Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

On 23/03/2021 at 6:55 PM, SHADOW-KILLER-S2 said:

Always nice to come home after a long and hard day of work and see 160+ new messages in 1 thread. 1f602.png

We live in a society :awesome:

6 minutes ago, MrTrofyHunter said:

If I read this entire thread with every post and this turns out to be just a false rumor, I'm going to be pissed!

This is getting a bit out of hand, i do believe ?

Edited by Sigma999

6 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Let me ask everyone this... If this happens, is it enough to make you switch to Xbox?

Sony has definitely made big mistakes these past months with their current services, but It's still a far better option for me than buying a Xbox Series X/S. Enlisting some of my reasons:

1.- Xbox gaming is mostly suscription-dependent, and I don't really like not having permanent ownership of a copy of my played games.

2.- It is rare to even see a Xbox One in sale around my country, let alone Series X/S and physical games. Buying physical Xbox games isn't an option for me.

3.- I like PS exclusives more than Xbox exclusives. Besides Sunset Overdrive, Gears of War's games, and Halo games, I can't really remember another IP that is somewhat interesting from my perspective.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Nowhere to get it cheaper in US? Loads of places to get it cheaper here in UK. One thing that's been going for years is using O2 sim cards to get £25 (use to be £30) PSN credit for either free or £5. 

If your a sam’s club member you can get a $100 for $94.98, so you save a little bit... also OffGamers has a fee at the end of transaction, but usually still has decent prices

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Let me ask everyone this... If this happens, is it enough to make you switch to Xbox?

The only thing that would make me switch to Xbox is if Falcom moves to exclusively developing games for Xbox because that is the main reason why I have a Vita and PS4.  Since the chances of that are almost none, the Xbox 360 will very likely remain the first and only Xbox system I ever owned and it's still just sitting in its box unplayed for years after the last time I moved.  To be honest, if they stop being PSN exclusive it's more likely they'll move back to PC development.

Bear in mind, I used to work for Xbox support, so I also have some personal reasons to dislike Microsoft as a company and would definitely need games I absolutely cannot resist to be exclusive to it.  Since JRPGs are my favorites and Falcom is the main dev of the games I absolutely cannot resist, the chances are almost none because Japanese devs don't seem to like Xbox much and only the big AAA ones that I don't care much for have been getting released on Xbox.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

I actually swapped over from Xbox (8+ years) to PS in late 2019 (PS4 is my first ever PlayStation).

Main reason? Games. PS has by far a superior selection of games that I like to play, seconded only by the Switch but I didn't consider that console because it lacks any form of achievement system. Actually the only reason I stayed on Xbox that long was because I didn't wanna give up my achievements but eventually the game selection was just so dry that I couldn't do it anymore.

However I'm going to be honest with you, I'm extremely frustrated by PSNow and lack of PS3 backwards compatibility options without straight up buying a PS3 that may or may not actually be relevant based on circulating rumors. I recently took a look at PSNow and found a couple games I'd be insterested in (especially Disgaea 2/3 and Lego Clone Wars)... but then was absolutely sad to see that none of the Tales games of the PS3 era are on there. Guess I'll have to get a PS3 if I ever want to play those... By far Xbox dominates in the gamepass/backwards compatibility option department with their XSX console. I would have even been OK if my PS4 was the only option for BC of most PS3 games, but nope. I totally understand and get it, weird architecture and blah blah but come on. Not having more options to play these games that I would LITERALLY BUY RIGHT NOW absolutely blows.

There's a load of JRPGs I WANT to play from the PS3 gen and would INSTANTLY buy a PS5/PSNow subscription if more options were available on PSNow or if PS5 had full PS3 BC. What's even more frustrating is that Sony is being shepherded by someone who "doesn't see why people want to play older games", sort of mentality. Gives me real good vibes for any more BC options in the future... not.

If Xbox stepped up their JRPG offerings massively I would probably swap back to Xbox. I don't really care much about any of the Sony "mainstream" exclusives besides Bloodborne. Disgaea, most of the Tales of series, Ys, etc. on the other hand... that's what sold the PS system for me and continues to fill up my backlog. 

Though recently with some very... questionable decisions by Sony, I'm skeptical on the availability of some of the games I really want to play. Especially Disgaea 6. I'm still upset that it's getting a PS4 east release but not a PS4 west release (at least for now). But whatever.

Edited by Sword
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, yuber1234 said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/playstation-patents-the-ability-to-add-trophies-to-emulated-retro-games

A friend of mine brought this to my attention. I don't know if this makes the store closure rumors less likely or more likely.

I don't think this provides evidence either way with regards to the rumors.  Still pretty interesting and cool that trophies might be coming to old ps2 games.

