Memorable licensed music used in Video Games

Glorious Fury

For me I would say in the order they pop into my head would be.

• GTA Vice City: Out of Touch, Broken Wings and the Spanish music that plays when you go to the hotel to save the game and a lot of others I can't name.
  • Scarface the World is Yours: All the music from the movie and Rick James tracks too, like Give It To Me Baby or Super Freak.
  • Spec Ops the line: The only track that kind of repeats in my head is the track is the track by Deep Purple called Hush it plays in part of the game when you need to go to a place to find a captured guy if I remember right can't fully remember just remember dying a lot and hearing this track a lot in fubar mode.
  • Max Payne 2 the Fall of Max Payne: The track in the credits by Poets of the Fall called Late Goodbye.
  • Cold Fear: The credits track called Use Your Fist and Not Your Mouth by Marilyn Manson.
  • Urban Chaos Riot Response: The track that plays in the title screen of the game is by Metro Riots and the track is called Modern Romance.
  • Prince of Persia Warrior Within: The end track done by Godsmack called Straight Out of Line and the chase music and the trailers music Again by Godsmack called I Stand Alone
  • Alan Wake: The end credits had  David Bowie's Space Oddity track and it got stuck in my head along while after I beaten it.
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein: A lot of the time you can find a lot of the Nazi's who are either drunk or sitting down relaxing to Beethoven's Fur Elise and it was my first time hearing it in a game before the other games out there took and used it for other ww2 games and so on.
  • Dead Rising: When your about to fight a boss who carries a machete you start to hear the track by The Evolutionaries called Slave play and when I was younger playing it the drums playing when he is coming right at you is bloodly scary plus the fact he hides in trap doors to pop out of another one randomly to attack you is good to the beat of this track.
  • The Darkness: In the game there is a TV you can mess with and anyone who has played it knows what am talking about. On there is a track that I never forget called Riverbank by Pelle Carlberg, it was a great track plus there is another that plays and strangely I like it a lot and it is done by the band El Caco the tack is called Substitute.

That is all that comes to mind for music but yeah.

• Like 2

Mozart - "Dies Irae" Fatal Fury 2 & The King of Fighters '96 (Wolfgang Krauser stage)

Alannis Morissette- "You Oughta Know" Guitar Freaks 4rd mix & Drummania 3rd (cover by Angel O'Brien)

The Trammps- "Disco Inferno" Bulletstorm (cover by the Earl Young Band), DDR Hottest Party, and GTA Episodes from Liberty City

Monty Norman- James Bond 007 theme (Quantum of Solace, BloodStone)

ZZ Top- "La Grange" The Getaway: High Speed 2 (cover by Dan Forden, the "Toasty" guy from MK)

Sylvester- "I Need You" GTA Episodes From Liberty City

A Taste of Honey- "Boogie Oogie Oogie" GTA EFLC

Ashley Tisdale- "He Said She Said" DDR SuperNova 2 PS2 USA/Canada version

Swing Out Sister- "Breakout" GTA EFLC

Jeffrey Osborne- "Stay With Me Tonight" GTA EFLC

• 2 weeks later...

Starsailor's "Way To Fall" at the end of MGS3 - especially since it was added by accident due to Kojima mishearing "Stellastarr", and yet managed to work perfectly. Also every use of "Here's To You".

Keeping with the Kojima theme - Death Stranding has an amazing use of its licensed music from Low Roar & Silent Poets. The moments when you're trekking across the world and the sound drops out so that you can only really hear the song. (It also has a super good, synthwave-y OST of its own. Ludvig Forssell got to shine with it more than in MGSV.)

Getting away from Kojima, though - I love the way DiRT 5 uses 3D audio to pump the music into the track you're racing on. The way it actually sounds like it's playing through speakers in the environment. Also, it features Pearl Jam, so I instantly like it.

There's also that very specific moment in CONTROL that I won't spoil - but those who know, know.

