Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important To You?

Wavergray

Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?

10 hours ago, Mattemery said:

unless it's under 1% I pretty much just consider it another 1 to my total

This.

I don't have that many trophies with less than a 1% achievers though, and moreover almost all of them are more in the "easy but grindy" ballpark than difficult, with their rarity increased thanks to PS+. GTA IV was perhaps the toughest for me, and it's not that hard, tbh, it just has a humongous players base. Like many said before, many harder trophies have much higher completion rates, so I also think that difficulty and rarity are not always connected.

And yet, with all that said, I still consider almost common (I say "almost" :)) a trophy with more than, say, perhaps 2%; 1/50 seems to me a pretty good ratio to begin being considered as "rare".

But even though I'm interested in knowing the rarity of a plat, I'm not choosing a game for this, and at the end of the day what matters is the game in itself (I even played ultra easy games like The Bunker, Late Shift or Her Majesty's Spiffing, but for the fun of it and because I was interested, not for trophy popping).

I really don't care much about UR plats/trophies, although there some that are quite impressive i'm talking about games like DMC4SE

Ninja Gaiden S2

Super Streetfighter 4

Streetfighter 5

Mortal kombat

Blazblue

and any other fighting games that require time and skill, But other than that it's really not important at all.  After all video games is a hobby of mine i like to have fun and not torture myself playing garbage games just for the sake of UR plats.

Hope i didn't offend any one it's just my opinion.

• Like 2

Yes. It helps me to endure stresses which i encounter in real life because while you are doing a ultra rare game you are facing too many problems and stresses .After you defeated or accomplished all of them you are adding more power and endurance to your personality. 

In order for anyone to give a yes/no answer, you must first ask if one just plays games for fun, or if one plays games for something more than that.

For me, trophy hunting has become sort of like a side job, where I am my own boss, and I get to choose what I want to do. If I want to increase my profile in terms of number of trophies, then I would be like Hakoom and just play some simple stuff. If I want to go for the hardest/impossible stuff, I would go for games of which I am utterly trash at, such as Super Street Fighter 4. Always try to mix up the rarity so that you do not become a one-trick pony.

As for the question "are ultra rare platinum trophies important?", my answer is no. Although you feel greatly satisfied if you get a game platinumed with less than 5% rarity, it only serves to increase your reputation. It's not like Sony will give out a PSN code to the people every time they earn a certain number of ultra rare platinums.

10 minutes ago, Sergen said:

It will depend for me how much effort was required to acquire the trophy and I'd want that to reflect in the rarity. The only trophy on a list I would care about being ultra rare is the platinum, otherwise the rarity of every other trophy on the list doesn't matter too much for me. I've played a lot of games because the rarity of the platinum was appealing, I've only very recently become interested in the rarity of trophies though... A lot of the games I've done are part of a series I'd have wanted to complete, such as Uncharted games where I have done the PS3 trio including the DLC trophies. If I had my current mindset about trophies I likely wouldn't have wasted my time with Uncharted 3, but back when I did that game the rarity for DLC would only count for people who had earned a DLC trophy, meaning that the rarest trophies were in the 10% range. Most ultra rare trophies out there are simply a grind, often requiring multiple people to boost them with you online which can be a struggle mainly because a lot of people don't have friends who are willing to engage in such activity. I see plenty of people get ass licked because of their trophy list, but I look more into how the person is as a person, not as a trophy hunter. A lot of the people who hunt ultra rare trophies are egotistical and try to look better than others or put others down for finding a game too difficult and they're the kind of people nobody should associate with.

Same ones you carried in NGS, am I right :lol: 

18 hours ago, Darkette said:

How is it better to base a rarity which includes people that don’t even care for trophies, than one that includes the majority of trophy hunters? Explain pls.

Because they ALSO play the game? It should be based on the whole population of gamers that played the game.
Like 99% of people who visit this forum are Trophy hunters, so it's very likely that the score will be much higher than it actually is. 

Let say you would go to a pie eating contest and ask everybody participating if they like pie; 
It's likely that almost everybody will like Pie, but if you would do the same survey at a random street, the score would change drastically. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, knoef_NL said:

Because they ALSO play the game? It should be based on the whole population of gamers that played the game.
Like 99% of people who visit this forum are Trophy hunters, so it's very likely that the score will be much higher than it actually is. 

Let say you would go to a pie eating contest and ask everybody participating if they like pie; 
It's likely that almost everybody will like Pie, but if you would do the same survey at a random street, the score would change drastically. 

Trophy hunters are a huge minority, if we would include those millions of gamers that don't care for trophies, then excluding few things like My Name is Mayo each trophy would have a 4% rarity or lower, and i would have over 10,000 ultra rare trophies ?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, knoef_NL said:

That would defeat the purpose of having an ultra rare category since everyone would have thousands of them due to pretty much every game having not only the platinum but several trophies on "ultra rare" status via psn "rarity" lol

• Like 2

Sometimes. There have been a couple of games (usually ps+ stuff) i played mostly because it has a lot of UR trophies like drawn to death or EDF 2025 stack. 

But generally i dont go out of my way too much to get them. 

Edited by xZoneHunter

32 minutes ago, VirtualNight said:

Trophy hunters are a huge minority, if we would include those millions of gamers that don't care for trophies, then excluding few things like My Name is Mayo each trophy would have a 4% rarity or lower, and i would have over 10,000 ultra rare trophies 1f602.png

Yhea.. so? It's also the case now, it's just that PSNProfiles doesn't show it by default.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, knoef_NL said:

Yhea.. so? It's also the case now, it's just that PSNProfiles doesn't show it by default.

