Enough is Enough

DEI2EK

LOL, So I was thinking. Statistically at least one of you said that these types of games are making trophies meaningless. I don't even need to look to know, it's as sure a bet as saying at least one of you are completely unable to sleep without a fan blowing somewhere in your bedroom. And don't deny it, at least one of you can't sleep without a fan blowing somewhere. Yes you do. YES YOU DO. 

No, seriously. Which one of you is it who can't sleep without a fan blowing in their room? Fess up.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

Oh yeah totally this is just leading us down the slippery slope where all games will just be like this because trophy hunters aren't like a small minority of gamers or anything. 

You know what the usual response I get on KIk random chat they added a few months ago when it matches me up with a random person who likes PS4 ' trophies? Who gives a shit" lol

1 hour ago, damon8r351 said:

LOL, So I was thinking. Statistically at least one of you said that these types of games are making trophies meaningless. I don't even need to look to know, it's as sure a bet as saying at least one of you are completely unable to sleep without a fan blowing somewhere in your bedroom. And don't deny it, at least one of you can't sleep without a fan blowing somewhere. Yes you do. YES YOU DO. 

No, seriously. Which one of you is it who can't sleep without a fan blowing in their room? Fess up.

lol My husband is that person.

On topic, if you don't want to play random indies for easy plats that stack then just don't. Play the games that matter to you and don't worry what other people are thinking.

I get kinda annoyed when some trophy hunters skip all the text in visual novels just to get a two hour plat because I actually like that genre, but if that's what they enjoy then more power to them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, diskdocx said:

Great job Sony. Vita is like their bastard child that they just can't kill off fast enough.

I should have done some more research before I made my bold claim. Since the original message it seems the statement was pretty much retracted. There is no real evidence that Sony is about to disallow anymore Vita games in or after 2020. All we seem to know now is that support from Sony's side for developers who make Vita games appears to be dwindling down. And that only makes sense I suppose. Actually I am surprised that there is still any support for it.

If that is good news depends on whether or not you will enjoy seeing twelve stacks of the same game when the PS5 comes out :)

Personally I can't really be bothered picking any side in this argument anymore. I am mainly glad to see that more and more people are making the distinction between indie-dev->good/neutral and rata-publisher->bad nowadays when they attack these easy stacks.

My own trophy hunting has been slowly decreasing the last few weeks, even more than usual, because of work and trying to keep my house from falling down. Up until about a year ago I would have felt the urge to play and plat some easy game on the Vita for my trophy kicks, but I can't really be bothered anymore. I will just do a couple of races in some racing game so that I will plat it in about a month or two, or sow and harvest some fields in Farming Simulator 16 on Vita so I can plat it in half a year :D

Well there's no denying that these games have completely bastardised the prestige of platinum trophies.

Quantity of platinum trophies means absolutely nothing now, only rarity holds any kind of integrity.

I know it's people's choice to play these games but it can't be much fun for them either, I'm guessing that the only reason people stack these games 6 times is so they can inflate their profile and progress up a leaderboard (is there another reason?), for this to happen quickly they feel they have no other choice than to play them.

There's been posts about people getting burned out because they keep playing these games back to back and don't particularly want to but feel they have to.

All in all these easily obtained trophies are doing nothing positive for the trophy system. The ONLY way that anything can change this is to put a greater emphasis on the value of rarity, even though it's not a perfect solution.

• Like 2

You're putting too much thought into trophy hunting and OTHER PEOPLE'S trophies. Do you realize that? You're seriously taking the time out of your day to hate on someone elses gaming choices. Like everyone else said stop caring so much and the problem goes away. I personally am not bothered if someone else has more plats than I do, i don't care what they do or what they play at the end of the day it's their money and their games let them stack their quick indie plat who caaaaarrrreeeessss...... oh wait you obviously do.

19 hours ago, Helmet_time said:

I enjoyed them as a break between longer games.  A palate cleanser if you will.  That said, I don't like that you no longer have to beat the game for the platinum, just like the first couple levels.  Personally, that feels a little silly, but I won't knock people for doing it.  Likewise, region stacking isn't for me, but if people want to do it, I hope they're having fun.

