Assassin’s Creed Mirage

Good idea to go back to the original formula of Assassin's Creed games. They put out so many of those that they got stale but I think enough time has now passed that people would now welcome them. I like the RPG style as well in the newer ones although Valhalla was pretty stale and repetitive, I think both have their place in the series and would be nice if they alternate the styles with each passing game. Nothing wrong with a little variety, keep things fresh. 

I have mixed feelings about this, glad to get back to basics but don't really trust Ubisoft especially since they are just selling a dlc for full price basically. Although I am a little curious what kind of dlc for valhalla can be turned into a classic AC game, they don't really have much to do with each other.

• Like 1

Sooo then what happened with Assassin's Creed: Infinity then? They were making it out like that was their next major project after Valhalla and would be a live service game that lasted for years. And even then if this was just released as the expansion they intended, how is that still not "filling their schedule"? This sounds pointless.

This Basim game sounds like it's going stand alone expansion territory...it'll still be part of the ending of Valhalla, therefore anyone expecting old school AC are likely going to be disappointed, as I would expect it to be built on the same game engine that runs the modern games, therefore this emphasis on stealth will likely be something more akin to how stealth works in these current games...which is nothing like the old ones. 

Those of you who don't like these modern games...you better gauge your expectations now, I don't see this being what you're expecting. 

Not to mention Dawn of Ragnarok, an expansion that's attached to Valhalla already costs FORTY goddamn dollars...they better not release this for full price. 

Edited by Viper

13 minutes ago, Viper said:

So what happened with Assassin's Creed: Infinity then? They were making it out like that was their next major project after Valhalla and would be a live service game that lasted for years. And even then, if this was just released as the expansion they intended, how is that still not "filling their schedule"? This sounds pointless.

Infinity's not being released until 2024 at the earliest, according to expectations by Jason Schreier (which is the guy that broke the news in the first place). Considering Valhalla's not likely to have a third year, this would be sort of a bridge between Valhalla and Infinity.

But yeah, this project sounds an awful lot like they're just appeasing (or at least, trying to appease) people that have been complaining about RPG for the sake of getting more sales while not even having to commit to a "full-blown" thing, if so to speak. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but not being a "massive open-world RPG" doesn't necessarily mean it won't be open-world at all – it could as well just be a smaller map.

Let's see how it ends up being, I guess.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Infinity's not being released until 2024 at the earliest, according to expectations by Jason Schreier (which is the guy that broke the news in the first place). Considering Valhalla's not likely to have a third year, this would be sort of a bridge between Valhalla and Infinity.

But yeah, this project sounds an awful lot like they're just appeasing (or at least, trying to appease) people that have been complaining about RPG for the sake of getting more sales while not even having to commit to a "full-blown" thing, if so to speak. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but not being a "massive open-world RPG" doesn't necessarily mean it won't be open-world at all – it could as well just be a smaller map.

Let's see how it ends up being, I guess.

Agree.  It’s going to be open-world, just a smaller, more contained open-world with more focus on stealth.  They aren’t going to a linear Naughty Dog type story.

I have significant concerns, worries, lack of faith, and general distrust in Ubisoft being able to pull something like this anything beyond their usual uninspired MO.

For years now all they've known and done (after countless promises to 'innovate', 'reinvigorate', 'revolutionize' their IP's) was grey goo massive uninspired open-world copies.

They hit something cool, by probable accident with Far Cry 3 and milked it to death, they went astray after the last AC with Ezio hit a small something with ship mechanics and immediately milked it.

Remember the R6 downgrades and a milked game held together by spit and bubble gum?

Remember the Watch Dogs reveal trailer bullshit? Hell they even made a sequel which was the cringiest 'executives-percieved cool for millenials' game I ever had the displeasure of playing.

Remember the state of AC Unity?

I myself for the lack of other things bought FC6, for what can only be explained is a few cool scenes with G. Esposito the rest of the game is a blur even hell the only thing I know they are still trying to copy the cool weed burning mission from FC3 which itself was picked from GTA SA.

Steep, ok Steep was a fun game - the whatever came now Riders Rep was same but worse.

IMHO, I just have no expectation when Ubisoft says something.

What the hell is even happening with Beyond Good and Evil 2 years after reveal? And even that I'm afraid will be a bland check-box open world.

24 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but not being a "massive open-world RPG" doesn't necessarily mean it won't be open-world at all – it could as well just be a smaller map.

Yeah it could be as big as literally any of the areas outside of England in Valhalla, and still be Open World. I mean, really AC has pretty much ALWAYS been open world, even the first game. So I wouldn't ever expect something linear. 

If this is true they should of just told us this straight up especially after saying there was going to be 2 more expansions for valhalla (especially as they knew this for months)...  It explains why no season pass 2 and quite frankly its the least they could of done and just teased it in a decent way of their plans ahead for it.... And by the sounds of it I'm assuming infinity has been delayed till now around 2024 due to the article.

