PS Vita physical games being discontinued in US and Europe

locutus442

Sadly I seen this coming, but it still really sucks... bad atmosphere onion head I only have 2 places around here where I can buy games, Walmart stopped selling Vita games a couple years back (about the time I got my Vita), I actually bought the last one too, Gravity Rush for $10... & the cashier was actually happy to finally be rid of it (it was there for a while). ? As for GS, their selection has been horrible lately, I barely have any physical games for the Vita, & I think my collection is better than theirs. :facepalm: 

it won't be long before i begin working through the vita physical list (there's some games i need to pick up).

but the lego dimensions will be in effect for some month's (it's a balancing act to get out of print stuff and pick up sets).

expected to go until january 2019.

Edited by kingdrake2

Damn I just bought Odinsphere, Little Kings Story, Metal Gear Solid HD and Disgea 4 selling fast on eBay and Amazon now with limited quantities :( I guess I better buy Legend of Heroes Trials of Cold Steel 1 & 2 soon as well whilst they are not too expensive. Oh and Tales of Hearts R! 

Edited by DarkSoleride

Ugh. Why? This means I’ll have to buy a better memory card. If i don’t get Persona 5 Dancing Star Night physically I’ll be disappointed. Time to start buying the physical Vita games left on my list

All of this work leads me to believe further that Sony is really planning to cut PlayStation Network support for PS3 and vita. I know it's been many people's argument against that by saying "But PSN is shared across all the platforms", however whenever they decide to release the PlayStation 5, they could very well make new PSN servers and only have their platforms from this generation of gaming included, while excluding platforms that used the old PSN servers. PSN for vita shutting down wouldn't be the thing that makes me retire from PSN eternally, but closing PSN for PS3 would be, as that console is the one where I invested most of my money and also have the most games for. Physical games aren't backwards compatible with PSP and vita, but digital games are so if they decide to cut PSN support for the vita console they could well make another portable console that lets you use your vita games on it. If they do ever announce shutting PSN for PS3, I will at least wait a little bit to see what the news about the PS5 will be, but if I find out that the only way to access PS3 games after they shut PSN for PS3 will be through PS Now then I will retire from PSN eternally and never look back. People ass lick Sony a lot, but aside from some good exclusives for their platforms, they're really a money-hungry company who doesn't give a shit about the customers. You don't often see Microsoft and Valve routinely shutting the flagship games of their platforms. I'll say that if you enjoy a game that is multi-platform and has multiplayer, make sure you're playing it on PC or xbox, because you know damn well the game will shut down on PSN before anywhere else 99% of the time. 

• Like 1

To be fair, considering the amount of games 1. coming out for Vita and 2. coming out physically for Vita, there's not really much of a production to end.

Like that's not even a dig at those who still think the Vita offers something, 99% of the shit coming out for it is digital only at this point, so.

1 hour ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Welp, Japan it is. Just as they rightfully should.

If west doesn't want my money, okay then.

Not that west released many physical games anyway.

The problem is that not all of us are fluent in Japanese (well, I actually am, but it's still much more comfortable reading a translation XD).

Our only hope are English Asia versions, now. Do Vita games usually ship with multiple languages? I would assume so.

Its really sad news. ☹️

But im not surprised, its already very hard to find a game store where they still sell vita games... and finding a brand new Ps Vita system is nearly impossible in EU and NA...

I'll try to get all of the vita games im interested in, this year and whoever is also interested in physical vita games should, because the prices will skyrocet in the coming years as the remaining stocks will run out.

Guess there will be physical vita releases in Japan for a few more years, but for most of us that is useless since we cant speak/read japanese.

Would be nice if japanese games included english texts, but that's just me dreaming. ?

• Like 1

Here in Italy the arrival of Retail Vita game stopped in 2014 anyway so nothing really different.

That's really sad, not that is stops now, i think it's normal since most of recent releases are Digital already, it's sad that it has Always, always been so hard or expensive to get Vita games retail comapred to Ps3 or 4 games....

Sadly nowadays kids (Or adults...) with their phone payed 100 €/$ Make the business and so we see the portable market goign to the stupid phones with Bad games yo get easy money, guess that ruined this kind of Market and we'll never see a portable console again... (And no i don't consider Switch Portable you can't just take it out of your pocket and play wherever) 

Edited by Sora9427
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jrdemr said:

The problem is that not all of us are fluent in Japanese (well, I actually am, but it's still much more comfortable reading a translation XD).

Me no care about uncultured weebs :awesome: 

10 minutes ago, POEman553 said:

The only positive I can see from this is I hope the digital prices for Vita games will drop across the board (from $40 standard to $20 standard). But the existing physical games will see their prices skyrocket in Gamestop/used games stores. 

Nah, instead they will raise as there won't be any alternative.

7 hours ago, Shadiochao said:

I think you've misunderstood the article. It's Sony that creates the game cards used for every physical release on the system. Now that they're stopping, no publisher will be able to release physical games for these regions.

You’re right. The articles title says one thing, the parts of the article says other things and there is no evidence of what they’ve actually seen show anywhere. 

At least Japan still makes the game cards and a publisher can still order them from there and distribute them.

Oh well, I’ve got enough games and not enough gaming time in the rest of my life to get through them.

We need Digital First Sale rights now more than ever.

14 minutes ago, Izul said:

I took the chance to buy a few Vita games from my wishlist in case they're going to increase the price for available physical releases. 

Same.

20 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Me no care about uncultured weebs :awesome: 

@Satoshi Ookami Since you're the Vita king 'round these parts, do you know if Vita game cards usually have multiple languages, like PS3 and PS4 games? Because if they do, I'm just going to switch all my physical Vita game purchases over to play-asia.

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

At least Japan still makes the game cards and a publisher can still order them from there and distribute them.

Can publishers just do that? Even if they can, won't the importing fees increase since the distance travelled is so much longer? If so, won't this still act as a deterrent for physical Vita releases in the West? At best, we'll have a price increase for physical games.

Edited by jrdemr

I guess that means I'll hold on to my factory sealed Vita games for a little while longer before selling them on Ebay. :D

But seriously, I'm surprised that it took them this long to pull the brakes. Personally, I'm all for them concentrating on a single platform and support it as much as they possibly can.

It's what has helped Nintendo in my opinion. The frequency and quality of their releases has increased ever since they stopped developing for two different systems and only have to make games for Switch now.

Edited by soniq