The future of gaming is scary

patrickogorman19

25 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

Absolutely not!!

i quoted someone who said death stranding is a great game of 2019

death stranding doesnt release until november 8th...2 weeks into the future! Lol

Unless hes Doc Brown or Marty McFly, how does he know its even good?

It hasn’t been released yet. You can look at previews and assume judgement. 

Plus with people who are going to get early copies of the game for reviews or look at trophies like PowerPyx, you can already see if games are good or not before they’re officially released.

2 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

Absolutely not!!

i quoted someone who said death stranding is a great game of 2019

death stranding doesnt release until november 8th...2 weeks into the future! Lol

Unless hes Doc Brown or Marty McFly, how does he know its even good?

I didn't say "Death Stranding is a great game", just that 2019 has been a great year. Death Stranding being released (which does indeed exist...) only makes this year even better for me. I'm not even the first person who mentioned this game.

Yes it's still 2 weeks out but after everything shown so far and knowing Kojima's legacy, it's hard to imagine it being anything less than stellar.

Edited by SouIXReaper

13 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

That's incredibly subjective as well.  Personally I'm not a fan of what those studios make.  I agree that only considering AAA games is a narrow view, however imo I'm more optimistic looking at only AAA titles as once you throw in the plethora of indie crap, it only makes it worse.  While most these days are predictable and formulaic, AAA games at least normally offer a certain level of quality I often don't find in the alternatives.  Even when I do find it, it's usually nostalgia driving any positive feelings I might have for that game.  With that said, I think the industry as a whole has more or less stopped innovating, and is just competing for who can rake in the most cash by re-releasing clones of successful games over and over again (and yes, indie games are guilty of this too, perhaps even more so as they're usually cloning ancient concepts instead of newer ones simply because it's easier for them due to limited funds and resources).

Of course whether you like the products of specific studios or not is a completely subjective question. But the OP was discussing games having mediocre to negative reviews and being of low quality. And I don't think that stating that "the games those two studios (that I mentioned) developed are of high quality" is a subjective statement. The games might not appeal to you personally, but they are objectively seen of high quality, with a lot of work put into them. ?

I agree that the indie market is not entirely made of gold, you find a lot of crap, not only on steam but also on the PS store. Hell, probably the majority is crap! But I wouldn't go as far as stating that the industry doesn't innovate. There are plenty of unique games out there, both indie and AAA, that are surely inspired by previous games (as everything is) but still bring something new to the table.

To make a single example with one of the studios I mentioned in my previous post, look at Pyre from Supergiant Games... That game is half Visual Novel, half Fantasy Basketball, and indeed a very unique and innovative game. 

Not all indie studios deliver the same quality, is what I'm saying. There is a difference between Hyper Light Drifter or The Binding of Isaac and Little Adventures on the Prairie. And not a subjective one. 

And let's also try to imagine how amazing VR gaming will be! There are already some incredibly fun games (Beat Saber, for example), I can only hope that we'll keep seeing innovative games in VR as well. :)

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

I don't know... I always find myself with something to play.

It is true that several big companies are complete shit and have been tainted by the mobile gaming greed, but there are still plenty of good games to play.

From this year I didn't play that many games (Sekiro, DMC5 and Fire Emblem Three Houses, Bloodstained) but they've all been awesome. I will be playing Medievil and Luigi's Mansion 3 soon, so thats 2 more games that I know will be good.

From there I filled the holes with whatever I felt like playing and I'm still way behind on releases.

My only fear with the bs that's going on is that it will corrupt other companies due to how much money shit companies are making off from crappy half-assed games. It is already ruining Pokemon...

• Like 2

On 10/24/2019 at 7:29 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

It’s peaks and troughs as always. 2017 was one of the greatest years for big games ever, rivaling 1998, so I can’t personally subscribe to the idea that it is a downward slope, I think there are just some years where more comes together than others. 

Pessimism always feels easier to find than optimism, but optimism is far more often proven right in hindsight.

plus, the year isn’t over yet :) 

I agree with this. I'm not a huge fan of the new microtransaction turn, and despise subscriptions and the like, but these trends pass. Maybe the market will be culled over the next few years, but I don't think games are heading into the dumps or anything.

21 hours ago, STARLOVE said:

Indeed, I personally just love throwing my money at every game I find interesting without reading reviews so I can just judge it  myself! Said no financially responsible person ever

LOL. I've posted this so many times I can't even count. The message never sinks in.

• Like 1

I'm not that cynical of the AAA gaming scene but thinking about these issues did make me expand my palate to indies years ago. Some folks have stigma for them because such games are dismisses as...retro games made in the modern age or games for tablets. But I think titles like Transistor, Nine Parchment, Ruiner. . .heck even Trails of Cold Steel (when you look at Falcom's humble sizing and scope) offer a vastly superior experience to games that sell threefold than what they do. I'd sooner listen to Rean Schwarzer's cheesy speeches than play another hour of FFXV.

If you want creative and quality initiative to be strong in the industry, vote with your wallet. It doesn't even have to be indie. It could be games like Child of Light published by Ubisoft or Yakuza 0 by SEGA or Gravity Rush 2 by Sony. . .etcetera.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Pitiful troll thread.

