Will you be buying the PS5 day one?

Venocide

Yea, I am going to get it. I have been wanting to upgrade my PS4, but now I will just wait and get this. Since it is confirmed ps4 compatible, and rumored 3 might be as well, I can retire the PS4 to the "kids" console and use the PS5 as mine, along with all the added benefits of the hardware upgrades :D

• Like 1

Not a chance.

I shall do the same that I did with the PS4, Give it a year until all the initial buggy issues are resolved then get me a sweet bundle deal with a few games.

Although if the new Bioshock game is released round about that time it will be a case of SHADDAP AND TAKE MY MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Probably not, it's rarely ever a good idea to buy a console day one. It takes a while before there are enough good games to warrant the purchase of an entirely new machine and most of the time, the performance and power efficiency get improved in later revisions (not to mention the price goes down).

There's also the fact that I still have a shit ton of unopened PS4 games to go back to and the fact that I'm soon going back to college and will hence be unable to earn money for quite some time ?

I think the only consoles that were worth getting soon after launch were the Nintendo Switch, due to the fact that only the original model can be softmodded, and the PS3, due to having backwards compatibility with the PS2 - and even then, the BC PS3s were extremely prone to YLOD-ing, so...

(Oh, maybe also the Game Boy Advance, due to having, in my opinion, the best form factor compared to the SP and definitely the Micro, but you also had no backlight nor a rechargeable battery, so...)

This thread was exactly what I needed. I’ve felt rushed because of my backlog, and now I can chill and just finish things off and enjoy them. So no more pressure, and it’ll pay off because I hope there will be a sweet collector’s edition down the line and less issues. My day 1 ps2 was a brick and the Xbone was to big and had the stupid Kinect and no games. 

Nope. I haven't read through all the comments but I'm sure my reasons have already been mentioned:

1) Biggest reason imo is that new hardware always seems to have some issues. I don't want to deal with a faulty machine. I'll wait 6 months or so for the bugs to get worked out.

2) Generally need a reason to upgrade. Exclusive game that I can only play on that system etc. Backwards compatibility will be a huge plus but if I can play something on the PS4...I'll stick with that for now. (Got PS3 for ES: Oblivion and PS4 for Watchdogs originally). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dermarx said:

same here. 

10 hours ago, soniq said:

If it plays all of my PS4 and PS3 games then yes, simply because I can get rid of a box in my living room.

I want to get rid of two boxes (PS3 & PS4).  ? 

Hell no. I purchased Ps3 and Ps4 on launch and mostly regretted it. Killzone Shadowfall online was great and  good fun, but not doing that again.

Waiting to see about the Ps5 Pro. I have 150+ Ps4 physical games, not to mention digital, Ps+ and Ps3 titles.  My backlog will carry me through the Ps5 launch and some years afterwards. I refuse to buy into another generation until my backlog is managable.

Edited by Tropikal
spelling
  • Like 1

Hard to say when we there's still a lot we don't know about the console, but the idea of playing my vast PS4 backlog with greatly reduced loading times and possibly even at a better framerate/resolution appeals to me greatly. To me, that's more of a selling point than playing native PS5 games, especially for the first year or two when there won't be many great games for it.

• Like 2

Ideally i'd wait, considering the amount of games still to play and also waiting a year or two may help in avoiding a similar annoying experience from this gen, that being missing out on the Pro version. Ideally. Once it all kicks off with the reveal and marketing, i'll most likely have it on launch.

Edited by Winters_Solace

Day One, absolutely.

The possibility of backwards compatibility with all PlayStation home consoles ever made (with rumored features), new games/features added to PS Now for PS5 version (a downloaded version of Tekken 6 at 4K?!  ?) and whispered launch titles (Demon’s Souls Remastered is my top Christmas Wish List item) are enough to have me there waiting in line at midnight.

Let alone SONY possibly taking a page from Microsoft’s playbook and giving a ‘Day One’ Trophy...?

• Like 1

If I had a lot of money, I probably would, because I love game consoles and having a console since the beginning has one big advantage: you can accompany and play its library of games from the start. I arrived to the PS3 late and I feel that I missed lots of great games. 
That said, not only I don’t think I will be able to afford a PS5 at launch, but also, in all honesty, I don’t have any need of another console, right now. 
I will gladly be playing all the games that are still waiting for me, on my three active PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3 and Vita). I am already pretty overwhelmed.