Trophy Hunters League - Season 41 underway!

NB: Confirmation messages have been sent to low scorers this season (as per rule 5). If you qualify for this, please make sure to check your DMs on the forums and respond in time if you want to avoid force-retirement. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lucas said:

The main show of the Trophy Hunters League Team League special has come to an end! Thanks everyone for playing! :D

Congratulations to Team @ApriIis@gazdavis11@shottysniper123@steveblazinggrin for claiming victory! And how! Unbeaten for their entire run this season, massive personal and team scores, breaking multiple records... very impressive. But most impressive of all: great teamwork! As impressive as high personal scores may be, you really need to work together well in the Team variant of THL if you want a shot a winning. Team ApriIis-Gaz-Shotty-Steve gave us a perfect display of extraordinary teamwork. Well done and congratulations on your well-deserved victory! :yay:

Exact scores and final standings will be posted at a later moment due to some technical issues. We do know, however, that Team ApriIis-Gaz-Shotty-Steve have won the league with a perfect streak and who our MVP Round competitors are.

These four players ended up scoring the highest from all involved participants in their respective league. Who is the MVP of the Team League special season? Let the MVP round begin!

MVP Round 1

ApriIis v jermthejerm v shottysniper123 NuclearManager

Approximate starting time: 43 minutes from now

Good luck!

You got this win @NuclearManager

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 1:34 PM, steveblazinggrin said:

Absolutely, I'm honoured to be on the team with a 100% chance of success. 

Guess I was right when I said this! GGs to everyone and especially @ApriIis @gazdavis11 @shottysniper123. This team wouldn't have been anywhere near as fun without them, and I had a blast crushing the competition along side them. Definitely a heck of a debut season, excited to see what the future holds for THL. Good luck in the CWC yall!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Lucas said:

The main show of the Trophy Hunters League Team League special has come to an end! Thanks everyone for playing! :D

Congratulations to Team @ApriIis@gazdavis11@shottysniper123@steveblazinggrin for claiming victory! And how! Unbeaten for their entire run this season, massive personal and team scores, breaking multiple records... very impressive. But most impressive of all: great teamwork! As impressive as high personal scores may be, you really need to work together well in the Team variant of THL if you want a shot a winning. Team ApriIis-Gaz-Shotty-Steve gave us a perfect display of extraordinary teamwork. Well done and congratulations on your well-deserved victory! :yay:

Well said 👏. It was a perfect display of what Team THL should be and I'm honoured to have been part of it @shottysniper123 @gazdavis11 @steveblazinggrin. Glad we got the win the team deserved and this will go down as my favourite season of all time. Goodluck to everyone in the CWC, I already know who the real MVPs are. 

Edited by ApriIis
  • Like 4

MVP Round 2 results!

Truly exhilarating 🤣

ApriIis (8.0) v jermthejerm (20.5) v shottysniper123 (51.0)

Are we still gonna see some action on the final day? Or are we all in a deep slumber from that intense main season?

MVP Final Round

jermthejerm v shottysniper123

Approximate starting time: 37 minutes ago

Good luck! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

MVP Final Round results

jermthejerm (0.0) v shottysniper123 (4.5)

I uhh...

From what might be craziest main season in THL history with massive high-scores to probably far and away the worst finale in THL history... right...

Season wrap-up and some more info about upcoming season(s) to follow soon. For now, we break.

EDIT: ''probably'' just doesn't cut it, ''far and away'' is more applicable here :unsure:.

Edited by Lucas
  • Haha 4

This might just be the CRAZIEST match up I've ever seen. I'm honestly in tears after witnessing this absolute gaming prowess. I truly respect Shotty, not only as a teammate, but now as a true master. Valiant effort from Seb, it must hurt losing after scoring so much, a scene reminiscent of Lucas's attempt at a win in Krazy VS. ApriIis. This may just be the pinnacle of THL, GGs boys, GGs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

This aged really well....

