patrickogorman19

3 hours ago, Fr_0zt said:

A plague tale: Innocence 

Control

Remnant: From the ashes 

Days Gone 

Metro Exodus 

Sniper Elite V2 remaster

Death Stranding, SW: JFO (maybe), Afterparty, Medievil, etc coming soon this year and still have to get KH3 and BL3 (maybe).  There were also many other great releases this year, so nope, gaming is still pretty good to me.  All you have to do is stay away from the evil 7 (EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Activision/ Blizzard, Take2, Konami and Epic) + and you'll be fine. 

??

I think we'll be fine if we just keep supporting good quality and well made games and keep our money away from half baked cash grabs.

I'm sure there are enough gamers with good taste actually spending money on quality games or we wouldn't be seeing such good games coming out as those that people have already listed on this thread.

• Like 1

His nickname ends with "19", he's probably born in 2000, nothing to worry so much about...

3 hours ago, mitch2161998 said:

Doom

November 22 this year

3 hours ago, Fr_0zt said:

A plague tale: Innocence 

Control

Remnant: From the ashes

Awesome too, forgot to mention that. Since you mentioned a digital only game, I add Blasphemous

Edited by tjoe1bkhjtqxm

4 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Looking only at AAA games is quite the narrow view. As long as there are still developers like Supergiant Games or Team Cherry....

That's incredibly subjective as well.  Personally I'm not a fan of what those studios make.  I agree that only considering AAA games is a narrow view, however imo I'm more optimistic looking at only AAA titles as once you throw in the plethora of indie crap, it only makes it worse.  While most these days are predictable and formulaic, AAA games at least normally offer a certain level of quality I often don't find in the alternatives.  Even when I do find it, it's usually nostalgia driving any positive feelings I might have for that game.  With that said, I think the industry as a whole has more or less stopped innovating, and is just competing for who can rake in the most cash by re-releasing clones of successful games over and over again (and yes, indie games are guilty of this too, perhaps even more so as they're usually cloning ancient concepts instead of newer ones simply because it's easier for them due to limited funds and resources).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

It will continue to go downhill as long as people still buy games from absolute shit companies like EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Blizzard Entertainment, Capcom, 2K games, Konami, Gearbox(those were just the worst I could think of right away) and worst of all Bethesda. They do what they do because it works, they can deliver half assed broken products and cramp them chock full with microtransactions to get that sweet whale and spoiled kid money boosting up their revenue by a hell of a lot because they don't lose anything of value by doing so, most people still buy their shit even if they wait a few weeks doing it. They get the best of all worlds, they can throw products out faster, cheaper, they have nearly the same customers and they can make many of these customers pay to deal with many of the roadblocks they themselve implemented, selling timesavers or quality of life improvements for horrendous prices on top of skins and progression, not even mentioning so many pre order and collectors editions you need a spreadsheet to even understand what you are dealing with there, sometimes even adding additional paid dlc that is not included in the games freaking season pass. Bethesda even wants to sell premium subscriptions for the most bashed disaster game in living memory now, so severe is their lack of respect for the dumb sheep that are still their customers, and I hope they shit on them even more because the people still playing Bethesda games really deserve it at this point.

The online outrage will not chance anything, they probably consider it good PR at this point and dry their tears with money bills because most of the people complaining about their newest disaster actually bought the game day 1 and will buy the next game day 1 as well. Only way things change is by seriously reducing the sales numbers for these companies, either not getting their games at all or when the itch really needs to get scratched then buying it physical used from another gamer who just wants to get rid of the shitty thing already, and then not paying for anything the game offers ever. The way I see it, companies are currently testing how freaking low their effort can be before they actually notice any downside of shitting on their customers, they wanna maximize their profit and sadly for us the customers of today are setting the bar so embarrassingly low that I expect the downwards spiral to continue for at least 2 more years before we hit true rock bottom.

Actually there might be another way things change radically, if government get involved and regulate this completely out of control monetizing bullshit, especially lootboxes. I am never a fan of governments meddling in such affairs to be honest, but if this shit gets any worse I honestly hope the government goes in and takes these companies asses dry because many of them do not even pay taxes anyway, yet still claim they need additional monetization to survive, as if that wasn't proven to be total bullshit several times in the past.

Uh... Capcom has been on a roll lately with RE2 Remake, Monster Hunter World, Devil May Cry 5 and MegaMan 11. So I don't see why the TC of this topic thinks the future of gaming looks bleak. This year was great in gaming.

• Like 2

I'm going to be honest, I'm not getting a PS5 until at least a year after it comes out, possibly longer (or not at all) if things don't improve. There are more than enough good games released across PS3, PS4, and PS Vita to keep me occupied for a very long time. I really don't have any concerns over missing any major AAA releases, especially the yearly releases, since a lot of them have been disappointing as of late. I refuse to spend any money on a game after I buy it, unless it's for a DLC expansion in a game I really like. I will still support games I do like, though, as long as I'm absolutely sure it's something that I might like.

