Most pathetic way you have earned a trophy?

charxsetsuna

It depends on how you define the word "pathetic" in this context: if you mean stuff like rubber-banding your controller or using multiple ones, I've done my share of "pathetic" things to earn a trophy. Those that come to mind are rubber-banding the controller to walk for hours in FFXV so that Gladio would get to level 10 (couldn't be asked to do it normally), or doing the ENTIRE Portal 2 co-op solo with two controllers... Well I did it with other people on Steam so that doesn't constitute as pathetic, does it?

I guess I'm gonna have to do something like the former for FFIX since the 10k kills trophy is there, and some other trophies on that list aren't looking pretty good for a non-pathetic earning way, too.

Edited by KN_Kirai

Well, pathetic is a strange word. I have Mayo, I also have Sound Shapes autopop, but as they took little effort I wouldn't consider them as "pathetic" as wasting hours of my life grinding for some of my other trophies. Being a JRPG fan, some of my games have taken hundreds of hours, and I have played some games long after I've found them fun just because I've been so close to a plat. 

So, yeah, depends what you consider pathetic I guess. 

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

I did all of soulcalibur V spamming one Viola combo that broke most AI characters

I need that combo ?

Things that come to my mind:

Mafia 2: there was a dlc trophy "drive x miles", used a glitch. Drove through a window, endless free fall got me the trophy after a couple of days

Reel Steal: made several sessions to boost the mp trophies, nobody ever contacted me. So I borrowed a PS3 and played against myself to get the trophies (and of course after a week or so a couple of people wrote me, if I still need the trophies). 

Arkham Origins: walking in and out of a "capture the flag" thing for several hours to get the mp trophies.

My crimes are many.

I've used cloud saves on Diablo 3 and other games with hardcore permadeath modes. Did the speedrun physical-copy glitch on Uncharted 4. I once offered my little nieces and nephew a game of their choice if they'd finish Invizimals for me (they declined!). Rubberbanded my controller in FFXV to run in circles until Gladio leveled up his ability. Oh, and Helldivers glitched and give me its hardest trophy for free.

My philosophy is, trophies and those who make them are too often cheesy. Sometimes the right thing to do is cheese back.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Charizarzar said:

Using a rubber band for the driving trophy in Farming Simulator 15 cause even after it being the last thing left, I had so many miles to do it would’ve been tedium personified to do it naturally. Left it on all night and came back to find the tractor had tipped over into a river at some point. :(

There’s also a DLC trophy on LittleBigPlanet where you have to fire a certain amount of paintballs within something like 5 seconds. It seemed to be a little tricky for most people based on YouTube comments but it took me hours of attempts, and I only managed it by scraping my knuckles against R2 until they were raw.

So not the AFK money grinding for 8-10 hours a day for a week we did on GTA IV? ?

• Like 1

Well, the trophy to get 900 BTs for Star Ocean has so much pathos involved that it's hard to list all of the silly things I did. Needless to say, leaving the machine on and grinding kills/deaths/etc. AFK looks pretty good in comparison. Using an old broken controller with a stuck analog stick, coupled with pressing a button down with a rock so Sarah could jump 9999 times only scratches the surface. Consulting table after table to get certain damage numbers to appear just puts more piss icing on the shit cake.

Long story short, I could list a myriad reasons why, but I'll simply list this trophy:

39L89c744.png

Those who know, well, know.

• Like 4

Gem Smashers Vita has a glitch that if you run into it, you have to format your Vita to resolve it.  Yes, I got that glitch, and yes I formatted my Vita to get the plat.  You can remove the memory card so you don't lose any saves on it, but that does wipe all personal data and settings.

Little big planet karting was such a pain. No one was online to get the online trophies so I purchased a used copy from gamestop to boost with myself... didnt work as the servers were HORRIBLE. 

Then I heard that the European release of the game had more stable servers, so I returned the extra copy, used that money towards a psn card for the UK store and boosted the last online trophies by myself.

It's a lot of dedication for a trophy, but kinda pathetic lol

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Copanele said:

That trophy that involved defeating a Legendary Dragon in Skyrim requires first reaching to level 76 which kinda takes a while. You could grind some dumb skills for level up in a painful way or... 

1. With some illusion based equipment (find them on any mage if you don't want to bother with enchantment), raise your illusion level to 100 by casting muffle

2. Complete the master illusion quest from Winterhold to get the Harmony spell

3. Go in the middle of Whiterun, reset your illusion tree back to 15 and spam that shitty spell harmony on townsfolk. 

4. Pray that the amount of levels and lens flare around the city won't explode your console. 

It s the most awesome pathetic way to exploit a Bethesda game. 

I had a similar situation, but I exploited a crafting glitch where removing and reequiping enchanted alchemy equipment while making potions of fortify alchemy allowed me to make potions where I would be something ridiculous like potions are 10000% better.  Alchemy improves based on the cost of the potions that you are making which are based on the effects so eventually I was able to go from resetting my alchemy skill back to level 100 in 1 potion.  

Skyrim is a broken mess. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

That trophy that involved defeating a Legendary Dragon in Skyrim requires first reaching to level 76 which kinda takes a while. You could grind some dumb skills for level up in a painful way or... 

1. With some illusion based equipment (find them on any mage if you don't want to bother with enchantment), raise your illusion level to 100 by casting muffle

2. Complete the master illusion quest from Winterhold to get the Harmony spell

3. Go in the middle of Whiterun, reset your illusion tree back to 15 and spam that shitty spell harmony on townsfolk. 

4. Pray that the amount of levels and lens flare around the city won't explode your console. 

It s the most awesome pathetic way to exploit a Bethesda game. 

This absolutely has my attention. I'm going to try it myself.

7 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

This absolutely has my attention. I'm going to try it myself.

Don't forget to get equipment who give you "illusion spells cost x%less to cast" and mana regen. Harmony requires a huge mana bar and you need the lowered requirement percentage from equipment. 

This thread should truly be renamed into "most big brain moment in a videogame" 

• Like 1

Some stuff that comes to mind:

• Using a second controller for some games like Borderlands and Table Top Racing among others to get multiplayer trophies without playing online.
  • Boosting some trophies, particularly in Overwatch. Not my favorite way to earn trophies for sure. "Stand there and let me do some special stuff for my trophy, please."
  • Cheesing some bosses. Vanitas' Lingering Spirit and the Demon of Hatred both got cheesed for sure.
  • Abusing EXP walker in Kingdom Hearts. Equip EXP walker, rubber band the controller joysticks, go to work for 8+ hours, profit.
  • Save scumming the endings in Bloodborne. I've beaten the game way more times than 3 now so I don't feel too upset about it, but still.
  • Last, but certainly not least, the debug menus in the Jak games. I used debug to clean up the collectibles of both Jak 2 and Jak 3. I did everything else legit but I already 100%ed these games on PS2 so I didn't mind cleaning up using debug.
Edited by danceswithsloths