2019 saw the release of awesome games, the problem is having cancer companies like EA, Bethesda, Activision Blizzard, Konami etc. still around.

This thread does smell of bait, but I’ll take it nonetheless. These threads focus way too much on the negative headline issues than on any positivity in gaming or the gaming community. Pretending like nothing positive happened this year in the community or gaming is a farce I will not agree occurred.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, majob said:

I remember people were thinking the end times were coming during the PS3 era. Nice to see the delusion continues on over a decade later

tbh, I was one of those doom-and-gloomers. The lack of collapse, however, has convinced me that video games, while they might have some recessions, will never have full-blown depressions.

• Like 1

On 24/10/2019 at 8:21 AM, patrickogorman19 said:

Triple A games has been going on downward slope in quality this year.  2019 is worst probably one of the worst years in gaming history seriously there hasn't been great games unlike last year you had a few decent games like GoW,RDR 2 and Spiderman. More games this year seam to be getting terrible reviews. Will games improve in the next 5 years because the way we this industry is heading games will be more broken than ever.

I mean 2020 is probably the best end gen ever, why do you expect all years in a generation to be top tier, 2019 is just fine if you dig deeper, if you focus on games like RDR GOW or spiderman that is so narrow minded. 

Also, you are juding a whole industry on the base of your personal tastes ? like wtf.

Edited by SKyZoX9
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 3:37 PM, Helyx said:

Remember guys, you have the option to speak with your wallets. If you don't pre-order games, purchase tacked-on DLCs and gobble up micro-transactions, we may get better games.

Hear hear.  I haven't pre-ordered a game since 2012's Twisted Metal.  I rarely do micro-transactions, and only buy DLC for games that I really like.

• Like 1

Not every year is going to be amazing.  Some years will be amazing and others will just be ok. This year was not bad but it wasn't as great as last year at all. I'm disappointed no Assassins Creed this year but hopefully the next one will be released on next gen. As for the future of AAA games, it's not "Scary".

The only 2 big titles this year were MW and Gears 5 (If you also game on Xbox). That's why you're saying that AAA games for the future is dying. You can't talk for the future of gaming based on one year. Just enjoy what you have and wait for more.

EDIT: How the hell did I forget about Borderlands 3? That's another fantastic game this year!

Edited by Eagle-RP
  • Like 1

While there's some distasteful practices, I'd say the overall health of the gaming industry is fine. 

2019 produced several critically acclaimed games. If you don't like them, it doesn't mean the future is scary.

Bloodstained : Ritual of the Night

Borderlands 3

Crash Team Racing

Days Gone

Devil May Cry 5

MediEvil

Onimusha Warlords Remaster

Resident Evil 2

Remnant: From the Ashes

Sekiro

All of these were large scale games, heavily advertised, and well received. There's plenty of digital-only indies that are really well done too.

• Like 3

I think 2019 opened everyone's eyes, even people who don't play video games, to some of the questionable decisions made by some really top level companies recently. Especially regarding loot boxes and micro transactions. Then you have companies like CD Project Red who are trying to do right by their customers. It's really the practices that are tainting some games but not every game/game company has those practices. I'd recommend supporting companies that you feel value you as a customer and stay away from those that try to extort you. The future can really only be scary if people keep giving money to companies that are just obviously taking advantage of their players.

In terms of the future, I think it can be bright. New hardware coming out should give devs more power to play with. Interested to see what they will do with it and what kind of games will be created.

It's just kinda unfortunate that some really good games in 2019 got overshadowed by all the PR going around. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 7:37 AM, Helyx said:

Remember guys, you have the option to speak with your wallets. If you don't pre-order games, purchase tacked-on DLCs and gobble up micro-transactions, we may get better games.

If I don't preorder I wont' save money, got Xenoblade X for Wii U for $20 on launch day for preordering it at the right time. Just don't be an idiot about what you preorder, it's not that hard. "omg this Bethesda game I preordered is broken beyond belief, I'm stunned!" "Wow, this always online service game has server problems on day 1. I'm stunned!"

The problem isn't preordering, it's people not learning from history.

4 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Also the transition to all digital. Don't forget that. :( 

I thought this was going to  be the subject of the thread. lol

That and the inability of studios to archive their shit properly is far more concerning to the future of video games. How many stupid service games have shut down and are no longer playable ever? What a waste of time for all involved. That history is lost. Nobody can play that whether good or bad ever again. How many stupid studios have lost their source code for their games?

It's ridiculous. Good games always come in fluctuations, it's not a new thing there are always years with fewer big AAA games. But there's always something worth playing.

I think one of the things I'm least worried about is the future of gaming. 

If the AAA games aren't your cup of tea, there will continue to be an abundance of indies breaking the mold that you can try out. They'll fill the market gap if AAA fails people.

Also, given the sheer plethora of games being released - you don't have to play the newest, latest, most modern games. Have you honestly played every worthwhile title between 2015 - 2019? Very doubtful. 

I am of the belief there will always be something enjoyable to play - it's up to you to find it!

• Like 1