Assassin’s Creed Mirage

An Assassin's Creed game that doesn't have terrible RPG-style mechanics and doesn't have a big empty map that's 4 times bigger than it should be?? I can't believe it, but I sure hope so, I'll be following this one!

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 3

I loved Origins, because it was something fresh for the series, at least from a gameplay perspective, not to mention just a very good game in general. I, like many others, felt the series needed a major shake-up at the time, so I wasn't about to complain when Ubisoft did just that. But the problem is that despite vague suggestions at the time that the series would no longer be a yearly franchise, we got Odyssey the very next year and it was basically a reskin of Origins. Only 2 entries in with this new approach to the series and it was already feeling stale and as though yet another shake-up was needed. Now we're apparently going back to basics with this entry and... I don't know what to think anymore. I'm not against it, but I don't know if it's enough to get me invested in the series again.

I'm yet to touch Valhalla and I don't know if I ever will as it seems like an absolute chore if I'm honest. I mean, DLC is/was still being released as of very recently. I don't know if I could take the monotony of it all. But regardless of any gameplay changes, the thing that lost me the most is the story. I really stopped caring about what was happening shortly after the Ezio games. Even the modern day story which used to be interesting, became stupid and boring. They just kept adding more and more to the lore, but in really convoluted and confusing ways to the point I just gave up caring. What started off as something truly captivating in the earlier games quickly lost its way. So yeah, in short I don't know if I'll stick around to actually play this, but at the very least I'll look into reviews and see how it pans out. Maybe pick it up on sale at some point assuming they don't go crazy with DLC. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenShaka said:

I just hope this doesn't mean POP to be cancelled. Few hours for the live stream :)

Pop is likely being made by a smaller team as its a remake of an 8 hour game after all so i imagine the budget is very high for this game. I doubt its in as big of development hell as beyond good and evil 2.

Trailer's here.

Some new information.

[Mirage] is going to be a condensed experience," Assassin's Creed Mirage art director Jean-Luc Sala told me. "It's a more focused game. The size of it is something like a Rogue or a Revelations, just to give you an idea of the scope.

For the size of the city or the map, you can expect something that is as dense as Paris in Unity," Sala said. "We do have some wilderness around, which was not the case in Paris. Paris was just Paris, and there was very small Versailles stuff just for the flavor. But we do have more than Baghdad [in Mirage]. We can go outside the walls and see some nice places.

"Basim is definitely not Eivor," Sala said. "You have to pay attention to that, what you do, how you play. If you are hit, you are hit. You are going to regret it really, really soon. If you start to fight with big, chunky enemies, thinking this is like Valhalla, you are going to die really fast. You need to just take your time, look around. ...It's more a bird of prey playing with their prey approach. Take your time, look around, be smart, move quick, kill, disappear, think again, look around. So it's really that: you kill and vanish, then come back again. If you are static, it's no good."

"The pace of parkour is definitely faster than the previous games, so you have some tools to help you to go fast," Sala said. "So the parkour base is improved, faster. You do have new vanishing tools that help a lot. The corner swing is back, so you can just go really fast, turn around, and go somewhere else. It's a mixture of old and new mechanics, but nothing revolutionary."

"That's your mission," Sala said. "So all the activities of the bureau: investigating, identifying targets, and then identifying the boundaries of the Black Box, and see what happens there. They're going to be obviously full of enemies, so it's perhaps not a good idea to go straight in and try to reach your target. You need to be a little bit more stealthy and smart, take your time and look at what's happening before making decisions. There are multiple ways to take down your target."

The core of Eivor and Basim's story [in Valhalla] is really, really into the mythology. So that's fine. It's okay. It was really great in Odyssey [and] Origins. We don't do that [in Mirage]. That's not our story. We are in the historical setting. As you have seen in the trailers, there is something that is kind of unnatural, but, as you have noticed also, it's perhaps inside the Rite of Passage. But we don't go too far on that. It doesn't mean we don't have some hints or winks about the mythological culture of the Middle East and of Persia. So you can perhaps expect some stuff

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
Added info from GameSpot feature article
  • Like 2

I'm guessing this story is going to be made in such a way that gets us to sympathize with Basim and have a better understanding of why the ending of Valhalla happened. 

Spoiler

It felt like what Basim did in Valhalla was very villainous, and if he was going to be our modern day character going forward...this game might try and skew the players mindset of him. 

I'm down for some classic Creed on modern hardware. Though, the fickleness of people is just funny to me. People bitched and moaned for change for years, and we finally got it with the Origins trilogy, and now people want it to go back to the old style...can't wait for people to do it all over again. 

As for AC1...that game needs the remake treatment. I know people want a simple remaster, but I think a lot people forget just how bad that game actually was...especially with what came after it. Seeing Altair again would be cool, but the entire gameplay loop needs a complete refresh otherwise you're going to get the most bare bones, boring, repetitive Creed game all over again. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

The first thing that strikes me about the trailer is this is essentially a throwback to Assassin’s Creed 1 and Assassin’s Creed Revelations. 

Ubisoft took notes on what happened with Assassin’s Creed Unity and Assassin’s Creed Syndicate. Reception was not so great, so they took time to develop Assassin’s Creed Origins. THAT is the best modern day Assassin’s Creed out of all of them, because Ubisoft actually put a little effort into it. Bayek was an assassin that you later grew to appreciate. 

Then with Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Ubisoft dropped the ball and went back to fulfilling algorithms. This continues with Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, which people tell me is the Worst of the modern Assassin’s Creed games. 

Keep in mind that Ubisoft always does a good job with presentation. I was certainly fooled with Odyssey, because the introduction was solid. Then Ubisoft decides to throw the algorithm in your direction by forcing you to do a bunch of side content and unnecessary quests just to beat the story. Odyssey became a 100 hour slog. 

Mirage is going to have to impress me a bit before I even consider buying it. And there is no doubt Ubisoft will include DLC later down the road. It is inevitable at this point. 

We’ll see if they will pull a stunt like they did with Valhalla. Include an Ultimate Edition which is $120 including the Season Pass. Then deliberately advertise Dawn of Ragnarok as an actual expansion, NOT include it in the Season Pass and charge it separately. Then throw out the Complete Edition, which contains both the Season Pass (includes the Ireland and France story DLCs) and Dawn of Ragnarok expansion. Ubisoft still hasn’t released all the DLC for Valhalla yet. 

Also, according to Jack Sather of YouTube fame, the micro transactions in Valhalla come to a total of over $500 USD.

Scummy company. If Mirage is a throwback to older Assassin’s Creed games, let’s hope the game actually functions in terms of gameplay, and isn’t just another AAA game expressing the graphical fidelity, as most any AAA titles do these days.

Edited by AJ_Radio
Ubisoft is scummy

39 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Ubisoft still hasn’t released all the DLC for Valhalla yet. 

There might be more free content on the way, but Mirage was supposed to be the last expansion for Valhalla (Basim, the main character in Mirage, is a major part of the Valhalla story). But Ubisoft decided to break it off and make it, its own Stand Alone thing. Plus the patches for Valhalla are really slowing down, I think Ubisoft are on the down turn with Valhalla now. 

• Like 1