13 hours ago, steveblazinggrin said:

This might just be the CRAZIEST match up I've ever seen. I'm honestly in tears after witnessing this absolute gaming prowess. I truly respect Shotty, not only as a teammate, but now as a true master. Valiant effort from Seb, it must hurt losing after scoring so much, a scene reminiscent of Lucas's attempt at a win in Krazy VS. ApriIis. This may just be the pinnacle of THL, GGs boys, GGs.

All the shots....

• Haha 3

Season 41 information

A little early, I know, but I would like to get everyone's opinion on something. For future individual seasons going forward, we are thinking of potentially redividing all current participants over the four main leagues. For a while now, we've been seeing that some people that have been around a while stay up in the higher leagues simply based on seniority. Of course, there's nothing wrong with this and they fully earned that spot even if that was seasons ago. However, seeing the recent surge in new, high-scoring competitors entering the league, we thought it might be a good idea, for the sake of competitiveness, to rearrange the leagues based on individual scores of the last season (Team League special). By doing this, both participants who usually score very high as well as those who score a bit lower get to have a competitive season. The high-scoring participants get to face each other in the higher leagues, while the more relaxed participants get to have fun in the lower leagues. After this one-time restructuring, league promotion/relegation would continue as usual.

We do understand that not everyone might be okay with this change and some people might rather hold onto their spot in league they are currently playing in. That's why we want to let everyone vote on it. I opened a poll at the top of this thread to see what everyone's opinions on this possible restructuring are. I also added two questions to get some feedback on the newly implemented Golden Game rule. I'd really appreciate it if you all could fill out this poll :D. Only responses from current participants will be taken into account.

Thanks!

• Like 2

The Final scores for season 41 will go online soon? I look on the google doc, because i was currious about my score. I had Done Robocop to late it seems the games only counts for a very short period of time, but anything else im thing im done fine. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Meikoro said:

The Final scores for season 41 will go online soon? I look on the google doc, because i was currious about my score. I had Done Robocop to late it seems the games only counts for a very short period of time, but anything else im thing im done fine. :)

Yes, the scoring issue is being worked on and they will be posted this week. :)

• Like 1

I like the idea of golden games but I would definitely say it needs some tuning. It is nice to add incentive to actually play good games, (unfortunately not everyone loves finding animals as much as @NuclearManager) however the incentive might not be enough. I mean, 2x points can be really good and that showed in fixture 1 with Minecraft, but I don't think it justifies starting an over 50 hour jrpg like Final Fantasy. Also, not exactly sure if this is a preventable issue, but it seemed like a decent amount of people didn't own the majority of the games selected, which lead to them being underutilized. Of course, the golden games don't need to be the main focus of the event so perhaps accessibility isn't super important, just my two cents.

• Like 2

As Steve said, the idea of golden games were nice and gave me incentive to clean up Rocket League but there were quite a few long games and newer games that came up that ended up either not worth it or most people not owning it. 

Maybe if the game got pulled from the PS+ catalogue so more people owned it or pulled from shorter games like Moving Out, Overcooked etc 

• Like 3

I like the idea of restructuring into teams for the sake of competitiveness, though I do think having individual seasons or fixtures would be fun (not really sure how that would look off the top of my head!).

I like the golden games format - but I didn't love the games chosen. I don't have the greatest internet connection and it took 3 days to download FFVI Remake 🤣 (the download kept failing and needed to be manually resumed). Obviously, this is more of a me problem than a THL problem, but I think announcing the golden games sooner would be a big help - and/or maybe having some criteria to determine the games. I'd already played both Minecraft and Rocket League and I don't think I'd want to add a game with unobtainables to my profile (though I see how this could be part of the challenge - sacrificing comp %age for points). 

Hope this is helpful! 

