DecSim01

Opinions on "Easy" platinums.

236 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, awf9495 said:

I have plenty of easy plats, but I enjoy visual novels and Telltale games.

 

As for the sub-hour plats and stacks, waste of time and money for me, but who am I to say it is a waste of someone else's time and money?

 

I agree that these kinds of games and behaviors have certainly diluted the rankings if that is something you care about. I disagree that they have devalued trophies as that would imply they had some kind of value in the first place.

I don't think any of us would be on this site (or another one similar) to begin with if we didn't value trophies to some degree. If anything, these "easy" platinums have made hardcore plats/100% trophies more worthwhile to obtain for those not concerned with leaderboard rankings.

 

I've certainly had my share of these sub hour platinums, but moving forward I am only going to add games that I express legeimate interest in and trying to strike the balance of easy and hard games while not siding towards either extreme.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I go for an "easy" platinum as a buffer between more serious games. Not even mad, i mean I liked even My Name is Mayo because someone recommended it to me on pc randomly and I had a laugh about how dumb the premise is. Or Cat Quest. You may say whatever you wish about how easy that game is, can't deny that Cat Quest is a hella cute and fun game. 

All that matters to me is 1.to be fun and 2. To not be completed too fast and dethrone Hellblade as my fastest platinum. That game MUST STAY THERE. 

 

Stacking and autopopping (since apparently this is the main topic at hand) of those 5 minutes plats... Eh not really my thing. I mean whoever wishes to do it sure, for me games and plats will never go past that fun time I am having after finishing work and all the other life related stuff.  

 

It all depends on what your goal is and how well you can mind your own business when going for plats really xD At least that's my opinion. 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're laughable and shameful in large numbers.

A lot, a lot of games labeled as having "easy platinums" are not easy and are instead moderate, fair, fairly challenging, and any other appropriate term above the "easy" label.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the POWGI games mostly because I'm a nerd for word games. I still follow a guide to finish it as fast as possible. It's more of a pallette cleanser I guess. I don't care for those Rata games though I and Me was a decent puzzle game (I didn't know it was Rata until after I bought it lol). I certainly don't want to stack them. I am tempted to grab some "easier" plats just to pad my way to my #100 milestone. Its not as much fun looking through other people's lists when you see "oh wow this person has 400 platinums!" And then you see it's nothing but Rata stacks. But who really cares about what other people spend their time and money on. In terms of leaderboards I just want to see my numbers green.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whitelightnin683 said:

I don't think any of us would be on this site (or another one similar) to begin with if we didn't value trophies to some degree. If anything, these "easy" platinums have made hardcore plats/100% trophies more worthwhile to obtain for those not concerned with leaderboard rankings.

 

Depends on how we define value. No doubt I get some personal satisfaction from earning the plat on a game I enjoy, but no more so than, for example, unlocking the final blade in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or completing Fire Emblem: Awakening on lunatic/classic.  For me, it is more about experiencing everything I can in the games I love and while certainly not perfect or all-inclusive, trophies are a pretty good checklist in most cases.

Edited by awf9495
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bezenko said:

The stupid less than an hour games and their 4-5 stacks are a cancer to the trophy system. I can find profiles of 100+ games where I haven’t heard of a single game. I miss the days where Disney games and Terminator were considered trophy whoring. While it sucks, one positive result is that I now don’t give a shit about the amount of trophies or plats I earn, I will never play a game just for easy trophies again. Not that I was the worst sinner, but I did buy Terminator, .detuned and Frogger Returns back in the day.

 

The last years, I have only played games I really want or games with challenging/rare trophies. Quality over quantity every day.

 

Amen. 

 

Wish I took your method from the start.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like alotta easy plats do offer entertaining mini challenges like i am mayo clicking a shit load of times seeing how fast i can plat it or like Dig Dug which isnt that difficult but still gets me to rage a few times because i was almost there.... the reward definitely outweighs the work, although it is nice filler until you get to a milestone and really work towards a difficult game or cool trophy art so that it remains on your dashboard and not lost within the trophy log

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind easy games. I do mind the Ratalaika and all the stackable. The reason I moved away from PC achievements was that it all went downhill with spam games (sorta like Ratalaika but even worse). Games like Cat Quest or Donut County are fine but games that are solely made just for obtaining a plat in 30 minutes I hate. You will never find a my name is mayo type game on my list. I prefer quality titles. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No judgment here, play whatever makes you feel good. It’s definitely not cheating, if you’re fighting for a place on the leaderboards everyone should understand that it’s normal to play easy/short games to stay on top.

 

I enjoy playing PS Plus games 90% of the time (and GwG on Xbox). I’ve been ridiculed for doing so. But I couldn’t care less because I get to play genres or games I wouldn’t usually try out.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play what I want to play. If it's annoying to some people, it's not really my problem.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

I really don't even know if people who play Ratalaika and the like understand wtf they're playing. These are low quality FLASH games. This is what we used to play in school when we got bored in the computer lab, for free mind you (the games were infinitely better quality too).

