What game did you buy for a ridiculous reason?

charxsetsuna

Orc Slayer - There is a YouTuber named Cornshaq who does a lot of indie video game reviews, occasionally does some speedruns on old games...

Long story short he reviewed this game and it looked so bad that I wanted to try it out for myself.

This game is terrible, probably the worst game I've played on my account. Horrible frame rate, enemies get stuck on walls and fences even when there is an opening next to them, mind numbing  tedious, bad sound effects, okay/medicore music, etc etc. Just NOT fun to play. Avoid at all costs.

The fact some people out there stacked this game... they must of been desperate to get some easy trophies.

Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space - Bought it because it looked easy.

Followed Stay Pationt's video guide from start to finish. Just a bad game. Boring and even for 3-D point and click adventures, pretty terrible.

You don't even have to finish the game to get the platinum. I quit out of the game and deleted it as soon as the platinum trophy popped.

Adam's Venture Origins - In mid 2017 this sort of caught my attention because I thought it would be Uncharted without the combat. I didn't actually buy it, I rented this from Gamefly.

Well.... sort of. This game doesn't have a tenth of the budget that was required to make Uncharted 1 or 2 for that matter.

Voice acting was bad. Controls were not good. It looks okay for a low budget indie game. The only thing that appealed to me was this game takes place in the 1920s, but it was just awful in terms of consistency.

I got this mostly to explore and play an Uncharted esque exploring game. It wasn't worth it.

My Name is Mayo - I really don't need to explain this one.

It looked stupid, and in late 2016 I figured 'Hey why not try this game?'

I hit the X button over 10,000 times and stacked this game. I will never play it again.

Murdered Soul Suspect - Too many collectibles and the way you avoided the beings that hurt you was just stupid. Story was okay.

So why did I stack the PS3 version? That is a mystery even for me. But the best reason I can possibly give for you guys is because I wanted more trophies.

===

There are more games I probably bought for ridiculous reasons, but these ones I listed stand out the most. For the most part, the games I have I bought either because I wanted to play them, or they had an easy trophy set, or a combination of both. Mostly because I wanted to play them.

• Like 2

Life is Strange - Bought the Deluxe Edition blind because I liked the front cover and box artwork. I'd no idea what the game was about.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - grew up on NES/SNES games and only played around 3 Genesis games as a kid so I wanted to see how Genesis games of the time were. Not as good as Nintendo btw. ;)

Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut - Cover looked neat and I heard it was Twin Peaks inspired.

Snoopy's Grand Adventure - I'm a fan of Snoopy and the Peanuts comics/cartoon.

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture - It's called Everybody's Gone To The Rapture. How could I not buy this.

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Fortune - 80085 ?

NCIS Game - I liked CSI: Fatal Conspiracy so I tried this one as well. This one sucked.

Terminator Salvation - I heard it was an easy Plat. They lied. Plus I like the movie. The Terminator. And T2. The third was okay too. We never speak of Genisys.

Suicide Guy - I had my heart broken at the time. It's about killing yourself. But funny.

LEGO Dimensions - Been wanting to try a LEGO game at the time plus the set around 90% off the original price. Made collecting this and the other needed sets cheap to buy.

Agents of Mayhem - No idea why I bought it. It's actually a very good game and I recommend people to try it out, it's not a bad game.

How to Train Your Dragon 1 & 2 - I liked this films.

The Last Door - Played the first part of the game YEARS ago and never had played the second part. Finally did.

Stranger Things 3: The Game - I liked this show.

The Saboteur - Curiosity. It's one of those games I've heard about but never seen. Plus Nudity DLC. ?

Untitled Goose Game - You play as a Goose. Nuff' said.

Edited by Jamescush147
  • Like 3

For me, this would pretty much be any Ratalaika game (only exception would be Devious Dungeon 1 & 2). I got sucked into the trophy grab and ended up buying 3 stacks for each game for a while there. I'm done with the shovelware at this point, and have been making it a point to hunt Ultra Rare stuff now!

• Like 1

Ignoring the negative feedbacks, I bought the recent Secret of Mana remaster, hoping I would somehow recover the feelings I had when playing the original one on Super Nintendo as a kid. I just had forgotten that I’m no longer a kid and felt quite disappointed, as predictable... Nostalgia sometimes sucks ?

