Are you loyal to console brands?

kaltezhan

7 hours ago, Jables_The_Hutt said:

Gamepass gamepass gamepass, that's all anyone talks about when it comes to xbox.

It's cool if you don't have a backlog. It's cool if you don't buy alot of games and you don't really have much of an opinion on what you get to play. But every month people are talking about "whats new on gamepass this month" and 9 times out of 10 it's a game I've already played, or something that is pretty middle to low tier and I wasn't interested anyway.

I'm always going to choose to play the games that are most interesting to me at the time.

And as an example, I don't just watch whatever meh crap netflix churns out month after month. I spent time renting movies and watching different services for the best of the best tv shows and movies. I don't like the idea of spending anymore money on a monthly service that dictates what I can and can't play. I'll choose to play less games that are IMO high quality and worth my attention over having access to 100 games that 99% of I won't play.

But anyway I don't consider myself loyal to anyone. I went SNES > Dreamcast > Xbox > Xbox 360 > PS3 > PS4 > Xbox One (sold it after it sat on my shelf for 2 years with no exclusive games to play) and now looking at probably a PS5 because of the games. I also have owned Gamecube/Wii/Wii U and now Switch but Nintendo doesn't really compete with MS and Sony so they are always my "side console". 

Xbox one X not on my radar at all, because I can just play those games (if they ever release an exclusive besides Halo, Forza or Gears that i'm interested in) on my PC for cheap... sign up gamepass for 1 month then unsub.

There is no pressing need for a series X and that's by MS's own design. So they likely will get no sale from me.

That's a huge point. Browsing through Gamepass log, I've counted about 8ish titles I want to play right now. I definitely wouldn't use nearly 60% of the service, because I too like to play a game only if I want it.

Besides, Hellblade and Ori are the games I care about Series X right now, while PS5 gathered my attention with 3 exclusives on one presentation, not counting what the other first party studios will deliver. Perhaps I'm not loyal to a brand, I just happen to be loyal to a game genre that's materclassed by PS, but that's such a thin line between these statements, so I think is just easier to say I'm loyal to PlayStation anyway, since the only major competition I see is from Nintendo's side, but I'm not into their IPs.

ive stuck to playstation because i like the controller better. xbox controllers are for banana hands and salad fingers. but now with this new ps5 controller looking like a xbox controller im a bit stumped. im hoping the pictures are just a bad perspective view. 

honestly xbox has always had sharper more crisp picture and graphics. xbox has mostly been better. but at the end of the day the controller has to be good. i remember my friend had the jaguar when we were little and that controller was a nightmare. it had 12 buttons you could do fatalities in mortal kombat just by pressing 1 button lol. it was a useless system.

i'll prob get ps5 just because ive always got playstation. but im not thrilled about it at all. im very letdown by the controller change. and none of the games they previewed are the least bit interesting to me. i was hoping for a new battlefield at least.

also the ps5 rmeinds me of the movie oblivion lol 

a25042848bb47cde7288df27f93a554c.jpg

Loyal? I guess you can say that, but honestly the only reason I'm on playstation is because I used to own a PS1 and PS2 when I was 5 years old. So when it was time to comeback to the console family, I had to choose between PS3 and Xbox 360, obviously I picked PS3, then PS4 and in a few months, PS5. Now I don't see any point to get an Xbox. The story would be the same If I started with the original Xbox and picked the Xbox 360 instead, I wouldn't be here ?.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Considering I have a PS4 Slim, Xbox One S and Nintendo Switch... I don't feel like I'm particularly loyal to one brand.

I have the opposite problem actually.  Owning all the consoles and having no loyalties really makes it difficult to decide which one to buy multiplatform games for, which means I need this loose set of rules that is already kinda hard to follow as circumstances change and will probably fall to the wayside totally as I pick one console over another to start next gen.  I own many more games for the Playstation than the Xbox though, and the Switch is probably getting close to the Playstation.  So I could see me phasing Xbox Series X out until it gets a few interesting exclusives.

Edited by Dreakon13

3 hours ago, Kristen Danielle said:

I'm not so much loyal to Sony as I am a person who loathes Microsoft as a company. lol Either way, it makes the choice easy.

Why? Microsoft makes great efforts to develop and provide products and services to people with various disabilities for example.

On 6/16/2020 at 3:30 PM, djb5f said:

Yes, absolutely.  Playstation all the way.  Deeply invested in their 1st party titles and of course the trophy system.  And with some form of backwards compatibility coming, that only adds to it.

Sony would really have to screw the pooch for me to switch at this point (very unlikely).

EDIT - I don’t consider myself a fanboy either.  I realize 90+% of the gaming between XBox and Playatstion is nearly identical.  If I had started with Xbox, I probably stay with them but for obvious reasons (aforementioned Sony’s 1st party titles and games having a platinum to show completion), I am glad I didn’t.

