Xbox 360 marketplace will close on July 29 2024

karanjitmann400

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/08/17/xbox-360-store-will-close-july-2024/amp/

FAQ 

We hope to get ahead of some of your questions below:

Can I still play my Xbox 360 games after July 2024?

Yes, you will still be able to play the games you purchased on Xbox 360. If you purchased the game digitally or have a physical disc, you can still jump in and play. If you’ve deleted a game that you have purchased, but you want to play again, you’ll still be able to re-download it.

What about multiplayer games via the Xbox network? Can I still play with my friends?

Yes. Even after July 2024, you will still be able to play games and connect with friends through multiplayer on the games you purchased, as long as the publisher still supports the online servers. You can still save your games and progress to the cloud, and if you choose to continue any of those available games on Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S, those cloud saves will transfer over.

Can I still buy and play Xbox 360 backward-compatible titles?  

There is no impact to purchasing or playing backward-compatible Xbox 360 titles.  After July 29, 2024, you will still be able to purchase hundreds of great backward-compatible Xbox 360 and Original Xbox games and DLC on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox.com. We believe in celebrating gaming’s rich history and have worked hard to preserve as many games as possible through our backward-compatibility program. You can find the full list of backward-compatible titles here.

Edited by karanjitmann400
  • Like 4

Interesting, but atleast with XBOX it is backwards compatible so nothing is really "lost" in comparison to PS3 were it it will be all gone.

But I hope Sony doesnt act on this. With both nintendo shutting down storefronts beginning of this year and xbox next year, that really makes way for sony doing the same without backlash, because they do it as well 👉👉

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bumperklever said:

Interesting, but atleast with XBOX it is backwards compatible so nothing is really "lost" in comparison to PS3 were it it will be all gone.

But I hope Sony doesnt act on this. With both nintendo shutting down storefronts beginning of this year and xbox next year, that really makes way for sony doing the same without backlash, because they do it as well 👉👉

Not everything is back compat, though. There are still quite a few games that have DLC that were never made back compat, same with XBLA games. There will be backlash, and mark my words MS will reverse the decision.

Funny how the opening bit talks about preservation, then shortly after announces the closure for the store. Yeah, thanks guys. If this was them announcing that they were disabling card payments, I'd be fine with that (since the 360 still supports debit/credit cards for some reason)

• Like 3

What I find curious is that the media so far has not made a fuss about this announcement, much less the closure of the WiiU and 3DS eShop. But when the rumor first appeared that Sony would close the PS Store on the PS3/Vita it spread quickly, not to mention the fake news of saying that it is the PSN and not the PS Store.

Although the X360 games are "emulated" in backwards compatibility, it is not feasible to have them all due to the renewal of certain licenses, but anyway they did something for preservation more than PlayStation and Nintendo together.

• Like 1

Well, Sony originally tried to shutdown the PS3 and PS VITA storefronts back at 2021, with the initial date being July 2nd. However, after the backlash they took a step back from doing this. Article can be read here -https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/19/playstation-store-on-ps3-and-ps-vita-will-continue-operations/

After seeing the news from the Microsoft side, I’m pretty much worried about Sony attempting this for the second time.

One thing to note that not all countries have access to PS3 cloud streaming and not all PS3 games are available on the PS+ Premium lineup.

I really hope that Sony does something about this, considering all the scenarios…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Breakingthegreen said:

Sony did form a preservation team last year, no idea if it's still around, but hopefully they'd reccomend against any shutdowns.

I know exactly when this misnomer started. 
Game preservation is about making sure the original code for a game remains intact and accessible for future use/development.  It is not about making sure that a copy(a game disc/cart/download/etc) remains accessible, purchasable, and playable for everyone in the future.

3 hours ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

That's actually pretty wild, seeing as the new Xbox consoles have a lot of 360 backwards compatibility. 

Oh nevermind if I could read, it looks like those titles will still be purchasable. 

Only those that went through their BC program which they've discontinued, so no more will be added.

1 hour ago, LucasDragon570 said:

What I find curious is that the media so far has not made a fuss about this announcement, much less the closure of the WiiU and 3DS eShop. But when the rumor first appeared that Sony would close the PS Store on the PS3/Vita it spread quickly, not to mention the fake news of saying that it is the PSN and not the PS Store.

It isn't a surprise. Microsoft astroturfs heat away from themselves and heat on PlayStation big time. The media is also in their pocket by and large due to all the access, interviews, and goodies they gift the media. Notice how many in the media see Microsoft's guys like Spencer as their 'friend', meanwhile Jim Ryan is a mean overlord that is to be hated. Why? Because Spencer gives them stuff and tell them they're great, while Ryan doesn't. Completely pathetic, but such is much of the gaming media.

3 hours ago, ZenaxPure said:

And yeah, what MS has done is wayyyyyyy better than Sony but as someone who plays a lot of old games I've never been satisfied with it myself, I'd vastly prefer a generic emulator that could play any 360 game even if it wasn't enhanced. I've beat 4 Xbox 360 games this year (not a lot I admit but I play on every console pretty much so my spread of platforms is wide) and 3 of those weren't backwards compat lol.

PlayStation did the PS3 game streaming a decade back. Companies that are behind do these minor things, in the grand scheme of things, to gain goodwill. Once they get back ahead the goodwill disappears because it is no longer needed. The difference with Microsoft is as they only ever lose ground it means that when they take away the goodwill, like with the BC program, they're doing it when they're further behind than when they started. Stupid and bad business, but that is how Xbox operates. Consequence of having essentially unlimited money and management who no matter how much they fail stay on because the boss likes them.

8 minutes ago, PIOTREK27-1982 said:

I hope you are right. For now i think they will can PS Store for PS3 and VITA next year. 

It would be quite the surprise if Sony didn't use this news to try, successfully this time, to shut those stores down. What I'm wondering is why they don't just shut down the stores on PS3/Vita and then transfer stuff to the current store. Buying the games on that store while not allowing you to then play it on PS4/5, gives you the license to download it to your connected PS3/Vita from the online store. 

You're likely correct though yeah, which is why I'll at some point soon be getting some of the few things I've not yet gotten on the Vita store.

• Like 2