The Last Of Us Remake PS5

The only way I could get behind a remake of Last of Us is if it was a complete gameplay shift. Sprucing up the graphics on an already pretty game isn't going to cut it and there's not really many mechanics they could add that would completely change it in the 3rd person. There's two options I can think of that would justify a remake to me and the first one is a first person VR style. Having the clickers be able to hear noises through the mic so you'd have to keep quiet in areas with them sounds like an experience.

Second is a golfing simulator, although that's just for shits and giggles.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kevao97 said:

lol i think i am the only person who liked multiplayer. It is not the best experience, it is a potential wasted with microtransaction (just like Max Payne 3) but it is more a multiplayer of strategy and patience than shooting, punching and bombing. I liked.

No-one is ever the only person that likes something. The multiplayer aka Factions is not amazing, but I've had some fun with it. You're correct on the experience and potential being wasted. While there's still some lingering strategy involved, the Faction's quality had quickly declined after the patches and introduction of microtransactions and pay to win features. A lot of Uncharted multiplayer veteran players are use to the ruination of the online multiplayer in the studio's shooter titles post-release, as it's been a consistent phenomenon since U2 to TLOU. U4 and TLOU are not only the most recent examples but the worse as well. Several years after release I eventually purchased the exclusive DLC weapons, as I was too active online to keep persisting with the disadvantages and stagnant meta, including the way too common and (peoples') overreliance on overpowered weapons (like the incredibly obnoxious and infamous Tactical Shotgun). The "shooting, punching, and bombing" thing is actually present. The bombing, specifically, is actually worse in this game than other shooters because of the (broken) instant activation (smoke-bomb) and shorter fuse (smoke and nail-bomb). Overall there is some fun that can be had in Factions, but its strategic element and slower pace nature doesn't inherently make its multiplayer better or more balanced than any fast-paced shooter nor change the plethora of problems that plague it.

Edited by EcoShifter

***breaking news*** Sony plans to re-make Ghost of Tsushima.....get outta here Sony.  Ever since Layden left and this Herman Holtz guy took over, PlayStation been making horrible decisions.  Nobody wants this, nobody asked for this.  Days gone could have used a sequel, instead you want to make more uncharted games.  We’ve had enough drake.  Work on something new.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Alderriz said:

I don't like statements like this. When people (maybe unintentionally) make it look like gamers either liked TLOU2 or were gamergaters, trolls, or whatnot. Every time I read stuff like this, I want to remind that there are people who hated parts of this game for valid reasons that don't have to do with -isms or -phobias, voiced their opinions, and didn't harass anyone online. They exist. But in the end, different kinds of people are just being mixed together into one group. And it obviously works the other way around too.

Very much this. I didn't hate TLOU2, but I didn't like it either. It's probably more disappointment than dislike, but the dislike is there.

• Like 1

I don't really see the point of remaking a game that's almost a decade old and as far as I'm concerned is timeless anyway and I don't see why it would need the remake treatment. The article mentions Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was the original idea to get remade which is what I would much rather prefer since from what I understand it's not a bad game but it is pretty dated compared to the rest of the series.

1 hour ago, AgentSmiz said:

Second is a golfing simulator, although that's just for shits and giggles.

Reminds me of a shirt I saw on Redbubble featuring the text, "Abby Anderson / Wolf Golf / Champion" around two crossed golf clubs. I considered buying it; probably a better use of my limited income than games I'll never play.

VR Last of us would be a cool idea, although I think the mic thing would be very iffy, e.g. if you live in the middle of a busy city you'd be fucked. Or just somewhere where the wildlife is really noisy, like I do.

This is the best thing to happen ..For one I never played the game because of the multiplayer trophies. So, If this is going to be like the UC remastered titles it shoul only have the base game no muti trophies! I've been waiting for this a long time :) So, I can play the game waiting for almost 8 years now! hope the trophy list is like UC remastered :)  

Edited by Titanomachy_75

4 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Keep in mind that corporations tend to focus on short term profit so as to feed their hungry shareholders as opposed to long term sustainability. With how most of them are structured, they're actually pushed away from sustainability, because they need to constantly be expanding their profit margins. Wild that we live in a world where sustainability is a bad thing.