I think this sums it up nicely for myself as well. The fact I started with PS (well technically went NES --> Genesis --> PSone) is what continues to keep me aboard on the PS train. Early years of PSone/PS2 and even early PS3 backwards compatibility made it a no-brainer to stick with it plus exclusive titles I preferred on PS over Xbox (up until FF13, Final Fantasy was Sony only from 7 to 12).

Also no interest in finding new online friends, starting a new achievement profile, etc. 

11 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Considering I have a PS4 Slim, Xbox One S and Nintendo Switch... I don't feel like I'm particularly loyal to one brand.

I have the opposite problem actually.  Owning all the consoles and having no loyalties really makes it difficult to decide which one to buy multiplatform games for, which means I need this loose set of rules that is already kinda hard to follow as circumstances change and will probably fall to the wayside totally as I pick one console over another to start next gen.  I own many more games for the Playstation than the Xbox though, and the Switch is probably getting close to the Playstation.  So I could see me phasing Xbox Series X out until it gets a few interesting exclusives.

You think having a Xbox hinders your trophy hunting a little, or it's not a big deal? I mean, how do you decide which 3rd party games you gonna get on one platform or another..

If I was asked this question before I started trophy hunting and had both machines, I'd buy every 3rd party on Xbox, and leave PS for exclusives since I don't really play online. Now that I'm itching for platinums, no way I'd waste time on another platform if it's available on both ends.

9 minutes ago, kaltezhan said:

You think having a Xbox hinders your trophy hunting a little, or it's not a big deal? I mean, how do you decide which 3rd party games you gonna get on one platform or another..

If I was asked this question before I started trophy hunting and had both machines, I'd buy every 3rd party on Xbox, and leave PS for exclusives since I don't really play online. Now that I'm itching for platinums, no way I'd waste time on another platform if it's available on both ends.

I gave up any kind of serious trophy hunting a few years ago, so it's not really on my radar.

My rule has been... single player games = PS4, multiplayer games = Xbox, indie games = Switch, and obviously exclusives go to their respective consoles.  This made sense when my buddy played Xbox more and we were on almost every night, but since he had his kid he hasn't really been around so it's been exclusives, one or two multiplatform games on the Xbox (like my NHL games I play online occasionally) and everything else on the PS4 and the Switch lately.

I re-upped PS+ until like 2024 on a deal so Xbox is kinda getting phased out... I have a feeling it'll be more PS5 and Switch next gen.  Maybe get Xbox Series X in a few years cheap if I can for the exclusives, unless something tempts me to get it sooner.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Yup, I wish I wasn't, I grew up playing on ps2/ps3 and now I'm playing on ps4. 

I never bought a Xbox or a nintendo's console, so I have no idea of how they are.

And I'm not willing to pay just to see it yet ?, because of the trophies too

• Like 1

No.

The companies aren't loyal to me, so there's no reason to be loyal to them. I'm not planning on getting a PS5 because I'm a Sony fanboy. I'm planning on getting one because I want to play exclusive games. If the Xbox Series X interests me enough, I may consider buying it.

I've owned every Nintendo platform since the 6th gen, but I'm not loyal to them.

I mean... I tend to favor Playstation, just because it's my favorite place to play. They tend to have the best controllers, and most of all, the best exclusives.

That said, as long as any console has around 2-3 games that I like, I will probably get it. I have all Nintendo handhelds, starting all the way back with the original Game Boy, a GameCube and an Xbox 360. I can't say I really mind switching sides from time to time. And the Switch Pro Controller is probably the best one I've ever held.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 11:38 AM, Zenpai said:

I mean... I tend to favor Playstation, just because it's my favorite place to play. They tend to have the best controllers, and most of all, the best exclusives.

I totally agree. I'm the same way. I wouldn't call myself bias in regards to them. But I've been a Playstation fan since the original console and for the most part Sony has never disappointed me. They always seem to innovate and take chances and produce quality hardware and obviously some of the best games around. Can't wait to see what they'll do with the PS5

• Like 1

I was a Nintendo kid going from the NES up to the Nintendo Wii. I dropped Nintendo because I grew tired of their desire to cater to a more casual audience, plus Shigeru Miyamoto started abandoning the core audience he had which thrived on the franchises that he created.

I played both Xbox and Xbox 360 but didn't play the original Xbox much outside of a few exclusives. The 360 was a lot better in many respects, played the Halo games and the Gears of War games, enjoyed them for what they were. Also played Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood both on the 360 when they were new.

Never got around to PS1, enjoyed the PS2 with their many exclusives, decided to ignore the PS3 in favor of the Xbox 360. Did not pick up the PS3 until 2012, so I was pretty late to the party. I was not around in the early days of trophy hunting unfortunately.