• Like 2

I know only current participants are asked, but I figured I share my two cents on this as well:

As for the league restructuring, I personally would say it's kinda unfair to use just one season as reference. Imagine someone worked hard for 3-4 seasons to rank up to gold or platinum and then had one weak season. If they'll end up on bronze because of that one season, that'll suck for them to be fair. I'd rather take the last 5 season into consideration and take the average score. I mean, we all know IRL can be busy sometimes..

The Golden Game idea was cool to watch so I hope to see it again next season. In my opinion, the x2 multiplier works fine as well. Only negative part, which was also mentioned by some participants, is that mostly new games were picked or very long games. I personally owned 1 of all these games (Rocket League) and had 100% on that one years ago so I couldn't use any games if I'd were participant except I'd buy them just for this event. If there's a way to optimize that so games are more accessible for everyone, this would be awesome. Maybe use games from PS+ extra catalogue or former PS+ essential games as most people here have at least PS+ extra as far as I know. I'm sure Cowbear had a database for these already so Froopy could fetch that data for this event. 

As I wrote on Discord as a funny comment, you could also add a Golden Raspberry. Every participant can choose one game per season that's usually blacklisted for being too short. Obviously, no shovelware for this, but there are some decent games that can be completed in less than 6 hours so everyone could use this once a season to boost some extra points. Maybe even use x0.5 multiplier for this one so it's not too heavy on points.

Just my two cents on all this tho. Regardless, I'm looking forward to be back in the next season no matter what are the exact details. It'll be fun again anyways. 😁

• Like 2

Personal thoughts

1. i feel like this is the right thing to do, despite me being in sliver and probably will be demoted back to Bronze. I feel like this is the best option because i feel like the league becoming competitive for everyone is a good idea as the league will always be entertaining to watch and won't be as lopsided as say a big scorer like @NuclearManager vs a low scoring like me which will prevent discouragement and promote trying your best to gain that last promotion place, also (probably because i have Autism) the final day in anything be it from football or baseball is absolutely fun to watch seeing how will and won't make promotion/playoff place, and who will and won't be relegated to the lower league plus upsets are fun :D .

1 hour ago, Gnillisch said:

As for the league restructuring, I personally would say it's kinda unfair to use just one season as reference. Imagine someone worked hard for 3-4 seasons to rank up to gold or platinum and then had one weak season. If they'll end up on bronze because of that one season, that'll suck for them to be fair. I'd rather take the last 5 season into consideration and take the average score. I mean, we all know IRL can be busy sometimes..

This is a fair point, and we should probably consider it BUT there are a lot of people in the league who haven't done 5 seasons yet so it would be putting them at a disadvantage. Unfortunately only looking at this season is probably the best path

2. The concept of golden games are fine as i think they add variety into the league, i didn't like the games it choose this season though because i didn't own most of them ;) , the only thing that might be bad is that it may advantageous to newer accounts as they would likely have less games played, but you could make the same argument and say that older accounts are advantaged because they have a huge backlog so the chance a game from their backlog is chosen is increased, also would like to be slightly more variety in the games as i noticed most of them was AAA games or big AA Games (robocop, Minecraft, rocket league etc) and i feel like there should be more indie representation to be honest but i guess you can't really fix this without changing the whole system.

3. Golden games are fine and it should keep the 2x multiplayer because why not, it's rewarding for the player to play the game so they shouldn't be decreased to 1.5x but they shouldn't be 3x worth as it would be slightly unfair against someone who has already completed the game or don't have access to it so 2x is just about right.

EDIT:

1 hour ago, Gnillisch said:

As I wrote on Discord as a funny comment, you could also add a Golden Raspberry. Every participant can choose one game per season that's usually blacklisted for being too short. Obviously, no shovelware for this, but there are some decent games that can be completed in less than 6 hours so everyone could use this once a season to boost some extra points. Maybe even use x0.5 multiplier for this one so it's not too heavy on points.

I forgot to add this at the end but this should be considered in my opinion 

EDIT 2: my dumb brain submitted another reply instead of editing the comment :shakefist:

Edited by serrated-banner9
casully forgets to edit the comment
  • Like 2