 

Maybe ratgames serves as nostalgia :awesome:

Then again, the old famous "runescape" and the one were you are in a box gunning down zombies (called box head apperently?) were the jam in the computer lab :)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

They actually taint profiles. I've seen profiles have awesome plats like Max Payne 3 and then you see stacks of shovelware, it just looks horrible. You would literally have to pay me absurd amounts of money to make my profile look like shit with cringeworthy pay to plats, this is why so called "trophy hunters" mean nothing to me, let me look at your plats and I'll tell you how good of a trophy hunter you are (don't care if I sound arrogant).

 

I really don't even know if people who play Ratalaika and the like understand wtf they're playing. These are low quality FLASH games. This is what we used to play in school when we got bored in the computer lab, for free mind you (the games were infinitely better quality too). Younger people who started off playing mobile games and Fortnite probably don't even realize this. Imagine paying money for a shitty flash game. Even back in the ps3 days it was bad with the shitty games made for little kids people used to plat but even Hannah Montana: The Movie is infinitely more respectable than the current state of pay to plat.

 

And don't get me wrong I still mocked people who had that shit on their profile back in the day. Oh also let me mention the fact that nobody seems to care about. "Easy plats" devalued the trophy system so bad that Sony was forced to discontinue its trophy rewards service. So use this argument against the people telling you "Omg like how does this affect you sweetie it's my choice to play these games". Also, the leaderboards are fucked and are just bought and paid for, no skill involved (inb4 someone mentions the rarity one, nobody cares). 

 

Yeah it's been said before obviously but quality over quantity kids, remember you might be able to trick a few naive guys with your overinflated plat count, but you can't fool me, I'll check your profile and sniff you out 1f60f.png 1f44c.png

 

Funny you mention that.

 

There was a website called Miniclip back in 2004 - 2005 that a lot of middle school and high school kids went on to play at the computer lab. I recall a flash game where you could play as George W. Bush or John Kerry, this was during the 2004 US Presidential Elections. That just shows how long ago it was when we would play these games. Back before trophies even existed.

 

However I wouldn't mind you judging my profile, since I have my share of crap that I'm certainly not proud of. My account's biggest flaw is it doesn't have too many hard games at all.

 

About the kid thing, I'm older than a lot of you guys here at PSNProfiles. Been gaming since the early 1990s, before a number of you were even born. That kind of argument won't work on me.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎09‎.‎02‎.‎2019 at 8:29 PM, DecSim01 said:

 and I was wondering what other people thought of "easy" plats?

 

 

Answer: Easy Platinums are great.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, panikooooos said:

 

I really don't even know if people who play Ratalaika and the like understand wtf they're playing. These are low quality FLASH games. This is what we used to play in school when we got bored in the computer lab, for free mind you (the games were infinitely better quality too). 

How you like to hit into that highschool nostalgia of mine xD i gotta fully agree with you here, those FLASH games were way better, they were at least interesting. Wouldn't mind a stack of Pamplona bull chasing or Swords n Sandals if they were available lol,no matter how easy they are. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MorbidMercenary said:

I feel like alotta easy plats do offer entertaining mini challenges like i am mayo clicking a shit load of times seeing how fast i can plat it or like Dig Dug which isnt that difficult but still gets me to rage a few times because i was almost there.... the reward definitely outweighs the work, although it is nice filler until you get to a milestone and really work towards a difficult game or cool trophy art so that it remains on your dashboard and not lost within the trophy log

 

18 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I love easy plats. A fellow poster, looking at my profile, once said that my list was a collection of fast food, expensive taste and meat and potatoes. I think it's an apt analogy. You don't want fast food all the time, but it's nice every now and again. You likely can't afford expensive taste all the time (those UR plats cost energy!). But anyone can benefit from a nice, balanced trio of the three, and that's what I strive for.

 

(And yes, in case someone cares, I absolutely DO care about trophies. Yes, I play what I want, but a nontrivial part of the equation for any game is the set of trophies that it offers).

I 100% agree with you, I try to balance everything. I mostly play easy games between longer/harder games and milestones. I play what I want and if I feel like having an easy games trophy streak, why not lmao. I play all games length is irrelevant to me, I think a lot of people miss a lot of great games because they don't want to play short/easy games. Yeah I buy some games just for trophies but that's just for my own satisfaction, I love seeing a lot of trophies pop in a short amount of time, a lot of people find this a waste of time and money and I respect their opinion, do your thing and I'll do mine. I don't like when people judge others for having easy plats, if they enjoy going for them it's completly fine, it's their profile after all lol. Some people just don't have a lot of time for long games or they aren't that skilled enough to play other games. I've been very busy with school lately and I didn't have time for long/hard plats, I just didn't have energy and patience for that, so I decided to play a few easy games, like a few short plats a day and I felt better at the end because I got some trophies even tho I didn't have much time and games were actually very enjoyable. I love indie games and I love supporting indie devs. 

