UNCHARTED - Official Movie Trailer

LastMinuteSavior

What's this hate, lol. This looks fine. Like an average decent blockbuster movie. The one thing I don't really like is how the plane scene looks with that much CGI. But that's just because I'm spoiled by the insane practical stunts in Mission Impossible movies. The trailer didn't instantly get me excited (not many films actually do nowadays), but maybe I'll watch it some day.

It's funny how people would prefer 50 year old Nathan Fillion to carry a potential movie franchise to 25 year old Tom Holland. Guys, Nathan Fillion is awesome, and he would've been a perfect casting choice... in 2005-2010. Tom Holland is probably not the best person for the role, but certainly not the worst.

And I'll echo what people say about the story. A scene-for-scene adaptation would suck, IMO. Not only would it be boring and predictable, but the hardcore fans would pick it apart and judge even more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stan Lee said:

It actually doesn't look terrible despite what a lot of you are saying, could be a fun watch at least; decent but nothing special.

For those confused, the movie is clearly in its own continuity taking inspiration from the games, though I don't blame folks for thinking this was going to be a prequel before this dropped. 

Also, I find it hilarious that gamers still seem to think that movie and TV adaptations are being made for them when that is never the case regardless of the medium- adaptations are made to bring stories to different audiences in a different medium; out of everybody who saw the The Lord of the Rings films, how many had read the books previously? Many things were changed including the way certain characters look and act. Worlds exist outside of our bubbles and gamers seem to be unique in being ignorant of that. A good example of this is the "mArK wAhLbErG iS mIsCaSt!!!" bandwagon. I'm not a fan of Wahlberg at all and maybe he'll suck along with the movie but nobody here is actually qualified to make such a judgement until we actually see the film, until then what you're actually saying is "he isn't who I wanted to play Sully therefore he sucks".

This. Completely agree. 
The film seems entertaining enough based on this trailer. I was not expecting Lawrence of Arabia or The Godfather, just wanting to watch something entertaining. It can even turn out to be good, we do not know. 

Regarding casting, pre-judging tends always to be bad. Sony owns Spider-Man so Holland is a "man of the house" and can pull big audiences to his film. Same applies to Whalberg, which I do not really like, but can make a good job. Banderas as the villain can be very interesting. Uncharted always had "goofy" and "stereotipical" villains and I feel Banderas can be that, something in line with what he did in Landromat with Gary Oldman.

This could be a nice watch and we should give sony a chance. If it fails, maybe they'll have to reconsider the approach.

TLDR: Could be good, or at least entertaining. Let's wait and see.

bmg_ps.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheAbyssWalker61 said:

i hope all this movies and series fail and they lost a lot of money so they can focus on games,GAMES,  i want games, we want games...

To me this means that Sony is not done with the IP and wants more people in on it. Which eventually will be more games and people familiar with the movie might give the new game a shot. Uncharted gamers don't need to be sold on the IP anymore than they already are.

9 minutes ago, boorish_brute said:

To me this means that Sony is not done with the IP and wants more people in on it. Which eventually will be more games and people familiar with the movie might give the new game a shot. Uncharted gamers don't need to be sold on the IP anymore than they already are.

uh no, i hope they leave the ip dead,  i dont want to see new ugly characters in the saga, Nathan its Uncharted and Uncharted its Nathan

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Never understood why they didn't go with Bruce Campbell, he would have been such a perfect Sully

He was also a part of my dream cast, and probably the only person who could have gotten me to watch this, speaking as a big Sully fan. But, he's not famous enough, so...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, XOVH99 said:

Does anyone know if the movie is considered canon?

You mean in the game universe? No.

44 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

While I like Mark, I really think he should have dyed his hair gray and had a mustache. 

There are shots of him wearing a mustache on the set. 

13 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

120M budget, I will be surprised if it makes anywhere near half that. 

<60 million worldwide? Bruh.

Edited by Slava

I'll give it a chance and reserve judgement for later - however this doesn't get my hopes very high.

Uncharted has a lot of character and story, this seems more down the Micheal Bay boom-boom route with just cramming U4 (pirate ship), U3 (plane scene) memorable moments into one movie with non-stop action-to-action without much to prop it up.

This works for Transporter movies but....

Honestly, I felt more attracted to National Treasure (Nic Cage) trailer than this. That movie carriers more Uncharted vibe than what this seems to.

I wouldn't mind good movies coming out of game IP's (Metal Gear Solid, Control... there is epic source material) but... it is a fact it usually turns out bad.

4 minutes ago, Slava said:

<60 million worldwide? Bruh.

Agree with your sentiment. I actually think it’ll meet the budget at the very least (minimal) for the name alone. And many older folks who don’t know the game, might actually like the look of this kind of adventure movie. Guess we won’t know til it releases.

Could put up malodorous numbers…

• Like 1

I thought it looked...ok. 

Not a fan of reusing game set pieces, but whatever.

I expect it to be around the level of enjoyment as Alicia Vikander's Tomb Raider which was also just ok but with moments of fun.

This casting is still better than the Borderlands movie casting choices. However, not casting Bruce Campbell as Sully will be the biggest missed opportunity in my lifetime.

2 minutes ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Agree with your sentiment. I actually think it’ll meet the budget at the very least (minimal) for the name alone. And many older folks who don’t know the game, might actually like the look of this kind of adventure movie. Guess we won’t know til it releases.

Could put up malodorous numbers…

People like good fun adventure movies. Indiana Jones, Aquaman, The Mummy trilogy, etc. Plucky, clever and sarcastic adventurers looking for lost relics has a fun appeal to it.

With Indy 5 shaping up to be a trainwreck and getting delayed, perhaps Nathan Drake can fill that niche if this movie is actually good.

Looks like it will probably be fun, but hollow. The director did Venom, which was utter shit. The 3 screenwriters have both Transformers: The Last Knight and Men in Black: International under their collective belts, so I'll be shocked if the movie is anything other than dumbed-down and forgettable.

Also not a fan of it being exclusively in theaters. Sony should have at least made it available to rent through PSN, you know, with a deadly pandemic still going on and all.

• Like 3

I’ll just ignore the fact when I see Tom Holland I see Spiderman.

I’m going to the cinemas for this one and give it a chance. There’s so many crying kids who want a different actor as Nathan Drake. Just accept it because they aren’t changing it anyways.

imo I think it’s going to be great

3 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

It actually doesn't look terrible despite what a lot of you are saying, could be a fun watch at least; decent but nothing special.

For those confused, the movie is clearly in its own continuity taking inspiration from the games, though I don't blame folks for thinking this was going to be a prequel before this dropped. 

Also, I find it hilarious that gamers still seem to think that movie and TV adaptations are being made for them when that is never the case regardless of the medium- adaptations are made to bring stories to different audiences in a different medium; out of everybody who saw the The Lord of the Rings films, how many had read the books previously? Many things were changed including the way certain characters look and act. Worlds exist outside of our bubbles and gamers seem to be unique in being ignorant of that. A good example of this is the "mArK wAhLbErG iS mIsCaSt!!!" bandwagon. I'm not a fan of Wahlberg at all and maybe he'll suck along with the movie but nobody here is actually qualified to make such a judgement until we actually see the film, until then what you're actually saying is "he isn't who I wanted to play Sully therefore he sucks".

While I do completely agree with you mate, the fact is that this is a well established IP and the people making the movie need to treat it with respect

which I find very lacking by the looks of the trailer

if they called it Unearthed, maybe it would be more appealing, but this way people will compare it to the games. Just as we do with movies based on books etc.