Yeah, it would definitely be better if you had to play more of the game.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2019 at 8:49 PM, BoxerJack said:

Surely it's the completion percentage that defines the quality of a trophy and not the quantity. Everyone knows what a hard platinum is. If people want to achieve numerous easy platinums then so be it, you do you.

I think this is exactly the answer to this complaint. Value lives where Interest is born.

Trophies will stop being valuable the day the last hunter will lose interest. From the top of the leaderboards to the depth of % completion we all love games and trophies.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 8:30 AM, PSXtreme_ said:

Image result for atari 2600 adventure grail

^^^That's the ONLY trophy I got when I was a kid...and I was happy with it...

The trophy-whorism of, NOT the kids but, the 30-somethings still living in mommy and daddy's basement from the past decade+ have created this Participation Trophy era of gaming. The kids are just being brought along for the ride and ONLY know gaming as it is in today's current standards.

Not only do I not support the trophy-stacking, I don't support the ENTIRE trophy systems in toto and feel, along with many other recent infestations of greed via micro-transactions, server closure and day one DLC packages, that it will be the eventual downfall and death of a hobby that I've enjoyed for the 40+ years of the entire lifespan of the industry. I've made this opinion known many times often before to be HEAVILY criticized for my anti-social critical bellowing....

So now you get a meme and a single line of head-shaking text...

Enjoy :)

Woah imagine getting angry over trophies. Grow up dude. 

• Like 3

On 8/13/2019 at 3:30 PM, PSXtreme_ said:

^^^That's the ONLY trophy I got when I was a kid...and I was happy with it...

The trophy-whorism of, NOT the kids but, the 30-somethings still living in mommy and daddy's basement from the past decade+ have created this Participation Trophy era of gaming. The kids are just being brought along for the ride and ONLY know gaming as it is in today's current standards.

Not only do I not support the trophy-stacking, I don't support the ENTIRE trophy systems in toto and feel, along with many other recent infestations of greed via micro-transactions, server closure and day one DLC packages, that it will be the eventual downfall and death of a hobby that I've enjoyed for the 40+ years of the entire lifespan of the industry. I've made this opinion known many times often before to be HEAVILY criticized for my anti-social critical bellowing....

So now you get a meme and a single line of head-shaking text...

Enjoy :)

Social media is a big part of that. Kids want to spend their time and money ogling over some sexy woman on Instagram over things that really matter. Like watching the local news around you, the idiot politicians we help vote into office each year, and people still supporting Donald Trump and forgiving all the crimes he's committed.

I started with NES games. Had an older sister who is turning 40 give them to me. I thought "Hey, why not give them a try"? That's where my love for gaming comes from.

I agree with you to a point. But why are you here? If I didn't give a shit about trophies I would of left.

I used to be a Xbox Achievement Hunter. When the value of achievements declined and I lost interest in what Microsoft was doing, I left. I didn't stick around telling everybody who was an avid achievement hunter to just drop it.

Kids these days barely play any games on any console. They're being shown iPhone X's and tablets which happen to feature a bunch of mobile games that they spend time with. Or they just happen to be watching an educational kids program that their parents downloaded on the iPad or live streaming on their 4K TV. I know this because I have a young niece and nephew. To my knowledge they have yet to play on any game console, not like what we grew up on.

Last but not least the people who make up the participation trophy aspect are a very small minority. Marvel's Spider-Man sold over 3 million copies in the first week or so, a sales record when it comes to PS4 exclusives. Last I checked there was just under 200,000 game owners tracked on this website who have the game. Obviously there are trophy hunters who don't have an account attached to this website but that's besides the point. A good majority of people who game daily couldn't care less about achievements or trophies.

I have friends in my personal life who play Xbox One, Playstation 4 and Steam. None of them trophy hunt. I have around 100 games on Steam and I don't go after any achievements in games that support the system. Never served a point with me and the system in general is broken.

You're on a website that tracks trophies. You're on a website with people who love to collect trophies. I tried saying this to one other guy and he just blew me off. I don't understand people who hate the trophy system as it is, yet stick around on this website. Makes no goddamn sense to me whatsoever.

• Like 2

I mean, I like trophies too, but not THIS much. Holy crap.

But I do have a suspicion that this may turn into a cash grabbing scheme. Will there be more and more easy plat games coming out just to prey on trophy hunters? Maybe. And it'll work too. Players will buy games they don't even like, just to get that easy plat.