As far as licensed soundtracks that I just like: NFS Shift 2 does a lot with various amazing remixes of like 6 songs. Also a huge fan of the weirdly varied Amplitude soundtrack on PS2. DJ Hero 1 & 2 are also high on my list. THPS1 pretty much formed the basis of a lot of what I listen to today, too.

• Like 1

I liked how in Saints Row 2 the main antagonist would call the radio station to request that it would play Everybody Wants to Rule the World since he considered it his theme song.

I also gained a soft spot for this song since I remember hearing it frequently on the in-game radio ?

Edited by Redgrave
  • Like 3

Far Cry 4's use of The Clash's Should I Stay or Should I Go was well done, especially since it's a small hint  towards the Easter Egg ending.

My Favorite Game for Gran Turismo 2 made me drop $50 for a game I only played to do test track drives with the song looping.

Edited by majob

• 1 month later...
  • Saints Row 2: "Misery Business" by Paramore, "Hole in the Earth" by Deftones, "Lying Is The Most Fun..." by Panic! at the Disco, "Teenagers" by My Chemical Romance, "All That I Got" by The Used, "Hands Up" by Lloyd Banks, "Gangsta Bitch" by Apache, "We Are Rockstars" by Does It Offend You, Yeah?...hell, just throw the whole damn soundtrack in.
  • Saints Row: The Third: "Power" by Kanye West, "Diamond Eyes" by Deftones, "Volcanology" by Brooklyn, "Stupid Grin" by Dragonette, "What I Got" by Sublime, "A City In Florida" by deadmau5
  • Saints Row IV: "Tightrope" by Walk The Moon, "Just A Friend" by Biz Markie, "The Boys Are Back In Town" by Thin Lizzy
  • Tony Hawk's Underground: "She Said" by Angry Amputees
  • Tony Hawk's Underground 2: "That's Why They Call It A Union" by Less Than Jake, "Beat Your Heart Out" by The Distillers
  • Tony Hawk's American Wasteland: "Holiday" by Green Day, "Teenagers From Mars" by The Network
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops: "Nightmare" by Avenged Sevenfold
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II: "Carry On" by Avenged Sevenfold, "Try It Out" by Skrillex. And every musical easter egg in the Zombie mode. Hell, every musical easter egg in all Zombies modes for that matter.

And many more that I won't bother cluttering the thread with.

On 18.07.2021 at 10:45 PM, daxter1421 said:

Talking the Need For Speed series, Most Wanted 2005 as such a memorable soundtrack that I still remember on how great it really was. If I have to choose one song it has to be this one by far Nine Thou by Style Of Beyond. That one is that people remember the most about this game soundtrack.

This is the first computer game in which all soundtracks are perfectly matched. It was an amazing time, it was a legendary game. In the new games, I liked the soundtracks in Cyberpunk 2077, which I cannot say about the game itself. I also sometimes use royalty free video game sound effects in my projects, but they're not as cool as the legendary tracks in popular games.

Edited by Willerix

1. I'm surprised this hasn't shown up yet since so many people say they liked LiS soundtrack! But entering Mexico in RDR 1! Love Jose Gonzalez music.

https://youtu.be/AUXGW6sWYDY

2. The airport scene in Max Payne 3. Tears by Health is a great song but man I remember that scene from Max Payne 3 vividly. Rest of the game not so much. Just talking about it makes me want to just play that level again haha.

https://youtu.be/fCQoTRSjbAc

3. Pretty much all of life is strange soundtrack from the first game and prequel. Haven't gotten to the sequel or the newest game yet but will soon. My favorite is Jose Gonzalez, Ben Howard, Syd Matters, Foals.

4. Lego marvel 2. Love the licensed songs in the game haha.

Im sure I'll think of more later!

• 2 years later...
On 7/18/2021 at 8:37 PM, MissShake said:

I'm shocked that I didn't see anyone bring up the usage of "Power" by Kanye West in SR3. That's genuinely one of the best moments in the series.

Was just coming to comment about the SR3 soundtrack. The majority of that soundtrack is memorable, plus with the now added nostalgia. Playing the Remaster over a decade after staring the original release and it hits so hard