Feeling conflicted Playstation/Xbox

Cryogenicide_X

3 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Well, because that's what's making me feel conflicted through having both I guess. I'm pulled towards Playstation on one hand and then on the other hand towards Xbox and it's just confusion. 

I went from PC, to primarily PS4. I also have an Xbox One S, but the majority of the time it's on, it's being used as a 4K Blu-Ray player, as the PS4 Pro doesn't read 4K physical; and a Switch as I'm running through Breath of the Wild on my lunch breaks at work. Also, I'd hate it if a game came out on one platform and I couldn't play it.

If you have the space and funds, I'd get both (and I myself plan to get both of the next gens).

Get or build a PC since all of XBox exclusives go on there anyway, plus you'll get PC exclusives from Steam. Hell, I thought about it myself for that reason or like several people have said, just play both. It's silly to think you can only ever have one system. 

Edited by FireFoxie
  • Like 1

I have all 3 consoles this gen I used to use my Xbox to play with friends but now I just use my PC so my Xbox just collects dust, I am not going to sell it though I like to have the option.  I also bought a Switch about a year ago mainly for Mario Odyssey and I still haven't played Mario odyssey, I have played about 3 hours on my switch in the past year and that was on a plane ride.  While I like having the consoles the only one that gets any use is my PS4 but I don't really think about it.

• Like 2

My mentality is to have only one "primary" console, which I play most of the time and which always takes priority when a new game is released. Right now, that's the PS4. If a game comes out on multiple platforms and I want it, I'll almost always buy it for the PS4 (unless I know beforehand it's a bad port). That said, I also own a PS3, Switch, and 3DS, and I have a decent gaming computer. My mentality with the PS3 is to play older games that I already know I love. For the Switch/3DS, it's Nintendo exclusives. For the PC, it's games that either play much better on computer (e.g. The Sims) or that can be dramatically improved with mods (e.g. Skyrim, XCOM). I don't feel like I'm necessarily favoring the PS4, even though I play it the majority of the time, because I know for a fact that when I go to play one of the other consoles, I'm already going to love what I'm playing.

I suppose if I owned an Xbox, it'd be more of the same. I'd pick one or two games (probably exclusives) that I wouldn't mind coming back to from time to time.

• Like 2

I understand your dilema, Cryo.

Gone are the days (PS2 era and earlier) where you could buy a system solely off of a select group of interesting titles.  SONY & Microsoft have produced a hearts-pulling ecosystem based off of subscription services, trophies/achievements, friends lists, and digital purchases that majes the average gamer take a long pause and give second/third thoughts before committing their resources into a secondary console, especially when 95% of all games are shared between the two.  Outside of another Extinction Level Event Launch the likes of 2013 brought forth...if you’re a SONY person, you’ll buy SONY and maybe a used Xbox.  And vice versa.  I think there are too many good gaming endeavors both console manufacturers want to bring their fan base on for me to commit heavy resources (gaming time, money, trophy/achievement hunting research) into  both consoles at/near launch.

However, as other posters had alluded to, I do believe the Switch (or any Nintendo system) brings something completely different to the table than the 2 main competitors.  They have carved themselves out a niche in gaming that makes them relevant to gamers no matter what anyone else is doing in the gaming landscape.  A Nintendo system would seemingly compliment any of the 2 main systems at launch, if you were so inclined to buy 2 systems.

Just my 2 cents, on the matter...?

3 hours ago, DesmaBR said:

Get Game Pass on Xbox, and do not buy any more games for it.

If you're buying games, buy them for your Playstation.

This is exactly what I am doing. Lately I've been focusing on Xbox, thanks to Game Pass. But when I wanna buy a game, then I prefer Playstation.

Sometimes having multiple consoles just made it harder to know what to play and I would end up watching TV. I've always had all the consoles, but with limited time at this point in my life I only picked one this gen. It was hard scrapping my achievements and starting over with trophies, but PS had more games I wanted and had better performing multiplats.

My advice, if one console has more games than you can play then just keep that one. If not, then complete all games you want on that console and you'll find it much easier in your mind to just switch to a new paragraph and play the other console until your first choice has something you want to play again.

Xbox is trash since they released it, playstation was always the better console, only the scorpio was superior to the ps 4 pro( after 1 year of the pro released). Ps got better exclusives, better community , bigger playerbase. Theres a reason why playstation r the kings on the throne since ps 1. Stick with your ps 4 pal.

25 minutes ago, Sagaan said:

Xbox is trash since they released it, playstation was always the better console, only the scorpio was superior to the ps 4 pro( after 1 year of the pro released). Ps got better exclusives, better community , bigger playerbase. Theres a reason why playstation r the kings on the throne since ps 1. Stick with your ps 4 pal.

Game pass is superior to anything playstation has done

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Game pass is superior to anything playstation has done

Game Pass is basically a rental service that has a few new games along with mostly older games and MS exclusives so I've never really understood the hype behind it. The library is pretty static except for a fairly new or popular game here and there.

