• No
    • I want to see it in person
  2. 2. Will you buy it?

• Yes, It's my first PS5
    • No, I already have one
    • I will change my Ps5 with this one
    • Where is the Pro model?!

That tiny blip is $30?! Is this a joke?

Is Sony slowly but surely trying to implement Apple's strategy that sells earphones and charging stuff separately?

At some point Sony will sell hdmi's separately as well (for another $30 😆), claiming it's because they care about eco?

Edited by theomgkitteh
  • Haha 1

Hard to tell how "Slim" it is based on the pics, so I'll wait for a comparison video (not a fan of having four cover panels).

It's nice to have a disc-drive accessory if the original fails, but I'm not liking the disc-less direction both PS and Xbox are going in. Soon the consoles will feel like cheaper PCs--which they are at this point--but I guess that's the future.

Looking forward for the Pro model.

1 minute ago, NullRay85 said:

Hard to tell how "Slim" it is based on the pics, so I'll wait for a comparison video (not a fan of having four cover panels).

It's nice to have a disc-drive accessory if the original fails, but I'm not liking the disc-less direction both PS and Xbox are going in. Soon the consoles will feel like cheaper PCs--which they are at this point--but I guess that's the future.

Looking forward for the Pro model.

There's new rumors going around that there will be two SKU's for the Switch 2 as well...one will be Digital only. The all-digital future is approaching faster that any of us like. 

• Like 2

I like the smaller form factor, since the orignal was rather bulky, but I'm honestly not a fan of the thick black line in the middle, and having the top half be glossy is a rather odd choice. The detachable disc drive is pretty cool, though; I like that it lets people upgrade their digital edition consoles if they so choose and makes potentially replacing a broken part no issue at all.

I just have to ask; what'll happen to the special PlayStation 5 cover plates they've been selling? Those are tailor-made to the original units. Will they stop being sold since the original PS5 has now effectively been discontinued, or will they roll out new cover plates made for this new console? Especially since they have new cover plates coming out soon...

• Like 1

Looks ugly and isnt a lot smaller so I'll be sticking with my original PS5.

It is the same decrease in size as the PS4 Slim to the OG PS4. 30%.

So it isn't a lot smaller. The size reduction is the same overall as last gen. Perhaps a side-by-side is needed for the less spatially adept.

Anywho. Having a PS5 that already has a perfectly fine space that it fits is, I don't see the need. If mine breaks? I have no special plates...so maybe then.

2 hours ago, theSpirae said:

Vertical stand sold separately... 

For those that have the old PS5.

The stand is included with new models.

dot dot dot.

Extremely good news. Not only will digital versions have a physical drive attachment that you can buy, but you'll be able to buy versions that come with the physical attachment already too at a discount. This is a very good thing for the continuing of physical media.

That said, this isn't something for those who already own a PS5 obviously. Something also that is going to be troublesome is all this talk of a Pro, which might just be a false rumour let's not forget, as it doesn't make the biggest of sense to go in on this if a Pro is coming sometime soon. Regardless though, this will be the normal version going forward which will be more profitable so it is win win for them.

• Like 1

Well this is good news for me. 🙂 I’ve held off upgrading to a PS5 for several reasons, with one of the biggest being the expectation that a Slim version would most likely be released sometime this year based on the timelines of Sony’s past Slim model rollouts in previous consoles. But it was beginning to look like that wasn’t going to happen and I was starting to think about grabbing one around Christmas season. Now that it’s been announced I am definitely planning to upgrade to next-gen in the coming months. 

1 hour ago, Solid-Fisch said:

We all know Sony's pattern and nobody is surprised as there were slim's coming since ps3. Looks good but there is zero need in getting one when you got a PS5 already. At the moment I even wouldn't buy a PS5Pro because I'm super fine with the performance of the PS5.

There are slim versions of each console, starting with the PS1.

44 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

For those that have the old PS5.

The stand is included with new models.

dot dot dot.

The announcement suggests that the new model will have separate stands for horizontal and vertical orientations:

A horizontal stand will be included with the new PS5 model. Also a new Vertical Stand compatible with all PS5 models will be sold separately