Sony Reportedly taking steps to ban Shovelware

diskdocx

9 minutes ago, westersburg said:

That was never a rule. Terminator Salvation released in 2009 and had only gold trophies and one platinum. Game was not amazing but still fun to play. The trophylists aren't the main problem here. If the game itself is fun to play, the "quality" of the trophy list is not as important. You can still be disappointed that games like sony exclusives for example have trophy lists that make it kinda easy to get the platinum but this is not as big as an issue as these shovelware games and even shortgames from ratalaika and co. You wouldn't come far leaderboard wise (only reason for shovelware to exist) if you'd only stick to easy AAA platinums.

It wasn’t a rule in the PS3 days but was common practice by most developers at the time. I think Sony exclusives today have pretty good trophy lists, even though they’re mostly all similar now and a little generic. I think probably a good thing for them to do is what they did before and have a lot more of a say again on what games get a platinum and which don’t

3 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

Thats some power fantasy there considering the allocation of trophies.

God of War 3 had 36 trophies, with 5 gold and 10 silver and that was completely fine. AC2 had 15 silver trophies. I cannot agree with your trophy guideline ideas, even good or at least normal games (Doom 3 with 66 trophies, basic Killzone 2 with 52 trophies) tend to go for more trophies, and if those only had 12 or 14 that'd be fine.

Even in your example, 43 trophies for $5 or less is a valid option.

I think a lot of people are getting hung up on it having to be exactly 4 or 8, it could be 5 gold, 10 silver instead but it’s the idea of it that I’m trying to get across that there should be more bronze than silver, and more silver than gold - perhaps that’s a better rule set right there

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

nintendo eshop is filled with loads of worthless shovelware, and there are no achievements/trophies so

Not like that. The worst of the Nintendo E-Shop is still better than the worst of PSN. Stroke the ... takes the cake of lazyness and asset flips.

7 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

It wasn’t a rule in the PS3 days but was common practice by most developers at the time. I think Sony exclusives today have pretty good trophy lists, even though they’re mostly all similar now and a little generic. I think probably a good thing for them to do is what they did before and have a lot more of a say again on what games get a platinum and which don’t

I think a lot of people are getting hung up on it having to be exactly 4 or 8, it could be 5 gold, 10 silver instead but it’s the idea of it that I’m trying to get across that there should be more bronze than silver, and more silver than gold - perhaps that’s a better rule set right there

Of course it would be ideal to have a trophylist with most bronze trophies, followed by silver and then gold, but that would be only the cherry on the cake. Let us not forget that a lot of developers (shown in different interviews) don't like trophies and achievements and put very little effort into it, just because they are mandatory to release a game. You can clearly see which devs thought about their trophylist and which just made a generic one just to have one at all.

1 hour ago, craig_obviously said:

I’m not a fan of shovelware…. but I would agree with this.. you can’t take the points away from people for something they paid for.. if you are going to take the points you HAVE TO refund them the money they spent.. 

We are going thru this now here in Canada with guns.. you cannot confiscate someone’s legal property because you are changing the rules.. they have to be given fair compensation for legally obtained property..

Wrong, as it has already been done years ago with DLC.

Some people felt the completionists got too many URs for 'free' and that they consequently had to be dealt with.

This is kind of the same scenario. People are rilled up about being forced to compete with filth that aren't even games, not to mention having to debate it with those who couldn't give a damn about what the leaderboard once was.

Naturally, it's right about time to reduce those titles to 0 points and be done with it. Doing so wouldn't be much worse than what already have occurred.

• Like 1

Some of you complaining about this should really think hard about this and look at your profiles. When was the last time you did play an actual game? Some of you have months "playing" non games. I feel bad for you and for your wallet.

Is just sad. You need help

Edited by MAUSZX
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

As a dev I'd decide how I adjust the trophies of my game as long as it's 1260 to 1350 points. Worked fine in the past. Sound Shapes had 32 silver trophies and no bronze, and it worked. If a story driven game goes with 11 gold that's fine too.

9 minutes ago, MAUSZX said:

Some of you complaining about this should really think hard about this and look at your profiles. When was the last time you did play an actual game? Some of you have months "playing" non games. I feel bad for you and for your wallet.

Is just sad. You need help

Man, I gotta say, one of my favorite past times is when someone creates a thread about a topic and people chime in with their opinion about said topic, then other people chime in bashing those people without having anything to say about the thread topic itself. People are allowed to play these games and not like them. They're allowed to stack these games and not like them cluttering the store. They're allowed to spend the money they earn on what they want, be it just for trophies or something else. Your opinion of an "actual game" isn't the definitive definition of an "actual game", so for you to sit there and assume it is... glorious. Let people have their opinions on thread topics in the threads they're responding in. It's not that hard, I promise you. 

Edited by Velvet
Oh I misspell things leave me alone lol
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, craig_obviously said:

I’m not a fan of shovelware…. but I would agree with this.. you can’t take the points away from people for something they paid for.. if you are going to take the points you HAVE TO refund them the money they spent.. 

We are going thru this now here in Canada with guns.. you cannot confiscate someone’s legal property because you are changing the rules.. they have to be given fair compensation for legally obtained property..

Well PSNProfiles could absolutely take the points away and remove all the shovelware games. They have nothing to do with the money paid to Sony.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Velvet said:

Man, I gotta say, one of my favorite past times is when someone creates a thread about a topic and people chime in with their opinion about said topic, then other people chime in bashing those people without having anything to say about the thread topic itself. People are allowed to play these games and not like them. They're allowed to stack these games and not like them cluttering the store. They're allowed to spend the money they earn on what they want, be it just for trophies or something else. Your opinion of an "actual game" isn't the definitive definition of an "actual game", so for you to sit there and assume it is... glorious. Let people have their opinions on thread topics in the threads they're responding in. It's not that hard, I promise you. 

They are allowed, but they don't like this, most of them are just getting this platinums just to keep up in the leaderboards, that is just sad. Yes Jumping food is not a game when you only need to hold a button, so is every animal G and stuff like that. You don't understand, people are spending money for pressing a button just to keep up in the leaderboard, also the trully affected are the indie devs which is what for me really matters. And I said that they need help, not to bash them, but because their OCD or whatever thing gets triggered is really affecting their wallet and their hobby. Holding a button is not an actual game.

I want to reiterate, if they are happy doing that then that is their problem is not my life and I really don't care what they do with their life, but I think many do it just to keep up or to hold their OCD happy. Also the thumbnails are horrendous and that is really a visual agression.

Edited by MAUSZX
  • Like 3

I definitely won't be sorry to see every single game of the Breakthrough or Jumping series removed from the store. And any other shovelware that came out recently.

And this is coming from someone who has a bunch of Ratalaika, EastAsiaSoft and Sometimes You platinums. Some of which I regret having on my profile.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Milktastrophe said:

Would they be giving up money though? At least for me, my spending on PSN has basically cratered since the garbageware epidemic because I can no longer easily find indies amongst the shit. If actual games become discoverable again, I'll start spending again. Surely I can't be alone on this.

I'm just sick of having to sort from Price High to Low to find actual games. I can't think of what's worse, sorting through shovelware or looking at the price of the new Call of Duty re-skin.

• Like 1

Finally! Even though I think harm was done and we can't do anything about all these meaningless profiles who boosted their trophy count thanks to hundreds of these junk apps.

By the way, shout out to PSNP who was a step ahead by removing shovelwares from the game list.

• Like 4