Ratalaika has published 72 games and many have received positive reviews from critics

usapro2017

3 hours ago, Sergen said:

The reason I say they’ve made a platinum meaningless is because in the past a platinum would require a good level of commitment to the game you were playing. You’d normally need to complete the story multiple times and on more than one difficulty setting, explore an entire map to get collectibles and almost do anything that had any in-game stat tracking. But a Ratalaika game can be done in 10 minutes without experiencing even half of the content the game offers. I don’t care what a Ratalaika player does with their time and money, that’s their choice. I rather admire Ratalaika for cashing in on the hype train and being able to get a lot of money out of people who want a piss easy plat. A long time ago people were happy to see a 5-10 hour platinum at a reasonable price, now it isn’t uncommon to see them take 5-10 minutes. 

If you selectively pick and choose which platinums you want to talk about then yes. If you look at reality there have always been easy platinums that don't require you to do everything in the game to get the platinum (or 100%).

Trophies have always been useless and only hold the value we give them personally. Earn trophies how you want. If other people having easy trophies bothers you then maybe you don't really like earning trophies to begin with and are just earning them in order to flex your e-peen and flop it around at other people to compare how better you are at video games. Problem is the vast majority of people who play games think any achievement system is stupid and for losers. And even of the minority who do care about such things, the amount of people that actually care about YOUR profile and earnings is waaaaaaay smaller. I know I don't care about your profile, or your standing on leaderboards. I just wish I could stop the leaderboard on my card from turning red since it's ugly.

How many times must we have this useless conversation? Oh no, now my picture I unlocked is worthless. Oh the horror, how will I validate my gamer cred now? I don't know, maybe just earn the trophies because you like to do it? Feel the accomplishment for yourself. I don't know.

But nah, let's endlessly talk about Ratalaika until we all die. I'm sure making them up to be some powerful demonic entity capable of toppling the magical trophy system that once brought peace and property to the world is a great use of time. It's not going to just give them and their games more exposure and greater sales. It'll totally make them fall away into obscurity. Afterall, if it's one thing leaderboard chasers care about it's the quality of their platinums in the eyes of randos on forums.

I really don't understand why anybody gives a shit about this. Just don't buy the games if you don't like them or don't earn the trophies if you think the platinums are lame. You have your own account and profile for a reason. How would Rando 423243323 having Barbie's Dream House platinum affect somebody else having a Super Meat Boy platinum?

Maybe stop thinking of all platinums as the same. Because they never have been. Anybody that follows trophies already knows which games are piss easy, and if we didn't it's easy to know based on rarity [more or less]. So just disregard those if you want when viewing someone else's profile, if you even bother to look at them.

• Like 2

It is perfectly fine if you like some of their games and coincidentially they have an easy platinum, nothing bad with that, but if you have all their stacks of all their games I really doubt that you are playing them just because "ThEy ArE gOoD gAmEs AnD yOu ArE jUsT aN eLiTiSt F***** oN a TrOpHy SiTe"

9 hours ago, Spaz said:

I've said it for a long time, trophy hunting for numbers is pointless.

Ultra Rare hunters are also pointless. There's always going to be someone better.

Sure, let’s just write off trophy hunting because there’s always going to be someone better than you.

You can feel as pointless as you want about it, but don’t be soo dogmatic.

I, and I’m sure many others, enjoy seeing our numbers go up regardless of the end goal. I personally don’t care about leaderboards that much.

It’s not the game quality necessarily, but the quality of the platinum that gives these games their reputations. The lists are designed to be extremely quick and easy, and in many cases I’ve heard you are not even required to fully complete the game.

I can understand if people have a Ratalaika game here and there on their list because it’s genuinely a game or genre they enjoyed. There are even a few that look appealing to me (ex. some of the retro platformers) and I’m a pretty vocal critic of Rata’s games! It’s really the people who buy every stack of Ratalaika games and and play them purely for effortless trophies who lose my respect quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abhinandhan22 said:

Perfectly put. I am not some leaderboard chaser but I usually grab 1 or 2 of these games when they are on sale and reward myself with a super easy plat from time to time(especially after doing a game thats 100-200hrs+)

So you reward your hard reward with an easier reward to reward yourself?