I bought my Xbone largely for Halo 5 and that ended up being a mistake considering how much it sucked. Cuphead was nice though

• Like 1

I'm biased because I only own Playstation since the first one, but in this generation I dont think it's worth having a PS4 and Xbox One. They share many games, but Playstation have more and better exclusive. Also the console seems to perform better (unless this changed with the later versions). If I had to own another console, would be a Switch. This way you would have access to almost all games. But if money is not a problem and you want to have both or the tryad, I would buy, even if I ended never using one of them.

And it's normal to feel guilty or confused, since we're used to think that you can only belong to one group or the other.  

38 minutes ago, majob said:

Game Pass is basically a rental service that has a few new games along with mostly older games and MS exclusives so I've never really understood the hype behind it. The library is pretty static except for a fairly new or popular game here and there.

I bought my Xbone largely for Halo 5 and that ended up being a mistake considering how much it sucked. Cuphead was nice though

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-04-30-xbox-game-pass-games-list-price-6010

Link is the current Gamepass line up as well as future releases and games to be added in the near future. I think a quick glance at that list is enough for most people to agree it is tremendous value. 

Totally agree with you regarding Cuphead though. Phenomenal game! 

I changed from Xbox to PlayStation over a year ago and don't see myself ever going back. A lot of Xbox fanboys have it in their heads that PlayStation is for casuals because somehow they have notions that online multiplayer is not only the only type of gaming that matters now (hilariously and utterly wrong, of course) but also that they are also better than PlayStation gamers at it too- without a shred of evidence- and therefore that makes them superior. I agree that Xbox Live is a better service than PSN, for sure, but as someone who was never an online gamer aside from an MMO and CoD: Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops back in the day, this is immaterial to me. I own a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X and sure the One X may play some third-party releases ever so slightly prettier, the fact of the matter is that PlayStation has a much better and wider variety of games than Xbox does. Now, there are some games that I have for both but have played on my Xbox One for my own reasons but I much prefer PS4 overall. It really, really just depends on what game you want to play.

Oh and I have a Switch too and I love that, beaten every exclusive on it I have bought so far as well as some multiplatform games to play again in portable because its so awesome to do that! 

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 1

Don't overthink it and just enjoy the games.

Most people that push for one side over the other, tend to do so out of insecurities over which one they purchased.

I'd suggest that if you can afford it, you get a Switch too. Or even a quality gaming PC, and enjoy any and every game that you can.

If you've never owned an Xbox before now, theres plenty of good games series you now have access to.

Try the Halo Master Chief Collection, The Gears of War series on backwards compatibility, and any of the Forza / Forza Horizon games.  They are all series that are worth your time.

Play what you want. Even if you get the game pass and buy the rest of your games on PS4, you're still going to have the predicament of figuring out what to play. The more time you waste feeling conflicted, the less time you're spending actually playing anything.

You can also use sales and the game pass to determine what console to buy something for. This weekend, SCVI Deluxe is $35 on PS4 and $40 on Xbox, so PS4 would easily be the choice for me. If there's a game on game pass, there's no point of buying it for PS4. You'll of course need to determine if the game pass has enough value for you to pay for it, so look through the list. I personally think there's tremendous value with it considering I get access to games like DMC5, Metro Exodus and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. The only people downplaying the game pass are those that are genuinely disinterested in most of the games it offers or they're just such strong fanboys of Sony that they're too blind to see anything good in the competition.

13 minutes ago, BEER_MONSTER_99 said:

I'm the opposite, I've got my Xbox just for Forza, Gears and Halo, and also for it's 4k player, everything else I play on PS4.

Yeah, I would do the same, just for Forza really, don’t care about Halo or Gears.  Maybe Alan Wake if they still make those.  So not really worth it which is why I don’t have an Xbox.  

I also like all my gaming on one console, which is great for trophy progress, etc.  I only have so much free time anyway.

I have a 360 and a PS3/PS4. What i ended up doing was keeping the 360 to play a short list of exclusives, especially Kinect games (which i love). The multiplatforms i play on Sony consoles due to me being a trophy hunter and the majority of my friends having Sony consoles aswell, so i can play with them. If i haven't made this rule for myself i would end up feeling overwhelmed and not playing anything.

In short, you can keep both consoles if you decide what role each one will perform, just don't listen to the A is better than B nonsense. Do what makes you happy.

2 hours ago, FierceMetal said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-04-30-xbox-game-pass-games-list-price-6010

Link is the current Gamepass line up as well as future releases and games to be added in the near future. I think a quick glance at that list is enough for most people to agree it is tremendous value. 

Totally agree with you regarding Cuphead though. Phenomenal game! 

I have Gamepass on my Xbone, It's about the only thing I keep it for right now and to me, it doesn't offer much that I don't already have access to on my PS4. Most of the games listed are old but there are new releases from time to time but most of them are indies. I do like it, don't get me wrong, but I don't see why it gets the praise it does when what it offers in my eyes is pretty menial. As it stands, I use it mostly as a long term demo for certain games I'm on the fence about buying.

Edited by majob