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Either way, the only conclusion is: all years have good games :) 

Pretty much, sometimes people forget this is an art, and its not easy to make good art.

I’m actually surprised and thankful on how many good games release each year, and a lot of them are not triple A, some people should broad their horizons on what games they purchase if they think this or any year is bad.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

This is one of those narratives some gamers try to paint that I’ll never understand. Instead of focusing on the very few bad releases, open your eyes a bit and you’d see that there’s a ton of great games being released. I think those who say games now aren’t good simply don’t play enough games or have a very specific kind of game they look for. This year alone we got resident evil 2 remake, dmc 5, sekiro, a plague tale, bloodstained ritual, mortal kombat 11, metro exodus, monster hunter world, control, indivisible, outer worlds and probably more I’m not remembering at the moment which is a lot of great titles for one year. 

This.

This topic is ridiculous as hell, to be bold. Quality is the one thing that's not the issue.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

This.

This topic is ridiculous as hell, to be bold. Quality is the one thing that's not the issue.

Agreed. There's also Kingdom Hearts 3, Dragon Quest XI (PS4 version), Tales of Vesperia, and I think that's all the PS4 games I can think of for either this year or the ones before them, I think.

I'm really looking forward to Bandai games next year, DBZ Kakarot will hopefully turn out well!

But yeah new releases nowadays come with a ton of bugs... I was pretty surprised and happy that there were almost no bugs when playing through AA game Greedfall, shocked that such a big game was playable without errors. Then I realized that I probably shouldn't have to feel happy that a released game comes without errors... It should be the standard.

3 hours ago, tjoe1bkhjtqxm said:

What????? That stupid spider-dude compared to:

RE 2 Remake, Kingdom Hearts 3, Borderlands 3, Death Stranding, Code Vein, Days Gone, CTR, MediEvil, Greedfall, MK 11, Shenmue 3, Metro Exodus, Sekiro and Concrete Genie?

It's clear that you probably suffer of some traumatic childhood experience, since you compare a game about a super-hero to the games I've mentioned. Your mind is still stuck when you were a child watching cartoons on television alone

I'm definitely curious to know how are you LOL

I don't even like Spiderman I just mention because a lot of other people do. There are 3 games that I'm interested that have have been released this Cricket 19, wreckfest and Tropico 6. I might get the new need for speed if its any good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Helyx said:

Remember guys, you have the option to speak with your wallets. If you don't pre-order games, purchase tacked-on DLCs and gobble up micro-transactions, we may get better games.

only game i've pre-ordered or actually new 2019 game i've bough this year was borderlands 3, the rest didn't peak my interest whatsoever

4 minutes ago, KilledByMatty said:

only game i've pre-ordered or actually new 2019 game i've bough this year was borderlands 3, the rest didn't peak my interest whatsoever

Torchlight 2 piqued my interest this year, and it's the first game I've bought during it's initial release year in over 5 years.

14 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It’s peaks and troughs as always. 2017 was one of the greatest years for big games ever, rivaling 1998, so I can’t personally subscribe to the idea that it is a downward slope, I think there are just some years where more comes together than others. 

Pessimism always feels easier to find than optimism, but optimism is far more often proven right in hindsight.

plus, the year isn’t over yet :) 

You honestly can’t compare 2017 to 1998. 

1998 was a major breakthrough back when computer games were still considered stuff only geeks and people with a knowledge of computers would play. New IPs and revivals of franchises popped during 1998. It was not only a major year for gaming but also the year for technology. Bill Gates was still at the top of his game. 

2017 gave us Horizon Zero Dawn, a new Tom Clancy game, Middle Earth: Shadow of War, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Assassins Creed Origins, Tekken 7 and a few other alright AAA games. 2018 looked better to me in comparison because we got three PS4 exclusives that were highly sought after as well as several older games getting PS4 Pro patches, making them look better and run better. 

I don’t consider 2017 to be one of the biggest years in gaming ever. 2015 in my opinion was better. 

You’re also leaving out good competition. The PS3/360 era gave us a lot of good AAA and AA games that were worth playing in their own right. The PS3 and 360 had plenty of good exclusives. 

By 2017 PS4 has basically been on top on its own.

The Nintendo Switch has good games and they came out with good stuff in 2017. But they don’t and cannot possibly hope to compete. Their library mostly consists of Nintendo exclusives and indie titles, with very little of anything else. The console is vastly underpowered and having good third party games is easier said than done.

Xbox One has been a complete travesty. Phil Spencer and his team of idiots went the full on live service direction, giving up their exclusives that once meant something. There’s nothing on there you can’t get from Steam or Windows anyway. 

I just don’t think 2017 was one of the greatest years in gaming. Too many flaws and inconsistencies to even be compared to 1998. Times were a lot different back then, many of the practices we see now didn’t exist.

Oh and two months? That’s barely any time to consider when you get roughly 2 - 4 big games coming out at most.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1