FF7 Remake Demo is live

2 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Anyone know if you need to be a Plus subscriber for the download? Friend in Germany says she keeps getting a message saying she can't download/purchase it because she didn't buy ps+. :dunno:

EDIT:

Nvm apparently you do.

While I am a plus subscriber, I don't see anything on the store indicating that's a requirement (usually there's yellow text indicating for Plus subscribers only). If your friend has an alt NA account, maybe try using the NA store to see if she can get it that way?

7 hours ago, zeit86geist said:

never played VII. so the important question for me is: do i play the remake or the og version for my first time experience with this game ?

well, no one here has played the full remake...sooo not sure how you expect an informed asnwer about that.

Why not try to the demo? You might be able to make up your own mind 

1 hour ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

While I am a plus subscriber, I don't see anything on the store indicating that's a requirement (usually there's yellow text indicating for Plus subscribers only). If your friend has an alt NA account, maybe try using the NA store to see if she can get it that way?

She doesn't and likely won't go through all of that. She sent photos of what her screens looked like and there is zero indication that you need to be subscribed but I saw other people with German accounts on Reddit saying the same thing. Wonder why it's like that?

6 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Anyone know if you need to be a Plus subscriber for the download? Friend in Germany says she keeps getting a message saying she can't download/purchase it because she didn't buy ps+. :dunno:

EDIT:

Nvm apparently you do.

Nah you don't.

Anyway i tried the demo and it's fantastic. However there's a huge difficulty increase from Easy/Classic to Standard lol. I used several potions on Standard and none on Classic.

Well, after playing the demo in both English and Japanese, I think it's safe to say I won't be going back to English in the full release, lol.

I gotta say though, I didn't think the combat would feel this good. Standard difficulty seems to be the way to go, the Guard Scorpion fight felt perfect.

The game just looks and sounds so stunning, and it runs really well on a standard PS4. I'm so ready for next month. If all goes well, this will be my :platinum: #100.

Looks great, sounds great but the combat is awful. It's a button bashes dream though. You can select classic mode to go turn based but it defaults to easy if you do... If it changes to turn based on hard mode then I'll get it but right now it's a no from me.

12 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I downloaded it today.

I'm streaming it this Thursday to make up for the Spyro 3 debacle that happened.

I expect it to take me an hour to possibly 2 hours because I'll get lost within 5 seconds and will have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

Should be fun. Maybe. I guess. ?

It's very hard to get lost in the demo

I finished the demo and while it certainly looks pretty I'm kind of wary about the combat. I can't really put it into details but it felt like I had to micromanage a bit too much because Barret wouldn't always attack the turrets even though they kept hitting me while I was focused on the ninja guys or Cloud would rush in during the scorpion fight as I was controlling Barret making him get hit too much. So I felt like a lot of the boss fight was opening the menu to use potions which is something that I didn't like about FFXV but as far as regular enemies go it wasn't bad.

It would be nice if there was like a tactical menu you could use so you could set your party to heal on occasion or something or you could tell them to attack specific targets while playing as someone else. I know you can sort of do this with by telling them to use special abilities on certain enemies but I'm referring to just telling them to focus on a specific enemy with regular attacks. If this was there, then I must not have picked up on it. Otherwise I feel like the combat will be like XV's where it just feels like you're micromanaging the whole party and having everyone chug potions every ten seconds. And if that's the case then I would dread how the Weapon fights would go.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

I finished the demo and while it certainly looks pretty I'm kind of wary about the combat. I can't really put it into details but it felt like I had to micromanage a bit too much because Barret wouldn't always attack the turrets even though they kept hitting me while I was focused on the ninja guys or Cloud would rush in during the scorpion fight as I was controlling Barret making him get hit too much. So I felt like a lot of the boss fight was opening the menu to use potions which is something that I didn't like about FFXV but as far as regular enemies go it wasn't bad.

It would be nice if there was like a tactical menu you could use so you could set your party to heal on occasion or something or you could tell them to attack specific targets while playing as someone else. I know you can sort of do this with by telling them to use special abilities on certain enemies but I'm referring to just telling them to focus on a specific enemy with regular attacks. If this was there, then I must not have picked up on it. Otherwise I feel like the combat will be like XV's where it just feels like you're micromanaging the whole party and having everyone chug potions every ten seconds. And if that's the case then I would dread how the Weapon fights would go.

I finished the demo earlier this day and I would like to say that although the cutscene and rendering look pretty nice, the combat is the only thing that I am worrying about.

As you said, at the end of the demo, where there are two ninja guards and two turrets, when I am controlling Cloud, I would like to let Barret focus on those two turrets since in the demo he is the only character that could do ranged attack. However, there is no tactical setting like the gambit system in FF12, so Barret keeps shooting those ninja guards and there's no way to stop those turrets unless I switch to Barret.

Besides, the dodge seems not as useful as the parry (or guard), since I can't tell if there are iframes in the system or not. When I tried to dodge missiles from the guard scorpion, no matter when I press the dodge button Cloud will always get hurt, and it seems that the safest way is to hold the R1 (parry button). The camera is hard to tell but sometimes could be horrible since it is too close to my character. My friend told me that I can adjust the camera distance but I haven't try it yet. The enemy-locking system could be annoying when using Cloud or Barret, especially when two or more enemies are right next to each other. I think that I also had similar issues in some KH games, that the system assumes the nearest enemy is the one that you should lock-on. Then with the auto-positioning while attacking, Cloud could randomly rush to any enemies that is right next to each other.

Using the ATB gauge to use items seems not that hard for me, and I would like to consider it more like a challenge.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

This was my problem with the demo, in that I barely made it out with all my potions used, no MP left, and no more Ethers. Cloud was suicidal unless I controlled him directly, but then Barrett just kind of sat there like a bump on a log. That was Normal mode last night. Today I replayed it on Classic mode, which lowers the difficulty, but also makes the characters auto-attack, auto-block, and auto-dodge. All you have to do then is issue commands to use spells, abilities, and items when your ATB is up. You can still take over at any point to attack and block directly if you feel like it. The combat was way less infuriating in Classic Mode.

Edited by damon8r351

No disrespect to anyone, but its interesting that people had trouble with the standard/normal difficulty setting.  I got through it without too much issue, and I typically suck at these things.  My biggest problem was that I kept pressing the wrong buttons between block, dodge and opening the command menu.  Leading to me getting hit excessively at times and generally lose my place because I'd dodge when I meant to block, and block when I mean to open the menu, etc.  Didn't feel very intuitive but I'm sure I'd get used to it eventually.

(Yeah, I ended up playing the demo.  Had some time tonight between errands and work.)

EDIT: My main concern, not necessarily demo related, is that I'm not going to be able to get over the inevitable "to be continued" we all know is coming at the end of the game.  Even had that feeling lingering over me through the demo.  Really wish we were getting the whole story, there's no way this ends in a really satisfying way and 50-100 hours of just Midgar is probably going to be a bit tiresome.

Edited by Dreakon13