Have you ever played a game that you couldn't platinum?

RedDead3001

Street Fighter IV: I have spent some time over the years and actually get better and learned basic combos but my skill level is far away from being able to beat the harder trial stages on each character. A Game always feels impossible to plat for me.

Metal Gear Solid 2: I heard its hard but that wasnt the reason for me. Its more like the grind of 5 playthroughs and all dogtags and those 500 VR missions. Maybe i get back to it someday.

Overwatch: It has online trophies only which can be boosted. The problem here is that i actually enjoy this game to much and now im already level 360+. Most of the trophy hunters are between 50-80. The matchmaking is good so its hard to get paired cause of my rating/Level. You can do all by yourself but its far away from easy cause theres also luck involved.

Edited by KingTom95

Right now I have 2 games I'll never be able to Plat/100%, Wipeout and Sine Mora, Wipeout I can't even finish the arcade on normal let alone hard, been on the last cell for ages now, and Sine Mora is just too hard, can't do Arcade for the life of me, can't even finish the first level with 3 lives let alone the entire thing with just one...

Also have a couple of ones I think I might not be able to plat/100% on my list, but I've yet to play them so I don't even know if they're as hard as I imagine them to be, after all I did manage to Plat Catherine and that one scared me to hell before I did Plat it :P

Quite a few games actually and all for varying reasons:

Games I couldn't platinum because they were too hard

Street Fighter V

Up until the point I purchased this game, I fancied myself a capable trophy hunter who could platinum any game if they persisted long enough. This game brought me back down to Earth. It was the online trophies that killed the platinum for me. Get golden rank online against opponents that could whip my ass five ways to Sunday before I even register a hit on them. I didn't even make it out of bronze rank. Actually, the single player was hard too...clear survival mode on extreme difficulty by beating 100 opponents with a single health bar. Could barely beat normal difficulty.

Actually not platting this game was quite relieving as it made me realise that there are games out there that are too stressful to platinum. They take away the fun from the game. I enjoyed playing Street Fighter V while I had it. I am currently enjoying playing Marvel vs. Capcom 3 as well. My aim is to get an A rank on these games and just forget about the S rank.

Games I couldn't platinum because they were god awful

Metal Gear Solid V

It kills me to say it but MGS V was just an awful game. It started off so well....that prologue mission is one of the best moments in gaming for me. But it went downhill after that. The main story was located on tapes you found throughout the game. You had to invade the same bases over and over and over again. The boss fights were complete thrash. It took me 3 seconds to defeat the Man on Fire (Colonel Volgin). For a game renowned for epic boss battles, this was an utter disgrace. I turned the game off and gave it to a friend of mine shortly after in exchange for This War of Mine (great game btw). I've heard how the game ends and I'm glad I didn't waste any more time with it.

Legend of Kay

I saw a trailer for this game and thought it looked cool. It had a sort of Jak & Daxter, or Sly Cooper vibe to it. I knew it was a PS2 remaster but that didn't bother me. When I saw it was on sale I decided to pick it up. I've regretted it ever since. The awful, awful voice acting, terrible camera angles that made you fall to your death more often than not, terrible enemy AI and controls. It was a recipe for disaster.

Mafia 3

Another game that I just couldn't finish. I heard great things about the Mafia series and decided to pick it up. Unfortunately, the game was filled with terrible characters that I just couldn't relate to at all. I was playing the game on the hardest difficulty and I still found it ridiculously easy. And I'm still confused why they made this game open world if there is absolutely nothing to do in this open world. It was another game I couldn't bring myself to finish.

Games I couldn't platinum because I was burned out with it.

DMC: Devil May Cry

I got a loan of this from a friend of mine (actually the same friend I later gave MGS V to). I was really enjoying this game. Ok Dante was a complete turd in the game but the gameplay more than made up for it. Unfortunately I got burned out with the game. Rather than giving me the option of unlocking the hardest difficulty right away, I had to play through the game 3 times with each time playing the game on a harder difficulty. I had to do this for the main story as well as the DLC (which I didn't enjoy at all). I turned the game off and decided to play something else instead. I had planned on going back to it at a later date and getting the platinum but, sadly, my friend wanted the game back. I deleted the save file rather than save it to the cloud to make room on my PS4. I have regretted that since because the game often goes on sale for €5 or so. Worth it imo.

• Like 1

i just play the game not even thinking about the trophies now until i've finished the game,then if i've enjoyed myself alot go over the trophies again and see if the plat is achievable without being a grind.If its going to take too long ill just move on maybe come back if i feel like visiting it again. Games like Xcom 2 enjoyed the game but way too hard to plat for me, Aswell as the dark souls games.