And so, just like Raiden said, it wouldn't be interesting to go for Ultra Rare trophies. Is like if you go just for "Common" psnp rarity trophies.

But if you like psn rarity then ok, i don't.

• Like 1

Just now, STARLOVE said:

So why are you crying when PSN shows both?

I'm not crying. OP Wanted a discussion, I just gave my opinion on it.

I think its a great topic, and I would love to hear what people think.

My point is, PSNprofiles isn't holy, and there is a majority of players excluded from the default percentage shown. 
I understand that's great for the majority of players here, as seen in the reactions. So it's probably great that they designed it this way.
But I just don't like it that much :)

• Like 1

Yes, I enjoy a good challenge and the reward of a rare platinum as a result codww2 I think is my rarest and I blazed through it pretty quick but damn did it feel good to finally get pressure cooker legit after realizing we couldn't get any of the glitches to work. I also enjoy an easy one here and there.

Out of curiosity why is it when someone says something the majority of people dont like, it turns into a witch hunt. Just because someone doesnt like one aspect of psnp that doesnt mean they are the devil. As human beings we are entitled to have a opinion. Show some compassion.

Not particularly. I do enjoy seeing if I can complete a hard game every now and then, but that isn't even always going to be one with Ultra Rare trophies. I care more about having fun with whatever game I'm playing, whether that is trying not to fall off a ledge in Bound, or tapping on a jar of mayo for a half hour. :P Not every game that catches my interest ends up being a winner, but that's life. 

9 hours ago, Sergen said:

It will depend for me how much effort was required to acquire the trophy and I'd want that to reflect in the rarity. The only trophy on a list I would care about being ultra rare is the platinum, otherwise the rarity of every other trophy on the list doesn't matter too much for me. I've played a lot of games because the rarity of the platinum was appealing, I've only very recently become interested in the rarity of trophies though... A lot of the games I've done are part of a series I'd have wanted to complete, such as Uncharted games where I have done the PS3 trio including the DLC trophies. If I had my current mindset about trophies I likely wouldn't have wasted my time with Uncharted 3, but back when I did that game the rarity for DLC would only count for people who had earned a DLC trophy, meaning that the rarest trophies were in the 10% range. Most ultra rare trophies out there are simply a grind, often requiring multiple people to boost them with you online which can be a struggle mainly because a lot of people don't have friends who are willing to engage in such activity.

There's a lot of PSN games out there that have plenty of ultra rare trophies that I really don't think pose any challenge or require a good amount of skill to get.

We have a lot more games now than we did during the PlayStation 3 generation as well as a much bigger player base. I think a pretty large number of gamers jumped ship to Sony when they saw that Microsoft was shitting the bed with their Xbox One.

I've talked to a few guys over at PST.org who have been trophy hunting since mid - late 2008 who feel that a game that has a very rare platinum or even an ultra rare platinum don't pose much of a challenge anymore. I actually find myself struggling more with older Playstation 3 games then I do with Playstation 4 games, even those niche PSN titles that have ultra rare trophies. Something like the original Street Fighter 4 would be too much for me because I played a little bit of it on the Xbox 360 and it's just insane what you have to do for those combos. Mortal Kombat 9 from 2011 would be a lot more doable for me, with the biggest challenge being My Kung Fu is Stronger which takes around 100 - 200 hours to get by itself. But that is simply a grind, not so much reliant on skill.

I can see games like the aforementioned Street Fighter 4, Vanquish, Catherine being challenging because they rely on skill. A good number of those older Playstation 3 games simply required a lot of boosting and grinding.

I will give you credit and respect for 100 percenting Uncharted 3. I hear it takes around 200 - 300 hours of boosting and there is a lot of luck involved in getting the treasures. Not so much skill based as it is just playing the multiplayer over and over and over.

I respect anybody who has the Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope International platinum. Even if it's an easy game overall, spending hundreds of hours going for that platinum is a more daunting task for me than a 10 - 50 hour game that is very skill dependent.

9 hours ago, Sergen said:

I see plenty of people get ass licked because of their trophy list, but I look more into how the person is as a person, not as a trophy hunter. A lot of the people who hunt ultra rare trophies are egotistical and try to look better than others or put others down for finding a game too difficult and they're the kind of people nobody should associate with.

I will never put people down because they don't have the skill or the commitment to complete Mein Leben difficulty in Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus. But what I don't like is when people complain and whine about a trophy list because it's too difficult.

You've proven that you're more than a trophy hunter. Having over 700 ultra rare trophies is quite nice, but nobody should feel forced to hunt ultra rares. I have not once forced myself to go after any ultra rare, I just have a small number of them because I wanted to play games that just so happen to have them in their trophy lists.

Edited by Spaz

Aren't there only four types of trophies?

1 - the ones I can and want to get

2 - the ones I could but don't want to get

3 - the ones I want, but cannot get

4 - the one I couldn't and don't want to get

I care about 1 and 3, regardless of rarity. Rarity doesn't mean much if a game is my favorite kind of game; I'll do much better than in games I never play, like fighting games. Whatever you think is the easiest fighting game would make me rage quit within half an hour.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Aren't there only four types of trophies?

1 - the ones I can and want to get

2 - the ones I could but don't want to get

3 - the ones I want, but cannot get

4 - the one I couldn't and don't want to get

I care about 1 and 3, regardless of rarity. Rarity doesn't mean much if a game is my favorite kind of game; I'll do much better than in games I never play, like fighting games. Whatever you think is the easiest fighting game would make me rage quit within half an hour.

Better avoid Street Fighter. That series was made for masochists.

• Like 1