Is a 100% account worth it?

undeaduser666

I am currently having this debate with myself.

I have never achieved 100% on my profile after over 12 years despite considering myself a completionist.

I’d like to do it just once even if it’s only for a day but despite being the closest I have ever been i’m finding it hard to play with such a limited choice of games currently installed. 

In the past I’ve always had at least 10 to 20 games on the go at once and I think a lot of completionists prefer to play games one at a time and complete before moving onto the next although I might be wrong on that. It’s not something I could do. But I do just want to complete my profile one time so I can say I did it!!

For me personally, it’s not worth it, though in some ways I fall on both sides of the argument. My profile was locked out of 100% very early on with Fifa 09 and Fifa 10 both taking online trophies away before I ever really got to grips with trophies. By this point I had also played all the guitar hero games which I’ll openly admit that I’ll never have the skill to complete (and now they’ve lost online too). In a way that has been a blessing because I’ve never had to force myself to play a game I’m not enjoying to 100%, I can tell myself if I’m not enjoying it, leave it. I may come back to it one day. I tried on 3 separate occasions to complete InFamous, but I just really didn’t like it. Some games on my list have a time line of up to 9 years for completion because I’ve walked away several times and came back. 

At the same time, there has been some games that I’ve really enjoyed, but considered “tough” 100%s that I’ve played to completion and that has been very rewarding, giving me a sense of achievement. Games like Killzone 2, Battlefield BC 2, BF3 and BF4 I completed 100% with no boosting involved. But I did these games either whilst at university or working part time, I had much more free time to do this, as I’ve become more of an adult with responsibilities, I don’t get the time anymore. 

I think 2019 I only managed 4 platinums, my lowest in a long time and I wanted to rectify that and ended up getting over 60 last year to hit my target of 200 total. The downside is I found myself playing(and paying for) a lot of crap games that I didn’t really get the enjoyment out of. This year I’m trying to focus more on open games that will bring my overall completion rate up, I’m sitting marginally below 75% right now, I’m aiming to get to above 80% this year. I’ve only managed to get 1 platinum because of this though so far. What I would say here is that yes perhaps the completionist aspect does affect your ranking, because you spend more time on more awkward trophies, bringing your total trophy points potential down compared with stacking lots of crap games. 

I also agree with the argument that it’s possible (probable?) to lose interest in a good game before getting 100% and that can leave the wrong impression of an otherwise good game. I’m currently 2 trophies away from plants vs zombies, but as there is no in game counter on kills I have no idea how many kills I have left to complete, this is frustrating. I had the same issue when I did Warhammer with 40k kills. I also had a problem with nba 2k14, where a glitch kept me from an easy trophy to get a 0.02% rare plat for 6 years...that was very rewarding to finally do, but put me off all nba games since. 

Play games the way way you want, for me, I set targets each year, I’m comfortable knowing I’ll never be 100%, but if I wanted to, I could have a 100% year. 

• Like 2

I've not had a 100% account since January 23rd last year & that's because I refuse to pay what they are asking asking for the Kingdom Hearts Re:mind DLC, infact I have no plans to pay anything more than half price for it considering how little the DLC actually gives in terms of new content. At the time I thought it would annoy me, turns out it hasn't seeing as I stuck to my principals.

Same again with Watch Dogs Legion, I had no plans to play that until the Wrench DLC comes out but my season pass wasn't working & Ubisoft wanted me to load up the game to prove I have it as they couldn't see it on my account until I had so now it's just sat there until the Wrench DLC finally releases.

I don't get as much time for games as I used to, life likes to get in the way as you get older so I generally stick to a single game at a time & play whatever I like. This is why it can sometimes takes me 1-2 weeks to finish a game other people are doing in in a couple of days.

I also still play Overwatch as that's the only multiplayer game myself & my sister both enjoy & can play together.

I do play games with multiplayer as most seem to include some form of online these days but I will admit I do sometimes get infuriated with games that force you to rely on working with other players to earn things (Destiny, GTA 5 etc) as trolls, less skilled or less knowledgeable players or even people too low level/geared que for things they know they aren't ready for in attempt to leech unfortunately bring everything to a grinding halt.

Do I look at trophy lists before I buy games? More often than not no I don't, most games I buy these days are games I know before that I want or new releases so I get them on release day or very shortly after so often trophy lists aren't live at that point or I'm just avoiding spoilers as I play a lot of story driven games.

In terms of difficulty, that doesn't deter me either as I like a challenge, I have no fun when I'm walking through a game just destroying everything or could walk through blindfolded & still succeed. I start most games on hard, not only does it teach me to learn game mechanics better, it often helps me reduce my game time by a full playthrough which is very valuable for someone who lacks time to play games but wants to get 100%. I'm a firm believer that Grounded Mode on the original The Last of Us is the game Naughty Dog intended for us to play but had to tone down the difficulty for the majority of players leading to the easier difficulties. I get a challenge isn't for everyone & that is fair enough but I've never liked doing things easier & games are no different.