Let's see:

Lost Planet 2 - played it on 360, then started it on PS3 knowing for a fact that I won't be able to get the #1 Nom de Guerre;

Gran Turismo 5 -  Gold Standard is impossible for a mediocre driver like me;

Dead or Alive 5 - I'm bad at fighting games... but I love them so I'll keep playing them;

Max Payne 3 - I haven't tried getting The Shadows Rushed Me so I guess this one doesn not count;

AC Brothergood - eventually just gave up on getting Abstergo Employee of the Month;

Speaking of the AC series: III, Rogue and Revelations can go to hell with their stupid 100% sync trophies;

Yakuza 4 - Ultimate Skill missions are out of my league;

Tales of Xillia 2 - I hate Spicy Chain title!

Edited by Merlarva

13 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

I have only recently begun hunting for platinums but one game I am determined to try over and over again if I need to is Lord of the Rings: War in the North on the PS3. It is hard to plat because it's glitchy up to the point where it is doable, but very hard to avoid the game save corrupting glitches. You need 3 playthroughs and if at some point it glitches you need to start from scratch. The furthest I got was to the end of the 2nd playthrough. It's such a fun game that I keep trying anyway. Who knows, maybe I will get it some day :)

This isn't known by too many people (probably just those that play this a ton) but the glitch that causes all the problems, losing your quests, can be avoided if you do this:

Turn on the game and load in.
Exit the game (don't turn it off, just go back to the main menu).
Load in again.

The first time you load a file (when you start up the game) it doesn't load all of the quests most of the time. The second load will take care of this 100% of the time (no idea why).

On topic: Nope. I don't have any game with a platinum that is particularly hard honestly. With enough time anyone can master any game, even if it isn't their strong suit.

• Like 1

Overwatch:

i just can't get my last couple of trophies in regular play, and the couple of gaming sessions i have joined failed miserably. 

Maybe someday soon i'll set up a gaming session with myself as the head honcho, try to keep it slightly more organized.

Edited by danceswithsloths

Oh yeah, loads of them! A lot of games that I like were either hard or take too long to plat, so I never bothered. Some games, I got but didn't like so I just played them for the story because I spent the money, but then traded them away.

For me, it's all or nothing. I either go for the Plat and 100%, or if I struggle with even just one trophy I won't bother with the rest and just get the story trophies. FFX is a great example, did the story of course but repeatedly failed at the chocobo race, so I did not bother with the rest like filling the sphere grid or beating Penance as I knew there was a road block to my plat. I'd rather move onto the next game and get the plat than waste time getting 90% of trophies in one game and no plat. 

Too Difficult for me, or where there was that one trophy I could not get

Disgaea 4 (300+ Hours of luck based and grindy trophies, no thanks. I never fully got my head around disgaea as it was quite complex)

FFX (Chocobo race, lightning dancer)

Kingdom Hearts series (I suck at KH, normal mode is a challenge for me so forget about proud/ critical and beating Cloud...., the gummi ships and Dalmatians are enough)

FFXV Episode Gladiolus (I could not beat Cor, so I did not bother getting the score attack trophies)

FFXV Episode Prompto (the time trials... I lost patience.)- although not a plat, I couldn't get 100% in either of the DLC episodes. I hope Ignis's one isn't too hard)

Hatsune Miku Diva F (I was bad at this and didn't really enjoy it to be honest so practicing to get good at it was out of the question really)

Mirror's Edge Catalyst 

Too long or tedious

Tales of Symphonia (150+ hours, 5 playthrough's needed with NO SCENE SKIP available!?)

Persona 4 Golden (too long and personally Persona games are not for me, I prefer more linear games where there is more guidance and what to do)

Disgaea D2

Didn't like so just did the story/ too boring

Tales of Zestiria (worst game I've played, at least it was only 500yen (~$5)

Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the new world (Hated the two main characters lovey dovey cheesiness that I never got past the first part of the game before giving up)

Games I plan to get for fun, but not attempt at the platinum

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (For obvious reasons... super hard. Being a ninties kid who loved and poured hours into this game, I still want to play it for the fun and nostalgia)

World of FF (I might try depending on my success at the mini games and  how much i enjoy the game as it's a long plat)

Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen - couldn't get platinum times on a lot of missions.

Street Fighter IV - the Trials were far too hard.  I've never been good at executing lengthy combos.

Super Street Fighter IV - see above.  Also, ranking up 35 characters to C (approx 700 ranked wins)?  Hell nah.

Injustice - Battle Mode had some ridiculous missions.  Plus, getting 3 stars on every last STAR Labs mission just wasn't gonna happen.  Nor was reaching level 100.  I could turbo my way there, but it'll take far too long and simply won't be worth it.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - the Extreme difficulty mode and the Variety Sniping missions where you have to protect a target are just insane.

Street Fighter X Tekken - I just cannot complete Missions 19 and 20.