Edited by Neef-GT5

I don't know if this is a ridiculous reason, but I do purchase games not to necessarily play but to support the developer. The witcher for example, I felt deserved more sales at launch so I purchased an extra copy. Greedfall, made by a studio that doesn't get as much love as it probably should, I heard they put a really good effort into their game so I got it and shelved it but wanted to at least support a lesser known dev that put forth tremendous effort. 

I buy meme games that are considered some of the worst games out there. For example because I enjoyed Angry Joe's reviews about them, or simply because other people despise them so much. Games like Magus, Terminator Salvation, Ride to Hell: Retribution and Aliens: Colonial Marines for example, that I will pick up for 1 or 2 euro's planning to plat them "some day". It's a silly reason but probably as good as any.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 2

Yakuza Dead Souls, despite the bad reviews I just had to play more Yakuza. My god that subterranea dungeon sucks so bad, you just have to experience it for yourself like it's just ridiculous. Felt like the developers were trolling pretty hard with those random roadblocks and a bazillion zombies, the rooms with molotov throwing zombies were annoying.

I have a habit of buying games just because the characters are cute, and I really need to stop. I and Me, Dreamals Dream Quest, others that I can't recall atm. I and Me I wanted to do so bad because of the platinum image too. No more cutesy movement puzzle games, they are so goddamn annoying. There's a few games out there that I'm trying soo hard to ignore because I know all of the budget and effort went into designing the characters and making them appealing that they forgot about the rest of the game.

Even though I own Oxenfree digitally, I felt compelled to purchase the LRG edition of it a few years ago to show my appreciation of the game. 

Plus, I have also purchased games solely on their aesthetics in the past like Hyper Light Drifter.

Edited by VoxAnimi
  • Like 1

I bought Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer’s Call on PS2 just because Dante from Devil May Cry was on the cover. I never heard of SMT before that, but that game is still in my top 5 favorite JRPGs.

Adam's Venture: Origins "Deluxe" Edition. Wondering why I quoted Deluxe? Because there IS NOTHING deluxe about the deluxe version of this brain-cells-committing-suicide of this "game". Luckily, the game was only $1.61 CAD (SRP is $26.99 CAD for Deluxe) during the sale, and I just played the game for the Platinum, nothing else.

Edited by BadRep24

Great topic OP, gave me some nostalgia looking over the various dumb reasons I've bought games.  Here's the top 3:

1) Hannah Montana The Movie - Back when I was just starting trophy hunting in 2013, this game was THE Rata game:  you know, if you were in a sweatty lobby in CoD or GTA IV, the best insult was "Go Play Hannah Montana."  I wanted everyone to know I was all about this trophy thing, so I did.  Worth it.

2) South Park The Stick of Truth - I heard about the "Too Far" trophy on a YouTube video and bought the whole game to get it.  Also worth it.

3) Tennis in the Face/Jetpack Joyride - I work in an office and the whole company took a business trip overseas and left me alone to cover.  It was just me and one warehouse guy, and both were mad that we were stuck home.  My work monitor has an HDMI port but no sound, so I bought these so I could play at work while everyone was gone.  Not worth it.  The games were fine, the other guy ratted me out and now my monitor faces the door :(.

Not sure if it's ridiculous or not, but for one I bought Railway Empire yesterday simply for the reason that I'm a train driver myself. Not really into simulators or the likes but we'll see how I enjoy this game once I start.

I'll edit if I can recall any other buys when thinking it through.

• Like 1

No, every game i have ever bought and played, I have had some level on interest in playing the actual game.

But i will say this.... i do not like spoilers at all. Obviously nobody likes story spoilers, but i hate watching trailers for games. If I don't know what a game is about, I'll watch about 10-15 seconds of a trailer to decide if im interested or not. For example, if I see an RPG, i don't like watching the entire trailer because I like to be surprised by a lot of little things... like what the environments look like ,and most trailers show off all the environments, and that ruins the game for me (that's just one little example). So i guess buying and playing a game based off of 10-15 seconds could be considered silly.