Games Like My Name is Mayo 2 Ruined The Value Of Platinums

Cloud_2049

1 minute ago, wolfstorm95 said:

$0.99 for a game with zero bugs, an enjoyable set of stories, and relaxed gameplay? I'm in.

You bet your ass I played My Name Is Mayo 2. Guess what? I enjoyed it too.

I don't know. The first one was cross-buy with the Vita, but this one isn't. 

I'll probably wait for a sale. Might be worth $.70, but no way it's worth $.99.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Objectively PlayStation trophies do not have value. You don’t have to deny reality dude. You can’t trade them for a car, or pay bills with them. Can’t even buy some gum with them. They’re digital pictures attached to a video game network’s account. They could be deleted tomorrow and no real value is lost.

Any value they hold is entirely subjective. Which is worthless to most people. Someone else having 40 ez 10 minute platinums doesn’t impact my enjoyment of getting the platinum in games I want to play and platinum. I do what I want, they do what they want, there is no interference.

Somebody having My Name is Mayo 2 on their profile doesn’t negate the time and tedium I went through to platinum Ni no Kuni, it doesn’t undo the years it took me to find the motivation to finish it. it doesn’t make my back to back Bayonetta platinums less special to me. It does literally nothing to me. My profile is for me, not you. 

Since you directly adressed me I will also respond to you and wonder why you didn't answer the 2 questions I had in the comment you quoted.

OF COURSE I know that objectively trophies have no value but by that logic nothing has. It doesn't matter if your favorite team lost the championship. It doesn't matter that your favorite band released a crappy album and it doesn't matter that the last season of Game of Thrones sucked. Even your private family pictures which were uploaded to a cloud and are now gone don't matter. It's just pictures. A bunch of 0s and 1s. No real value was lost huh? Are you also registered on letterboxd or IMDB and tell people that movies in general are bullshit and that they shouldn't care about all of it or do you actually engage in discussion?

Things like media or in general everything that has to do with entertainment only lives because of the people who give value to these things, especially if a community around it carries the same thought. And trophy hunting was always an elitist hobby to begin with, which exists because of other people who care as well. The hobby seperated "better" gamers from "normal" ones. The whole point was to achieve something besides just playing the game. Crazy Microsoft even called them Achievements. People share advices, encourage others, boost in sessions, write guides and talk about it on various forums. This has no value?! Better asked who decides what has value? Everything I've mentioned is tied to trophies and wouldn't exist without these digital pictures.

I don't have anything against My Name Is Mayo. Heck I even like the meme character and don't care if people play it. But stating that trophies are worthless and undermining a whole community who helped creating this hobby with that statement is rude and just plain ignorant! I care about this hobby and will gladly join every discussion who questions the nature of it and seriously have no idea why people like you are on these forums. Plus, the whole objectivity/subjectivity thing was never an aspect of OP or me. This whole forum is subjective (that's the nature of them) but ideas and thoughts are shared here. I f you only engage by saying it is pointless get out of here and let people discuss their hobby!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

If platinums didnt have value

then why the fuck did sony give me $10credit for every 10 platinums like 2 years ago

What’cha got for me trolls?

So Sony can sell more fast platinums games to trophy hunters like us? Its no different than buy 2 chickens and get the 3rd 50% off at supermarket.

If someone wants an easy plat, good on them. Have at it. Personally don't understand the appeal myself, so I just won't buy it. Easy as that. Why let what other people play dictate how you feel? Play what you enjoy and move on. Pursuing ranks on the leaderboards just turns gaming into a job rather than a hobby to enjoy at a certain point. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

If platinums didnt have value

then why the fuck did sony give me $10credit for every 10 platinums like 2 years ago

What’cha got for me trolls?

4 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Those were the day, my man. Those were the days...?

Seriously tho, I took such advantage of that system and probably racked up $100 in free psn cards ? 

41 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Dude - you don't need special credentials to shame a video game. I've deemed plenty of games "shameful", with only the expertise of playing them.

I do agree with this, though. It was my main objection to some of the ideas of a "rarity leaderboard". People act as if having 1 UR trophy and nothing else is preferable to having 500 UR trophies and a bunch of easy games. 

26 minutes ago, danceswithsloths said:

He doesn't need to be in the game industry to voice what he thinks about the game.

For the record, I am a QA tester, and I think the game is hot garbage, so does that make my opinion more valid than his? I don't think so. Nor does it make my opinion any more valid than yours. Disagree with his opinion if you want, but don't attempt to invalidate it based off of his career choice.