Dead Or Alive 5 - 1000 online wins?!  Perform every single move for every single character?!  Nope.

Mortal Kombat - enough said. :P

So, it's mainly fighting games for me...

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever given up on a Platinum or 100% achievements on Steam on XBOX due to just not being able to complete a particular task. There are probably a few unfinished games that I would get stuck on but my low percentage is mostly due to lack of effort and lack of time to fully complete every game I buy. Some, like Titanfall 2, I thought I would never finish but eventually persevered through determination.

Refusing to play a game just because you can´t get the platinum is beyond absurd, maybe if you have OCD and you need your gamercard to show 100% game completion.

And yes, i'm also a trophy hunter and i have played many games which i can't get the platinum, reasons? Trials in fighting games, multiplayer trophies, difficulty related trophies, incredibly grindy trophies and needing extra peripherals in music games.

ULTIMATE MARVEL VS CAPCOM 3 - NO WAY I CAN COMPLETE ALL TRIALS

GUITAR HERO - LACK OF EXTRA INSTRUMENTS (AND PEOPLE), ALSO SOME SONGS MUST BE BEATEN IN EXPERT AND ARE REALLY REALLY HARD.

DEAD SPACE 2 - JUST NEED ONE TROPHY FOR THE PLATINUM, COMPLETING THE GAME ON HARDCORE DIFFICULTY, TRIED ONCE, NOT WORTH IT.

NINJA GAIDEN / METAL GEAR RISING - DIFFICULTY RELATED, I PREFER A PEACEFUL LIFE.

I just play games for fun, don´t care too much about trophies, but a shiny new plat is always welcome.

4 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Oh yeah, loads of them! A lot of games that I like were either hard or take too long to plat, so I never bothered. Some games, I got but didn't like so I just played them for the story because I spent the money, but then traded them away.

For me, it's all or nothing. I either go for the Plat and 100%, or if I struggle with even just one trophy I won't bother with the rest and just get the story trophies. FFX is a great example, did the story of course but repeatedly failed at the chocobo race, so I did not bother with the rest like filling the sphere grid or beating Penance as I knew there was a road block to my plat. I'd rather move onto the next game and get the plat than waste time getting 90% of trophies in one game and no plat. 

Too Difficult for me, or where there was that one trophy I could not get

Disgaea 4 (300+ Hours of luck based and grindy trophies, no thanks. I never fully got my head around disgaea as it was quite complex)

FFX (Chocobo race, lightning dancer)

Kingdom Hearts series (I suck at KH, normal mode is a challenge for me so forget about proud/ critical and beating Cloud...., the gummi ships and Dalmatians are enough)

FFXV Episode Gladiolus (I could not beat Cor, so I did not bother getting the score attack trophies)

FFXV Episode Prompto (the time trials... I lost patience.)- although not a plat, I couldn't get 100% in either of the DLC episodes. I hope Ignis's one isn't too hard)

Hatsune Miku Diva F (I was bad at this and didn't really enjoy it to be honest so practicing to get good at it was out of the question really)

Mirror's Edge Catalyst 

Too long or tedious

Tales of Symphonia (150+ hours, 5 playthrough's needed with NO SCENE SKIP available!?)

Persona 4 Golden (too long and personally Persona games are not for me, I prefer more linear games where there is more guidance and what to do)

Disgaea D2

Didn't like so just did the story/ too boring

Tales of Zestiria (worst game I've played, at least it was only 500yen (~$5)

Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the new world (Hated the two main characters lovey dovey cheesiness that I never got past the first part of the game before giving up)

Games I plan to get for fun, but not attempt at the platinum

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (For obvious reasons... super hard. Being a ninties kid who loved and poured hours into this game, I still want to play it for the fun and nostalgia)

World of FF (I might try depending on my success at the mini games and  how much i enjoy the game as it's a long plat)

how did you manage tales of vesperia? awesome btw, sounds like the 2nd or 3rd most efforted tales plat. of course symphonia being the ultimate. i'd like to really play vesperia but don't know any japanese, and i think i'd be beyond stressed following translation and trophy guides all at once.

i've platinum'd graces, hearts, and both xillia games. i'd love to with symphonia, i feel it out here and there but kinda stop cause i'm trying to follow 5 walkthroughs at once and get a bit stressed and worried if i've missed things. the kratos guide opened for 3 separate parts of it: the main walkthrough, side quest section, and title section. the affection guide, and a guide list of all the collectors items and missable listings. its kinda a lot of work. xD

i don't think i could bother with zestiria, christ i was so bored with it it took from february last year to december to even just finish the story. and i'm usually quick with long RPGs when i get into them.

