Rockstar Games just announced GTA VI - Trailer out now

Abby_TheLastofUs

Part of me thinks that the next GTA will setup like a Destiny style game; online connectivity required, single player and multiplayer integrated into the same world with different objectives based on your current mission goals, and the ability to see active players running their own missions in both single and multiplayer.  I think it's going to all be connected together instead of separate like GTA V.  Now, I'm not expecting a Destiny-like game, but it's the closest thing I can compare an integration of a single player experience with a live service persistent online universe.

Oh yes, we'll get microtransactions and if proven popular by launch, NFT's, but I'm in the camp that these don't impact my gaming fun.  I think over the years I bought one shark card and I enjoyed the advantage it provided, but without purchasing more cards it really never impacted the fun I was having when playing online. I guess for me, the grind is part of the fun and rewarding when you finally accomplish what you're looking to achieve.  Sure, nothings 100% and I don't like every type of microtransaction that has been implemented but overall they don't really affect me in most games, including GTA.

I also think this game has a long ways to go, like 4-5 years (2026 or later).  I read that they rebooted this game back in 2019 and with a massive game like GTA, it's going to take a long time to finish.  The amount of visual details and complex systems used to create a game of this scale and to have it all work well (and be fun!) will take a long time.  Another reason I think for the long delay is that they are updating and relaunching GTA V on current gen consoles in March...again for the 3rd generation!  I just don't think they would launch another enhanced GTA V and then launch GTA 6 a year or two later.  Time will tell if I'm correct or not, but even an enhanced version of an existing game, the shear size of GTA V will take a lot of developers a lot of time to complete when they could be working on the next GTA.  That tells me the next GTA has a lot of time left in the oven.

Edited by Paperclip1776
grammar update

Honestly not excited at all.  It's hard to get excited about something that is likely 3 years (or more) away, when all R* did to announce it was a casual tweet.  No title card, no official title, no screens, no info, no E3 reveal or anything like that..... not a single thing to actually generate excitement or get people engaging in constructive speculation.

I'm not even sure that I'll be buying it when it launches.  Maybe somewhere down the line, but not at launch.

With where Rockstar Games has gone, I'm not holding my breath for this game.

Will it break sale records? Very likely. Will it contain the same charm and edgy humor that the past games had? Very unlikely. I guess all those Shark Cards people have been buying have been used to fulfill the massive budget that GTA VI is definitely going to have.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Grand Theft Auto VI - Mega leak

Grand Theft Auto VI

> Alpha script - last updated: 30 jun. 2022

An entire summary of Rockstar’s free marketing.

Title: Grand Theft Auto VI

Developer: Rockstar Games

Publisher: Take-Two Interactive

Development: 2014

Engine: RAGE

Story length: ~4500 minutes

Story main characters: Ricardo (M), Casey (M), Rose (F)

Story map size: 140mi2

Map: ‘Liberty’ State, ‘Carcer’ City, ‘Vice’ City, ‘Cottonmouth’, (Prologue: South America)

Time setting: 2023

Production budget: 500,000,000 USD

Estimated sales (24h): 1,000,000,000 USD

Marketing budget incl. DTC: 100,000,000 USD

Planned announce reveal: Q3 2022

Planned release GEN9: Q4 2024

https://docs.google.com/document/u/4/d/e/2PACX-1vR6cVD2Hs63EDMNcV-Ud7c8QmSNi-kri-uQ3gi1ly0T4opFcVMmlrq1C0mwAz6wp0U4Zg11-D8okZZb/pub

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Jason Schreier reporting on the development of GTA VI

There were people concerned that GTA VI was going to be uncontroversial and not anger people. Given some of the details reported by Schreier, I can definitely see people losing their shit over this game. ?

Working conditions at Rockstar have also greatly improved and employee morale is higher than ever, so that's good to hear. 

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
  • Like 3

GTA VI will be very interesting.  Maybe less satire than normal as Bloomberg speculates.  Rednecks are always fair game but it sounds like a lot of groups may be protected in fear of backlash.

Perhaps more realistic is nature which could work out, we’ll see.

Playable woman in a GTA story mode? Great, about time!

Shitty and predatory live service structure permeating the story mode? Boo, but I knew that this would happen given their focus on GTA Online even to the detriment of Red Dead Redemption 2 post-launch. I'll still play the older games but I've long since given up any hope for anything good to come from Rockstar nowadays.

• Like 2

The single player campaign is just a necessary evil for R*. They are just making a big map to include more online content, sp will be shorter than IV, V.

Expect a big ''empty'' map with 30-40 missions, lack of vehicles and probably a bunch of collectibles.

And of course, after release they will expand this world online and screw the offline world, just like they did with V

Every year it got delayed, it feels loosing everything GTA is about. For me it now looks like Elden Ring, yeah, may be a decent familiar game, but far from what it was. 

As "some people", like it said in article, claimed "boy's club" is gone, and this is not about female protagonist at all, btw.

1 hour ago, sephiroth4424 said:

The single player campaign is just a necessary evil for R*. They are just making a big map to include more online content, sp will be shorter than IV, V.

Expect a big ''empty'' map with 30-40 missions, lack of vehicles and probably a bunch of collectibles.

And of course, after release they will expand this world online and screw the offline world, just like they did with V

sure. Cause red dead 2 is a short and empty singleplayer experience, with a focus on online ?

and GTA V is The biggest and best SP story of all GTA games. Maybe iv was up there, for its time, but still…

its so funny how people Will go out of their Way to hate rockstar for Selling Shake cards and make dlc and content for a game that makes Them Rich, and people keep playing…. 

lets be fair, rockstar makes The best and biggest singleplayer game (of their genre), even though you think they neglect singleplayer, thats pretty bad ass ?

4 minutes ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

Every year it got delayed, it feels loosing everything GTA is about. For me it now looks like Elden Ring, yeah, may be a decent familiar game, but far from what it was. 

As "some people", like it said in article, claimed "boy's club" is gone, and this is not about female protagonist at all, btw.

i agree we might lose some of The “we dont Care attitude”, and maybe it will be more woke, but maybe its not all bad. Life changes, and so does society. Humor 20 years ago CAN be dated and stupid today. 

im against going back and editing Old media, but growing and adapting with the times and the humor, is not always a bad thing ?

lets judge it when its released.

• Like 2

Grand Theft Auto dialing back being offensive is like South Park not telling crude jokes. GTA 6 is probably going to sell like hotcakes regardless but will be the final nail in the coffin of the franchise. Dan Houser, and many others left after RDR2. GTA V has been milked to death, and Rockstar ain’t the same company they used to be. I had a feeling with the censorship of the GTA remaster trilogy that the company was losing its touch. It’s just sad to see every gaming/movie/entertainment  franchise bow down to radical activists. These are games about getting hookers, and killing cops. But now they need to be careful of not pulling a Dave Chapelle. Society has become so sensitive, and everyone is walking on eggshells. I’ll just save my money. Just tired of hearing this endless bs everywhere.

2 hours ago, MissShake said:

Oh my... A woman being announced as a lead?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/80/25/96/802596ecf53b50875b76651ce03d4dd6.jpg

This thread is gonna be fun

Having a women protagonist isn’t a issue at all. The real issue how PC the developers are acting for a franchise infamous on pushing boundaries.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TomataEighty9 said:

i agree we might lose some of The “we dont Care attitude”, and maybe it will be more woke, but maybe its not all bad. Life changes, and so does society. Humor 20 years ago CAN be dated and stupid today. 

im against going back and editing Old media, but growing and adapting with the times and the humor, is not always a bad thing 1f60a.png

lets judge it when its released.

This is not about telling the same joke, it is about the way you joke. GTA 5 already at times sounded very sterile, though at times been much more dirty than any. Still saying it, summaring everything what has been said about the new game through looong development, and it most definitelly will not be as brutal, since humor today is not.

• Like 1

This Bloomberg article actually explains a lot in regards to the generic corporate shift from Rockstar over the years, and why lots of people who have been around from the beginning have just left. The good thing that came out of that corporate shift is better working conditions and I guess more money is Rockstars pocket, but that's basically it lol

What's concerning is that they're being told to not be so mean with the humor and satire now (in a Mature rated violent crime game) in the event they might hurt someone's feelings or something. The humor has been part of the soul of GTA games since basically the beginning, so it's pretty obvious that's going to be watered down.

Eh we'll see, even with a lack of humor & satire maybe the gameplay, characters, and story can still save the game they still have some good writers over there

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

This Bloomberg article actually explains a lot in regards to the generic corporate shift from Rockstar over the years, and why lots of people who have been around from the beginning have just left. The good thing that came out of that corporate shift is better working conditions and I guess more money is Rockstars pocket, but that's basically it lol

What's concerning is that they're being told to not be so mean with the humor and satire now (in a Mature rated violent crime game) in the event they might hurt someone's feelings or something. The humor has been part of the soul of GTA games since basically the beginning, so it's pretty obvious that's going to be watered down.

Eh we'll see, even with a lack of humor & satire maybe the gameplay, characters, and story can still save the game they still have some good writers over there

I still have have GTA3 and RISE FM, and doing a big jump over a ramp and watching a slowmo, at 3am.

YO! THIS IS GOING OUT TO THE LIGHTWEIGHTS SLEEPING IN THE BASEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2