I also forgot to add that I do sometimes player small games to fill gaps when I know there's a big game coming out I want to play & I don't want to start another big game beforehand, I most recently did this before Outriders & after Persona 5 Strikers, I had a week to kill which wasn't enough to do any of the big games I have ready to play so I used that time to finally play Astrobot, Ratchet & Clank & the Avengers DLC.

Edited by ObsceneSociopath

Completion never used to bother me until last year when I had a LOT of time to game. I've worked on it from around 60% to 68% in a year and I'm still going. 

But as far aspiring to get a 100% profile i would never do that. I have severe idontknowwhattoplayitis, sometimes it's easy to jump to the next game, sometimes it's not. I only imagine it would be worse if maintaining 100%. Yeah i have games i regret starting but thats gaming, gaming should be about the games and not stress

• Like 1

I have been trophy hunting since 2010 when I was 12 years old. Back then I had another account with some unobtainable platinums and also a lot of FIFA games that I used to play with my friends. 

I did my best to complete whatever I could, with some unforgettable moments such as boosting an (extremely difficult) online trophy for the multiplayer of Uncharted 2 or completing all Easter eggs in Black Ops 1. I had tons of fun. 

However I wasn’t satisfied with my game list and completion rate, so once I bought a PS4 I decided to create my current account.

Since I don’t want to be obsessed with trophies, I’ve decided what was really important to me in terms of gaming:

FUN—> I play what I REALLY want to play. I don’t want to waste my time in trash-easy-platinum games 

HIGH PERCENTAGE —>

- If what I want to play has an extremely grinding plat, I’ll play it on another account without worrying about trophies.

- If it’s difficult I’ll do it anyway, I like the challenge if it’s done correctly. 

This way I can play whatever I want and still maintain a high percentage without becoming obsessed.

9 hours ago, AriieSiiS_- said:

I guess now cod's are the only games with abusive dlcs, when literally right now I'm playing ac revelations that has a dlc of 10 euros that last for 2 hours, 3 if you get all the trophies, Drakengard 3 with a dlc of 30 euros that lasts a few hours, etc

I can't help that you invested in games with bad dlc's, but your original claim is still ridiculous. I have a 100% account, with dlc's, and haven't spent these supposed riches you say are part and parcel with 100% accounts. It's almost like you're not right, and that actually it just comes down to some devs being greedier than others, and that you can probably know those devs before you start playing their games

I propose to always value all trophies needed for the plat plus the plat itself at 100% . If you want to go over 100% by doing some DLC if you like it, fine. Then you're actually going above and beyond, the way DLC was originally intended.

I will never buy all the DLC for every single game just to stay at 100%. But then again, I am also sick and tired of people posting topics about "Please stop adding DLC because now I HAVE to buy it" (plus some remarks about OCD thrown in for good measure).

• Like 2

It won't affect ranking and leaderboards. Is it worth it though? That really depends on the person.

Gaming has always been about enjoyment and having fun - if striving for the perfect profile takes that away from you, making it feel more like a chore or perhaps a constant pressure of keeping that 99.9% completion rate, then maybe it's not worth it in the long run.

If that is not the case then I guess there is no harm, as long as you're having a good time while doing it.

• Like 3

not worth it as you have to constantly go back to games every time they bring out new dlc and also buy dlc that you might not be interested in to keep changing games back to 100%.  You are also limiting yourself as many games no longer 100%able meaning you cannot start those games meaning less trophies available for u to attempt

Unless you want your life to revolve around a digital checklist I say you avoid the rankings and as for 100% who gives a shit? I believe you 100% a game because you really enjoyed it that much not out of necessity to make your profile look "perfect" that kinda mindset just seems off. I don't have much experience with console but when I'm on pc, and I 100% a game I want to feel a sense of satisfaction the feeling that I've done all I could do in this game I really enjoyed and due to that I never play most the games I 100% ever again.

When you solely focus on that 100% rather than the content of the game and how much you enjoy it ends up feeling like a bore than a chore and eventually starts sucking the life out of you. There will always be frustrating trophies but a when a game stops being a game I just move on to the next game sure I could get the 100%, but it wouldn't be a sense of satisfaction just a rather bitter feeling towards that game and I don't think you would want that at least I wouldn't.

Edited by Sir_TyroneOBE

Most of the 100% profiles I have seen have few ultra rare platinums or avoid difficult games. Recently in the past year I have been cleaning out my list going back to finishing games I played several years ago. I will never have a 100% completion account, but a 90%+ completion is good enough for me. I started playing a sports game MLB 10 The Show long before I was seriously interested in trophy collecting, and I have unobtainable online trophies in that game. I am NOT going to start over because of that 1 game, when I have several platinum trophies that cannot be obtained today when starting a fresh new account. 

