Next Far Cry game to be a live-service project similar to Assassin’s Creed Infinity

ziggypossum

13 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

Don't these games far cry and Assassins Creed just continue to rake in the money though?  I thought I read someplace the last Assassins Creed was record sales or something.  For me I can't  do Ubisoft anymore.  Played too many good games at this point to play Far Cry and AC.   I'll still play the older AC games like Brotherhood or black flag haven't gotten around to them yet.

Yeah Valhalla sold like hot cakes. But what's worse is that a couple years ago Ubisoft said 50% of their total revenue comes from Microtransactions. Half...freaking HALF of their revenue! So it's no wonder they went this route...making these games MTX havens is going to make them bank.

I had hoped things would change after they sacked that one creep who basically homogenized all their games into one template but it looks like that had no effect after all. I'll play the remaining AC games in my backlog and maybe the remasters (Ezio trilogy and AC3, maybe get Chronicles) but I found Odyssey to be a slog by the time I finished it so I have no desire play Valhalla or anything else after it at this point. Far Cry 4 is the only FC game I have played and that is only because I got it for free. It was enjoyable but the sequels look to be the exact same game but in a new skin just following the same tired by the numbers spreadsheet game, so pass. Watchdogs had promise but it too has just become Ubisoft: The Game. Maybe one day they will be innovative again...

This is most likely going to be a map editor of sorts. Far Cry 6 was the first mainline entry since 1 to not include a map editor I believe. I didnt get 6 for that reason, i love the editor. My money is on its going to be a standalone Far Cry Arcade game. 

regardless its going to suck 

Skullahh.png

On 11/12/2021 at 2:27 PM, Eraezr said:

Eh, just vote with your wallet. Corporations tend to follow the money.

See the problem with this is, most live service games don't need to be a success to be profitable. It only takes a few hundred people to constantly buy MTX to make Ubisoft more money than a massively successful AAA single player game with no monetisation options.

Then there's always the chance they can make the next Destiny or GTA online to which point they'd never have to make another single player game ever again.

In all honesty I think this Far Cry could work if it's more like Fallout 76 (The way it is now, not at launch) and less like Anthem or what ever that Ghost Recon game was.

On 11/19/2021 at 0:48 AM, StewartBros said:

And I'm out.

I'll see the AC and Far Cry games through to Valhalla and 6 respectively, but after that, I'm done.

That’s exactly what I’m going to do with Assassins Creed as well. For however long Ubisoft is going to add DLC to Valhalla, it will probably be my final game with them. 

These massive corporations are really slipping up.

Edited by AJ_Radio

Yeah, unless they announced a new Rayman game by a miracle, I am pretty much done with Ubisoft for a while. They games become more and more tedious with the "quantity over quality" mentality. AC Odyssey killed my mood for AC games, FC6 killed my mood for FC games. The last fun game of theirs was Immortals (very surprisingly) which was really cool but the DLC went into a wrong direction. I only hope they won't milk Immortals to its own doom like they do with every other series of theirs.

Edited by SnowNinjaRaccoon

There's no real way to monetize Rayman and I reckon it has a much smaller fanbase in contrast to Watch Dogs, Far Cry or Assassin's Creed. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell got the same treatment.

Immortals is a new IP as far as I'm aware of. I hope they don't kill that off too soon.

• Like 1

On 21/11/2021 at 2:43 AM, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

Yeah, unless they announced a new Rayman game by a miracle, I am pretty much done with Ubisoft for a while. 

I suspect that if we were to have seen a new Rayman game, it would have been as an endless runner type game on iOS / Android, and would have been Ubisoft's answer to Mario Run, had that game made more of a splash.

However, given that platforming fans, (and the hand-drawn animation space within videogames,) has been very much the purview of the indie scene of late, I suspect there is little appetite within Ubisoft to try and compete there.

Damned shame, as both Origins and Legends were excellent games, and perhaps when the dust settles on this current drive towards 'GaS' the situation will change, but I'm not holding my breath at the moment. ?

As someone mentioned, this GaaS model will end up crashing sometime, as there are few games you can play and throw money at the same time, as the larger and more time consuming they become.

Seems this is another Ubisoft saga I will be skipping after 6. AC was the first with Valhalla, after playing Odyssey and its mediocre/good-enough at best add-on content.

Man so happy to see people say exactly what I'm feeling. I suspect I will be done with Ubisoft - after 6 years of playing only their games - after R6 Extraction. I joked that FC6 was their last single-player game and I might not be far off. I have zero interest in MMOs, battle royales, or almost exclusively multiplayer games like Siege and For Honor. I loved AC and Division and some of the one offs like Bridge Crew (and my wife loves Just Dance) but it seems every beloved franchise (AC, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, Division) is gonna get Hyper Scaped. No thanks. Just insane of Ubisoft.

4 hours ago, captainskyhawk said:

Can somebody please explain what gaas and live action games mean. 
Im pretty sure I’ve not come across those terms before.

Is it like need for speed which requires a constant online connection?

please excuse my ignorance, lol.

Games as a Service and Live Service are the same thing, just depends on what you prefer to use. But they're games like Avengers, Anthem, Destiny or Ghost Recon. Where you're typically getting part of a game at launch, and the rest is shelled out in regular intervals (usually there's a roadmap for content). Then you have things like cosmetics and new characters locked behind Microtransactions, some of them might even be pay to win at times. In Destiny's case you're constantly paying for new DLC that are important to keeping your experience fresh.

It's just a very predatory game model, designed for you to keep shelling out more and more money, and aimed at people who have the "fear of missing out". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Games as a Service and Live Service are the same thing, just depends on what you prefer to use. But they're games like Avengers, Anthem, Destiny or Ghost Recon. Where you're typically getting part of a game at launch, and the rest is shelled out in regular intervals (usually there's a roadmap for content). Then you have things like cosmetics and new characters locked behind Microtransactions, some of them might even be pay to win at times. In Destiny's case you're constantly paying for new DLC that are important to keeping your experience fresh.

It's just a very predatory game model, designed for you to keep shelling out more and more money, and aimed at people who have the "fear of missing out". 

Thanks for the explanation.

Its bad enough that some developers now want to push multiple season passes. They are getting way  too greedy, especially since 9 times out of 10 DLC is awful.