Ubisoft are terrible with communication, didn't tell the player base for WD: Legion that they ended support for the game till about 6 months after the fact and this needs to change, customers (in terms of the external side, internally they still have a lot of work to do) need to come first and a big step would be being more open and honest with customers, as this now feels like more of a cash grab than a new game and I won't be picking this one up till its massively discounted, got me at valhalla due to being able to get 20% off for the physical ultimate edition via the ubi store but this would be 50% off minimum (and just pushes back me playing valhalla as I'll still treat this "game" as DLC) before I can even consider it, if I'm coming over as harsh or too critical then I'm sorry for that ?, I'm just literally tired of how a lot of the bigger companies treat their customers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Viper said:

I'll never understand this mentality. All people did was trash this franchise by the time we got to Syndicate, all people wanted was change (which almost makes no sense in it's own right, considering this entire franchise has seen far more hits than misses)...so Ubisoft delivered on Origins, and while Odyssey and Valhalla are built on that new foundation, they're still rather different games from one another. But ever since then, all people have done is either cry that the series isn't what it used to be, or needs to change up again.

People give Ubisoft so much shit spewing venom...but then they can't win when they actually listen to demands. 

oh well it's tough being Ubisoft i guess.  If you think they are there trying to please your demands you may want to reconsider because all they are trying to do is make money.  I don't consider the last 3 game to have been good.  Endless fetch quests and errand running back and forth across a big map isn't in my opinion great gaming.  My perspective of what would make a great Assassins Creed Game was always to take a linear approach, in the style of a game like Last of us or anything naught dog.  I always felt the change they needed was to drop the open world formula for a more linear experience.  With the last 3 installments all they really did was keep the open world formula but made it more massive in size.  

As far as them hitting on most of their installments i think that is debatable.  I mean the entire gaming industry pretty much follows the same formula.  You get a game and if it's good you get two more.  At this point people start growing tired of that same formula and demand change.   the Devs either do one of three things.  1.  Like Assassins Creed they continue making more games trying to please the customer base with change (for their own financial gain of course), and they fail time and time again to capture the glory of the origins of the franchise.  2.  They discontinue the franchise and put their efforts into new ideas and experiences, (not Ubisoft of course).  3.  They take a long break between installments and try again on a next gen console.  

Ubisoft can't go two years without having to cash in on the name Assassins Creed.  they aren't cashing in on artistic approach or a fresh idea.  It's the name nothing more.  They could care less if they please you because when you quit playing AC a 8 year old some place will be getting his 1st playstation and will take your place for the next 3 installments until eventually he has to be replaced. Much like COD this is the vicious cycle of AC so any major change, rather than just revamping the open world formula by making it bigger or smaller, would be welcome imo.

I’m still skeptical. Ubisoft is purely a “do it by the numbers” corporation.

They surprised me with Assassin’s Creed Origins, though it was clear the franchise needed a series of changes. 

We’re three games into the current formula and this series already needs a change. 

I’m not holding my breath, yet I’ll still be waiting with a little anticipation.

• 6 months later...

Re2id3H.jpg

Assassin's Creed Mirage will be revealed in September, according to a new leak

The leak says the game currently code-named Rift will see the return of Basim Ibn Ishaq

The latest Ubisoft leak comes from YouTuber j0nathan(opens in new tab) (via Rebs Gaming(opens in new tab)), who claimed in a recent video that the proper title of the new game will be Assassin's Creed Mirage. It will be set in Baghdad between 860 and 870 CE, will be a return to the gameplay style of the original Assassin's Creed, and is expected out in the spring of 2023.

The leak is in reference to the Assassin's Creed spinoff(opens in new tab) codenamed Rift, whose existence came to light earlier this year. It was originally envisioned as an expansion for Valhalla, but Ubisoft decided to spin it off into a standalone game in order to bolster its Assassin's Creed lineup. The Bloomberg report that revealed Rift said that it will feature the character Basim Ibn Ishaq(opens in new tab), and will be smaller than recent releases in the series, with a heightened focus on stealth gameplay.

That all matches up with j0nathan's video, and Bloomberg journalist Jason Schreier—who wrote the February report on Rift—said on Twitter(opens in new tab) that parts of the report, including the title of the new game, setting, "return to basics" gameplay, and release target, are accurate. But he added that other elements, including that there will be multiple cities to explore, are not correct, and also expressed doubt(opens in new tab) that an Assassin's Creed remake will be released as part of the Mirage season pass. 

The timeline cited in the video fits as well: In its Q1 2022-23 report(opens in new tab), Ubisoft delayed a "smaller unannounced premium game" from its planned release this year to 2023-24.

To clarify, all of this is separate from Assassin's Creed Infinity(opens in new tab), the existence of which Ubisoft confirmed in July(opens in new tab). No details on that game have been revealed yet, but it's reportedly going to be a live-service game with multiple historic settings. We may not have heard much in the way of Assassin's Creed news over the past couple of years, but that doesn't mean that things aren't happening.

We should find out what's going on soon enough. Ubisoft has been keeping things quiet over the past year, but we have high hopes for the upcoming Ubisoft Forward 2022(opens in new tab),

a full-scale showcase that's set to take place on September 10.

https://www.pcgamer.com/assassins-creed-mirage-will-be-revealed-in-september-according-to-a-new-leak/

Ey0HboK.jpg

Edited by ziggypossum
EDIT
  • Like 3