Introducing PlayStation Classic, with 20 Pre-Loaded Games

Aranea Highwind

Since it's all about nostalgia, I would've preferred they go really classic with it and include like... Tekken 1 and the first Ridge Racer and that kinda stuff.  I'd almost consider getting one in that case since damn, those games would bring back a flood of memories.

I get why they'd go with the best/most popular ones though, for obvious reasons.

Edited by Dreakon13

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

There's no good reason why PS4 doesn't have backwards compatibility with PS1.

Sure there is, so they could sell the PS1 Classic. :P

I have no interest in this, just like I didn't have an interest in the other classic console rereleases.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

I have the weird feeling that this won't sell well. The problem is that early 3d games do not look good today unlike 2d games from the 16 bit era. A n64 mini would suffer from the same issue. Besides that, I don't know for what audience this is. Definitely not for people at this forum who are already able to play ps1 games on multiple consoles. If you are a collector, it's another story but besides that?! I just don't believe that there are many people out there who loved the console back then, forgot about it, avoided Sony, wanna buy it now and at the same time skipped the ps2, the ps3 and the vita to actually play games from this era (not even taking about other ports for the PC or other consoles). The PS TV is also another great way to play ps1 games. It's smaller and you can use wireless controllers

On another note, I really dislike that they put Tekken 3 on it but never put it in the PSN-store due to some alleged copyright issues revolving around Gon? And now it's possible? I don't know, this whole concept seems off and 100 Dollars is also not a good price.

There is a good number of people that loved the console back then but, you're right, early 3D games do not age particularly well. That's not to say they cannot be played and enjoyed but they do feel particularly clunky in this day and age no matter how awesome they were back in the day. Yeah, pretty much a collector or someone that is interested in this mini-console novelty could be potentially interested in getting one. I mean... They are a fun-looking piece of gaming to have around to show friends and whatnot. Now, how good they are (both objectively and subjectively) related to their price is a whole different story.

The PS1 was my first console so I definitely want this. I doubt I'll even use it since all the games are almost certainly available on the PS3 store, but it would be cool to have in the collection.

Yeah, I found that strange too. I mean the analog sticks objectively improved a lot of games. I can't even imagine playing something like MGS1 without the Dualshock. Speaking of, if MGS1 isn't one of the 20 games, we riot. :devil:

Correct, I found that decision weird. Even if most of the games didn't outright need them, they did improve the playability by a good factor. Hell, I think the PS1 introduced most people out there to play with Dual Analog sticks at the time (we N64ers only had one on our side :P) so it's kind of baffling seeing the replica controllers here not having the sticks. 

• Like 2

I told my wife this is at the top of my Christmas wish list. Games that are available look good so far. A Parasite eve game would be awesome but unlikely.

Some Games I see as a possibility.

Castlevania SOTN

Twisted Metal

a platformer such as Crash, or Spyro

Grand Theft Auto 1 or 2

Tomb Raider

Tony Hawk

Silent Hill

Hot Shots Golf

Syphon Filter

One

Edited by kingofbattle8174

This is a cool idea and I’ve always loved the look of the console, though I’d rather the Dualshock controller. Also my PS2 isn’t in the greatest condition but I still have that if I want to play ps1 games. I probably won’t have a ton of nostalgic value to the pre-loaded ones either, most of what I played as a kid were movie tie-ins. Unless Crash Team Racing is included.

As others have mentioned this explains why PS4 lacks classic games...

Don't get me wrong, I like this idea but I'm not even thinking of getting one.  I still have my launch PS3 that can play PS1 games. No Dual Shock controllers?  No AC adaptor?  Two strikes.  I think releasing a PlayStation Classic Collection for $60 on PS4 sounds like a better idea.  All 20 games could fit in a single Blu-ray disc.

Strider 2 would be a good choice for one of the 20 games.  Also I have to agree on MGS, a game from the time when Konami was relevant.  It does deserve a spot.  Too bad we'll likely never see another game of this caliber from the present Konami.  I used to love them from the late 90s through the 2000s.  They've lost something in the 2010s, & their treatment of Kojima didn't win them any points with me.