Unfortunately my english is trash but I'll try to explain it.

DEPENDS ON YOUR GOALS

Are you going to platinum games because you like the game? Or are you going to platinum games because its easy?

For example:

I think it's more worthy to have a 70% psn profile with almost impossible trophies than having a 100% psn profile with easy trophies only.

My case:

I have a 100% profile because it's what I want, I think it's something that makes me keep grinding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I can't help that you invested in games with bad dlc's, but your original claim is still ridiculous. I have a 100% account, with dlc's, and haven't spent these supposed riches you say are part and parcel with 100% accounts. It's almost like you're not right, and that actually it just comes down to some devs being greedier than others, and that you can probably know those devs before you start playing their games

with that you are just proving me right, what good does it do you to have 100% rel on the account if because of that you have decided not to play many games of which probably many you would love to play and you don't do it because of dlc's or because they have online? I don't regret playing cod's because in all of them I have hundreds of hours online with my friends and had a great time, which is what video games are all about, not making me an account in 2018 to play 40 games of which the vast majority have 20-15% platinums like you have done. Literally what's so positive or good about that? Hint: nothing. 

12 hours ago, AriieSiiS_- said:

Regardless of everything they tell you, it is worth it if you are rich, if you are a normal person you CANNOT have a 100% account because ALL video games have DLC'S that are never or almost never on a discount. If for example I wanted to have 100% in my account, removing the impossible games, I would have to spend 200 euros on dlc's of call of duty zombie maps for games that I bought when I was a teenager for 10 euros simply to get a couple of trophies in a ps3 deadgame, worth? If you have money to spare then yes, but for a normal person there is no way it can be profitable to spend so much money on something like that.

Where do you live that 200 is a lot of money because I need to move there. I would actually be rich then.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KennethMcCormick said:

"Profiles are based on four principles: 100%, 100%, 100% and 100%."

- Gandhi

"I learned to plat as a baby and I haven't had a 99% since."

- Marilyn Monroe

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that 100% not a game into their profile, but climbeth up the leaderboard some other way, the same is a thief and a robber."

- Jesus Christ

"I would like to be remembered as a person who wanted to 100%… So other people would also get 100%."

- Rosa Parks

"Nefertari keeps calling me a n00b because I don't have a 100% profile."

- Ramesses II

"There's more to 100% than being a gamer."

- Amelia Earhart

"The supreme art of gaming is to 100%ing the game without platting."

- Sun Zi

"100% for all! 100% for all! 100% for All!"

- Louise Michel

"If only I had tried for a 100%, I wouldn't have had time to endorse a shitty cult."

- Steve Jobs

"100% is gone. 100% has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."

- Mother Teresa

... or you could not give a shit . Your choice.

This is the greatest day in the history of my life... I just want to say one thing to my wife at home: "Hey, yo Adrian, I have 100%!"

Robert "Rocky" Balboa, Rocky II (1979)

So, we meet again, Obi-Wan. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but a NOOB, now I am 100%er.

Darth Vader, Star Wars (1977)

Remember where you are: This is Thunderdome. Death is listening & will take the 1st one who doesn't have 100%.

Aunty Entity, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985)

100%? Where we are going, we don't need 100%.

Dr. Emmett "Doc" Brown, Back To The Future (1985)

Going for 100% account is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you going to get.

Forrest Gump, Forrest Gump (1994)

I'll see myself out now.

Edited by kenseizenkai
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, PooPooBlast said:

Everytime those threads pop up it gives me a chuckle. No offense to you op.

What's worth it or not should depend on you... If you want to stack phat rat plats and miss out on great games because they're "hard or challenging" for the sake of having a 100% profile and that makes you happy, then go for it.

Or if you're also hardcore, have godly skills and you're better than the average player so you can get a 100% profile including the difficult games, then also go for it. 

Or if you want to have a good time playing games not worrying about trophies per se then also go for it. 

Or if you want to complete as many games as possible to 100% to have a high completion rate but not necessarily at 100% then also go for it. 

Point is........ play how ever the heck you want dude. 

This is the only right answer of this thread.

• Like 1

Not worth it in my opinion. I know many that won't play games that they would otherwise enjoy simply because they find the trophy list too difficult.  Enjoy yourself, you're not going to win any awards for 100% or 30%.

• Like 1

If you exclude games in-play, I have a "100% profile" -- Skyrim VR is an indulgence for long weekends and holidays. Considering my trophies average to 33.78%/each it's statistically fair to say I don't "dodge" difficult games or Rata-stack.

Is it worth it?

To each their own. I've been gaming since before trophies and have always been inclined to do second playthroughs, personal challenges, etc. For me, trophies today are just an extension of self-made challenges so accomplishing 100% gives more reasons to explore and, ultimately, enjoy the games I play. :)

• Like 3