 

Trophy is a trophy if you put time and effort into earning it even if it took you just on 1 sec  lol, I don't think easy games devalue trophies/destroy leadrboards because you still need to play the game and earn them.

 

 

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Copanele said:

How you like to hit into that highschool nostalgia of mine xD i gotta fully agree with you here, those FLASH games were way better, they were at least interesting. Wouldn't mind a stack of Pamplona bull chasing or Swords n Sandals if they were available lol,no matter how easy they are. 

Swords n' Sandals was the shit. 👌 Still remember that intro like it was yesterday.

 

As long as the game is enjoyable and/or the story is captivating I don't give a damn about the rarity % (which isn't always a reliable indicator anyways) or difficulty. When I look at other people's profiles, I just filter out all the shovelware and shiny speshul UR's and look for titles that actually mean something to me. In essence, a 95% plat and a 0.60% plat has more or less the same value to me if I don't know anything about the games in question.

 

That said, I think multiple stacks of the same game is a bit stupid. But that's another topic I suppose.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I also don't get about the easy games is that you have a powerhouse like the PS4 at home and you play Mochi Mochi Boy, POWGI, Slyde and so on. Games that run on a calculator an offer nothing but a plat.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I designed my profile to have a 50:50 ratio between easy 50+% and non-easy <50% plat, so I'd say: easy platinums are not bad, but if majority of your platinums is common, you should work on something harder. Also buying games you are not interested in means you're less of a gamer and more a trophy hunter (OK - let's use term "trophy whore"). I like to go for a common platinum after I earn a harder plat to give myself a break and vice versa, common plat make me think "OK, now it's time to earn a harder/more time consuming plat".

 

But even "easy plat" can be sometimes more tedious that a plat in a game you enjoy and requires some effort. For example, platinums in POWGI/Pic-a-Pix games are very tedious even with a guide if you don't like this type of games and they're all common. They're just set of small puzzles which give you the same amount of thrill as crossword on the last page of newspaper. Ratalaika games are more of a "game" than them.

 

When I bought Trine 3 few years ago because of an easy plat, more than a game itself, I realized my mentality towards trophies changed and they're sometimes more important than me than a game itself, so I gave myself a border which I cannot pass. I also restict myself from not buying games from other region.

 

About leaderboard, I'd say it was worthless even before Lightwood games/Ratalaika Games/Sometimes You and the others came. Every platinum is different and without a points based on rarity/completion, it's still far from ideal. In PS3 era, you also could went high on leaderboard, it's just required more time and money spent than nowadays because there were no 15 minutes plats.

 

Even the PSNP isn't different: upcoming ribbon system (it's being made for almost half of a year and still isn't ready) values all common plats the same, so games like Sly 1 & 2, Spyro The Dragon, Trine 3 or Cat Quest are in the same tier as all 15-minutes plats and considered "worthless" (or not requiring effort, to call it more gentle) by this system. So why we should care about the plat system even if our site will introduce the automatic rule "every plat with over 50% rarity sucks"?

 

14 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

What I also don't get about the easy games is that you have a powerhouse like the PS4 at home and you play Mochi Mochi Boy, POWGI, Slyde and so on. Games that run on a calculator an offer nothing but a plat.

 

This first paragraph of your post can also be said about Super Meat Boy, Crypt of The Necrodancer, Downwell etc., which also looks bad in a technical way, yet grants you a great amount of fun and skill demanding platinum. On the other hand you have Spyro The Dragon, which looks gorgeous and hands you a easy common plat. Graphics is sometimes important, but should never be an estimation if the game is good or bad.

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was always a completionist, even before systems like the trophy one existed, so I only plat what I would normally play. I dont like these games that look like made in flash, or the ones I played as a kid on Super Nintendo. If someone likes this kind of game and decides to platinum, I dont see a problem, but if they only play this kind of game because they're very easy platinum and this makes their list looks stacked, I wouldnt complain, but I would never do something like this. 

What I think is worse are those people that have several platinums from the same game, with low completion times, usually on a row. I cant comprehend why someone would buy the same game several times just to have more trophies of the same game, but different people like different things. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

I designed my profile to have a 50:50 ratio between easy 50+% and non-easy <50% plat, so I'd say: easy platinums are not bad, but if majority of your platinums is common, you should work on something harder. Also buying games you are not interested in means you're less of a gamer and more a trophy hunter (OK - let's use term "trophy whore"). I like to go for a common platinum after I earn a harder plat to give myself a break and vice versa, common plat make me think "OK, now it's time to earn a harder/more time consuming plat".