I am sorry, but this logic seems flawed to me. Is there any other hobby, where people do this? 

Anyway, they (RG) built their "empire" on shady business tactics, so its no surprise, that many people skip those "quality" games. Why should I even bother to check them out, when there is probably always a better game in its genre, devoloped by people, who actually care.

Would love to hear from you guys 5 games from RG, that actually are good. I'll check them out and see what all the fuzz is about.

19 minutes ago, Mori said:

So you reward your hard reward with an easier reward to reward yourself?

I am sorry, but this logic seems flawed to me. Is there any other hobby, where people do this? 

Anyway, they (RG) built their "empire" on shady business tactics, so its no surprise, that many people skip those "quality" games. Why should I even bother to check them out, when there is probably always a better game in its genre, devoloped by people, who actually care.

Would love to hear from you guys 5 games from RG, that actually are good. I'll check them out and see what all the fuzz is about.

Its just like sometimes when I finish a long plat, I dont feel like starting a proper game immediately afterwards. So sometimes i play a game with a super easy plat to unwind while listening to podcasts.  I always get them on sale and have a rule of not spending more than 3-4 dollars on one of them so it doesn't feel like i am wasting money either. Anyways out of the few i have played, I enjoyed one night stand(which i actually got cuz Colin from sacred symbols recommended it and he hates RG cuz of their super simple trophies. That was decent and I enjoyed 36 fragments of midnight as well. 

Also Edit: I think people who look down on lists with RG should also add glitch plats like JAK,conan exiles, sims 4 to be consistent. In fact any plat that can be achieved under 2 hrs is pretty much on the same level to me. 

Edited by abhinandhan22

1 hour ago, Jelly Soup said:

Still say people are overthinking this whole thing. Spam games exist, it's a business model and it has it's customers. That's not likely to change any time soon. You can either accept it participate/ignore it or get all worked up. I know a lot of people around these parts hate this line, but, people are going to play what they like.

Now, call me when Ratalaika bundles all there games into one $5 box, like you'd find on Steam. Then I might agree with it being a problem.

Fixed it for you.

1 hour ago, SpaceCoresDad said:

I really don't like what they do with trophy lists though. It's just poor design. When you get the 100% for a game, in my opinion, you should be pretty much 100% done with the game. A lot of these lists you don't even need to beat the game to get the platinum, and that's just sad to me. Metagal and Super Weekend Mode, while not exactly GOTY material, more than likely deserve better than "beat three levels."

That's the complaint, not so much the games themselves. It's whoever is designing these trophy lists that's the problem. A lot of the games they published are literally 10 - 30 minute platinums, you don't even get to experience half of the content in the games before you earn all the trophies.

51 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Trophies have always been useless and only hold the value we give them personally. Earn trophies how you want. If other people having easy trophies bothers you then maybe you don't really like earning trophies to begin with and are just earning them in order to flex your e-peen and flop it around at other people to compare how better you are at video games. Problem is the vast majority of people who play games think any achievement system is stupid and for losers. And even of the minority who do care about such things, the amount of people that actually care about YOUR profile and earnings is waaaaaaay smaller. I know I don't care about your profile, or your standing on leaderboards. I just wish I could stop the leaderboard on my card from turning red since it's ugly.

MMORPGs did this long before trophies ever existed.

It was like me with gaining levels in Runescape. Earn levels how you want. Earn XP how you want. They're the same thing as trophies. And I did this back in 2002 - 2005 when trophies were just a twinkle in someone's eye.

Those achievements in World of Warcraft? Doesn't matter if someone explored the whole of Azeroth or bested the Lich King with a raid group. The thing is, the majority of people never cared about any of that stuff.

I like to think I'm one of the few who enjoys going after trophies because it gives me something to strive for. Or join the countless millions who just casually play through a game like Marvel's Spider-Man, finish the story, and never pick it up again. I've done more than plenty of that in the past.

38 minutes ago, RedSkyKing said:

Sure, let’s just write off trophy hunting because there’s always going to be someone better than you.

You can feel as pointless as you want about it, but don’t be soo dogmatic.

I, and I’m sure many others, enjoy seeing our numbers go up regardless of the end goal. I personally don’t care about leaderboards that much.