You always bring a valid point Baphomet. It's just sad, recently just appears to be dismissive of anything logical, on the outside at least. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Burzzz300 said:

***breaking news*** Sony plans to re-make Ghost of Tsushima.....get outta here Sony.  Ever since Layden left and this Herman Holtz guy took over, PlayStation been making horrible decisions.  Nobody wants this, nobody asked for this.  Days gone could have used a sequel, instead you want to make more uncharted games.  We’ve had enough drake.  Work on something new.

Fun Fact it was Shawn Layden the one that greenlighted that remake in 2017, NOT Hermen Hulst, in fact Hermen had the same reaction as US.

Why?? Its a waste of money.

Quotes from the Jason article:

"and the new boss wasn’t impressed", "Hermen Hulst, thought the remake project was too expensive and asked why the planned budget for T1X was so much higher than remakes Sony had made in the past."

Also the idea was from Shawn Layden, watch the interview that David Jaffe did in December, 2020 with Michael Mumbauer, he was the Head of the Visual Arts Service Group (its on YT),

and he says:

The original idea was to make movies of the PlayStation IPs (God of War, The Last of Us, etc) using the same CGI and engines from the games and NOT live action.

"The idea pivoted to developing a game because at that time Shawn Layden was very interested in REMAKES."

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Not interested in the game or PS5, but wouldn't it be better to come up with new games to market their new console? Or are they out of ideas after a lot of the creative talent left with Japan Studio.

This is an excellent point; the loss of the creative geniuses behind such masterworks as Knack and Knack 2 is sure to signal a death bell for Sony. How shall they ever recover?

• Like 1

My main issue with this is less with it in of itself, but rather with how the leadership at ND is seemingly being rewarded despite how they've been treating their employees.

No one can deny that TLOU II sold extremely well, and I obviously don't care about anything bigots or the like have to say about it.

That said, while I have issues with the game's writing and the execution of certain things, it is said leadership and poor treatment of the developers that infuriates me the most.

I don't doubt that ND will continue to make good games after this, but it bothers me that a lot of people who defend this game also seem to sweep this larger issue under the rug.

It's one thing to like the game despite this, which is fair, but I hope that this isn't numbing people to the reality of what happened behind the scenes during development.

Yet, despite the poor leadership, Druckmann has gotten a promotion, and now it seems like Sony's allowing for Naughty Dog to run amok like a tyrant on a power rush.

This is evidenced by them supposedly prying control over remakes of games that they've made in the past from other studios/developers' hands.

(In addition to potentially and forcibly absorbing these other studios, or scaring them away from working with them on anything out of fear that this will happen)

All of this seems purely due to the success of TLOU II, which I think is saddening and disagreeable at the very least.
I think it's important that this leadership and the treatment of ND's employees is improved going forward, but I doubt Sony cares to do so given the above.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

I know I’m not the first to say this but... what the fuck Sony? Why? That’s what Te secret San Diego team was working on? Firstly, why. Secondly, why switch and give it to Naughty Dog. Thirdly, why deny Bend Studio for a sequel to Days Gone and then switch them to this unnecessary remaster, and now they’re working on whatever the hell.

what a joke.

Sony’s really on a roll with dumb decisions.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

My main issue with this is less with it in of itself, but rather with how the leadership at ND is seemingly being rewarded despite how they've been treating their employees.

Yeah, from what I've heard it's a really brutal workplace; I guess squeezing your employees for every last drop of blood pays in dividends. I sincerely hope game developers start unionizing soon, because the state of the industry as is is atrocious, between the brutal crunch time you see at companies like ND, many EA studios, CDPR, etc, plus stuff like those stories of people needing therapy after doing gore research for games like Mortal Kombat.

26 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

All of this seems purely due to the success of TLOU II, which I think is saddening and disagreeable at the very least.
I think it's important that this leadership and the treatment of ND's employees is improved going forward, but I doubt Sony cares to do so given the above.

