What's your best/worst gaming purchase of 2017?

kidson2004

The best overall gaming purchase I made this year was a bundle: PS4 Pro with a vertical stand, Gran Turismo SPORT Day 1 Edition & GTA V. With deals, trades and discounts, I ended up getting it for virtually nothing!

The best game I have purchased and played this year would have to be Horizon Zero Dawn. I'd go as far to say it's my game of the year. Please note that I haven't had a chance to play Persona 5 or Nier Automata yet.

The worst gaming purchase I made this year would easily be Assassin's Creed Origins: Gods Edition. The one that comes with the statue. Great game, but a bad purchase. My local gaming store (EB Games) decided they would copy the rest of the world and have a Black Friday sale. The game with the statue was half price just 3 weeks after launch.

Hindsight ay?

The best value gaming purchase I bought this year is another easy one. The Team 17 Indie Collection. It comes with the 8 games listed below:

-The Escapists

-The Escapists: The Walking Dead

-Overruled

-Schrodingers Cat

-Penarium

-Sheltered

-Beyond Eyes

-L.A. Cops

Normally priced at $105.95 AUD, I got it for about $15 during a really good sale. I'd like to give an honourable mention to Battlefield 4 Premium Edition which bundles the game and season pass. Got that for $15 AUD over the weekend as well.

Edited by MattyH16
  • Like 1

Best Purchase of 2017 has to be Nier Automata hands down i have never been so captivated in a game in recent memory as i have with this title. Other titles include Horizon Zero Dawn and Killzone Shadowfall too!

worst purchase of 2017 it makes me so sad to say is Destiny 2 i am (or at least was now) a hardcore Destiny 1 fan loved the game despite its flaws but gosh Destiny 2 is just bad i wish i never bought the deluxe edition. 

Edited by DarkSoleride

Bought a ps4 this year so this is a hard one as I've been playing almost all exclusive ps4 titles ?

BEST PS4:  

Absolute Winner this year for me and probably since 2015: - Uncharted games - 1,2,3,4 + lost legacy. These games were so amazing <3 

Shout out for me this year AAA Games: - Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of us Remasted, South Park the Fractured but whole and Evil Within 2

Worst PS4:

Assassins Creed 2. Controls make me triggered so much.

The only game I stopped going platinum for this year.

Best Indie game this year:

Cat Quest.

Special shout out to the worst game I bought the past years <3 

Tekken 7. Bought this on PC including a collectors edition. Rip wallet for a game that I hate

Best :  Nioh , i had 400 hours playtime totaly, best game 2017 imo. Yakuza 0 was awesome as well .

Worst:  crash bandicoot trilogy, played em on ps 1 as well. But they changed few things on the ps 4 version, so i didnt like it. But i still bought it for the memories.

I'm surprised nobody listed buying the DOOM Season Pass when it was 75% off a couple weeks before it went free (without prior warning, obviously) as their worst purchase. To top it all off, people who didn't launch the game yet literally have their purchase negated because the armour that you supposedly bought doesn't unlock and you have to grind it along with everyone else. Pretty sure it's impossible to top that, it's the only case I can think where one paid 10€ for literally nothing.

Best : Probably a toss up between Mass Effect Andromeda or the 70$ I've put into Warframe lol, I know it's not really a purchase but it was definitely the best money I've spent on a game this year. Also, I picked up KH2.5 this year, can't believe I almost forgot about that.

Worst : Probably Destiny 2. I actually enjoyed the game alot and don't hate it nearly as much as others but I was expecting a lot more and it just wasn't there, I was expecting a game that would keep me hooked for months. Thank god Warframe picked up the slack.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 1

Best:

Night in the Woods - Was really tempted by this game for some reason. Beautiful storytelling, superb OST. Can def. give this one a recommendation if you liked story games like Life is Strange, Oxenfree, etc. You will not be disappointed.

Yakuza 0 & Kiwami - Both very solid crime-drama story games with neat beat-em-up like gameplay. You´ll spend hours and hours trying to fully complete this one, but it´ll all be worth it. Both games are usually quite cheap too, as they tend to go on sale every now & then. 

Gran Turismo Sport - Was originally very put-off by this title due to it being a whole ton different compared to other GTs, but after picking it up from a Black Friday sale, my opinion on the game definitely changed, with the online mode being very fun to play, with the exception of a few other online drivers here & there. Combining that with the upcoming cars, tracks and other stuff to be added in the future, It is definitely a game to be looking out for.

Worst

Surprisingly, almost nothing. Worst purchase has to be Friday the 13th though. It´s a super clunky game that doesn´t have any appeal to it at all. Slow-paced, boring, all the other stuff. Don´t get the appeal about it, but have to admit, the only good part was probably the weird glitches that occured throughout my time with the game, but glitches don´t make a game better.

Best: I bought a lot of games this year and only very rarely at full price. Even though I have yet to play it, I would say Tekken 7 Collector's Edition for $39.99. That statue will look awesome on my trophy wall (once I get the platinum).