I'll just take my 26 plats and move along now.

Edited by jackmadrox
  • Like 1

Even though I have grown impartial to this topic, I have to say: The people who claim that "it's just trophies dude" while buying like 50 stacks of easy plats and spending money on it are probably the biggest losers I have ever come across in any gaming community. The thick irony here is enough to make a grown man cry. 

Edited by STARLOVE
  • Like 4

I think it's fine that there are rata releases games that are pretty easy to plat. Honestly, I unironically think Mr. Massagy is hilarious and have enjoyed the hell out of some other games they've ported, like The Count Lucanor. Yeah they're easy, but they're fun. The issue comes from when you only have to beat the first couple levels to get a platinum. It's not even because it makes it "too easy" to get the platinum, or devaluing trophies, but because they're robbing the rest of that game's experience from people. I've heard Metagal and Super Weekend Mode are actually pretty fun when you get into them, but because a lot of people are just done after they get 100%, they don't even bother with the rest of the game. That's just sad, and those games deserve better.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2019 at 9:43 PM, STARLOVE said:

Even though I have grown impartial to this topic, I have to say: The people who claim that "it's just trophies dude" while buying like 50 stacks of easy plats and spending money on it are probably the biggest losers I have ever come across in any gaming community. The thick irony here is enough to make a grown man cry. 

The real shame starts when they start defending their easy games. If you bought that many easy stacks you are purely trying to inflate your trophy count. There's just no way around that otherwise.

From my experience you have to pay more than once if you want six stacks of say the newest Ratalaika game. I think it's three times if they decide to make the corresponding PS4/Vita version for free in that region. You still have to pay for those other two regions (Europe/America depending on where you live and the Asian stacks).

I mean yeah, they play games to have fun just like anybody else. But I think Dr Mayus covered it best. What may seem like kid stuff now can turn into something worse over time.

Mobile games were once pretty decent games that you can kill some time with. Now every single mobile game out today is chock full of microtransactions, lootboxes and other crap to try to suck every dollar out of you as possible.

On 8/17/2019 at 10:54 PM, SpaceCoresDad said:

I think it's fine that there are rata releases games that are pretty easy to plat. Honestly, I unironically think Mr. Massagy is hilarious and have enjoyed the hell out of some other games they've ported, like The Count Lucanor. Yeah they're easy, but they're fun. The issue comes from when you only have to beat the first couple levels to get a platinum. It's not even because it makes it "too easy" to get the platinum, or devaluing trophies, but because they're robbing the rest of that game's experience from people. I've heard Metagal and Super Weekend Mode are actually pretty fun when you get into them, but because a lot of people are just done after they get 100%, they don't even bother with the rest of the game. That's just sad, and those games deserve better.

It's roughly 10 - 20 percent based on what I heard, which is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't care how hard or easy a game is, but I think 'beating the game' should be a requirement, regardless if it's a 100 percent title or a game with a platinum trophy. That's where the bulk of the complaints have focused on. Not so much the games themselves but the trophies that are being thrust out by the publisher. It makes getting 20 - 50 platinums a joke considering you can probably get 20 platinums or more in just a few short days playing those games.

It's always been about the individual games, not just how many platinums or points you have. The "value" of a trophy in your collection is just so much as it was difficult to achieve and how much you enjoyed your experience in going for it. When you play 30 minutes of garbage then stack it multiple times across multiple regions and platforms, nobody is viewing that as the same as a platinum in a retail or indie game that is fun, well-designed, and challenging. 

If anything stacking all this meaningless junk in your account is just devaluing and flooding your collection and taking away from more meaningful games, because you have to sort through so much junk just to find relevant games. It's just a waste of time and money, and you are no longer hunting trophies for the experience of the games, or in overcoming a challenge, or as an accessory to games you would already be playing, but rather solely for the little dopamine rush of a meaningless pop in a game that no one has ever heard of and in a language that you don't even speak. 

Although it is a bit disheartening that all the top players on the leaderboard now are just whoever can buy as much throwaway games and stack as many as possible, and use exploits and jump through hoops to play other region titles on your Vita. People who don't just play heaps of quick platinums daily from garbage games can't even compete unless they are a large team (which is also another big issue with the leaderboard)

Edited by machaesthetic
  • Like 3