What game did you buy for a ridiculous reason?

charxsetsuna

8 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I've ended up buying the same game four times instead of twice.Ended up being four platinum stacks but I only ever intended to buy it twice.

Many years ago got Puyo Puyo Tetris on PS3 to play with my wife, we played it non stop for about a year. I also then got the Vita version so I could play it on the train, because it is an awesome game, not only that I/we can play it when someone is watching the TV and I was able to boost the online trophies with myself.

But then a year later I got a PS4 and the PS3 unit was kind of taking up space when all I was playing was PS4 mostly, and we also wanted to sit on the sofa wireless and not have the PS3 wired controllers. So sold the PS3 version and got PS4 version. Then proceeded to play this version for a year, happily ever after.

Unfortunately all 3 versions being Japanese, they were from the shop so none of them digital release. It seemed like such a waste of the BluRay Drive having the Puyo disc in the system all the time, plus it was annoying having to take the disc out to watch movies and put it back in, for over a year Puyo Puyo Tetris was the only disc game I had. The disc would suddenly boot up and churn even while playing other games, eventually it was annoying having the disc version.

Then all of a sudden western release announced without warning, BINGO, bought the UK version and thought awesome, I can sell the PS4 Japanese version now. However after a day of playing it and earning various trophies, played it with my wife and the voice overs are horrible. The Japanese voices are much better, so now I have a 4th platinum and am sadly back to disc based PS4 version.

Do I go the full hog and buy Japanese digital? That would be five times! lol

Pretty sure the 5th one is Asia (HK/Korean), https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5810-魔法氣泡俄羅斯方塊

Hmm, well I was very curious about Atelier games, so i bought the last ps3 trilogy. 

After got totally confused playing Atelier Escha not knowing how to prepare certain formula and not finding a guide anywhere I put aside the game but still purchased the Mysterious trilogy on PS4  and I'm browsing constantly the web for a sale on Ryza lol

I bought Aerea Ultimate because the soundtrack was included, and seriously without that i would feel myself robbed.

Buggy game with a ridiculously grindy trophy, maybe one day I'll finish it.

BUT, if you really want a ridiculous reason, if I'd own a Vita I would purchase at least 2 games solely because of the name. IDK I think that some Vita games have very badasses names lol

Edited by GoldenShaka
  • Like 1

I already owned Yakuza Kiwami digitally from a Big in Japan sale a few years back for 15 bucks, but after finishing it, and loving the look of the steelbook so much I bought physically for 40 bucks haha. At least it looks great sitting next to Kiwami 2 as well.

• Like 1

I own all of the PS4 Yakuza games, even though I have only played Yakuza 6 for no more then 3 hours. I just keep picking them up when they go on sale but have yet to get around to playing them.

I also own a few OOP physical games that I really wouldn't have been interested in buying otherwise, but bought them because I saw them at a good price and picked them up in case I want to play them in the future.

• Like 2

I bought GTA V three times because I changed consoles. I bought it at the original launch on Xbox 360. By the time the next gen remaster was announced, I had an Xbox One so I bought that version when it came out. Several months later, I sold my Xbox and bought a PS4 and got GTA V for it. I'd say it was definitely worth it because it ended up being one of my favorite games.

• Like 1

I bought Nier for PS3 just for the OST (turned out to be one of the best investments ever, the game is terrifyingly good).

But I know what I will buy in the future : Granblue Fantasy Versus - a fighting game.

Reasons? There is one specific character , Lowain, who is a troll character. His super is actually summoning a humongous goddess waifu which is incredibly cheap. Also his intros and outros are stupid fun and his combos are utterly dumb. Just because of the troll fact I will buy that game (I don't even care about the rest of the roster honestly). 

• Like 1

If you're a trophy hunter you've probably bought lots of games for ridiculous reasons. What wouldn't we do to add another shiny plat in our profile, right?

Like some people here I also bought several games just because the trophy pics were beautiful.

But the most ridiculous reason I can think of is Brink on ps3. The only reason I bought this game is because th platinum is a picture of slippers. I had to have this in my trophy collection.

I didn't know what the game was, or if it was easy or not, I just wanted these slippers.

Fun fact: I played it for maybe 20 min 7 years ago and put it back on the shelf where it still is today. Maybe someday I'll play it for real ?

1L4e8300.png

• Like 3

On 25/02/2020 at 11:55 AM, enaysoft said:

I've ended up buying the same game four times instead of twice.Ended up being four platinum stacks but I only ever intended to buy it twice.

Many years ago got Puyo Puyo Tetris on PS3 to play with my wife, we played it non stop for about a year. I also then got the Vita version so I could play it on the train, because it is an awesome game, not only that I/we can play it when someone is watching the TV and I was able to boost the online trophies with myself.

But then a year later I got a PS4 and the PS3 unit was kind of taking up space when all I was playing was PS4 mostly, and we also wanted to sit on the sofa wireless and not have the PS3 wired controllers. So sold the PS3 version and got PS4 version. Then proceeded to play this version for a year, happily ever after.