A little offended much?

Of course we enjoy seeing our numbers go up. What I'm saying is playing for numbers on the leaderboards is pointless. With 12 years of trophies, the people at the top are just too far ahead of everyone else. And they basically play hundreds of shitty games that they would never even consider to play in their lifetimes if they didn't have trophies attached to them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Spaz said:

A little offended much?

Of course we enjoy seeing our numbers go up. What I'm saying is playing for numbers on the leaderboards is pointless. With 12 years of trophies, the people at the top are just too far ahead of everyone else. And they basically play hundreds of shitty games that they would never even consider to play in their lifetimes if they didn't have trophies attached to them.

Ah, I see now. I saw pointless being used a lot and I guess I was too quick to jump you for that. My bad. ?

12 hours ago, usapro2017 said:

Twin Robots

Blasting Agent

Dustof Heli Rescue 2

I And Me  (Nintendo Life 8/10)

36 Fragments Of Midnight

Squareboy Vs Bullies

The Count Lucanor  (Nintendo Life 7/10)

The Long Reach  (PlayStation Universe 8/10)  

One More Dungeon

Peasant Knight  (Gaming Age A-)

League Of Evil

Mekorama

Midnight Deluxe  (Gaming Age A-)  (Gaming Trend 80/100)

Devious Dungeon  (Cubed3 7/10 Bronze Award)

InkSplosion

Super Destronaut DX  (PureNintendo 7/10)

STAY  (GamePitt 8/10)

TETRA's Escape  (Nintendo Life 7/10)

FullBlast  (GamePitt 7.5/10)

Jack N' Jill DX  (GamePitt 7.1/10)

Shadow Of Loot Box

I Am The Hero  (Cubed3 7/10 Bronze Award) 

Heroes Trials

Access Denied

Daggerhood  (SwitchEffect  3.5/5)

Metagal  (SquareXO 7.5/10)

Super Weekend Mode  (PlayStation Country 7/10)

Iron Snout

Zeroptian Invasion

Bird Game +

My Big Sister  (SwitchPlayer 3.5/5)

Devious Dungeon 2  (DemonVideoGame 7.5/10)

Back In 1995

Warlock's Tower (Cubed3 7/10 Bronze Award)  (PureNintendo 9/10)

Neon Junctions  (PlayStationCountry 7/10)

Cybarian  (SquareXO 8/10)

Attack Of The Toy Tanks

Paradox Soul

Bouncy Bullets  (PlayStation Country 7/10)

Mochi Mochi Boy  (Gaming Age A-)

Hoggy 2

Super Wiloo Demake  (Gaming Age A-)

Sagebrush  (Gaming Age A+)  (Cubed3 8/10 Silver Award)

Gravity Duck  (Nintendo Life 8/10)

Mekabolt

Legend Of The Skyfish  (DemonVideoGame 8/10)  (Gaming Age A)

Himno

DISTRAINT  (Gaming Trend 80/100)

Scheming Through The Zombie Apocalypse  (DemonVideoGame 7.5/10)

One Night Stand  (Gaming Age A-)  (NintendoWorldReport 8/10)

Super Box Land Demake

Just Ignore Them

Deep Space Rush

Delta Squad

Football Game

FoxyLand

Red Bow  (DemonVideoGame 9/10)

FoxyLand 2  (DemonVideoGame 7.5/10)

Milo's Quest  (DemonVideoGame 8/10)

Zero Zero Zero Zero  (DemonVideoGame 9/10)

Reed Remastered

Knightin +  (DemonVideoGame 7.5/10)

Ganbare! Super Strikers  (DemonVideoGame 8/10)  (BonusStage 8/10)

Syrup And The Ultimate Sweet  XboxTavern 8/10)

Super Destronaut Land Wars  (DemonVideoGame 7.5/10)

Thunder Paw

Duck Souls+  (DemonVideoGame 8/10)

Random Heroes Gold Edition

Rush Rover

Blind Men  (DemonVideoGame 8.5/10) 

Guard Duty  (AdventureGamers 3.5/5)

Gun Crazy

I admit I have never played a Ratalaika game because people on PSNP always describe all Ratalaika games as trash and that people only play them for easy Platinums. However I am surprised that many of these games have received positive reviews from critics.

