Announcing the Play At Home Initiative

Aranea Highwind

Already got a ton of games to stay at home and play. Obviously this isnt catered to me but casuals that play 1-2 games a year...Anyone whose a "gamer" should have played or own these two games already that we don't really need free games. Or at least games part of the plus lineup.

would be nice if discount codes saw the day of light again. 

not to complain but this really doesn't benefit anyone who has the selected games already. gotta think more on a broader scale. something more like maybe a one time code for a game of choice for x price maybe, or discount codes, or those one off ps store credits they use to do.

at least in the U.S, we haven't seen discount codes for about 2 years, while others got them like 2-3 times in the past year or something like that.

enjoy for those that are getting offered games for the first time though. 

• Like 3

I already have both from PS+ in the past, but maybe I'll finally give Journey a play now. This is obviously aimed at people maybe just starting out in gaming and the casuals who only have a couple of games, which is fine I guess. A shame though that BOTH have been on PS+ at some point though. Oh well, all good :)

I think they probably should have had 3 or 4 games,

one for PS4
one for PS3
one for Vita
and maybe one game for VR.

I mean I appreciate the initiative but not everyone stuck at home only has a PS4 and yeah like others have said, would have been more of a gesture if they included games there weren't already free PS plus before.

27 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I mean I appreciate the initiative but not everyone stuck at home only has a PS4 and yeah like others have said, would have been more of a gesture if they included games there weren't already free PS plus before.

We all know Sony prefers to pretend the Vita doesn't exist and the PS3 is dead and doesn't even get free games on PS+ anymore.  Providing a Vita game may also be looked at as defeating the purpose since Vita is a handheld and not meant as much for playing at home (though many still play theirs at home or have a PS TV).

Still, it is nice of Sony to provide them.  Like others said, some people may just be getting a PS4 and didn't own them.  Or there may be new plus subscribers who didn't get the games previously offered.  I find most of the suggestions people are giving hilarious though.  Sony needs permission from the dev/publisher of the games to give them away and a lot of the ones suggested barely get decent sales, there's no way they'd ever be given for free.  But for all that it is nice of Sony to provide free games, they really are falling short of pretty much every PC platform that has given away a bunch of games and had better sales.

I don't have PS Plus (and will never get it as I don't play online and have a huge backlog anyway) and will never say no to claiming these free games when they drop.  Granted, I'll never play these since I already played them on PS3, but here's hoping that this could be the start of Sony giving away some more games in the future.

Even though I already have Uncharted physical and one from Plus, I still appreciate the gesture. They didn't have to offer anything. Sure, discount/voucher/coupon might be better but with my current backlog, I can't complain I'm not getting more.

I personally know 3 people (and I don't really know that many gamers) who got PS4 just last month due to the current situation and they don't have Plus so there are people who will enjoy these titles being offered free of charge.

Edited by theSpirae

16 hours ago, dmland12 said:

It looks like this is aimed at newer players or more casual players than most of us.  There's got to be more people playing PS4 than there was a couple months ago due to what's happening in the world.  There's people getting into gaming that didn't really do much or any of it before.

So, for those people this is really awesome.  Maybe a few will stick around long-term and even get interested in collecting trophies.

Sure, offering these games does nothing for me personally, since I've already played these, have the Uncharted disc and Journey on PS+, but it's not always about me you know.

Funny that you say that casual/newer players dont have ps plus. I think it is the other way around. People who dont have ps plus are people who have common sense and BUY each game that they want. We dont need to have a backlog of 600 games that we aren't even gonna play. Ps plus is an anti consumer policy and it is a cancer that ruined ps4 community making multiplayer pay to play and dividing players. I've been playing videogames since psx era and I'm never gonna support something like ps plus, only paid one month subscription and I regret it. You dont get free games, you pay for them, you rent them, and you cant even choose which games are you renting every month. It is totally random, and of course multiplayer could of been free if people refused to pay for ps plus

• Like 1

Not sure how relevant that is but I've been gaming since Atari/Commodore, long before PSX.

I paid around $30 for 12 months Plus subscription and pre-paid for quite a few years. That gets me to $2.5 which is a pretty sweet deal, in my opinion. I don't always download/play the games offered, but for what I paid I sure get every year at least a few games I do play and enjoy. Especially games I don't think I would have bought it myself as I wasn't that much interested in them.

However, I do agree with you the multiplayer should stay free, without the necessity of having Plus service. It should be strictly for extra cloud storage/better discounts/monthly games.

Edited by theSpirae

https://www.yahoo.com/news/playstation-4-owners-getting-2-130310602.html

Directions for downloading free games contained in in the link above: "Both "Journey" and "Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection" are being offered for free to PlayStation 4 owners starting on April 15 and ending on May 5. You don't have to pay for anything, and the games are "yours to keep" after the games are redeemed through the PlayStation Store.

Sony's two game giveaway is approximately three weeks long, starting on April 15 at 8 pm PT and going through to May 5, 2020 at 8 pm PT. If you live anywhere in the world and have a PlayStation 4, you get two free games. In the vast majority of places, you get "Journey" and "Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection." If you're in Germany or China, the latter game is swapped for "Knack 2."

Edited by bigrake1