Edited by RJP_X

I have never encountered  a game that I couldn't plat because it was too hard but if I had to choose one (for now at least because I plan to plat the game in the near future) it would be Street Fighter V. The online trophies seem to be really time consuming and frustrating so I am not going to play the game seriously until I have no other game to do.

There's a few plats I would absolutely love to have in my collection that I never will, sadly... Lol.

Rogue Legacy - I know with enough practice I could beat the remix bosses but I enjoy pushing higher NG+ levels more, so I'd rather put my time towards that.

Birth by Sleep - I just straight up refuse to dedicate time to Ice Cream Beat.

Witcher 3 - Much like BBS, I just flat out refuse to dedicate time to Gwent.

Grand Theft Auto 5 - The plat is such a grind that I find it hard to stay motivated. Not to mention, I loved the plot soooo much that when I start grinding out collectibles my mind just starts to wonder "why am I doing this and not replaying the campaign?". I've seriously beat the campaign about 11 times while trying to grind out the plat. GTAV is my white whale... 

Edited by KingGuy420

Not a platinum, but I don't think I'll ever be able to finish Trials Fusion 100%. A very good game indeed, and have already done a lot of hard trophies in that game. There are still some trophies that I can get that isn't  too bad, but some of the trophies are just ridiculous and requires a lot of skill and dedication

19 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

Quite a few games actually and all for varying reasons:

Games I couldn't platinum because they were too hard

Street Fighter V

Up until the point I purchased this game, I fancied myself a capable trophy hunter who could platinum any game if they persisted long enough. This game brought me back down to Earth. It was the online trophies that killed the platinum for me. Get golden rank online against opponents that could whip my ass five ways to Sunday before I even register a hit on them. I didn't even make it out of bronze rank. Actually, the single player was hard too...clear survival mode on extreme difficulty by beating 100 opponents with a single health bar. Could barely beat normal difficulty.

Actually not platting this game was quite relieving as it made me realise that there are games out there that are too stressful to platinum. They take away the fun from the game. I enjoyed playing Street Fighter V while I had it. I am currently enjoying playing Marvel vs. Capcom 3 as well. My aim is to get an A rank on these games and just forget about the S rank.

Games I couldn't platinum because they were god awful

Metal Gear Solid V

It kills me to say it but MGS V was just an awful game. It started off so well....that prologue mission is one of the best moments in gaming for me. But it went downhill after that. The main story was located on tapes you found throughout the game. You had to invade the same bases over and over and over again. The boss fights were complete thrash. It took me 3 seconds to defeat the Man on Fire (Colonel Volgin). For a game renowned for epic boss battles, this was an utter disgrace. I turned the game off and gave it to a friend of mine shortly after in exchange for This War of Mine (great game btw). I've heard how the game ends and I'm glad I didn't waste any more time with it.

Legend of Kay

I saw a trailer for this game and thought it looked cool. It had a sort of Jak & Daxter, or Sly Cooper vibe to it. I knew it was a PS2 remaster but that didn't bother me. When I saw it was on sale I decided to pick it up. I've regretted it ever since. The awful, awful voice acting, terrible camera angles that made you fall to your death more often than not, terrible enemy AI and controls. It was a recipe for disaster.

Mafia 3

Another game that I just couldn't finish. I heard great things about the Mafia series and decided to pick it up. Unfortunately, the game was filled with terrible characters that I just couldn't relate to at all. I was playing the game on the hardest difficulty and I still found it ridiculously easy. And I'm still confused why they made this game open world if there is absolutely nothing to do in this open world. It was another game I couldn't bring myself to finish.

Games I couldn't platinum because I was burned out with it.

DMC: Devil May Cry

I got a loan of this from a friend of mine (actually the same friend I later gave MGS V to). I was really enjoying this game. Ok Dante was a complete turd in the game but the gameplay more than made up for it. Unfortunately I got burned out with the game. Rather than giving me the option of unlocking the hardest difficulty right away, I had to play through the game 3 times with each time playing the game on a harder difficulty. I had to do this for the main story as well as the DLC (which I didn't enjoy at all). I turned the game off and decided to play something else instead. I had planned on going back to it at a later date and getting the platinum but, sadly, my friend wanted the game back. I deleted the save file rather than save it to the cloud to make room on my PS4. I have regretted that since because the game often goes on sale for €5 or so. Worth it imo.

lol my Legend of Kay is on shelf for the last 2 years waiting to be continued. The voice acting is just trash -- nearly as bad as Lego Batman 3

There's only 3 games i gave up getting all trophies so far (1 game excluded because of server closed)

Infamous: couldn't get into this... i was a melee fighter and all enemies were long range fighters...

Lost Planet 2: setting up a new record on an online world class leaderboard? Nope

Tekken Tag Tournament 2: never got higher than 12tth dan in ghost mode....