[POLL] What type of trophy do you dislike the most?

Shenka

What type of trophy do you dislike the most?  

517 members have voted

1. 1. What type of trophy do you dislike the most?

• Collectible Trophies
    • Difficulty Trophies
    • Online Trophies
    • DLC Trophies
    • Speedrun Trophies
    • Grindy Trophies (Of any variety)

Choosing only one was tough.

I hate these the most:

- Difficulty: I am really not a fan of high difficulties and dragging myself through hard modes to the finish line is just exhausting to me. There are many players who only find high difficulty rewarding but that's not me. I am mostly playing games to have fun. And getting my ass kicked in just a few hits really isn't my idea of fun.

- Grind: There is little in games that is as bad as grinding endlessly for dozens and dozens of hours, especially when you have to spend more time grinding in a game then actually playing through it. Again games are about fun and entertainment for me. grinding is nothing but a dry, joyless chore. It has nothing to do with skill, challenge or entertainment. It's just mindless work that you want to get over with as quickly as possible. It's a waste of precious gaming time.

- Online: As much as I hate the above mentioned types of trophies, in the end I have to go with Online. Because I HATE playing online. I am a single player through and through (except for maybe co-op playing story modes on games). I hate depending on other players for my own game or needing to play against others, especially competetively. I am mostly a fan of cinematic story driven games and thus Multiplayer modes really are not my thing at all. So if a game forces me to play multiplayer to get platinum in a game designed for single player it is just infuriating because I just don't want to waste my time with something I really have no interest in or fun doing. I mean at least seperate online trophies from the base game trophies. I just got Uncharted 4 and was so annoyed to learn it has online trophies because Uncharted does not need a goddamn multiplayer. Naughty Dog pulled the same shit with the first Last of Us or Crystal Dynamics did it with Tomb Raider. But these are single player oriented cinematic games and they don't need no damn online modes. Thank god the trend goes away from that for cinematic single player games as Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, FF VII remake, Last of Us 2, God of War etc. have proven.

Also there is the fact that I usually don't have PS Plus (because as a single player game I really have no need for it) and I don't wanna pay extra money just so I can play some multiplayer modes that I don't even wanna play anyway.

So yeah online is the worst for sure.

• Like 3

While speedrun trophies were a very close second, I really hate playing online.  I don't if I can help it, and hate when it's shoe-horned into single-player games.  So I had to go with online trophies even if I avoid them like that plague.

@Cloudbahamut Pretty much that.  Although I really don't mind grinding since I'll just watch TV on my computer or something and I kind of enjoy it.  Grinding for items less so, but grinding for levels is enjoyable for me.  But otherwise, yes.

Edited by Alternatewarning
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 10:57 AM, NordicSaiyan said:

Ahhh but you all forget the WORST of all trophies!! 

The unobtainable trophy due for a glitch, bug or servers closing....

I don't think it was forgotten as much as it was purposely not included.  I think it's a given on a site full of trophy hunters that we'd hate the trophies we can't unlock the most.  All the others are annoying, but at least we can unlock them after dealing with something we dislike.

• Like 1

Would much prefer an online trophy (if the game is online or can have a competitive type mode. Games that have online for online sake suck- looking at you Assassins Creed, Batman, Uncharted and Tomb Raider) than difficulty trophies.

Difficuly trophies are the worst. If you want to make the game hard - make it hard. Don't lock trophies behind mega difficulty setting. I don't enjoy playing games 2 or 3 times. 

On 7/28/2020 at 6:55 AM, MikeCheck-- said:

Collectibles, ONLY when there is no in game map or tracking  

Anthem has this.... just another reason I disliked it. Haven't finished it for that reason.....

I absolutely hate luck-based trophys, but you seem to have forgotton about those. From the ones listed there, I guess I'll go with online. I don't mind if the game is made for multiplayer, but I can't stand singleplayer games with those tacked on, low effort multiplayer modes that are dead after a week. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is a perfect example. Awful, mindumbing experience. And once the servers shut down, those trophys will be forever unachievable.

Edited by Sneezin--
  • Like 2

From the list I picked online trophies. It's difficult for me to really say though, it depends on the game.