Worst: I would say Wet on PS3, I really thought I would like it but the controls are goofy and camera angles are problematic at best. At least I only paid $8 but the multiple playthrus required for platinum is gonna suck.  .  .

Thread trend comment: A LOT more hate for Destiny 2 in this thread than I anticipated. Thanks for sharing,  so glad I didn't jump on board the hype train on that one.

• Like 1

This year was quite special and the best overall purchase was getting the PS Vita.

Best gaming purchases were getting some great RPGs:

The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel series I and II, Persona 5, Persona 4 Golden, NIER, YS Memories of Celceta, Atelier Rorona series games and Star Ocean 4.

Worst gaming purchase was probably Alpha Protocol. It is a decent game but least favorite for this year.

Best:

- I bought a White PS Vita Slim and i like it so much more than my old fat model.

- Horizon Zero Dawn, Game of the year for me, i regret not buying the collectors edition.

- Assassin's Creed Origins Gods edition, i was holding off on the purchase for a month cos i wasnt expecting it to be good after Unity and Syndicate, despite the fact that i love ancient Egypt and Rome. It was a mistake cos it is a very good game and i havent enjoyed an AC game this much since AC 2.

Worst:

- Chaos Child   I was expecting something as brilliant as Steins Gate, its not even close, although its not a bad VN, but i regret buying it for a full price. It also has a lot of typos and names mixed up in the text, even after the patch which was supposed to fix them.

- Tales From the Borderlans  Its a very good game and i enjoyed it a lot, however i bought the physical copy like 2 weeks before we got it for free in PS+...

Best: 

FIFA 18 - I buy FIFA every year for me it's my favorite game series so thats why.

Worst

Metro Redux - I bought while there was sale at a store of get 3 games and pay only two. but i only played for something like 20 min. and then I was already done with it everything was horrible about it. in my opinion.

Best: Yakuza 0/Kiwami and Horizon Zero Dawn. Still have Nioh and The Evil Within 2 on the shelf that are potentially on this list and I'm sure Nier Automata would be on it aswell if I'd have found a nice sale on black friday ?.

Worst: I guess Far Cry Primal. Not that bad of a game, but I just didn't have any really bad purchases.

Edited by Ric

Best: day of infamy on PC for half off during fall sale, I'm in love with that game right now.

For PlayStation: horizon zero Dawn of course, hand of fate 2 is super fun, steamworld dig 2, and shadow of war

Worst?  Did somebody say knnnnaaaaccckkkkk?????

Seriously though, knack 2, Styx shards of darkness, and that steaming pile of feces planet of the apes the last frontier....oh and don't forget about the bigger pile of feces Madden 18. 

Best:

A used Ride to Hell: Retribution with a working DLC code in case for a dollar.

And a mint copy of Shadow Complex Remastered for the PS4 to complete my Limited Run Games library.

Worst:

Destiny 2. Yet again I fell for Bungie's broken promises...

Wolfenstein 2 failed to deliver after the first Wolfenstein that was my Game Of The Year way back.

• Like 1

Best: The GameStop Game Pass. Spent $60 the first day of the soft launch. One day later? It was canceled. Got my $60 refund and I was able to keep the first game I had picked up (Final Fantasy XV) *AND* got a coupon for a free pre-owned game, which I turned into Middle-Earth: Shadow of War (enjoyed the first game, getting this one for free was awesome). So for $60 I got over $100 of value, including my $60 back. 

Nothing will top THAT for value. 

Worst: Bought Metal Gear Solid V on sale in July. Didn't get around to it and look what hits PS+ one month later? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dog_of_Thunder said:

Best: The GameStop Game Pass. Spent $60 the first day of the soft launch. One day later? It was canceled. Got my $60 refund and I was able to keep the first game I had picked up (Final Fantasy XV) *AND* got a coupon for a free pre-owned game, which I turned into Middle-Earth: Shadow of War (enjoyed the first game, getting this one for free was awesome). So for $60 I got over $100 of value, including my $60 back. 

Nothing will top THAT for value. 

Is this the power pass thing that let you have free unlimited rentals? It was canceled?

Anyway, for me, it was a pretty good year of purchases, but probably I would say:

BEST: Toss up between Dragon Quest Heroes and Axiom Verge. I got both on the cheap, and both offered a ton of fun. In fact, I bought a second copy of Axiom Verge just to support Tom Happ, and I bought Dragon Quest Heroes II just yesterday.

WORST: Probably Toro or Taco Master. Even if both were cheap (Toro was already highly discounted, and Taco Master is just cheap all the time), both games were awful. There's no excuse for a game to be that bad.

I had a great year of gaming so far!

Best: Im going to have to say Tales Of Berseria and Zestiria I had alot of fun playing those games.

Worst: none really, I have a good eye for games that are good or games that I will enjoy and I wont buy games that I know I will not like for example I dont tend to buy games at release for money reasons and well I dont know if I will like it or not lol cept Dynasty Warriors xD