why's it called 'PC Master race'?

rockstarjazz

There are several, but it mainly deals with how certain PC gamers view the power(lack thereof) of earlier console generations.  Prior to the PS5/XBOX Series, gaming at 4k/60fps wasn't achieveable on the older systems.  PC's, with enough money dropped into the graphics cards and processors could not only play at 4K-60, but would often run easier games at resolution/fps numbers such as 1440p/164fps or 1080p/240fps.  That would be probably the biggest, but others include a ton more games available, almost 100% backwards compatibility with older games and the use of a mouse and keyboard vice solely relying on a controller.

• Like 3

From my perspective, due to the way PC always has been the de facto point of comparison in terms of graphics, optimization and modding when it comes to games and similar matters. Consoles are constantly being ripped by the PC community due to being already obsolete in hardware, and requiring the purchase of a new device in order to have an improved experience, while on PC, you just upgrade your components.

It's mostly thrown around nowadays to refer to the most die-hard members of the bunch. In the end, we are all gaming anyways.

• Like 2

It's mainly a joke but up until very recently console offered nothing over PC other than the fact it was simpler to use, the  barrier of entry was easier and exclusive games.

With the advent of the new gen the gap has closed in terms of performance  (mainly due to stagnation in graphical progression). Howevsr PC is still the best platform if you want the cheapest games, most choice in games (even more so now that Sony has started releasing some of its exclusives on PC) and just options in general. (120hz-300hz, controller choices, mods, unrestricted platforms, older game support etc)

Edited by Dan-lives-here

3 hours ago, damcrac5 said:

That would be probably the biggest, but others include a ton more games available, almost 100% backwards compatibility with older games and the use of a mouse and keyboard vice solely relying on a controller.

As a PC gamer that plays almost everything with an Xbox gamepad, I can confirm that a lot of PC elitists pretty much react like this:

Edited by EverythingOnFire
  • Like 3

I mean, the phrase in itself is mostly a goof... but you don't have to look far to find a PC gamer that has a list of reasons why PC is better than console ready at a moments notice and 100 YouTube videos corroborating that point.  It wouldn't shock me if some people who otherwise might prefer console, stick with PC due to the misguided notion of superiority that rings through some circles.

And the fact that a lot of said points aren't directly debatable like raw power of high end PC components, Steam sales, versatility of the platform with mods and accessories, etc (though I can argue that some of these are indirectly detrimental to the experience)... makes more pungent the smell of their own farts they love so much.

Edited by Dreakon13

Started as a joke about PC gaming elitism. Was then used by said PC gaming elitists unironically. Was then used to make fun of said elitists even more. Is now used in popular gaming culture both ironically and unironically with most people not realizing what the phrase even originally meant.

Edited by Wavergray
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, MandA60VISE said:

It was some video from last year I believe but Yahtzee has even said he also hates the PC master race because of their cockiness.

I'd wager he's beyond any kind of hate at this point. I bet he's just numb to it all. I heard him say not too long ago that he could no longer suffer fools, and my first thought was, "boy, did you get into the wrong industry."

It started as a joke, then people who didn't know it was a joke tried to co-opt it. Then it became a joke making fun of those people. It's still just a joke. Anyone taking it seriously doesn't understand that people are actually making fun of them.

It is pretty much a joke about how some PC gamers considered themselves superior to "dirty console peasants" because they would spend ridiculous amounts of cash building a over-the-top gaming PC and then flex that superiority over those who didn't game on PC. It led to a decent amount of memes and jokes over the years (see example below):

maxresdefault.jpg

...and it also led to a video that poked all sorts of fun at those idiotic PC "Master Race" elitists who think having the best of the best PC and the ability to upgrade stuff (graphics cards, RAM, etc) whenever they want makes them gods among gamers. (WARNING: The video below can be considered to be semi-NSFW, so please do not watch this in a public place or at work).

Spoiler

• Like 1

Well, PC gaming has it's perks, sure.
But you'll be hard pressed to find a 500 euro PC that can do what the PS5 does.

And as far as cheaper games are concerned: there's plenty of sales on PSN. And then there's the second hand market for physical games.
As a sometime PC gamer with a pretty good gaming PC: what are discs again?

I'm not knocking any side. Some people love their PC's like I love my PS4 and PS5. Let 'm. It's all about having fun. 

Edited by dJordman