To be fair, hasn't ND been on a roll for quite a while, now? TLOU 1 performed incredibly, while being much less controversial than 2, then Uncharted 4 was a blockbuster; it's been a string of hits from them from a while. But yes, in general corporations aren't our friends and unless there's significant backlash over working conditions (which is unlikely, as employees are neither lootboxes nor female bodybuilders) they probably won't do anything to improve working conditions.

I feel like in general, Sony's gotten that feeling of being an unbeatable giant with just how successful the PS4 was - it might actually be a good thing if Microsoft one ups them this generation since you really do need strong competition, or else corporations start getting complacent.

• Like 2

I completed it last year and my feeling was that it looks really good. Not much worse than some more modern titels like FFVII Remake. But i can see why the do this. TLOU1 is one of the best selling sony titles on ps3 and ps4. They want to sell some on ps5 as well. And most likely it will be extremly successful.

Edited by Storfl_92
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Yeah, from what I've heard it's a really brutal workplace; I guess squeezing your employees for every last drop of blood pays in dividends. I sincerely hope game developers start unionizing soon, because the state of the industry as is is atrocious, between the brutal crunch time you see at companies like ND, many EA studios, CDPR, etc, plus stuff like those stories of people needing therapy after doing gore research for games like Mortal Kombat.

To be fair, hasn't ND been on a roll for quite a while, now? TLOU 1 performed incredibly, while being much less controversial than 2, then Uncharted 4 was a blockbuster; it's been a string of hits from them from a while. But yes, in general corporations aren't our friends and unless there's significant backlash over working conditions (which is unlikely, as employees are neither lootboxes nor female bodybuilders) they probably won't do anything to improve working conditions.

I feel like in general, Sony's gotten that feeling of being an unbeatable giant with just how successful the PS4 was - it might actually be a good thing if Microsoft one ups them this generation since you really do need strong competition, or else corporations start getting complacent.

really hope that developers start unionizing as well, both as someone who wants to possibly become part of the industry, but also because it hurts to see people treated like this.

And yeah, that's a great point, as ND has been on a roll for quite some time now.

(Although I suppose that they've kind of always been on a roll, in a sense, considering how highly regarded games like Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Daxter are?) 

I suppose it just seems like TLOU II specifically has led to a lot of these things happening as of late, but I could easily be mistaken of course.

But I do completely agree that Sony's become complacent this generation, primarily due to how well the last one did.
I don't necessarily like Microsoft much right now either, but I do think that Sony needs a serious wakeup call, and Microsoft has thankfully been giving them a bit of one lately.

(i.e Pushing them to allow for cross-platform play between multiplayer multi-platform games, something Sony should've had ages ago)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I really don't see how that justifies cannibalizing their other studios, cancelling their projects to get their teams assimilated into ND projects, like they're the Borg.

17 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

"Start". Let's see what Sony has been doing the last few years.

• Made PS+ obligatory for PS4 (I would let them have that one back then, PS+ was huge value at the time regardless)
  • Cut down the monthly games from 6 to 2 (later 3 when PS5 came into the picture)
  • Raised its price from 50 to 60
  • Cut online functionality from first party titles like DriveClub and even delisted it completely less than 5 years after release
  • Let PS3 and Vita out of the revamped browser store
  • Actively made the choice to break the workaround the community had found
  • Now shutting down their stores completely
  • Let's not forget how recent events brought to light that the PS4 will refuse to even play discs if it's internal clock dies, while they had hypocritically 1 upped Microsoft at its release by pointing out how integral the offline disc play was to its ecosystem

Nobody's unbeatable and too big to fall. That's what Microsoft thought they were when deciding to make the shitshow that was the xbone. Look at them just one generation later, having made a complete course correction and turned the game pass into the huge value that PS+ used to be. I'd rather return to PC than start over with a new console ecosystem, but I hope Sony eats their dust this generation and gets a wake-up call.

• Like 3