• Like 1

Not exactly a stellar line-up either. FF7 and Tekken 3 are great! While I like Wild Arms, I don't think that's a big seller, nor is Jumping Flash!. I wouldn't get it for Ridge Racer Type 4 either.

So 2 of the 5 known games out of the 20 are great.

Approximately what it should have, if only 20 games:

1. Gran Turismo
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Crash Bandicoot 3
  4. Metal Gear Solid
  5. Tomb Raider II
  6. Spyro
  7. Tekken 3
  8. Dragon Warrior VII
  9. Rayman
  10. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
  11. Driver
  12. PaRappa The Rapper
  13. Croc
  14. Resident Evil
  15. Dino Crisis
  16. Crash Team Racing
  17. Mortal Kombat Trilogy
  18. Silent Hill
  19. Parasite Eve
  20. Twisted Metal

Could mention quite a lot more, but these were big sellers.

1. Final Fantasy VIII
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. Need for Speed games
  4. Spider-Man
  5. Everybody's Golf
  6. Tomorrow Never Dies
  7. Legacy of Kain
  8. Dance Dance Revolution
  9. SaGa Frontier
  10. Grant Theft Auto 2
  11. Medal of Honor
  12. Chrono Cross
  13. The Legend of the Dragoon
  14. Tales of Destiny
  15. Arc the Lad
  16. Xenogears
  17. Cool Boarders
  18. Star Ocean: The Second Story

etc

Edited by MMDE

I don't agree with the people saying that this is the reason we don't have backwards compatibility for PS1 games on PS4. I mean think about it; PS2 classics become a thing for the system at the end of 2015, long before they would have gotten the idea to make this PlayStation Classic (NES Mini wasn't announced until 2016). I don't think they ever intended to put PS1 classics on PS4, otherwise they would have either announced it before PS2 classics or at the same time. Also, they've been remastering various PS1 games like Parappa the Rapper and MediEvil (I'm aware the former was technically based off the PSP version, but it was advertised as a PS1 remaster) instead of just emulating them as PS1 classics. Maybe they think PS1 games are just too ugly for PS4 in their original state, who knows? Either way, hopefully the PS5 does a better job in terms of backwards compatibility, because the PS4 is sorely lacking.

• Like 1

I don't agree with the people saying that this is the reason we don't have backwards compatibility for PS1 games on PS4.

If you think the notion holds little merit I've a bridge to sell you.

Those of us saying this don't truly believe this is the sole reason; we're just being dour, pessimistic sods.

3 hours ago, Mikoto_railgun01 said:

Wow Sony are copying Nintendo yet again.

Right, because Nintendo pioneered the retro console craze. 

• Like 1

The $99 price tag makes sense since most digital PS1 Classics are $4.99, so 20 of em are going to add up to $100. Actually FF7 is $9.99 so there's already value there.

I preordered it just to hold one and then I'll make my final decision if I cancel my preorder or not when the other 15 titles are officially announced.

2 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I don't agree with the people saying that this is the reason we don't have backwards compatibility for PS1 games on PS4. I mean think about it; PS2 classics become a thing for the system at the end of 2015, long before they would have gotten the idea to make this PlayStation Classic (NES Mini wasn't announced until 2016). I don't think they ever intended to put PS1 classics on PS4, otherwise they would have either announced it before PS2 classics or at the same time. Also, they've been remastering various PS1 games like Parappa the Rapper and MediEvil (I'm aware the former was technically based off the PSP version, but it was advertised as a PS1 remaster) instead of just emulating them as PS1 classics. Maybe they think PS1 games are just too ugly for PS4 in their original state, who knows? Either way, hopefully the PS5 does a better job in terms of backwards compatibility, because the PS4 is sorely lacking.

I think PS4 BC on PS5 is pretty much a guarantee, but I think we're still another generation away from proper PS3 emulation (thanks Cell!)