PS5 Games - $69.99

DEI2EK

56 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

This'll be MSRP for AAA PS5 games.

And even if they are $70, they're still cheaper than SNES games when they were new considering inflation.

It's never been a cheaper time to be a gamer!

I agree, espacially the Price drops very fast. I remember the old times, I waited for years that Grandia 1 become cheaper. After years of waiting I could buy it for 30 Euro (or 30 Mark, I don't remember). Now we gamer live in a paradise, all games become cheap very very fast.

Edited by Sikutai

6 minutes ago, talespagni said:

IMO, the main problem is not the game's price going up, as eventually, if you aren't buying in the release, they will go down in time.

The main problem is shoving down season passes/DLCs/etc which cost a lot of money for what they offer. 5 years ago a SP went up for 15 dollars, now there are multiple games with SP with 30, 40, even 50 dollars... even with a huge discount, they don't offer a good cost/benefit.

More and more they take huge chunks of a game and offer it as SP/DLC/etc. Even indie games with a campaign with less than 10 hours are doing this.

$110-$120 bucks for the next Assassin's Creed game and all the content

Fine with me. Some games are worth more than $60, and there are plenty of sales to wait for if you would prefer a discount. Vote with your wallet. Sorry but gaming can be an expensive hobby but still represents value considering how long games can last

Edited by g-bake_1986
  • Like 3

I would much rather they stop the constant sales of games instead of up the base price. (coming from a person whose last game bought for over $20 was Borderlands Pre-Sequel at black Friday after launch :P) But it's much more sustainable in the long run if you stop the expectation that games will go on sale two/three months down the line anyway.

21 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Games cost more than ever to make these days (not talking about indie shovelware) with bigger teams and bigger salaries.

$59.99 in 2006 (PS3 release) is probably equivalent in buying power to $69.99 in 2020 (PS5 release) meaning it is really no more expensive today,

With my backlog and game prices being quickly reduced, I rarely buy games at launch anyway so not really impacted but I was surprised they were able to get launch prices down for so long.

$59.99 in 2006 is actually equivalent to about $76 in 2020, so it's a miracle that they've been able to keep prices this low considering the ever-increasing budgets. I was expecting prices to increase during the PS4 generation. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, talespagni said:

IMO, the main problem is not the game's price going up, as eventually, if you aren't buying in the release, they will go down in time.

The main problem is shoving down season passes/DLCs/etc which cost a lot of money for what they offer. 5 years ago a SP went up for 15 dollars, now there are multiple games with SP with 30, 40, even 50 dollars... even with a huge discount, they don't offer a good cost/benefit.

More and more they take huge chunks of a game and offer it as SP/DLC/etc. Even indie games with a campaign with less than 10 hours are doing this.

You're just listing the prices of some season passes but aren't commenting on what those passes offer content-wise.

Take the FallOut series as an example. They offered 5 DLC in FO3 all for 9.99 each.  That's a total of 49.95.

Now FallOut 4 had a season pass that was 29.99(before confirming the amount of content) then was increased to 49.99. That SP included $70.00 worth DLC. Half is it's building and the other half is story but it is a lot of content nonetheless.

Unfortunately, with the costs of development and marketing today, that's to be expected. I'm surprised the price isn't $79.99 MSRP.

The thing though is the price drops very quickly. Look at a game like Prey or Control or Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order. Less than 2 years later and all are less than $40 or go on sale frequently. Not to mention Sony's PlayStation Hits red labelled games being around $20.

• Like 2

i quit buying games new because they drop in price so fast and spending $60 for a game that i'll only play for a week adds up to way to much money. i'll do it for something like a new borderlands or something once a year. other then that its flash sales for me. flash sales have spoiled me so much that anything over $20 is to much for me. and even when its 20 i say hmmm i'll prob wait. although i'll prob get one game with the ps5 just because im not going to have a console with nothing on it. im a idiot for day 1 consoles. its so much better getting 5 old games on sale instead of 1 expensive game. and i hate trading my games in because i like collecting them so i have a giant shelf of games that just keep losing value over time lol

Edited by melodicmizery
  • Like 3

Not excited about a price spike but its about time. 

People just got to play and choose what they want to play a little more careful. Or wait for a sale. 

Can't wait till they announce Ps5 pricing!!!

21 minutes ago, talespagni said:

While it's true games cost more than before, and take a lot more time to produce than before too, it's also true their revenue is substancially greater than years ago.

Everybody knows the gaming industry has already surpassed the movie industry in terms of revenue.

You see and read many news per year saying that so and so company's market value has increased, while their overall sales and profit margins exceeded previous year's goals.

So, it's a very profitable business model based on those arguments above.

My point is, I don't buy this argument which says "the current model is unsustainable, we have to raise prices", etc.

Same applies to banks.

Well they aren't going to wait to lose money and then increase prices just to stay even. You don't want a company's profits or revenue to decrease. The point of all non-charities is to make as much profit as possible. They have business forecasts on costs, sales, budget, etc and then price their products accordingly.

Lower revenue/profit = bad

Higher revenue/profit = good

Edited by TJ_Solo

Honestly I think that's way too high for a single game, especially since most games can be cleared so quick nowadays... I don't care how "pretty" they make them, I can't think of many things I'll drop $70+ on. <_< I rarely ever buy games day 1 anymore though (except Disgaea), I always wait for a price drop or two first... So this just means I'll be waiting a little longer to get what I want (thankfully I have a huge ass backlog to occupy my time). :P

Edited by Masamune
  • Like 1

This is just America, though, right?

Can't wait to see how much they'll spike the european price too, 80  euros (92 dollars)  or 90 (103 dollars) only for the base game, maybe, with some luck the season pass will go to 50 euros instead of  40, and the online paywall to 70 instead of 60.

What a wonderful time, there never has been a cheaper time to buy games.

If I ever buy this bullshit console I'll just buy from the Indonesian or Turkish store for EU stacks.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

2 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'm curious how this will affect other territories. Here in the UK, game prices have already gone up this generation. From what I remember, AAA games last gen used to go for £39.99 at launch, but now it seems like £49.99 is the standard. I even see new games priced at £54.99 on occasion. That's already pushing it as far as I'm concerned, so I definitely wouldn't want to see it go higher any than that. I've mostly stopped purchasing AAA games at launch now because I rarely play them at launch anyway, and by the time I get around to it, the game has significantly dropped in price. Feels like a waste of money... These days I only buy a game at launch if I want to play it right away or if it's a niche Japanese game I want to support.

I would like to think the increase in price would mean we get less microtransactions in AAA games, but we all know publishers can't help themselves...

I mean, if you compare the british pound to USD or EUR in the last few years, it's been devaluing a lot. It's only fair that they'd adjust pricing, as they do with any other region that sees their coin value increase/decrease.

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

This'll be MSRP for AAA PS5 games.

And even if they are $70, they're still cheaper than SNES games when they were new considering inflation.

It's never been a cheaper time to be a gamer!

That's why I owned alot less as a kid. ?

That, and I depended on my parents to buy them for me. 

So this will likely mean a price of $89.99 CAD.