AC Odyssey is the only game to stay on Popular This Week the longest than any other game!

I like to think it’s been up for so long because the trophy lists updated before actually releasing the content. So it gave players a heads up on what to expect and the story direction. As well as a release date if they don’t  read Ubisofts updates.

But we all know it was just people looking if the new list was going to be just as much hassle to earn; as it was to wait and delete a game they should’ve known was going to have a years worth of content with the roadmap being public knowledge and all.

Funny thing is, the trophies for the game stopped coming out what? 2 months ago? I thought for sure it was going to drop out of the top 10, but I guess there are more people like my brother and I that play nearly every day for the short orichalcum missions. (except for the past couple weeks as we try to get another game finished up.)

^Also, just being on someone's system isn't enough for PSNP as far as I know. People have to actively play the game for this site to track and I'm not even sure it tracks people like myself who've been playing these past couple months after the last trophy. 

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle
  • Like 1

I'm not surprised, I enjoyed it enough to get the season pass (which I rarely ever do). Those weekly missions kept me playing it at least once a week too while I waited for the last of the DLC to be released (I think I'm over 150 hours). I was definitely satisfied with the $$$ to gameplay ratio with that one (I got the game on sale for $20, then I got the season pass on sale as well, which also included AC III). xD

I will admit I'm glad I can put it back on the shelve for now, but I won't be uninstalling it until I'm positive there's nothing else being added later (trophy-wise). ?

Edited by Masamune
  • Like 2

I would honestly like to know from you guys what makes this game so great...

I've talked to a ton of veterans on Facebook, Reddit, Twitter and yadda yadda yadda, they say Assassins Creed Odyssey is the best Assassins Creed game ever and is one of the best fucking open world games of all time.

Please enlighten me from you guys who played through the game, what makes it so special...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

^Also, just being on someone's system isn't enough for PSNP as far as I know. People have to actively play the game for this site to track and I'm not even sure it tracks people like myself who've been playing these past couple months after the last trophy. 

Actually, it only tracks people who got a trophy for the game. "Recent players" list to the right refreshes only after you got a trophy. So the "recent players" counter shows amount of people who got a trophy in a past week.

It's easily seen in case of niche games which have only a few players per week. When I was playing some of them without earning a trophy, I didn't appear on the list.

So the reason why it's so popular is because it has big amount of content, still receive new players and getting one trophy per week isn't anything hard to get.

43 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I've talked to a ton of veterans on Facebook, Reddit, Twitter and yadda yadda yadda, they say Assassins Creed Odyssey is the best Assassins Creed game ever and is one of the best fucking open world games of all time.

Please enlighten me from you guys who played through the game, what makes it so special...

To be honest? This is the worst Assassin's Creed game in the franchise to me. The story is non-existent except for the present day story which finally seems to be gaining some sort of direction, I dislike the fact that a non-canon character was introduced to be played as, and there's really only one scene that wowed me and I won't even put it in spoilers. The DLC content is very nice though. Story expansions especially to new areas are a welcome change and introduce even more to the variety I'll talk about below.

It is one of the best open world games I've played in terms of just being able to play. The controls/mechanics are incredibly fine tuned as far as I'm concerned. Not slippery, not clunky, and not overly complicated with trying to do new shit as well as being able to change the controller scheme to pretty much whatever you want. However, like every game out today it is not free of its issues. Thing is...they are very few and far between in our experience. Very early on my brother and I were able to glitch through cave walls when climbing, 

There's tons of different play styles. You really only need to youtube different builds to see the kinds of variety and things people have come up with in the past year. There's lots of customization options thanks to the fact that you don't have to show the equipment you've donned. You can equip whatever suits your style of gameplay, and then switch the cosmetics to whatever you think looks best as long as you've unlocked that particular style. Nightmare does pose a challenge if you don't go down some super OP route like the tank builds I play as or the ungodly crowd damaging hunter builds. Don't let anyone bitch at you otherwise about this...but there is in fact Stealthy gameplay styles too. An entire skill tree as well as multiple armor sets are dedicated to the Assassin damage/build. However, if you don't want to play like that then of course you aren't going to realize there can be stealth elements. 

The naval is a huge step up from Origins, buuuuut still not as good/fun as Black Flag.

32 minutes ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

Actually, it only tracks people who got a trophy for the game. "Recent players" list to the right refreshes only after you got a trophy. So the "recent players" counter shows amount of people who got a trophy in a past week.