Are people being narrow minded and automatically condemning all these games as garbage just because of the publisher involved?

I'm tempted to maybe give a couple a try for myself as most are on sale.

Thanks for this. Been looking for review scores on these games for ages. Ive played a couple of ratalaike games and i dont want to just plat them all for sake of it if they are rubbish. Even if its a half hour plat i wanna finish it knowing that it was a fun half hour. 

I would say go for it. The ones ive played are peasant knight, gravity duck and foxyland and were all really fun platformers. Dont let anyone else tell you there all garbage and shame you into not playing them. 

The plat on them is only half the levels on these games so if you enjoy them wht not finish all the levels. 

10 hours ago, djb5f said:

For their price point, full price of $4-5 and often on sale for $2, 30 minutes to an hour of playtime is fine and honestly you can usually play many more levels after the platinum.  And the few I have played (with the exception of Sagebrush), I have enjoyed.  Games like FullBlast, Super Destronaut DX, and Midnight Deluxe.  And I have a high percentage of ultra rare trophies so I don’t shy away from a challenge, 

The platinums come easier than they should but I certainly don’t fault anyone playing some of these, especially if you break up playing very long or difficult games.  Variety is the spice of life.  There is actually gameplay here unlike something like My Name is Mayo.

Where I think it goes too far is when people get 6 plats from a single game.  And I think they are paying for multiple copies from multiple regions?  Thirsty!

This 100%^^^^^

• Like 1

Given that the reputation of Ratalaika games is actually reasonably good (I wouldn't be against playing one in theory, just never have), I wonder if they might eventually 'risk' moving away from easy lists to shake off the reputation they have for producing said lists. It should surely be the likes of Mayo and Coffin Dodgers that produce threads like this, not the publishers of reasonably reviewed retro platformers. Possibly Ratalaika have never considered it.

Edited by JPageMartin36

I quite enjoyed both League of Evil and The Count Lucanor.

(also played 36 fragments of Midnight, but that one wasn't worth it, even though it was fine)

But i agree, they cheapen the entire trophy thing. As such, i actively avoid them for the most part, even if the game seems like a halfway decent/fun way to pass a couple of hours. But as always: if you actually like the game, then that's awesome!

Edited by FordPrefect61
forgetfulness

I've never even heard of most of the sites quoted in the opening post, so forgive me if I don't put much stock in what they say about these games, especially when Rat Games has been known to give people incentives to leave positive reviews/spread awareness in the past. I'm sure a few of these games are decent (highly doubt as good as some of these scores imply though), but that's bound to happen considering how many games from no-name developers this company publishes. I have no doubt that many of them are mediocre or just plain garbage too.

But the quality of the games themselves aren't important to the trophy hunting community and the people who say otherwise are kidding themselves. You're not really buying a game, you're buying platinum trophies. The amount of "fun" you had in the 10 minutes it took for you to get the plat is inconsequential. 

• Like 4

Don't know why people care what these so called elitists think. People put far too much thought into other people and their opinions. Play what you want to play, whether it's for trophies, fun, a challenge or all of these reasons. It's not hurting anyone and if it is then they should seek help as they have issues.

• Like 4

I dunno, I stopped reading this topic when a person came up with leaderboard hopping and dick enlargement.

I consider it sad, that people think like this about other people. I was not expecting seeing this shit now even on a website about trophies... Just, wow...

...How can people even be that superficial?

It is the same with the hate about this months PS+ games. Has anyone from the haters ever played Cities:Skylines or Farming Simulator in their life? People just look at it and call it garbage. I dunno, maybe it is just because my autism, but I LOVED Cities Skylines and hope they are going to dropt DLC9 soon. It is way better than Sim City could ever be... And Farming Simulator is a pretty relaxing game. Give it a try!

