Popular games you couldn't get into/didn't like.

kingjavs

For me, it would have to be Life is Strange...

I'm sure it's a great game and suuuper popular, but I was pressured into playing it by work friends who raved about it's amazingness and I just felt let down. I expected gold and rainbows by the time they'd finished overhyping it and so it felt really flat when I played. I think if I do ever try to get back into it, I'll have to have given it about 5 years to forget the hype that was drilled into my brain

Edited by EmzOLV
Tidying up grammar

On 12/3/2020 at 6:43 PM, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

bro, keep playing. The game is so good

Are you really just here to gatekeep on people not liking Persona 5?

I'll say Dragon Age. Maybe I just played it too late, but it just felt behind the times and not very well polished.

8 hours ago, Denvirus said:

I'll say Dragon Age. Maybe I just played it too late, but it just felt behind the times and not very well polished.

I just told him to keep playing and give it another try, you can think what you want bruh

a

and the first guy was an absolute idiot so I don't even have to defend myself against him

Edited by NOWITSREYNTIME17

Assassin's Creed Odyssey: That game is quantity over quality personified. Playing it just felt like busywork after a while. I'm honestly surprised I stuck it out for the plat - maybe because I genuinely liked the Ancient Greek setting and kept hoping there would be some more fun hidden away somewhere. It also killed any hype I had for Valhalla, so that's nice.

Gravity Rush 2: I loved the first game, but something about the sequel just didn't click for me. I remember a lot of the chapters and sidequests being incredibly unfun; I was annoyed with how often they took away Kat's ability to fly around in a game where that's the whole damn point. The alternate gravity styles felt more janky than fun, too.

Burnout Paradise: I'm just not big on open-world racing games; I felt disoriented anytime I was in an actual race. IMO, 3 and Revenge nailed the Burnout formula much better, and I'd rather have the series go back to that if we ever get a new game

Fall Guys: It just couldn't hold my interest for more than a couple hours, plus I find its whole aesthetic incredibly obnoxious and annoying.

• Like 2

Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Played and loved all previous entries but man, this one was nothing but work. Liked it until after leaving the first island.

Any Monster Hunter and Dynasty Warriors like game. Nah. Tried too many.

NieR Automata. Mistake on my side here as I was not expecting bullet hell-ish battles.

And more.

• Like 2

I've tried playing Bloodborne three times so far and gotten fairly far into the game a few times, but eventually I get to a point where I either need to grind for healing items and don't care enough to, or I just get sick of spending a few minutes running back to fight a boss, and play something else. Then I keep playing that something.

Maybe I'll make it four times, and hope it sticks.

The Evil Within.

Horror fans seem to really enjoy this game. I’m very much a horror fan and this is probably one of the few games I can count on one hand that I just couldn’t get into. I’m someone who will play and generally enjoy anything... but this one was extremely boring to me.

No idea why, just never clicked.

Edited by Skurkitty
  • Like 1

there are few games for me..

1. Last of Us - this game is way too popular that made me so anticipated to this game,plus this is a game from naughty dog too, should be fun to play but found out gameplay put me off, nevertheless, story is great and graphics is top-notch

2. Shadow of Mordor GOTY - I heard this game won a lots of awards and have a GOTY edition, I decided to give it a try after I watched the combat gameplay but I found out it just a failed-copy of batman arkham game, there are so many flaws I cant express in words, the 1vs30 mobs(or infinite) combat,I just hate it.

3. FFXV - this is another great disappointment , I cant enjoy every moment even though I already finished the game, I just rush it to the end, I tried to get into story but it just so weak and the driving ,the brotherhood thing and the empty world map ,I just cant bear with it..

4. COD series - some titles from this series are free on ps plus several times,I played every of time and just meh,even with online multiplayer,I just dont get it why its so popular and sold millions of copies of each COD title..

5. Monster Hunter World - finally have a chance to play due to free on ps plus asia, I played MH during ps2 era and the gameplay put me off(everything so SLOW till I cant bear with it), I have a fb group which always talking about MHW so I thought that this game may be improved from last-last gen,so I give it a try, found out gameplay is literally same for me,everything is slow too yet they have the combat-chase-combat-chase-combat pattern which annoy me the most, nevertheless, graphics is top-notch , I rather play toukiden series, more fun than this

dont bash me,maybe I just have different game taste as I put attention more on gameplay more than anything else(graphics/story/musics/art)

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t like the original Zelda or Mario games or any retro games for that matter like Doom, Metroid, or Final Fantasy. My gaming interest never really peaked until PS3. However, I am trying to get into those games, but they’re just not for me. Aside from Super Mario Bros 3 though, that is super fun game but I unfortunately really suck at it.

I also do not like Turned Based games, but I am trying to play some. I’m going to really try hard for some Final Fantasy VII-X-2 and Persona 4/5. Hopefully I can get into them. 

Edited by Wildcat0728

Pretty much any Naughty Dog game tbh. I really don't like the gameplay their games provide, it just feels very cookie cutter and uninspired, which is a shame because I do have a soft spot for Jak & Daxter... Uncharted/Last of Us is a no-no for me though.

Also, platforming games in general. Your Mega-Mans, Marios, Hollow Knight to a lesser extent. I can deal with tough games with tough combat systems but I for the life of me cannot figure out how far I'm supposed to jump in these games half of the time and fall to my death 24/7. It's a joy of having terrible depth perception haha.

Borderlands 2. People hyped it up like it's one of the best looter shooters ever, but I bounced off it almost immediately, which is a litle weird since I enjoyed the first one a lot. I think they leaned too much into the humor to a point where I thought it was too forced and not funny anymore, the characters weren't as interesting as in the first game, and it started to feel too formulaic and repetitive. 

Resident Evil series

Have to say Resi7 and Resi2 remake looks really good but the rest never appealed to me much. I own Resident Evil (1) on PS4 because it was free once and tried the demo for Resident Evil Revelations 2 with my girlfriend but the games are really bland en boring to me.

Final Fantasy series

Never have I been as confused as I was when I started up a lend copy of FFXV for the first time and got dropped in a world were people shout out names like I'm supposed to know who they are from any of the previous 14 parts or so. Graphics were beautiful but story-wise I felt so lost in this big world. Aside from XV I never liked FF games. Way too weird, complicated and overhyped in my opinion.

Probably Skyrim. Finally played it few years ago and struggled to complete it.

Call me old fashioned, but it wasn't even much of an RPG to be honest. Story was terrible, tons of glitches, gameplay was subpar, NPCs were as dumb as a door nail, formula for playing got stale quickly and other personal preferences (e.g., not getting XP from killing enemies).

• Like 3