Unfortunately all 3 versions being Japanese, they were from the shop so none of them digital release. It seemed like such a waste of the BluRay Drive having the Puyo disc in the system all the time, plus it was annoying having to take the disc out to watch movies and put it back in, for over a year Puyo Puyo Tetris was the only disc game I had. The disc would suddenly boot up and churn even while playing other games, eventually it was annoying having the disc version.

Then all of a sudden western release announced without warning, BINGO, bought the UK version and thought awesome, I can sell the PS4 Japanese version now. However after a day of playing it and earning various trophies, played it with my wife and the voice overs are horrible. The Japanese voices are much better, so now I have a 4th platinum and am sadly back to disc based PS4 version.

Do I go the full hog and buy Japanese digital? That would be five times! lol

buy Yakuza 6 , you can play the Arcade version of Puyo Puyo in there :D
Now if that woukld not be a ridiculous reason to buy a game, I don't know what is :D

But go for it :D 

On 25/02/2020 at 4:00 PM, CaptainMonkster said:

My biggest nerdiction in life is dragonball, so i instantly buy any dragonball game i find even if its known to be awful. I would do this for baki too if that was popular enough to have ps4 ganes

I feel you! Even though I don't have every Dragon Ball game, I have three shelves dedicated only to Dragon Ball stuff (Games, Figurines, DVD's, Blu-Ray's...)

• Like 1

This isn't really ridiculous, but I bought the Madden 25 Special Edition just because it came with the NFL Sunday Ticket. I didn't even play the game. I immediately sold the game disc for the full price of the regular edition and got all the football I wanted for a mere $40 that year. That's like 85% off. ?

I bought The Adventure Pals just because the giraffe on the cover looks hilarious. It was actually a good game.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

This isn't really ridiculous, but I bought the Madden 25 Special Edition just because it came with the NFL Sunday Ticket. I didn't even play the game. I immediately sold the game disc for the full price of the regular edition and got all the football I wanted for a mere $40 that year. That's like 85% off.

I did the same thing although I played (and platted the game).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grifteskymfning said:

I bought eight copies of 激アツ!! パチゲー魂 「CRヱヴァンゲリヲン~始まりの福音~」so I can run them 13 hours each day on eight different PS3s in the hope of getting that one RNG trophy.

Does that count?

Oh my fucking god. lol. What the hell is that Evangelion Pachinko game that requires something that rare? Who in the hell has 8 PS3s :)

Have to say that is the most dedication I have ever seen for trophy hunting. Do you have a picture?

I bought Final Fantasy VII three times. First time when it was originally released on the PS1 with the regular black spine case. Played it and loved it. I had two roommates at the time who were also gamers, and they both played it as well. That copy got beat to hell and stopped working. I decided to buy another copy in case I ever wanted to play it again and bought a PC copy, thinking "Hey, it'll look even better!". I installed it on my computer, but never played it. I lost that copy and changed PCs over the years, so I bought yet another new PS1 copy (greatest hits with the green spine) when the PS1 was on its last legs. I wanted to secure a copy before they stopped manufacturing PS1 discs altogether. I have that copy in my basement, it's still sealed in the plastic.

So to summarize, I bought FFVII three times and played through it once.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
Typo

On 25/02/2020 at 8:40 AM, tsuki_-no-_usagi said:

I bought all Neptune games that are currently out in NA. Sole reason is just because I want to platinum them all. 1f605.png

I can relate to that

Mine is buying Hello Neighbour on Physical because Canadian Walmarts goofed and released a misprint without the title on it.

Edited by Lord_Bane999

I don't know if it's a ridiculous reason but i went to the store one day, bought mgs4, dead space 1 and fallout 3 just because the covers looked cool lol. I didn't watch any gameplay or read anything about them. Never heard of them before either.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:27 PM, brejdak93 said:

Senran Kagura and there are actually multiple reasons: big...anime...tiddies

Man of culture.

Edited by XXIIlII
  • Like 1

There have been many examples of me buying a physical copy of a game I already owned digitally just so I could add it to my collection, many of which will remain sealed. I wouldn't call it a "ridiculous reason" myself, but there are probably some people out there who would think so. :P

Also, I'm not gonna lie, I've bought my fair share of games solely based on the fact that they have cute anime girls in them. :awesome:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Also, I'm not gonna lie, I've bought my fair share of games solely based on the fact that they have cute anime girls in them. :awesome:

I may or may not have done the same. Got Rabi-Ribi on PHYSICAL disc cause well, bunny girl uh I mean, it's a rare game to have on physical disc. Among others....

And not sure if it counts but I bought every CE for the Tales of series. Can't stop at just getting the game you know. 

And I've also bought a couple CE games just for the figurine, like Uncharted 4 for Drake Statue. 

And God, now that I've just read that I've put down, my pocketbook must hate me. 

• Like 1