The Last of Us Part II Remastered announced - January 19th 2024, $10 upgrade path

Abby_TheLastofUs

Will you buy/play the remaster?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy/play the remaster?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, depending on the price
    • I'll wait till it hits one of the PS+ tiers

9 hours ago, Jacko_the_lad said:

I remember the days when Naughty Dog used to make new games.

Now they just add a survival mode to an existing game and are like "hey, buy this again".

I remember when they made a new ip every gen, their games were fun and had multiplayer.

It's in the past now. When Sony releases one game a year the only thing you can do now is eat a bigot sandwich that was half eaten by someone else. 

• Like 1

Every time there is news about The Last of Us, I'm reminded that I need to get started on the multiplayer for The Last of Us: Remastered before Sony shuts it down in favor of this supposed GaaS game or something.

While the new features seems pretty cool, it's really incredible that all of Naughty Dog's offerings on PS5 are just old content. Three years into this new console generation, and they still haven't produced anything new, lol.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Every time there is news about The Last of Us, I'm reminded that I need to get started on the multiplayer for The Last of Us: Remastered before Sony shuts it down in favor of this supposed GaaS game or something.

While the new features seems pretty cool, it's really incredible that all of Naughty Dog's offerings on PS5 are just old content. Three years into this new console generation, and they still haven't produced anything new, lol.

They released a game in 2020 and modern AAA games take 5+ years to make. 2020 is the year the PS5 came out.

Ragnarok took 6 years, Horizon 2 took 5 years, Days Gone is older than TLoU2, Ghost of Tsushima is the same age as TLoU2, Polyphony has one game per gen.

If you think 3-4 years is long since Naughty Dog's last game then you don't have realistic expectations. 

Edited by iriihutoR84
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I'm hoping that you deliberately missed my point, because if you took the time to understand my post, you wouldn't have responded with this bullshit. So, let's hope you actually use whatever cognitive capabilities you possess to understand this message.

My. Fucking. God. How hard can it be to exchange opinions without resorting to shit like this? Try to argue like this in person and tell me how it went.

Edited by BloodyRutz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I'm hoping that you deliberately missed my point, because if you took the time to understand my post, you wouldn't have responded with this bullshit. So, let's hope you actually use whatever cognitive capabilities you possess to understand this message.

But, I'll elucidate further. My post wasn't about how three years has passed and there hasn't been a brand new game from them. I know all too well how much effort it takes to make a AAA game in modernity. My point was that all of their PS5 efforts are from either porting their old games, or remaking them. Three years in, we will have now three ports of PS4 games (all of them which were playable on PS5, by the way) and a remake at the time for a game that wasn't even a decade old and STILL playable on the PS5. 

All of the Naughty Dog offerings on PS5 are just the same experience again, not new ones. That was my point. As far as expectations go, I don't think it's irrational of me to be surprised that they haven't done anything new and all efforts are from retreading old grounds, or this barely disclosed GaaS game. 

I know your gimmick is to be argumentative about the industry or trophy hunting or whatever, but could you please not be stupid when you go about it? 

But what is the problem with the remasters? Do you think they have 500 people working on these and it's delaying their big games? Remasters are often outsourced or handled by very small teams. Allegedly this is largely handled by "new hires to get them in the game".

You're frankly sound upset because you are ignorant about how remasters are made. Or am I misunderstanding you? Why does it bother you that these are being made? 

Do you think this is what Naughty Dog has been primarily working on for three years since TLoU2? Reading your elaborated "point" makes it sounds like you think they are focusing on these remasters. Nothing implies that these remasters are delaying new games by any significant degree. 

7 minutes ago, iriihutoR84 said:

But what is the problem with the remasters? Do you think they have 500 people working on these and it's delaying their big games? Remasters are often outsourced or handled by very small teams. Allegedly this is largely handled by "new hires to get them in the game".

I don't have an inherent issue with remasters -- and I advocate for them when there isn't a modern option for playing these games. It isn't like the PS4 version of TLoU where you couldn't play that game natively on the console without that port. If these games were 100% outsourced, then it wouldn't have used any of ND's resources.

Doesn't really matter if it's a bunch of studio neophytes within ND -- that is still leveraging talent there for something unoriginal. I don't know why you keep on assuming I don't know anything about game development; I just got off of a project where my clients were Bandai Namco and FromSoftware, lol. I'm in gamedev.

12 minutes ago, iriihutoR84 said:

You're frankly sound upset because you are ignorant about how remasters are made. Or am I misunderstanding you? Why does it bother you that these are being made?

I'm not upset and nor does it bother me. I was only pointing out that I think it's numerous (and a little pathetic) that Sony's flagship studio has nothing new to show. That's less on ND and more on the state of the industry, but that's all my point was about.

14 minutes ago, iriihutoR84 said:

Do you think this is what Naughty Dog has been primarily working on for three years since TLoU2? Reading your elaborated "point" makes it sounds like you think they are focusing on these remasters. Nothing implies that these remasters are delaying new games by any significant degree. 

No, but there is no doubt that instead of focusing on offering solutions to problems that don't exist, we'd have something new from them.

No offense at this point man, but how are you this lost?

• Like 3

Remaster itself feels pretty superfluous, given that the Ps4 version looks and runs as well as most Ps5 games anyways…

…but on the other hand, if they released the new roguelike mode as a £10 dlc for the PS4, I’d most likely buy it, so the way I see it, the remastered main game is a free add-on to that, I suppose 😂

• Like 3