But with the PS4 era coming to a close, I must say I have been overall satisfied with what the PS4 console has given me. Microsoft basically shot themselves in the foot for how they handled the Xbox One. There is absolutely nothing on their console that you can't already get on Windows and Steam. Phil Spencer is a moron for thinking online gaming is the only ticket and thus he is a firm supporter of live service. The PS4 exclusives reveal that single player games still generate a lot of money and attention. Microsoft and Phil have nothing to really offer that gives Xbox an edge over PlayStation.

How Microsoft will handle their upcoming console, that's anybodies guess. Only time will tell.

• Like 1

Loyal? I don't think so... But since I was younger I've had the ps2, then the ps3 and now the ps4. I think because it was always the main console in the house. But if I had to stop playing on PlayStation I wouldn't have problem.

Not anymore, but I probably was before. :P

I actually started playing on PC myself. Then, I switched and became a Nintendo Fan myself. My cousins introduced me to some of the earlier Nintendo and SEGA consoles, but I mostly opted to follow Nintendo since that one appealed to me the most at the time. I still played with my PC on the side, but I thought that with that one and the Nintendo consoles, I hardly had any reason to get any other console. Now, I never went out of my way to "hate" on the other manufacturers, I just wasn't all that interested in them because I thought that what I had at the time was more than enough to play the games I wanted to enjoy. To a lesser degree, I tried to get some of the SEGA consoles to enjoy them, but a bit too late past their prime.

At some point during my Nintendo fandom, I eventually decided to check on Sony due to "reasons", and eventually became a fan of it. Now, not that I hate Nintendo or anything like that. I still hold them in high regard, but in the past few years, I've been mostly a PlayStation gamer. That doesn't mean I don't want to get an Xbox or Nintendo console myself. I think all devices out there have their fair share of games that need to be experienced. Personally, I look forward to getting an Xbox at some point just to play some of its original games. I already have a classic Xbox, but I know I'm missing on a lot of the best originals that came out on the 360 and the One. With Nintendo is pretty much the same, loved its original titles way back in the day all way up to the Wii, but I know I'm missing playing its best games on the Wii U and the Switch. The reason why I want to get one of those is to experience the aforementioned games.

As for multi-platform games, well, I already feel comfy enough with this profile under PlayStation, so I may as well stick to it for the time being. Plus, Sony has some cool exclusives as well. :)

Absolutely am.  Xbox's business model is absolutely disgusting.  

Think about this.  Anyone who doesn't purchase an Xbox console gets access to Xbox Live parties, and MP for free.  You can party up right now, on the Xbox app for free.  BUT if you invest in their console you must pay for XBL to party up and play online.  

XBOX'S ONLY TRUE EXCLUSIVE IS PAYING FOR XBOX LIVE.  Xbox is almost a full 3rd party developer, publishing games on NIN, Steam, and PS.  Why own an Xbox?  

Xbox doesn't want you to own your games.  Their DRM vision from 2013 is still very much intact, just repackaged as gamepASS, and xCloud.  Always online, you don't own your product, rely on a Trillion dollar company to provide you with a "service".  Games are not a service.

Xbox supports loot boxes, Phil Spencer is on the board that is fighting to keep them in games.  

And this is someone who invested in Xbox for years, but couldn't stand their business model any longer.  I have over 300,000 Gamerscore.  Xbox GT NxtDutch

Edited by NxtDoc
Spell check
  • Like 1

I've been gaming since the NES and my brother and I have always had multiple consoles. Every generation we would choose which system we wanted as our main and then at somepoint down the lifecycle we would pick up another. 

Main

-NES

-SNES

-N64

-Xbox

-Xbox 360 (red ringed)

-PS4

Secondary

-Genesis

-PSOne

-GameCube

-PS3

-Wii

-Switch

There's also handhelds and PC gaming in there. I'm all in for Sony's ecosystem for my trophy hunting. 

kinda have been because of trophies the last 8 years. 

although still own all my many older consoles, never owned anything xbox related however.

i'm not always going to trophy hunt though, not even really interested in a ps5 either at this time, only had ps4 for a couple of years and a half, most of the sony exclusives do nothing for me, i try one here and there and found myself bored like HZD and god of war 4. not really the hugest fan of AAA gaming anyhow. that's not why i play playstation systems anyhow, its mostly for the anime games. 

however considering in the future replaying older nintendo system games, maybe revisiting the 3DS as i didn't really give it much of my time due to trophies, and possibly think about getting a switch down the line. hopefully some of their first party games become nintendo selects sooner or later, one of the reasons i avoid nintendo is their games are too expensive and almost never have sales lol. 

ps5 isn't out of the question per say, but with my interest in trophy hunting becoming less of a thing, actually at times feels like it raises my stress, anxiety, and depression more. also the fact its probably going to be very expensive at that, i might have considered a digital version as i mostly buy games that way, however have not liked many of the sales this year, sure there are a lot of cheap stuff, but its mostly the same and games i'm not interested in. also the fact that sales for vita and other legacy consoles are gone as well really sucks.