Gone Fishing

Which was Better: PS1 or PS2?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. PS1 or PS2

• PS1
    • PS2

1.jpg
I wasn't very knowledgeable about games as a kid so when I asked for a ps1 my parents got me this and had it sitting out under the tree. I took one look at it (unboxed with no cords or controllers out) and, having never heard of the slim, thought they had been duped by Tiger handhelds. I was preparing a fake smile so they wouldn't feel bad and everything. lol
I got FFVIII and Star Wars the Phantom Menace for it day 1. My favorite Sony console.

• Like 4

I say PS2 since you could also play PS1 games on it, but it was also a DVD player as well so it was sort of a all-in-one deal. All that was really needed was the Online service being better since I recall hearing that it wasn't that great and Xbox Live was a lot better.

• Like 2

The PS2 is my favorite console of all time. Not only could you play PS1 games on it, it had a DVD player. While I have a lot of memories with the PS1, I have even more memories with the PS2 because I was an older kid. I remember the games more. 

• Like 2

I don't understand how you could even debate this. You could play PS1 games on the PS2. That already makes it better, because it's both.

The PS2 is also the best-selling console of all time, and has many of the best games of all time. Many of which are still getting re-released to this day. Like Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Star Ocean Til the End of Time, Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life, Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry 3, and Odin Sphere. These are not only just games that have been ported (or are being ported) to the PS4, but it's also ones that I could think of off the top of my head.

The PS1 was influential, but not as much as the PS2. PS1 games also haven't really aged well, for the most part. There's only a small number of titles that don't feel super dated. Same can't be said for PS2 games, which is why we're getting so many PS2 HD ports. They're still good games that hold up well today.

Awesome! Finally a poll that will decide this once and for all, and not leave it entirely up to personal preference of the individual. Eat shit, people who think PS1 is better, you about to be schooled. And again, it's an internet poll, so you can't dispute it, it is FACT. Get over it. #DealWithIt

• Like 1

Both were wonderful but I would have to side with PS1. PS1:

-started everything that was to follow for Sony in video games

-shoved tons of crow down Nintendo's throat after they screwed Sony on platform development

- established Sony as THE premier video game platform, forcing Sega out of consoles and into software

-So many awesome titles debuted on the PS1 (FFVII, Resident Evil, King's Field [predecessor to Demon's Souls], Legacy of Kain, X Com, Tekken, Vagrant Story, New Japan Pro Wrestling, too many to keep listing . . .)

- With Ridge Racer, introduced the ability to play your own music CDs in game!

- So many reasons,  so much ❤

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

I don't understand how you could even debate this. You could play PS1 games on the PS2. That already makes it better, because it's both.

So the p3 is better than both of them, cause it can play games of 3 console generations and arcade ports? Therefore any new console is better than the one before.

Actually it would make the wii the best console of all time, due to it's virtual console.

I think it's wrong to assess the question on the possibilities of playing many different games. You have to place the consoles in its time and the effect it had on the players and the gaming industry.

You have to look at the technical advantages which were new for that time, games concepts which were new for that time, franchises and so on. Looking at consoles from a later time is just unfair to say which one is better. Like the ps2 was also groundbreaking, cause it could play DVDs, which was huge back then. But if I look at that feature now it's pretty much useless right? By your logic any console is better which feautures a Blu Ray Drive, Amazon Prime, Netflix and so on. 

Edited by Gommes_
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

So the p3 is better than both of them, cause it can play games of 3 console generations and arcade ports? Therefore any new console is better than the one before.

Actually it would make the wii the best console of all time, due to it's virtual console.

PS3 can't really be counted, because only a certain number of them were fully backwards compatible, not the system as a whole. Same with the Wii, only select games are on the virtual console, so it can't really count as having the entire libraries of other systems available.

55 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

PS3 can't really be counted, because only a certain number of them were fully backwards compatible, not the system as a whole. Same with the Wii, only select games are on the virtual console, so it can't really count as having the entire libraries of other systems available.

Not my point.

• Like 1

Chrono Cross

Vagrant Story

Final Fantasy IX

Mega Man Legends series

Dragon Quest VII

Symphony of the Night

Tomba series

Klonoa

Final Fantasy Tactics

Spyro series

MediEvil series

Ape Escape

Vs.

Dragon Quest VIII

ICO

Shadow of the Colossus

Ōkami

Ratchet & Clank series

Klonoa 2

Final Fantasy XII

Katamari Damacy series

Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

I’ll go with the original PlayStation. It’s weird that I was a SEGA Saturn and Nintendo 64 kid during its life, and then a GameCube and Xbox kid during PS2’s. PS1 had amazing exclusives during its generation where multi platform games were few and far between, while PS2 had great exclusives too just the worst versions multiplatforms across the board. Still like them both a lot though, I just have more and better memories attached to PS1 games and actually love early 3D low-poly.

• Like 1

Definently the PS2 era for me. I've always said that the PS2 days were the best days of gaming. Even to this day the PS2 is one of the best PlayStation of all time. 

I still love the PS2, even to this day. There's just something so nostalgic with the PS2, it holds a lot of great gaming moments and memories. 

Edited by Cryogenicide_X
  • Like 2

PS1. Apart from the massive and successful technological leap from 2D to 3D, the system also established dozens of important series, some still going today, as well as many of the gameplay mechanics that have been built upon for the last 20 years. We also have to take into account that all this was done by Sony, the newcomer at the time, in ways far more impressive than the PS2's success off the back of its predecessor. 

Honestly, I have fonder memories of PS2, which was my first console. In fact, I never even owned a PS1. But looking at each console based on what they offered and meant at the time, and their respective feats, PS1 is a clear winner to me. 

• Like 2

I'm going with the PS2 for this one.   PS1 got things started for Sony, while PS2 made some serious technical improvements.

16 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

PS1 games also haven't really aged well, for the most part. There's only a small number of titles that don't feel super dated.

Yeah, some PS1 3D games look a bit rough.  The first 2 Tekkens are like this.  Tekken 5 on PS2 holds up a bit better- the backgrounds are full 3D, character models look good with higher poly counts, stages can take damage, the shadows & lighting are better, etc.   2D games made for PS2 are helped by having more RAM (32 MB RAM, 4 MB VRAM) than the PS1 (2/1).  2D fighters that appeared on both systems have more animation frames on the PS2 versions.  The cuts needed to get an SNK or Capcom fighter onto PS1 were not needed to bring it to PS2.

• Like 1