Xbox Gold Price Increase Cancelled

Burstawesome

13 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

MS didn't even have the balls to create or price a 12-month service nor was anyone bold enough to put their name to the official release. 

There are only two other companies. What part of Nintendo's online do you think will pass for $120 a year?

Sony's online is functional but they cut back on PS+ games while slightly increasing save capacity. How would $120 a year play for Sony?

What is really happening is MS is creating value for the Gamepass Ultimate bundle. Previously, you would save no money from just buying GP and buying Gold vs buying GPU. Now the price hike on Gold has made the price of GPU make sense.(In a completely ass backwards way)

Don't worry, you'll figure it out one of these days. Also, lol @ "creating value."

13 minutes ago, effdeegee said:

Don't worry, you'll figure it out one of these days. Also, lol @ "creating value."

There isn't anything in this topic for me to figure out. 
The Xbox Gold price hike's reasoning is plain as day.
The "b-b-but Sony and Nintendo will do it, just wait and see" works to the extent of inflation being a fact of life.

However, them eventually increasing prices isn't the same reason as Xbox today nor will it be a reaction to Xbox's increases today.

The increase they will do will also not likely be $120 per year for their respective services.

• Like 1

What the... and as Microsoft seemingly was working hard to build a reputation for themselves as "good guy Microsoft". The increase being so extreme could mean there may be a lot to this internally. Perhaps Gamepass is doing badly and some people are questioning it considering Gold does fine so they're now trying to kill Gold and shift people over to Gamepass to justify continuing/investing so much in it.

The terrible thing is there really should be a space for people who just want online. They could have easily stripped Gold of the fluff and had just that for a heavily reduced price. It'd be something to hold over Sony. Speaking of which, Sony management clearly will be mulling over packaging PSNOW with Plus and doubling their own prices now which would be terrible if it were to happen. The only saving grace is by all accounts Sony makes so much cash from their first party games that such a thing, which would require them to put those games on the service day 1, would reduce their profits, not increase them.

• Like 2

It's good to know that Sony too can trigger the gamer mob outrage but you'll suck it up and pay anyway. Which is exactly why these companies get away with it. The gaming community in general, is perhaps in my experience the sole community with a lot of talk, but not walking the walk. If Sony would decide to follow suit, you can be damn sure I am never getting PS plus. Paying 120 euros to use my internet lmao. Yeah no thanks. 

• Like 3

I saw another post online that said the real power move would be Sony saying “we have reduced PS+ to $50/year!”

im not concerned because PS Now is still a separate service and they are not forcing the bundling of PS+ & PS Now down our throats (yet.)

Are gamers struggling that hard financially to where 60$ every 6 months is too much? Still seems relatively cheap compared to what you're getting and the cost of other subscription based services nowadays. Same can be said for ps plus where you get online storage, huge discounts on sales and like 36 games every year. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk

4 minutes ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Are gamers struggling that hard financially to where 60$ every 6 months is too much? Still seems relatively cheap compared to what you're getting and the cost of other services about nowadays. 

??? The value of Gold was already less than Plus to start with and now with this there is no comparison. You can add Nintendo to that that have more value. The real kicker though is Microsoft is also pushing PC right now and are all about "gaming is for everyone", and yet are making their Xbox customers pay a ridiculous amount for what is free on PC. I've had thoughts Microsoft intends to kill Xbox and honestly this only adds to the idea.

Even forgetting the possible knock on effects it can have pricewise with their competitors... it's just a baffling business decision. Yes yes, get people on gamepass. Have they forgotten that there is a significant group out there who are big into the CoDs, Fortnite, so forth and near nothing else? Gamepass? They don't care for that, they just want online. Doubling the price is likely to completely sink them with that demographic.

Looks like they got scared of how many people will boycott the Xbox series X over this.
I probably would have been on that list, guess I might still consider on getting one at some point this if they leave that idea alone.
Even though I never subscribed to Xbox live.
Hopefully Sony doesn't get any ideas.

Edited by Nightstream88

Just incase you are not familiar with the Xbox system it is very easy to earn enough points to get Ultimate Gamepass / Gold per month at 35k pts for 3 months. I haven't had to pay for it for 6 months and don't expect that to change in the future. It would be wonderful for Sony to offer something similar. I would be more than happy to forgo their Psplus games and pay a nominal amount for the online service. Perhaps with all their innovation they might offer something for gamers that use it as a second system to keep them interested

Up until yesterday night, I didn't know that Xbox players needed a paid online subscription to pay free-to-play games online. Thought it was a bit scummy. At least they've changed that.

Kudos to Xbox for being big enough to admit that they screwed up but this whole incident reminds me of the Battlefront 2 "sense of pride and accomplishment". A company seeing how far they can take the piss with their consumers until there's a massive pushback and outcry. They got greedy and got caught. There's probably a few people who stocked up on Live cards/subscriptions when the news broke yesterday so they've made some money there. If they wanted more people to be on the Gamepass plan, then cancelling Live as a separate entity would have done the trick. Throw in the news that FTP games will not need a subscription and that's a much better pill to swallow. Hiking the price up on Gold wasn't the way to do it and only succeeds in annoying the playerbase and giving their PR team nervous breakdowns.

It seems for every good move Xbox makes, they're cursed to make a bad one that cancels it out. The backwards compatibly is better and Gamepass is a concept I wish Sony would copy to an extent. I'd be happy to pay a bit more a year for a PS Plus/Now combo bundle but every now and again, Xbox will make a boneheaded decision that undermines all their good points. There's a real cursed monkey paw vibe to their business announcements.

I'm somewhat surprised that Microsoft reversed course this quickly.

The next thing they need to do is make online multiplayer on Xbox 360 and Xbox One free, but this may be a 'throw the baby out with the bath water' situation and they can't. Either that or sunset Xbox Live Gold altogether and have Game Pass Ultimate be the only way you can get it. Plus, you get access to their library too.

This was to warm people up to a mere 50% price increase in the next 6 months that people will thank Microsoft for, using this doubling in price to justify Microsofts generosity. 

2 minutes ago, POEman553 said:

The next thing they need to do is make online multiplayer on Xbox 360 and Xbox One free, but this may be a 'throw the baby out with the bath water' situation and they can't.

They had already decided and implemented their plan to double the price on their service and yet there are still people thinking there is even a possibility of them going completely the opposite direction and expecting them to make parts of their paid service free?

• Like 3