What currently is your white whale right now in gaming

6 hours ago, LoveInHell said:

I don’t get it. ?‍♀️

Basically, "white whale" is a metaphor of pursuing something (obsessive like, even) in the hopes of conquering it, but you fail to do so. The term is brought forth from the novel Moby Dick by Herman Melville.

For me, it's basically fighting games. I can get through story modes fine, but challenge trials/mastering all moves/beating Hard Mode etc is out of my skill zone so a fair amount of plats will be out of my reach.

Another one is getting a good rating on Pumpkin Head Guy in Night In The Woods for :bronze:Maestro. I can learn the pattern when I watch a video for it, when I go to do it I just can't hit the notes right in the last third part. It's damn annoying and I'm not gonna buy a keyboard just to pop 1 trophy ughhhhh.

Edited by Bittersweet
Spelling
  • Like 2

FF15 Companions. Not the standalone. I used the patch thing to get the older version - then got the Comrades Add-On. Well, my game auto updated to the newest version BUT Comrades is still playable from the Main Game Menu. I got a LOT of them done but when my game updated, it made me start a new Companions game. Annoying as ***!

BUT all I need is the lvl 99 chocobo, do the future quests with all 4 main characters, and get all Royal Sigils. 

I know it's in sight but MAN is it hard to find motivation to knock it out. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, insaneeeRob said:

The platinum of Little Big Planet... Three trophies away from the plat. I'm not good at completing levels without dying lol

I know the game is easy :(

You can do it!  It took me a decade but I made it.  Someday I'll get to 100% if I ever get back to beat the MGS DLC.

• Like 2

Two things:

Getting up the nerve to fight the final boss in Sekiro. I try to at least finish most games if I don't plat them but that final boss is a brick wall.

Landing on the sun station in Outer Wilds.  Great game, but if you've played it you know how tough this is.  Every month or two I'll take another go at it and then give up an hour later.

3 hours ago, ChickenMan759 said:

Fortnite’s Platinum. Only have the grind trophies left but since the devs announced they were slowing updates I’ve soured on playing the game, especially since I’ve been playing the same content for 2 years ?

I'd make the most of the grind for the time being, but don't get to the unlock requirements - ALL trophies are bugged with the latest update.

Definitely soured my experience with Fortnite.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bittersweet said:

Basically, "white whale" is a metaphor of pursuing something (obsessive like, even) in the hopes of conquering it, but you fail to do so. The term is brought forth from the novel Moby Dick by Herman Melville.

For me, it's basically fighting games. I can get through story modes fine, but challenge trials/mastering all moves/beating Hard Mode etc is out of my skill zone so a fair amount of plats will be out of my reach.

Another one is getting a good rating on Pumpkin Head Guy in Night In The Woods for :bronze:Maestro. I can learn the pattern when I watch a video for it, when I go to do it I just can't hit the notes right in the last third part. It's damn annoying and I'm not gonna buy a keyboard just to pop 1 trophy ughhhhh.

I am happy that most people get the white wale reference 

my other white wale other then master rank in plants vz zombie battle for neighborville (20 master ranks 50 levels per character)

Is now going back to bullet girls Phantasie and level all characters to level 99 

i really need stop playing games where I just grind mindless for levels 

• Like 1

Call me Ishmael.

I have 3 actually, and they're all on the Vita. 

LittleBigPlanet - No death runs. I only need 2 more levels, and the minigame had me puzzling for months. Those Vita controls suck, but I think I just need to disable the Internet access for the game. I don't really want to do that until I complete the 10% co op bubbles for one of the dlcs.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - The battle system scares me. I might have to start again.

Everybody's Golf - I'll get good one day....one day

• Like 1

Beyond: Two Souls. I just played the game X times already that I don't know what finish I did. That and the 100 or 150 community levels in LittleBigPlanet Karting, but the online is closed so that white whale is long gone, still laughing at me from his grave.

Pretty much Platting RDR2. 

I mean, I enjoy the game but I have a hard time making a ton of progress in one sitting. And when it comes to trophies the big ones on the list are such a test of endurance at this point. Getting 70 Gold Medals, Studying and Skinning nearly 200 animals, everything I still have to do online. The story will definitely be finished eventually (currently on Chapter 4 as I type this), but the real test will be doing the drawn out stuff above long enough to secure that Plat. 

15 hours ago, rolldogg187 said:

Hoping that gaming can stay a fun and censorship free place given the times we live in where everything offends someone and we are already seeing this affect some of our games.

This is a big one right here.

Another problem I think is modern AAA games are trying to infuse politics a bit too much. Yes it's great that a game has 4K graphics, 30 - 60 FPS and all but focus on the gameplay, focus on making it fun. I feel Naughty Dog has gone too much into the realm of movie like experiences where they try to put realism into their games. I don't want to be reminded of politics, what someone has to say on social economics and all that crap every time I want to relax with a game.

That is why I tend to play indies because they draw parallels to what gaming used to be. You don't need a game that took a multi million dollar budget to make for it to be fun. That is something a lot of modern gamers have forgotten. They play a game because it has spectacular graphics and impressive cinematics, when those things are really more about the presentation than about the substance. Those aren't why I got into gaming in the first place.

Then when somebody tries to make a game that is more historically accurate to the time period it portrays, such as Kingdom Come Deliverance, it gets blasted by journalists, critics and gamers alike for not taking a revisionist approach.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3

Currently, mine is collecting all of the reports three times in Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. This is a new account, so I don't have that game loaded up on my profile yet, but I was working on it before I got this account. I switched because my old one, which is now my alt for testing out games, had unobtainable online trophies and I wanted a 100% completion account.

On 12/07/2020 at 11:25 PM, Blood-Stalker1 said:

for me this moment my white wale right now is getting every character master rank in plants vs zombie battle neighborville 

only 60 level remaining for my platinum 

Same! Although I’ve only just passed half way ? what method are you levelling up with. I’ve been playing garden ops.

Right now it's far cry primal. Having to max skill my player for the last trophy.  But the moment I max him out, there'll be nothing to do in the game which makes no sense at all.  Wouldn't it have been better to have it possible to max him out half way through the story. As it is the story has long finished,  only got about 5 boring ass side missions to go and I'm still 25 skill points short.  Stupid game!

On July 12, 2020 at 6:15 PM, Carol said:

Finding a game that I can truly enjoy after playing the masterpiece called “The Last of Us: Part II”. Everything that I play now seems so vulgar compared to TLOU 2... I just want to keep replaying it. 

Funniest post I've seen all year. Thanks for the laugh.