PS3 is now a chore?

Reinachii-

I have a stack of PS3 games still wrapped up and a few platinums in stasis too, I find using the PS3 a really clunky experience now i'm so used to PS4. I was reading this article recently about the PS5 though: https://ie.ign.com/articles/2019/02/01/new-sony-patent-has-fans-hoping-for-ps5-backward-compatibility

Which if it turns out the way it's being speculated on - it might mean a less clunkier and easy to access PS3 experience, because you'd be able to play that stuff on a PS5. I'm deliberately holding off on dusting off my PS3 on this basis until we know more about how the compatibility might work.

• Like 1

I get where you are coming from and I feel like it is a chore from time to time myself for sure.  Saying that though I've been giving my PS3 alot more love lately since getting hold of a new axe for guitar hero and completing the lists on some other fun games.  I don't think its the PS3 itself that becomes the chore but the games we are opting to play.  I enjoyed infamous 2 alot but did get bored doing the second run.  One game I'm finding a chore to finish is Batman arkham city.  I love the game and its one of the best games series of all time imo but those challenges get boring fast, especially having to do them all over again with the stupid modifiers.  I'll get it done one day but just have no motivation to do them.

I'm always switching between the PS4, PS3 and vita and I think its good to vary it up.  As long as you enjoy the games you play its never really a chore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MegaZeroXX said:

I've been switching from PS4 to PS3 and vice versa whenever I finished a game. Been doing this from the past 2 years and I never felt playing in PS3 is somewhat a chore. Honestly I feel more refreshed when playing on PS3. I still have my 9 year old unit very much alive and kicking. 

Hmhm~, likewise! Mainly for the Hatsune Miku games and Gundam VS FB ??

PS3 is a fantastic console, with a great library of games. How could it be a chore to go back to this amazing system? PS4 is now my main console too and that’s normal, since it’s the most modern console, but, honestly, PS3 will always be the best, for me. The games are better and the memories I made on that system are priceless.

• Like 2

the ps3 isn't a chore. in fact i might have to target some of my older games if i ever beat one piece pirate warriors 3 completely. even if they're indies they still count i even still use my vita. only one i don't use much is my VR.

Edited by kingdrake2

I don't mind playing on the PS3. Sure the PS4 is a bit faster and doesn't take 10 minutes to load the trophy list That's about it though. There are enjoyable games on either system.

Regarding Infamous in particular. The first and second were good when they came out. Now they feel a bit clunky to play. Visually SS is far better, but it's also running on a different engine and different hardware. There are 5 years between the first Infamous and SS, which when it comes to tech is a lot as tech evolves so damn fast. So it's kind of pushing it trying to compare them.

Edited by voodoo_eyes

Yup, I can’t bring myself to play it. My Ps3 is actually boxed away in my parents house and I do have a few games left over (Tales of Symphonia, DoTW, Disgaea D2) to platinum but can’t be bothered to dig it out, especially with my PS4 backlog. Also, the PS4 has so many great releases like KH3 and all the Atelier and FF remakes, and many PS3 games are also on the PS4 now like Okami, Tales of Berseria, Persona 5, Shining Resonance Refrain etc. 

Also with the PS5 soon on the horizon, there’s even less motivation to go back just for trophies. 

The ONLY chore I find is the constant closing of servers and the loss of 50% of the game, or the game entirely, because of it. The industry has been trying to kill itself now since 2008...with the HDD's and the Online abilities, it's both a blessing and a curse... Allowing developers to add-on content however it also gives them the ability to release sub-standard or unfinished products to be, or NOT to be, fixed at a later date... and the add-on content is also something misused by the industry (we all know how). Then you have games dependent on online servers or they won't function so you can't come back to play them once the support goes away, even the single-player portion of the game...

As for how many here find the PS3 graphics "dated"...I wonder if these same people are the same ones beating the bushes for re-releases of the PS2 titles...

Related image

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PSXtreme_ said:

The ONLY chore I find is the constant closing of servers and the loss of 50% of the game, or the game entirely, because of it. The industry has been trying to kill itself now since 2008...with the HDD's and the Online abilities, it's both a blessing and a curse... Allowing developers to add-on content however it also gives them the ability to release sub-standard or unfinished products to be, or NOT to be, fixed at a later date... and the add-on content is also something misused by the industry (we all know how). Then you have games dependent on online servers or they won't function so you can't come back to play them once the support goes away, even the single-player portion of the game...

As for how many here find the PS3 graphics "dated"...I wonder if these same people are the same ones beating the bushes for re-releases of the PS2 titles...

Add-on content has existed since expansion packs came to fruition back in the mid - late 1990s. PC games like Starcraft had an expansion pack, and that followed with Diablo 2's expansion pack a couple years later. The latter of which is one of the best expansion packs I ever got to play.

