Games you regret buying. Why?

dermarx

13 minutes ago, Muur1993 said:

Lol, someone sure didn't pay attention to the names of games. When they said "like the other games", they meant the World games. The "other games" weren't referring to Story games, or else they'd say "It's like the more recent games" or something. They meant they were going back to their roots of V-Pets

STORY Hackers Memory is the game youre looking for (released January 2018), which is the direct sequel to STORY Cyber Sleuth (and uses the same turn based gameplay). Not WORLD Next Order, which is a direct sequel to WORLD one. 

They were localised incorrectly. The World games are World one, Re:Digitize, Championship and Next Order. Dawn, Dusk, DS and World 2/3 are Story games

World is V-Pets, Story is turn based RPG. this is on you. You don't go buy Pokemon Mystery Dungeon expecting to fight gyms, or Mario Kart expecting to jump on shit

All you had to do was read one article or see one video of it to know it wasn't a turn based RPG

Cool story bro.

• Like 2

As a few have  said the only time I can recall regretting a game purchase is when a game I've just bought has a price drop shortly afterwards. I bought Blue Reflection at full price and next thing I know the price drops by 50% but beyond that I'm so particular about what I buy that I haven't had any game I regret buying at all

Edited by majob

Euro Fishing. I enjoyed Farming Simulator as something to relax to while listening to podcasts etc, but then the game didn't really take that long to plat in retrospect. I think it'll take me a few years to finish Euro Fishing. And they've added nearly 10 DLCs since I bought it which ruined my completion rate a bit.

Other than that I guess maybe Far Cry 2, and Telltale's Walking Dead S2 + 400 Days DLC (played the latter on ios)

(Just realised I already posted :facepalm:)

Edited by Charizarzar

I would say Ezio Collection, I played AC2, good memories and all but as soon as I opened the map in Brotherhood I stopped playing it...I wont go through that chore of a game.
Trackmania Turbo, Jesus! As a member of the Cobra Unit once said: the pain!!!!
Zero Dawn, tldr; I kept thinking "if you throw some skin to those bots...there isn't really anything new here". 

On 5/10/2018 at 7:02 PM, Neef-GT5 said:

I usually check before buying a game so I know what to expect.

But I was soooo disappointed by Gravity Rush on Vita. What I had read about it was globally positive, yet I never managed to get into the story, quite dull in my opinion, and the game controls felt really awful. I had nice expectations on it and it turned out to be my biggest regret, by far...

I was also a bit disappointed by the Prince of Persia reboot on PS3, mostly because it was extremely repetivive with a strange combat system, but it was also really cheap (got it for 10€) so I can't say it's a game I actually regret buying.

Funny how your expectations can influence your judgment - I had never played any Ratchet game before and I really enjoyed this one: handsome graphics, globally funny, good combat system with really f***ed up weapons... Really a good game in my opinion.

Well I am glad you enjoyed it! You do bring up the good points, such as combat was really good (as it always was) and the graphics were amazing. As a fan i would always take a screenshot when I would land on a planet since they looked exactly like the original just with next gen graphics! Its just with me personally the bad out weighed the good and for a PS4 title and as a next gen R&C game I expected a lot more from Insomniac as it just felt like they didn't put any effort into bringing the series into the next level aside for graphics; but again just my opinion. 

• Like 1

Final Fantasy XIII

Well, I would have bought it eventually, but I do regret buying it on release.

And I never buy games on release usually, probably just 3 in my lifetime.

Edited by albajos

AO International Tennis....$50 USD wasted.

I spent around 500 hours on TE Elbow 2013, and over 1000 hours in Virtua Tennis 4 PC Online. I don't think I will get 1/10th of that from the poor online. Every player I play is lagged.

Probably should have waited for TWT. 

Gameplay is probably the worst Tennis Simulation game. EA GS 2 was at least better in timing while moving.

In AO Tennis...you crawl when trying to return. It like the player is holding shit in their pants. When you are playing doubles and you are the net.  It takes forever to back to the baseline.  There are doubles pro who don't have a net person in the beginning. 

Get aced a lot on harder difficulties...due to crawl.

You can't transition when hitting your ball. Your locked in place. AI passes you perfectly each time, they can tee off smashes. 

Platinum is 12 hours or so. Career Mode has no trophies, not really going to invest much time into it. 

On 5/3/2018 at 10:58 PM, killivincent said:

World of Final Fantasy.. I bought it day one. I expected a wonderful game, celebrating all Final Fantasys.. And just got a Pokemon/Ni no Kuni rip off. The super annoying main characters did not made it any better. Only good thing about the game was the cute graphics and that it has japanese voice acting. But, as a Final Fantasy fan, I just had to platinum it, even though the game is shit.

Oh noes. I still have a sealed physical copy of WoFF I got day one because there was a Square Enix promotion offering maid and butler costumes for FFXIV. Though now that I've heard the game isn't that good and my expectations are low, maybe I will be positively surprised when I start playing it. *hopeful thinking*

Edited by Eyjabria

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

Oh noes. I still have a sealed physical copy of WoFF I got day one because there was a Square Enix promotion offering maid and butler costumes for FFXIV. Though now that I've heard the game isn't that good and my expectations are low, maybe I will be positively surprised when I start playing it. *hopeful thinking*

Well, I think it's all about personal preference. It is nice to see Final Fantasy characters all around the game and the japanese voices! ?

It just dissapointing that you fight using monsters and story is mehhh..