It's easily seen in case of niche games which have only a few players per week. When I was playing some of them without earning a trophy, I didn't appear on the list.

So the reason why it's so popular is because it has big amount of content, still receive new players and getting one trophy per week isn't anything hard to get.

Oh really? Imagine if it tracked daily players that weren't earning trophies then. lol

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Spaz said:

It is special-ly annoying.

It is an AC Origins expansion with a female protagonist in ancient greek, same UI, same assets, same boring and long quests, huge map (half of it is water), the sea warfare is boring (this is one of the things why I actually got the game, I was expecting something similar to Black Flag), the conquests are boring and useless, etc..

The history is not bad, but the game is too long, they extended it more than it was needed. The first DLC is really boring, the latter ones are OK, specially for the art scene and mythology, but in essence, it is the same content again and again.

AC Origins was a good, fresh experience for the series but this is just more content, nothing new, a 6,5-7 at best.

This is just my opinion though, coming from someone who have played almost all AC, even though these series are nothing like the old ones. To me, nothing beats Black Flag, and the first entry just because it was groundbreaking.

• Like 2

Im waiting for everything to out and on sale from future ac games

The free dlc sucked and all just followed the same lame patern of 1 quest splitting into 3 and wasnt very rewarding with the single bronze trophy for each tale.

The story dlc took so long I forgot who the hell the characters from the main game were by the time they show up in dlc. The wait for episodes sucked since its a single player game I see no incentive not to wait, save money and be able to binge the whole thing in a few weeks. 

Edited by DemonicDraco
Edit
  • Like 1

Because that was the Ubisoft's plan from the start. I guess they finally saw community's complaints and didn't want to release a half-ass game. But meanwhile to leave the income channel open, they constantly feed the game with new DLCs. I think it's both serves well for company and gamers. And I hope with that way, maybe they can stop release a half-ass game as we have seen in past.

18 hours ago, JamesModel said:

It's been an year since AC Odyssey has been out and honestly I've seen it become the first spot all the way to the last spot in Popular Games This Week never to leave the list ever! It amazes me that this game has lasted THAT LONG on the list and I'm not complaining because I have been visiting the game even after beating it. It just shows that this game has a lot of end-game content especially with the updates and everything. Ubisoft (I'm not a fan of the company & their microtransactions) did a tremendous job at updating this game weekly and giving us new content every month for an entire year! Thank you and thank you to the players aswell! <3

...What the hell did I just read? :/

Yeah that's kind of cool I guess but honestly, I'm just glad that it's finally over.... Decent game but worst AC so far and it's all because of the greed and laziness of Ubisoft. 

Hope Ash and his team can save the franchise with Ragnarok or whatever setting they plan to do next. 

It’s definitely something you should give them props for as there aren’t many games out there that get supported for this long, especially single player games. To the op I say good luck trying to get anything positive out of this thread since it’s related to a Ubisoft game.

21 hours ago, Spaz said:

Huge ac fan here, I wouldn’t say best open world game ever but it’s definitely in my top 3 Ac games and the best one from a gameplay perspective. If you’re looking for something that stays close to past assassins creed titles then you may be dsappointed as it’s basically no longer Ac but rather something different for the series. It takes the foundation of origins and just improves upon it in a lot of aspects while also being heavily inspired by the Witcher 3

The world is masterfully crafted, combat is great, there’s some fun skills you can experiment with that really change your playstyle, the cult system is great, naval combat is back and just as good as it was in black flag, the story starts off rather slow but once it picks up you’ll have an engaging plot with some interesting twists, you’re constantly rewarded for exploring in one way or the other, the gear is fun to experiment with, theres some side content that are on par with main missions in terms of quality and also over 100 hours of fun content even without the season pass.

As for negatives I’ll say this game falls victim to some errand boy fetch quests, the dialogue options are meaningless, romance options are just as meaningless, the story takes a moment before it picks up but that honestly depends wether you mind a slow start or not, you may run into a few bugs and if you want to rush through the story then forget it cause you’re basically forced to do side content in order to level up which like I mentioned previously can be a turn off for some. 

If you haven’t played origins then I’d say skip that and play odyssey. It’s not great from the start but stick with it and once all the systems fall in place you’ll hopefully start to see where all the praise comes from. 

• Like 4