I'm starting to believe these "rumors" are pure BS aside from concerns regarding the PS3's hardware in event of server shutdown.  All the news articles are citing the same news source from "The Gamer", which doesn't even seem to be that reliable of a news source.

Edited by CL0CKW0RK133
  • Like 2

On 2021-03-24 at 2:57 PM, Cryogenicide_X said:

Nah. Exclusives being the biggest reason why but I've also built up a collection of games over the years that can keep me gaming comfortably for a long time. At the end of the day it's all about the games so as long as they keep making great quality exclusives and competent consoles to run em, I'll continue supporting.

Edited by BrandedBerserk

53 minutes ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

Tell that to the same developers/publishers still doing sales for 360 games on Xbox platforms. 

Sony are going out of their way to block any kind of sales for games on legacy hardware  that aren't cross play compatible.

Now that's just sad :(

I didn't know there were still sales for xbox 360 games... But with the BC it's to be expected tbh. More of a reason why we need backwards compatibility.

Companies usually patent lots of things, most are not even used, let's hope that the one a couple comments before mine becomes a reality. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sword said:

I'm extremely frustrated by PSNow and lack of PS3 backwards compatibility options without straight up buying a PS3

Eh, I wouldn't be too upset that PS4 lacks backwards compatibility to PS3, especially since the PS4/Xbox1 generation is pretty much the generation of remasters.

9 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Closing of the PS3/Vita store, no.

Any of the other rumors (preventing downloading of digitally purchased games, unable to earn trophies on old games etc.), I don't know.  I might move away from console gaming entirely.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Not in the slightest. Even amidst bad decisions, Sony puts out better games. Xbox is just full of crickets, disappointments, and a terrible controller.

Thats why i have stuck with Sony for many years. I like their games better and the playstation controller is so much nicer. 

Im super glad i bought everything i needed from the ps3 and ps vita store. I hope this is not true though but at least i will be prepared. 

• Like 3

Damm it, I have like 100 PSN only games that I want, not to mention the múltiple DLCs from disc copy games. 

If this happens tons of ps3 games will be unplatinable. 

And what about the updates from games in disc format????

We need the servers for everything. 

This is sooooo baaaad. 

13 minutes ago, Hwoarang_21 said:

Damm it, I have like 100 PSN only games that I want, not to mention the múltiple DLCs from disc copy games. 

If this happens tons of ps3 games will be unplatinable. 

And what about the updates from games in disc format????

We need the servers for everything. 

This is sooooo baaaad. 

Yeah especially if they take the PS3 server down , it will make everything worse like you can’t almost get everything. 

11 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Only in case i am not allowed to synce trophies from my PS3 games and not to Microsoft (they suffer the same "digital disease" as Sony) but to Nintendo. And, in that case, i will be returning to my gaming roots. The big, BIG advantage of Nintendo over Sony and Microsoft (among any other one listed) is that you can practically get all the library of games for the Switch in physical state WITHOUT having to download updates and patches.¿Closed store? Big deal, i don't give 5 pennies (and Nintendo already shutted down the Wii, DS and 3DS virtual stores).

The rumour has us worrying because it's plausible. Since the PS4 launched, and especially since management of PlayStation shifted to Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC in 2016, under Jim "Why would anybody play this?" Ryan, the company attitude appears to have changed dramatically. 

Backwards compatibility for anything pre-PS4 is not the new Sony's priority, because there isn't short term profit in it. Xbox commits to preservation and BC for good word of mouth, Sony (and Nintendo) don't feel they need to do that because they're already "winning" and you'll buy it again. 

Take PS1 games, you buy them in the 90s, can still play them on your PS2 and PS3, some obscure ones you can't find get a digital release for PSP, 3 and Vita, so you buy them too. The PS4 doesn't support them because... no real reason except a plan to maybe sell them to you again later, the PS5 doesn't support them because the PS4 didn't and, once again, they're probably trying to figure out how to monetise it, maybe that's how they'll make PSNow worth having. 

In short, it's just a rumour at the moment, but it's easy to be cynical about it and assume the worst considering PlayStation's current direction. I hope they won't do the scummiest thing. 

• Like 4

It's so sad i still play games on ps3. I earn most of trophies on ps3. We must retweet on PlayStation if this true. I have a lot of games on vita. really i don't know why they remove everything good on ps3. Now they will remove soon communities on ps4. It's very annoying me.

Isn't that whole syncing trophies thing something completetly different than closing the stores? I heard that syncing trophies and such is all part of the same infrastructure by Sony. So syncing your trophies on the Vita, the PS3, PS4 and PS5 are all part of the same system. Is that true?

• Like 2