Anyway, this topic is about Rata games... So, what exactly do people hate about Rata games anyway? And have they ever played one? These I tried have actually been okay. And I was not even searching for Rata games specifically. I just picked some games without thinking too much about it and at some point while starting up a game I was like "Oh, another Rata game... haha". ...Sure, these games do not deserve platinums. But is that really the only problem you people have with Rata? "mimimi I have worked very hard to get my GTA4 platinum. It took years! And this kiddy who has no life got a free trash platinum in 15 minutes form a Rata game!! >:(" ...Is that your problem? Really? Why does it bother you so much where other people get their trophies from? What level of jealously is that? And why are people jelly anyway? It is a honest question, as said I am autistic and I do not really understand feelings or why other peoples mood seem to change completely random about irrational things. So, that guy is driving a Porsche, while you cannot even afford a Skoda? Good for him. Buy why would you hate him? It is not his fault that you cannot afford a Porsche. It is also not Porsches fault that you cannot afford a Porsche. ...See? So what actually is the problem here? I dunno, people are weird... Can someone explain jealously to me? It makes no sense at all. Why do people feel such a thing? What are they gaining from that?

However, I do not really care about the leaderboards. I am collecting trophies because I like trophies. They are fun to me. Every autistic person needs to collect something. And I decided to go for PlayStation trophies. Where these trophies actually come from is not that important to me, but that does not mean that I am going to play "trash" games for the rest of my life now. As long we do not go to the level Steam is at, that has "games" that give you five achievements for a single click, I am completely fine with my "trophy whoring". Please tell me, how that is me trying to make my dick bigger. Especially because I always wanted - Well, I stopped thinking about it with 26 - to be a girl anyway... I think that I would enjoy being a submissive maid. :3 <shrugs>

By the way... If you guys never have played a Rata game before.... Play "My Big Sister". That game was pretty good. Yes, really.

• Like 2

Ratalaika should start using cross-save and auto-pop trophies between regions like Sound Shapes, MotorStorm RC and Sly 4 did back in 2012.

Plat the game once, then auto-pop 5 or 7 plats depending on if the game has a JP stack or not.

That would be ''Pay for Trophies'' taken to the extreme.

Are you a trophy ''Hunter'' if you only unlock plats that are like shooting fish in a barrel?

Are you a ''Completionist'' if you skip one game in series because you can't 100% it?

(I've seen people with 100% profiles who played Uncharted 1-3 Remasters, skipped 4 but played The Lost Legacy)

What if the developers of Crypt of the Necrodancer and Super Meat Boy used Ratalaika to publish their game and those games got the 20min plat treatment.

Would they have been considered trash to if so?

10 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

The above quote makes it sound like you're attacking anyone with a 90%+ completion rate, but you have a 95% completion rate

My bad - I meant 90%+ completion rate for platinums specifically. The Mayo's and InkSplosion's of the world. Spider-Man is a 50%ish platinum rate. Not an account completion rate (though honestly a compulsion to have that at 100% which some accounts have CAN be unhealthy, I'm honestly thankful I played a few sports online games that have since had servers shutdown - so even if I desired that I couldn't achieve it) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StewartBros said:

Yes, some people are being narrow minded.  Some people think that any 1-2 hour platinum is rubbish, regardless of who published it.

A number of their games are on sale just now, at least in Europe.  Bite the bullet and nab one or two of them, and see for yourself.  The only RL game that I personally have played is Midnight Deluxe, which I didn't mind at all.

Honestly ratalaika games are meant to be short fun completions. If you only ever bought a game because psnp forums slam it, the trophy lists easy or it takes under 6 hours to plat then you'd miss out on some great games. As an example I'll use resident evil 3 remake is it good, yeah is the trophy list easy kinda yeah is it worth the 50-60 bucks price tag I'd say no as the games only about 4 hours long and be platinumes in under 6 hours

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DieHardDavidN said:

I’m tempted to try Distraint, Red Bow, My Big Sister and Just Ignore Them as I enjoy horror/adventure games.

Don’t really care if people call me a trophy whore if I have those games on my profile.

I can recommend My Big Sister. It is one that you actually have to complete the game to get the Plat. I enjoyed my time with it and bought Just Ignore Them and Red Bow because of My Big Sister.

• Like 2

They get all the hate because they deflated the value of a platinum, and lets not forget how games would generally only have 1 trophy list to now having 6 seperate trophy lists, you can argue that yes sound shapes started that whole ordeal but no other publisher took that idea and ran as far as they could with it than Ratalaika games has

• Like 2