But, who knows, maybe you will enjoy it more than me. :)

On 5/13/2018 at 1:08 PM, Eyjabria said:

On 5/13/2018 at 2:31 PM, killivincent said:

Well, I think it's all about personal preference. It is nice to see Final Fantasy characters all around the game and the japanese voices! 1f60a.png

It just dissapointing that you fight using monsters and story is mehhh..

But, who knows, maybe you will enjoy it more than me. :)

Personally, I really liked World of Final Fantasy, obviously, I wrote the guide.  I think it's cute.  It's a cute Final Fantasy game with a side of monster collection and evolving.  Maybe it was because I didn't go into it with any expectations, but I did really enjoy it.  It was much shorter than a mainline FF game but still fun. 

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose I’ll add Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture. 

Awful trophy list. Had to play through 4 - 5 times because I messed up on finding all the orange radios. 

Paid the full price for this game only to see it offered on Plus not too long after. Probably could of waited until then. 

Plus this gave me motion sickness, and had to take breaks inbetween.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

I pretty much have buyer's remorse about everything if that counts. My backlog is ridiculous and I figure I'll probably expire before I actually get around to all of it. And yet I keep buying new games. I recently acquired Monster Hunter World. I've never played the others and my pedantic, completionist nature demands that I play as many of the previous ones as I can before this one. When am I gonna have time for that???

• Like 1

I have only two, Call of Duty: Ghosts and Driver: San Francisco.

I don't even know what I was thinking when I picked them up in the first place, Ghosts was boring and Driver, while fun I didn't get as much of fun of it as I was hoping for.

I later traded them in for Fallout: New Vegas and Dishonoured: Game of The Year Edition.

I generally do a good amount of research and know what I'll like in advance, so not many things have failed for me. Yet, I still bought GTAIV close to release and god, that game is really not very good at all. The story is mediocre, the driving controls are abysmal and the gunplay ain't great either. I didn't enjoy San Andreas either so I'm not sure why I even bothered, maybe I just held out hope that they'd make another Vice City but no, they just made trash.

I guess I also regret buying Skyrim. Started out pretty fun but by the time I got platinum it was tedious and kept breaking on me. Not quite as bad as New Vegas or FO3 in regards to crashes, but also not nearly as enjoyable either. Frankly the game sucks, the main story is the most boring, bog standard garbage you can imagine and the levelling and combat systems are terrible, plus the whole damn game looks and feels the exact same no matter what you're doing. Some of the side stories like the Mage College stuff is alright, but so much of it isn't worth bothering with. How people can spend hundreds of hours playing it I just don't understand.

Other than that, nothing comes to mind. Maybe some of the games that I bought years ago but still haven't played I guess, but eh, I'll get round to them at some point.

• Like 1

Dark Souls Remastered

I recently finished Bloodborne and I absolutely loved it, it's become one of my all time favorite games so I decided I wanted more and bought Dark Souls Remastered. Unfortunately, while Bloodborne was immensely fun to play DSR is just boring, everything is so slow and clunky compared to Bloodborne. Playing it feels like just a tedious chore. I'm not sure if I'm going to finish it and if I am, I'm definitely not doing it without a guide.

At the moment, LocoRoco Remastered. It's just not very fun. The initial novelty wears off long before the end of World 1, there's no rhyme or reason to the level design, exploration is as likely to screw you as reward you, and as far as trophies go, it's a collectible-fest of the worst kind. I hate abandoning games so I'm going to get to the end, but it's a slog. Which is a shame, because the visual and audio design is delightful. 

On 05/06/2018 at 10:19 PM, Janire1911 said:

Dark Souls Remastered

I recently finished Bloodborne and I absolutely loved it, it's become one of my all time favorite games so I decided I wanted more and bought Dark Souls Remastered. Unfortunately, while Bloodborne was immensely fun to play DSR is just boring, everything is so slow and clunky compared to Bloodborne. Playing it feels like just a tedious chore. I'm not sure if I'm going to finish it and if I am, I'm definitely not doing it without a guide.

Try Dark Souls III, if anything. It's still slower than Bloodborne but it's waaaay faster than any of the other Souls games. They very obviously took a bunch of elements from Bloodborne for the combat system in DSIII. That and it's generally just a great game.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably have few more that I can't remember because of huge backlog of both purchased & Plus games, but there's one stands out for me: Assassin's Creed: The Eizo Collection

At the time, I had relatively recently bought PS4 and had a friend of mine who had a PS4 but couldn't afford to buy many games due to schoolwork. So I had hooked him up to my account so he could access any of my bought & plus titles to play. But I didn't have any AC games on PS4, even though I'd recommended the series to him couple of times. So when I saw the collection on sale, I bought it mostly for him and I figured that I'd also play it at later time as I had enjoyed the original trilogy (for the most part).

In end he never played it and I eventually had to restore my account to my PS4, and I never played it either. It's still on my PS4 HD, untouched.

On 5.06.2018 at 2:08 AM, Spaz said:

I suppose I’ll add Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture. 

Awful trophy list. Had to play through 4 - 5 times because I messed up on finding all the orange radios. 

Paid the full price for this game only to see it offered on Plus not too long after. Probably could of waited until then. 

Plus this gave me motion sickness, and had to take breaks inbetween.

So fucking true.

Now after a while, I can safely name a few of those games... Crysis 1 - boring as fuck, this game in 2018 has nothing to offer to be honest... AC 3 - the worst AC in the entire series imo. But I'll force myself to play it only because my goal is to complete the entire frenchise. Beyond: Two Souls - I literally felt asleep while playing this game, I guess Navaho chapter. And I wasn't tired at all. And last but not least - Ressistance 2. This game is awful. Just awful for me. I will never even finish the capaign. So glad that R3 is much better and story has so little in common with this garbage.