How many platinums would you have if "trophy guides" never existed?

realm722

Let's say we lived in a horrific alternate reality where nobody was willing to make trophy guides and it was every man for himself in the Playstation trophy landscape.

How many platinums do you believe you would still have? Naturally you could still read the trophy descriptions to figure out what to do.

I personally would go from 80 platinums to easily 30ish - with the vast majority of those plats being sports games (just because I've played them forever and typically know everything I need to do in them at this point) 

• Like 4

Would we consider forum collaboration posts, being "guides"?

I'd probably go from 21 platinum trophies to 19 if we were talking, simply published guides

Not sure I can confidently say I'd discover all the "nices" in Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life or find every hidden survivor in the original Dead Rising.

If internet posts are also included, I'd probably end up with 15 platinum trophies.

What a horrible world would that be? ??

I wouldn't have as much Plats for sure. Besides some easy stuff like Telltale games i doubt i'd finish many others. Even in other easy games like those from Artifex Mundi i look at a guide to get at least the collectibles often. Reading trophy descriptions wouldn't help much as often they're hidden. But even if that'd not be the case, they're only partially useful (finish chapter 1/kill boss x, kill x amount of enemies etc.)

• Like 1

I don't think very many people would be able to platinum Disgaea without some kind of guide, so probably not those two. Possibly the collectibles in FFXIII since there isn't really an in-game tracker. So I'd say 19/22 I'd still have. I didn't use trophy guides for the rest of my platinums.

Although, game guides existed well before trophy guides. I had quite a few SNES guides back in the day. 

• Like 1

I would have about  28/38, mostly because of bugged/glitched trophies on some of my games that I would have just given up on without a guide to sort me through the issue. The collectables I am ok dealing with if I really enjoy the game - but if it bored me it's gone too -, the trophies/games that requiere obscure steps to get them exactly right would be gone as well.

Not to say I didn't hate collecting the shards in DA:I (twice) but I loved the game itself and it the in-game tools were enough to get me through...

Now Lone survivor endings, fuck that I would have gone through the game once and deleted it forever had a guide not been there to save me.

Probably lot less (I have 127). Pretty much every game with collectibles would be gone. I don't really care to look for collectibles if they don't add anything to the actual game and they often do not.

Most of my plats would be from Telltale Games and others like that.

• Like 1

I probably wouldn't have The Witcher 3... finding all the Gwent cards and knowing where to make a save in the DLC before the point of no return for the two endings are just two of many things I probably would not have figured out on my own.
Same thing for Fallout 4.
Other than that... hmmm ... most plats I have that don't fall in the "Telltale-easy" category are quite straight forward in their trophy descriptions (DOOM, Mortal Kombat, Battlefront 2, God of War etc.) and/or don't have that many missables. So I guess I'd probably have around five'ish less than I have now.
And since I only have 44 platinums, that means I'd have almost 12% less plats.

Edited by Sicho
typos
  • Like 1

Hard to say. I think of trophy guides as fail-safes, so I usually only resort to them when it comes to collectibles and missables. Not having them, though, would mean I'd shy away from games that I wouldn't feel comfortable playing blind. I also think we could take away Alice: Madness Returns because there's no way I would've found all of those collectibles on my own. I would know. I've played through that game too many times to count.

My guess is maybe...cut in half? Not so much because I wouldn't be able to do a lot of them, but because I'd be spending a lot more time on each game.

• Like 1

When you say guide, do you mean the trophy guides on this site or any sort of guide in general? 

Without the trophy guides on this site you can still you other Youtubers (PowerPyx) for collectibles and tips and tricks from the internet.

If you are talking ALL guides or any form of reference material i would think everyone's platinum count would be decimated. 

I feel like when there is a game with collectibles I need to use a guide, even though I haven't bothered searching for them on my own at all. Gameplay could increase by the hours without using some sort of guide to find them. Especially games that have 100+ things to find. I just don't like walking around aimlessly not knowing what I'm looking for let alone where it is. 

Another thing I like guides for is following a certain path for something or routine/pattern to do a specific trick or skill that I can't do myself. Whether it be my limited creativity or not knowing how to do certain things in a game that a tutorial didn't show me how to do. 

4 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Take away all the ones with 100+ collectibles for me them . . . aka Uncharted games

Mostly this...and ones with really weird/specific requirements that you may not do or come across during a normal play through.

I'd definitely lose my RDR2, and Uncharted 1-3 (remasters) and Lost legacy. 

• Like 1

I think I would still be around 100 (currently 157), there's definitely some that would've been near-impossible without a guide though. Take what I'm working on now (Tokyo Xanadu eX+), there's so many missable things you have to collect to fill out info on each character, there's no chance of me finding all that stuff on my own, I'm actually having to follow a whole walkthrough for it (let alone a trophy guide) ?

So I think you could void all my platinums that have either really vague trophy descriptions, or a lot of hidden/missable requirements. :hmm:

Are collectibles videos included? Because if so  I'm extremely fucked, and can only think of games I mastered when I was young (dmc, ff, kh, tekken etc) or linear games like Furi, Mortal Kombat X  and others where you pretty much understand everything from the trophy's description.

But finding 100 treasures in Uncharted? Hahaha, no.

My time is so limited that it's a hard balance between having the satisfaction of solving something myself that might take hours or having the solution immediately. It's having that solution immediately that can take the edge off a game so I try to only look at guide as and when I need to.

Unfortunately I've probably looked at a guide for every game I own at some point, without them I don't know if I'd have had the tenacity to keep pushing on.

I had Borderlands on my previous account and it would've been my 10th platinum. I cleared every trophy except "You're on a Boat!" because I was stuck on that one, and I said to myself, if I can't deal with it on my own then that platinum is not mine to have. So it wasn't. And I intend to steer clear of guides in the future as well, I'm perfectly fine with A ranks (or B's).