The problem is DLC is another money maker altogether. Another problem is these AAA games are so costly and time consuming to produce that developers feel it is necessary to cut what could of been content in the original game to instead be DLC that won't be released until months later.

It is disheartening to see a majority of AAA games now get at least two DLC packs, if not more. I do my best to buy the DLC and complete it since I'm a bit of a completionist, but paying for it all adds up quickly.

I will agree that this trend started in around 2006 - 2008, it wasn't anywhere near as bad. Now we have to worry about lootboxes and our children buying them through our credit cards.

I spend much more time on my PS3 than on my PS4 lately.

My PS3 is equipped with a 700 GB Kingspec SSD and a DS4 (properly configured though a CronusMax+ which destroys the "native" Sony driver). Everything is funnier on the PS3 and, yes, the inFamous games are so much better than Second Son.

I feel for those who are stuck with the PS4.

I generally have no issues switching back and forth between consoles. The DS3 does feel inferior but thankfully some games allow DualShock 4 support which is great. I can’t help but think that Gran Turismo 5 would be more manageable if it had DualShock 4 support...

Regarding inFamous 2, I thought it was a great game and I only played it for the first time last year. It was a whole lot better than Second Son, that’s for sure. 

I got my PS3 at launch and essentially grew up with it. I'll never get tired of going back to it and although I feel like I've played every PS3 game I wanted to (save for a few) I still have plenty in the backlog that need trophies done or DLC bought.

Yeah I play my PS4 way more these days but my PS3 sits proudly on my shelf ready to go whenever I want.

Oh and to the people complaining about the graphics; graphics do not and will never relate to how good a game is. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Reinachii- said:

Recently, I have been wanting to finish up the ps3 games i missed. 

But going back to play them is becoming a chore.

I really like the ps4, ui, communities, controller etc... even just looking at trophies. 

I started playing infamous 2, but struggled to enjoy it, and cant be bothered to start my second playthrough.

Is infamous 2 a bad game? should i look at getting ps now, or is the ps3 just not for me anymore?

Anyone else feel like this?

I feel ya a bit. I too have wanted to jump into PS3, but I find my PS4 to be more comfortable to play pretty much all around. Also, a lot of PS3 games that I heard were good are...not good (Zone of the Enders, I'm looking at you!).

Even though I really like the PS4, I don't mind going back to the PS3. Sure, the games don't run quite as well, but they run well enough. And I really do like the XMB, it's still superior to the PS4's UI in my opinion (even though the latter also has its advantages).

The PS3 also has the major advantage of having free multiplayer. I only even go online to get trophies, so not having to shell out for Plus just to get the Platinum/100% will always be a plus in my book. I believe its only real drawback in terms of usability is the PS Store, which looks like it runs on coal.

That said, I recently purposefully finished all of my PS3 backlog so that I only have the future (the PS4) to look towards to. Also, having to constantly switch the HDMI cables on my TV is a pain, so that's also that over with ?

• Like 3

I've been switching back and forth between PS3 and PS4 ever since I got them. It can be a little jarring going back to PS3 after not using it for a couple of months, but I get used to it again real quick. Like sure, the PS4 is a better experience when you're looking at the store, syncing trophies, etc, but actually playing a game is no different other than superficial things like the graphics. Even so, I think most PS3 games still look great. It's a shame to see people missing out on all these great experiences just because there are a few annoying things about the system.

• Like 2

My problem is I keep forgetting that the PS3 doesn't have a party chat, so we can't talk to each other unless the game we are all playing has a chat function. So, yes, the PS4 was quite a jump in the right direction.

I have Infamous 2.  It is a decent game, but I stopped playing because I have so many other games I'd rather do a time sink.

1 hour ago, Lorajet said:

My problem is I keep forgetting that the PS3 doesn't have a party chat, so we can't talk to each other unless the game we are all playing has a chat function. So, yes, the PS4 was quite a jump in the right direction.

I have Infamous 2.  It is a decent game, but I stopped playing because I have so many other games I'd rather do a time sink.

Can you still get the plat in that game? There were online quests, if memory serves.

14 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Can you still get the plat in that game? There were online quests, if memory serves.

I don't know of any online trophies for this one.  It is fun, but a little repetitious. Then you need to play a second time for the other karma (good or evil).

3 minutes ago, Lorajet said:

I don't know of any online trophies for this one.  It is fun, but a little repetitious. Then you need to play a second time for the other karma (good or evil).

That's so weird. I'm looking at the guides on pst.org, and one says you need online to plat the game, while the other says you don't. It's about these UGC missions.

5 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

That's so weird. I'm looking at the guides on pst.org, and one says you need online to plat the game, while the other says you don't. It's about these UGC missions.

Infamous 2 for the PS3 has 4 online trophies; Infamous 2: Second Son for the PS4 has 0 online trophies.

Sorry - I was thinking of the PS4 version. :facepalm:

Edited by Lorajet