Are you a completist? Yes or No and Why?

El-Sublime-

11 hours ago, me_is_caveman said:

Yes, because it means I'm being the BEST player, like this person:

https://psnprofiles.com/TheVampireDiva

She was my friend on psn, but deleted me. If she doesn't give up on being a completionist, neither can I. It means having something in common with her. If I can't be with her, I'm gonna be like her.

She has over 100 hidden trophies on her profile, and her account isn't really anything "special".

Mostly all AAA games that I see everywhere else. Just meh.

Grew up with old school JRPGs where I felt compelled to have 100% save file so believe it or not, when I started collecting trophies, it actually allowed me to play more games. Going for 100% is just something that appeals to me. I have a pretty strict budget, so it helps to feel like I have gotten the most out of the game. However, DLC for five year old games is starting to takes it toll on my wallet. 

• Like 1

In the fact that i have 4 backlog games of which 3 games are possible to do then yes, I will still consider myself as a completist, but I won't consider myself as a legit one cause of the one game i've hidden. I had a really rough start on my account since I wasn't supposed to make it for Trophy Hunting. I always stay on my limit with 2-3 games not being completed on my list :)

https://psnprofiles.com/TAY1OR1437

Edited by TAY1OR1437

No, simply because I have no time and I have work and study combined together. I only platinum/complete games I really like, and the easy ones, that doesn't take long.

At the end I try to atleast beat the story of a game and move on. No one cares about your percentage anyways :P

If I had to buy every shit DLC only for the reason to have to attain 100%, I doubt I'd still have fun to play video games. There were games where I went and got "1 of every" and similar stuff before trophies were introduced, but luckily, I can drop  agame I don't like without second thoughts. No, I am not a completionist, and reading threads like this, I feel good with it.

I used to be pretty big on trophy hunting a few years ago. I would try to get the platinums or 100% for most games I played. I put myself through a good many trophies that I otherwise would not have attempted just to get a game completed. At first I enjoyed trophies, but as the years went on trophies ended up sucking the fun and life out of gaming for me because I felt like I couldn't enjoy the game unless I was earning trophies at a decent rate. If I was having difficulty with a particular trophy I would get very frustrated. Out of the 50 some plats I currently have I am glad to say I enjoyed almost all of them. I decided to give up "trophy hunting" or attempting completion about 8 months ago. I've currently decided that working on my backlog of games across PS3 & 4 and getting my average completion stat up from the high 30's is my current goal. But as for completion I no longer force myself to sludge through a trophy list for a 100% or Plat. I do however look at the trophy lists before hand and just plan out the trophies that won't give me much trouble or frustration so that I can go through the game and just have fun. I aim for a completion in the 75-100% range if possible now, but by no means force it upon myself or let it dictate what I do and don't play like I used to.

I try to be. ?

Most times I try but once in a while a game will have dlc I can't do. I'm looking at some Ultra Hard trophies or speed runs.

So Uncharted 4 will only be Plat and not Plat and 100%

And Far Cry 5 won't have Zombies 100% and Ultra Hard run trophies. (Stuck on the stupid timed Jacob section.)

Used to stress a lot about completing games to 100% but realized that I have no time to be a completionist with the rate awesome games that I want to play through at least once are being released. That and my main games League and FF14 being on PC I just don't have the time even tho I play 10 hours a day most days. :D Pretty sure I have a decade worth of backlog and unfinished games if I wanted to 100% everything...

Edited by Poramies

Even though I don't like to do it, I have no problem in leaving a game unplatted. That being said, I consider myself a completionist in the sense that I plat all my games (so far, the only one I didn't was Foul Play, but that was due to their co op problems). I 100% if I really love the game.

• Like 1

Only occasionally, and for games that will not make me pull my hair out. I’m not a very patient person, and I know that tons of platinums out there require a lot of dedication and patience. So if I try to go for a platinum/100% completion, and I’m having a really difficult time, I get frustrated.  That to me defeats the purpose of playing games, which is to have fun and enjoy myself. 

Everyone has different gaming styles and ways to enjoy their games. I fully complete my games and get all trophies if I genuinely enjoy the game and don’t feel like the trophies are too difficult. I can manage grindy trophies and still enjoy the game, but I almost always steer clear of the difficulty trophies! Just don’t have a knack for them. ?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Shamefully I'm the kind of person who will play for 100% even if I'm hating the game.

I go in with the attitude that the second I start a game I will 100% it(platinum is not good enough if it has DLC)

Edited by Dan-lives-here
  • Like 1

Yes.

When I was younger I felt compelled to go for all the collectibles in platformers like Crash and Spyro. I was also motivated (or maybe obsessed) with meticulously playing JRPGs and getting most or all of the missables like what is present in a lot of Final Fantasy games for example. The attitude carried over into other genres, like going for perfect scores in rhythm games that I'm good enough to do it in. Nowadays I'm highly interested in getting my old games to 100%/Plat and making those as perfect as possible, too.

• Like 1

I'm neither a completionist in terms of 100% completion of the game or 100% completion of trophies. It's too painful. There are already times where I hold back starting certain games so I don't have too many to juggle and have too many low completion rates. That's annoying enough. I can't even imagine trying to complete everything. I have neither the skill, nor the patience to do that.