I do agree with you, at a certain point. But I do not agree if some random person says a game is "shameful", everyone will suddenly think that the game is such. You can't classify a game as "shameful", that's is just your personal opinion. Everyone has a different opinion and I'm sure there are people who enjoyed it.

Now, I'm not saying that it's a GOTY, but it's a fun 30-min clicking game, with funny interactions and references. A small game, like other hundreds of small games that are out there, so there's no point in "not considering" this a "game". On the other side, of course you can't compare it to a big gaming franchise. It's like comparing a 10-min Youtube video to a whole Game of Thrones season.

The real problem, is shaming people for playing the game, which in my opinion, is disgusting. That's exactly what that dude did up there in the comments.

On the other side, I agree that platinums "could" have different "values", unlocking a Mayo plat is not the same as unlocking a AC or BF plat.

But that would make trophies more complicated, there are many bronze/silver/gold trophies that are super hard, and others that are super easy.

So, I think everything should be as it is right now. In the end, a platinum is always a platinum, it's a matter of rarity.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, wolfstorm95 said:

$0.99 for a game with zero bugs, an enjoyable set of stories, and relaxed gameplay? I'm in.

You bet your ass I played My Name Is Mayo 2. Guess what? I enjoyed it too.

Great shout, I totally missed this when I played. Crazy they don’t have 100 mil + budget, yet somehow deliver a bug free game. What the hell are these AAA devs doing with their open world re skins?

• Like 2

On 11/18/2020 at 3:09 AM, PatinumNumemon said:

Why does anyone need a PS5 when you got MY NAME IS MAYO 2 ON PS4????? I can't wait to play this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Demon's Souls? TRASH! Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales? TRASH! Sackboy: A Big Adventure? TRASH! NONE of those games will EVER be as relevant as My Name Is Mayo 2!!! I honestly hope they release it on PS5 as well. Can you imagine the graphical increase and the ray tracing and all the other stuff on this game??? Already game of the decade. Calling it now.

You can actually get spiderman miles morales in ps4

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BloodyRutz said:

Right?! What was your favorite part? All the people dying from Covid-19 or the downfall of the global economy?

My stock in box stores and amazon has done nothing but rise since all the local competition was shut down. Been a great year for investing and having the income to buy games, such as Mayo 

Reading a lot of these posts, I think it is clear that trophies have value. For those that purchase games they wouldn't normally because they have easy plats, trophies have a monetary value. The lack of a resale or asset value does not negate the initial purchase.

I know the TC is referring to more of an accomplishment based value system, which is entirely subjective, but there are a lot of arguments in this topic that trophies can't be used to pay bills, etc. Maybe it is fair to say, at least monetarily, that an earned trophy is worthless, but an unearned trophy has value.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2020 at 10:57 AM, Cloud_2049 said:

What's the point of trying to compete against people when games like this exist?

Thats how competition works. If you want to be on top, you need to play fast platinum games, even the lame ones.
Or look for a ranking based in estimated difficulty points.

43 minutes ago, craig_obviously said:

He said "personally"...it is possible for a person to "personally" have a good year during a pandemic, a misanthrope might find this one of the greatest years ever

33 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

My stock in box stores and amazon has done nothing but rise since all the local competition was shut down. Been a great year for investing and having the income to buy games, such as Mayo 

It was intended mostly as a joke/sarcasm ? I'm also one of the lucky ones working in the industry with zero to none impact by the pandemic. I've bought Audi a few months ago, played a lot of games, and was able to catch up on a few projects... But saying it is one of the greatest years? Come on. The pandemic is impacting everybody in the long term.

But like I said. It was intended as a joke/sarcasm, don't want to derail this thread.

Edited by BloodyRutz

1 hour ago, craig_obviously said:

He said "personally"...it is possible for a person to "personally" have a good year during a pandemic, a misanthrope might find this one of the greatest years ever

Maybe he found the love of his life, finished his degree, found his dream job, won the lottery, who knows. Just because there are some bad things happening globally doesn't mean someone can't find happiness. 

• Like 1

I don't really think any of this really matters does it? Come on folks - trying to argue objectively over something that is completely subjective is just a waste of energy.

If you enjoy collecting trophies for any reason and see any level of value in them, that's just great. If you don't enjoy collecting trophies and don't see any value in them, that's just as great. Who gives a shite what other people think? Enjoy what you enjoy where this is concerned and don't slam others for having a differing opinion.

As for the response quoted below and the sheer level of critical thought that has gone into it...

28 minutes ago, bboysunny93 said:

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Cleanup
  • Like 1

I am in the process of grinding out mileage on WRC 6 at the moment. The road towards the final trophies will be a long and boring one. I think stacking clicker games is probably more value for your time and effort if you enjoy getting trophies.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb