The most overrated game/series?

StrickenBiged

2 hours ago, AFRising said:

Do I have to go through three whole games before I can appreciate what it supposedly promises to deliver on the fourth installment? Meh.

Actually no. You're introduced to three new characters (four if counting the epilogue), and as long as you know Nate, Sully, and Elena, you're good to go. You don't really need to have played the first three games to enjoy the 4th. It just helps you feel closer to the story. But yes, I felt Uncharted 4 was better than the majority of the trilogy (I still hold UC1 as being special for me, though the speedboat levels are trash). Now, if you want an unpopular opinion about UC4 or even UC:LL, some of the mechanics are rip-offs of Tomb Raider, such as the grappling and wall-pick (the thing you used to climb walls), as they were never featured in earlier games. Jumping onto enemies could be considered a rip, but still, what you might not like about UC4 is the requirement of having 70%+ accuracy throughout the whole game. 

That said, definitely give it a chance, as it will leave you with a new impression of the series. Go with Lost Legacy if you want a shorter experience, though there's some spoilers about UC4 within.  

1 hour ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Actually no. You're introduced to three new characters (four if counting the epilogue), and as long as you know Nate, Sully, and Elena, you're good to go. You don't really need to have played the first three games to enjoy the 4th. It just helps you feel closer to the story. But yes, I felt Uncharted 4 was better than the majority of the trilogy (I still hold UC1 as being special for me, though the speedboat levels are trash). Now, if you want an unpopular opinion about UC4 or even UC:LL, some of the mechanics are rip-offs of Tomb Raider, such as the grappling and wall-pick (the thing you used to climb walls), as they were never featured in earlier games. Jumping onto enemies could be considered a rip, but still, what you might not like about UC4 is the requirement of having 70%+ accuracy throughout the whole game. 

That said, definitely give it a chance, as it will leave you with a new impression of the series. Go with Lost Legacy if you want a shorter experience, though there's some spoilers about UC4 within.  

I see. That's what I usually hear from my friends, that Uncharted 4 is where the series really "grows up", so to speak. I will definitely check it out though; if anything it might surprise me since I'm going into it with very modest expectations. I'm sure I'll have fun, as previous games have delivered on that front.

• Like 1

Fifa. Love football with a passion but another pointless annual game. Cant blame ea tho. Make tons of money from sheep gamers that think they need to buy it year in year out even tho all thats changed are players and kits.

Its only ever worth buying the first entry of a new generation of consoles

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AFRising said:

I see. That's what I usually hear from my friends, that Uncharted 4 is where the series really "grows up", so to speak. I will definitely check it out though; if anything it might surprise me since I'm going into it with very modest expectations. I'm sure I'll have fun, as previous games have delivered on that front.

Just know that survival mode is a bitch, but if you only care about the plat, the worst you have to worry about is collectibles. Try renting the game if you can, and if you like it, then buy it. Def worth a shot. 

• Like 1

Honestly for me the most overrated series out there is kingdom hearts, but I have a more specific explanation: fanboys/fangirls/fans in general. 

I get the appeal of the series. It is "Disney is magic" paired with japanese delight. Cute idea, convoluted plot, god-king Goofy holding himself not to Hyuck everyone to oblivion, stuff like that. It's a good series. BUT it has its flaws. 

Only half of the games are actually good, the other mobile ported stuff are horrible (although someone told me DDD entry is badass, might be). Story, although convoluted, it's just overbloated at some points just for the sake of "wtf is happening effect". I mean it could use abit of finesse. But most importantly is how most people act like it's the second coming of games christ on the earth xD chill y'all, the series is not THAT good so that you can pick up the torches and forks and go witch hunt on anyone who disagrees. 

So yeah... What I am trying to say, series is around an 8/10, maybe 8,5/10 but definetly not 10/10 i will hunt your family  down if you disagree. That, and I wish to punch Sora in the neck, he is goddamn annoying as a main character. 

Honestly which series is properly rated after all? Maybe souls one? Since fans don't roll over(kek) to praise it to oblivion and back? 

• Like 2

Hands down its got to be horizon: zero dawn for me. Everythings just average except for the story, legit one of the worst fictional stories in general(this includes books, movies,tv,etc.) I have ever expierenced. I would call it babys first scifi because it comes off like the writers haven't dabbeled in the genre in there spare time and it shows with the amount of logic fallacies and plot holes that at no point could i take it serious and just cotinued to see how bad it could get.

• Like 3

Most overrated game, I would say Braid. Not only is this piece of shit game just Super Mario but with the ability to rewind time, it basically started the whole indie epidemic. Everything about it just makes me sick, the pretentiousness of the developer thinking that his fucking platformer game's story could not "be explained by words" when it's just Super Mario, you go get the princess but wow what if, get this, what if the princess is actually running away from you bro.... 93/100 in Metacritic.

Also the ending is hidden behind collectibles which are jigsaw puzzle pieces scattered across every level.. Just what the fuck was happening in 2009, I didn't get the praise this game got back then, and I do not get it now, what went through people's heads? Just go on miniclip and play a Mario clone you'll literally have a better time. Just thinking about these text boxes before every level "We have to forgive. I made a mistake and I have to learn to forgive. Forgiveness means so much. I know I cannot be forgiven but I have to learn from my mistakes and forgive." SHUT THE FUCK UP. "Omg dude you just don't get it, actually the game is the equivalent of punk rock, it deconstructs the entire genre and it's actually about nuclear non-proliferation if you think about this met-" SHUT. THE. FUCK. UP. 

After reading reviews I'm actually starting to believe this game causes brain damage, can't explain it otherwise, if you ever want to feel like absolute shit and dead inside, go ahead, download and play it, I won't stop you. Oh yeah and most overrated game series is Bioshock, but it's not actually bad enough for me to feel like I have to explain my reasoning.

• Like 1

So are overhyped and overrated the same? Aren't all games with a lot of fans overrated? Is a game like Metro: Exodus underrated because people did a boycot and make the rating go down or does that not count?

The Division.

Why you ask? It got announced way too early, and people where hyping it up so much, it was gonna be great. E3 showed us a beautiful game with all kinds of cool things in it and nice locations, with a very cool plot and story to it...

How much of that was actually in the game on release? maybe 55% dare I say 60% It just did not live up to all the hype that was created.

There's not really anything I remember from the story, since it was all over the place. Ofcourse it was fun to play with friends while it lasted.

Then they decided to destroy the game with patches and fixed stuff that wasn't broken. I guess that's why they kept a lot quiet when The Division 2 launched. Also is it just me or did they borrow the soundclips for the weapons from Watch_Dogs.

• Like 3

Grand Theft Auto series. It may have 'revolutionised sandbox' gaming or whatever but realistically they all play like shit compared to games that came out around the same time visually and physically. The stories aren't of the quality that people say they are. Each story is extremely cliche, predictable and uninteresting. Most of the content is copied from previous games and isn't at all creative/innovative. The entire series' controls have been senseless with every new title. Driving mechanics is woeful from GTA3 to GTA 4. GTA is fun to piss around in but taking it seriously and trying to actually complete them and rating the game as a whole, GTA series is nothing but average. I feel GTA 5 has more character and innovation especially with the early stages of GTA Online (Online isn't my cup of tea anymore though as i'm sick of getting blown to bits by flying bikes, cars, death machines and anything else that flies faster with rockets attacked to it than what you can afford - mainly just to piss people off but that is GTA Online after all). But I haven't understood the love behind each title and I don't think I ever will. I feel R* other titles RDR, LA Noire and Max Payne 3 are all more enjoyable.

Edited by Last-_-Judgment

This is a tough one. I'm not sure what I answered before, but my list is the following:

1.  Final Fantasy X - Lots of praise for this one, but outside of the great graphics, a lot of the game felt like a back-step from the superior FFIX. Little control of your character (you walk in a line for pretty much the whole game), a piss-poor airship (it's really just a town selection, like you might find in a Neptunia game), and some of the whiniest voices you'll ever get in a game. I enjoyed the game, but felt it signaled something of a lazy turn for Square, where graphics outweighed gameplay.
  2. Red Dead Redemption - Unlike FFX, I don't like this game at ALL. The shooting action is loose and not really that fun. The control, while better than earlier (e.g. PS2-era) Rockstar entries, is still mediocre, and the missions ultimately feel repetitive and bland. I did like the story of the game, but I don't play games to watch movies. It took all of my energy simply to finish this game, and outside of a single trophy, I've never bothered to go back to it.
  3. Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2) - I could deal with Kojima's excesses on MGS and MGS2, because I really enjoyed the gameplay. But when I picked up MGS3 on day 1, I was shocked at just how much I hated it. The game really touted its camouflage system, but for me, with the archaic top-down view, I couldn't see anything but grass. Seriously, I couldn't even get out of the first bit of the game, because I'd get eaten by a gator that I couldn't see, etc. I hated that game. Playing its later iteration on the PS3, a lot was improved, but it still fell far short for me from the fun of MGS, the silliness of MGS2, or the "let's put a bit of every game ever!" excesses of MGS4. And to this day, I've STILL never figured out CQC, and this is despite having completed the game on the PS3.
  4. Tim Schafer - What, he's not a game? Well, he gets his own listing, because he's TERRIBLE. Seriously, a relic that should be put in a museum, his games are the pits, and the idea that people still think anything of him is amazing to me.

The clear answer should be (4), but since we're talking games here, I'm going to go with (3). It wins a tight one with RDR, but at least I managed to finish the original release of RDR. By comparison, I didn't even find my first human base on the PS2 version of MGS3, and never really wanted to.

• Like 1

Personally for me, just about every first party Nintendo game. Legend of Zelda had never stood out to me as anything other than your average action/adventure game. Fire Emblem isn't even remotely the best strategy game out there. People are suckered in with the "difficulty" and permadeath but I've never seen anything special. 

The worst offender to me is smash bros. A party game with a legion of fans wanting to pretend they're playing a fighting game. I'm not a fighting game master but I have quite a few friends in the FGC whom actually compete in tournaments that I visit and the smash community is universally despised and their competitors are some of the whiniest and most entitled sacks of garbage I've ever had to witness

• Like 1

Gosh, there are a few I can think of:

- every fighting game: mortal kombat, tekken, ... 

- fifa: same thing every year. Agreed, there may be some updates, like say graphics, but still the games are just the same. The last one that I bought full price for was fifa 14. Bigges mistake buy ever.

- GTA games

- Lego games. Specially those with the anoying noises instead of talking

- indie games in general

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Tim Schafer - What, he's not a game? Well, he gets his own listing, because he's TERRIBLE. Seriously, a relic that should be put in a museum, his games are the pits, and the idea that people still think anything of him is amazing to me.

Broken Age was at least a super easy platinum lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SHADOW-KILLER-S2 said:

''Souls'' games. Who ever thought it was fun to have extremely hard bosses where you die if you get hit twice and have save point so far off that you can lose hours of progress if you die.

Nobody likes to have wasted time and have no progress.

To make matters worse, every game nowadays seem to borrow something from the ''souls'' games and have ruined some good series. (looking at you Darksiders 3 and even God of War 2018)

Because of the ''souls'' games my favorite genre has been killed off, namely the God of War 3 clones. There were alot of them on ps3 like: Dante's Inferno, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Darksiders 1 and 2, Asura's Wrath, etc. but they dont seem to exist anymore on ps4.

Hope this trend of everything has to be like ''souls'' dies off soon because i dont want that bullshit in my favorite games.

Also dont like how it looks, so generic and dark.

This

• Like 2