I hate luck based trophies. Getting a random drop from a strong monster or getting a certain slot machine jackpot is just awful, especially if it isn't useful at all. But then again, Monster Hunter World with the crowns was fun for me, I actually enjoyed it! It's completely random, but the gameplay around it was fun and I got better at the game, I could try different equipment sets, craft different weapons etc. It was a useful luck based grind.
Almost the same for difficulty. DMC Devil May Cry with its Hell or Hell mode (and a few modes before that) can just f* off. Outlast as well. These one-hit-you-die-difficulties are nuts, I could never bring up the motivation and patience to do them. And still, I enjoy hard games like Dark Souls, Hard modes in Tales of games or Kingdom Hearts for example. Sometimes I even wish they were even more difficult! A good challenge is always nice, and killing a boss on a high difficulty is so damn satisfying.

So as long as a trophy improves the gameplay - actively or passively - like leveling, getting gear, or makes it rewarding in any kind of way I like it.
But as soon as a trophy doesn't serve as a useful action it's annoying and I hate it. Like 'walk a certain amount of steps' where completing the game twice still isn't enough, or killing 20 000 enemies in a game with 1 000 etc.

Online trophies are different because you either can't get them alone or you need to be a top player ro something like that. If servers are shut down, there's nothing you can do. If there's no playerbase, it's hard to do team based trophies etc. They're always a pain in the ass.

I'll join the majority opinion here and say online trophies. I play games for the adventure and the story, not for winning hundreds of online-matches against people who are all way better in the game than myself. Bioshock, Mass Effect, the early Assassins Creeds. All these had these forced Multiplayer mode. Horrible.

A close second are collectibles. Normaly I enjoy collecting them, but some games overdoe it. I don't want to spend dozens of hours in postgame searching for crap. Take Assassins Creed Origins as an example: Complete all locations on the world map. The game was great, but this trophy wasn't fun at all.

And the third place goes to: Do random things many times. The worst offender in my opinion was Tales of Xilia 2. Nearly the whole trophy-list consisted of battle-specific trophies, for which you had to use all special character-moves like dodging and countering hundreds of times each. That was waay too much.

I voted speedrun trophies as I dont like rushing through a game while worrying if im not too slow to stay in the required time limit.

Second would Extreme Difficulty trophies like mein leben in wolfenstein 2 or The last few community pack trophies in Batman Arkham Knight

I dont mind playing a game on the hardest setting but if there are even more restrictions like dont die and save only 3 times while on the hardest difficulty it stops being fun.

• Like 1

I hate online trophies, especially if single player games have a tacked on multiplayer component. Whenever I have to do some online stuff for a plat, 95% of the people I meet are dicks that either are or behave like 12 year olds. I'd rather grind anything in a game over having to do multiplayer related things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Conker said:

The worst trophys occurred in MLB 2K10 and 11, online trophys that could only be earned on that day that year and if you miss that day, it’s for ever unachievable 

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/263-major-league-baseball-2k10/37-mid-summer-classic

What an absolute dick move. Fuck whoever came up with that shit.

9 minutes ago, Conker said:

The worst trophys occurred in MLB 2K10 and 11, online trophys that could only be earned on that day that year and if you miss that day, it’s for ever unachievable 

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/263-major-league-baseball-2k10/37-mid-summer-classic

Holy shit, only one person has the platinum? That's insane. Ive never heard of timed event trophies before. Logistically the amount of work and planning it would take to do something like that seems like way too much, but here we are.

Egregious amounts of collectibles. Like I have never seen the point of hiding trophies behind this. 99.99% of people use a guide for it. There is 0 skill involved. Only there to pad out the length. Pointless.

GTAV's underwater submarine collectibles are the biggest offender that I have found. Unthinkable how somebody thought that was a 'fun' idea.

I hate DLC trophies more than anything, especially if they're pushed out months or even a year after the game is released.

You can choose to skip games if the trophy list is filled with things you dislike (Online, speedruns etc).  DLC trophies mean you're forced to buy subpar quality and often overpriced content just to maintain that sweet, sweet 100%.

Speedrun trophies. I could play online if required, i can accept that i won't be good at all games and some online servers just die. 

However... Do NOT rush me through a game. I can't stand to be forced to blitz through a playthrough while the clock is ticking. It is just not that fun.