 

Having less easy platinums is better. I fully understand the temptation to play an easier game as a break in between harder games, I've done that before.

 

I'd change that to a 50:50 ratio between easy 35+% & above, to stuff in the 25+% category & lower. Half of everything being common platinums just isn't all that great. I left 10 percent between 25 and 35. I actually found stuff that was a bit difficult at times despite having a higher rarity. Bloodborne is a good example. Other stuff was incredibly easy.

 

1 hour ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

But even "easy plat" can be sometimes more tedious that a plat in a game you enjoy and requires some effort. For example, platinums in POWGI/Pic-a-Pix games are very tedious even with a guide if you don't like this type of games and they're all common. They're just set of small puzzles which give you the same amount of thrill as crossword on the last page of newspaper. Ratalaika games are more of a "game" than them.

 

My Name is Mayo involves mashing the X button 10,000 times so you get the platinum. Energy Cycle was basically using an exploit and reading off a cheat sheet to get all the trophies in just 10 - 15 minutes.

 

To be fair, if I wanted to do crossword puzzles, I would just get an actual book, or just pick up a random newspaper and do crossword puzzles on there.

 

1 hour ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

When I bought Trine 3 few years ago because of an easy plat, more than a game itself, I realized my mentality towards trophies changed and they're sometimes more important than me than a game itself, so I gave myself a border which I cannot pass. I also restict myself from not buying games from other region.

 

Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power is generally criticized by people because it tried to be a real 3-D game that just didn't work. It's not as quick and easy as other games out there, since effort was actually put into the story and characters. Unlike most people I actually enjoy the Trine franchise, and I plan to do Trine 2: Complete Story & Trine 4: The Dark Prince in the near future.

 

1 hour ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

About leaderboard, I'd say it was worthless even before Lightwood games/Ratalaika Games/Sometimes You and the others came. Every platinum is different and without a points based on rarity/completion, it's still far from ideal. In PS3 era, you also could went high on leaderboard, it's just required more time and money spent than nowadays because there were no 15 minutes plats.

 

A lot of those top "trophy whores" probably can't do those hard games from the early PS3 days. The PS3/360 generation also had a lot of tacked on multiplayer with absolutely ridiculous requirements. Street Fighter IV, Battlefield: Bad Company 1, Mortal Kombat (2011), Crysis 2 are just a few examples of games that required a TON of multiplayer. Street Fighter was also extremely difficult, those trials have been the bane of countless trophy hunters. Played the fourth game on the 360, gave up because it was too hard for me.

 

In the PS3 era it was more impressive to see somebody at the top of the leaderboards. Today it's just spending thousands of dollars to buy the cheapest, most pathetic piece of shit shovelware that some hack probably threw together in his garage in one weekend. The leaderboards is just a waste of time at this point.

 

1 hour ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

Even the PSNP isn't different: upcoming ribbon system (it's being made for almost half of a year and still isn't ready) values all common plats the same, so games like Sly 1 & 2, Spyro The Dragon, Trine 3 or Cat Quest are in the same tier as all 15-minutes plats and considered "worthless" (or not requiring effort, to call it more gentle) by this system. So why we should care about the plat system even if our site will introduce the automatic rule "every plat with over 50% rarity sucks"?

 

I still think anything above 50 percent is worthless and makes the entire ribbon system pointless. If I was going to take the ribbon system seriously, then how about it issues out the occasional ribbon rewarded for completing a hard, difficult game?

 

I wouldn't even give out ribbons for the vast majority of uncommon rarity platinums. It's just the shit cherry on top of the shit icing of the cake.

 

1 hour ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

This first paragraph of your post can also be said about Super Meat Boy, Crypt of The Necrodancer, Downwell etc., which also looks bad in a technical way, yet grants you a great amount of fun and skill demanding platinum. On the other hand you have Spyro The Dragon, which looks gorgeous and hands you a easy common plat. Graphics is sometimes important, but should never be an estimation if the game is good or bad.

 

All of those games were done on a budget. But unlike the shovelware crap that gives out 10 - 11 gold trophies per platinum, those three games were designed well and challenge the player. Downwell is simplistic and has 1980s era graphics, but it plays smoothly and has a high learning curve, which has to be overcome to get the platinum trophy.

 

Spyro the Dragon on the other hand had a LOT MORE PEOPLE developing the game and multiple people worked on the graphics. The budget was much bigger than those three small budget indie games. I wouldn't call it AAA, far from it, but Spyro is a good representation of the AA game category. A good middle ground that isn't a multi million dollar budget title like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but doesn't have a shoestring budget like Undertale.

 

Graphics have nothing to do with the overall challenge a platinum trophy can represent.

Edited by Spaz
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.