Which is better? More platinums, or rarer platinums? (Plat Cast Topic)

Bushido7745785

I prefer rarity over quantity. I’m not going to waste money on a 10 minute platinum, there’s no pleasure in earning that, unless the game is free like Cohan Exhiles. To each their own, but I feel it lessens the value of a collection. But it really doesn’t matter at the end of the day does it? 

Rarity and quantity of plats are completely irrelevant metrics. The thing that matters is the number of achievers. If the plat doesn't have a ton of achievers, then clearly you're playing a bad game. If it was any good, then clearly a ton of other people would've bothered to plat it too.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mrsoy89 said:

If you play games to impress strangers online then fair enough to go for rare platinums. If you play solely for numbers to say "oooh look how many I have" then that's fair enough too. Each their own. I personally do both. But rarity itself has never been my main focus. My rare ones have just come naturally. I just like trophies lol

This! 

I do both. I play the easy plat games mostly to kill time while traveling. I have to admit, most of them are crap (there are few gems though), but cheap and i can download them on purpose even with crappy airport inet. 

Most of my ultrarares came naturally, only because i liked the game AND there are a lot of (rare and ultrarare) games i plated years after I got the first trophy, mostly because I am lazy, got frustrated, got bored, didnt had the time, or i didnt want to play through the same game 3 or 4 times within a week only to get a plat. 

Well I used to be impressed when I would see someone with many platinums in the latest updated bar thingy. Now I'm like, well it's probably just a bunch of stacks. And I'm almost always right. I mean I don't really care; people can play what they want and it's their time and money they are spending. For myself, I thought I was doing alright with my profile, but looking it over, I don't really have a lot of "impressive" platinums myself (on this account at least) I play what I want and I platinum what I have time for. I'm going to be getting my #75 milestone in the next day or two (Mortal Kombat 11), then I'm going to stop caring so much because the novelty is finally starting to wear off a bit. I do want to get some ultra rare plats that I had on my old profiles such as 3D Dot Game Heroes but damn, I'm not even sure I could do that one again. I'll still go for completions but I'm more concerned about my growing backlog and my reluctance to play my games until other stuff is done, etc.

Edited by coldsphinx93

Platinums that require effort are far better to look back with your collection and will be a lot more memorable than having a bunch of worthless platinums that took 10 minutes each to get to inflate platinum count

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Better for what? To impress people? That would require actually caring about the opinions of others, which makes your own life being dependant on random strangers, which can be bad and personally I recommend avoiding. Just be the master of your own life and enjoy every moment of it, as there are no replays nor continues in that game.

Who said it was for someone else?  I read the OP as being which you prefer for yourself.

• Like 1

My personal opinion (what is best for me) is many/some rare platinums (as rare as possible) combined with many less rare. I wouldn't choose. If still had to choose then I think rarity comes first. But it doesn't need to be platinums either... a really rare (and really  really tough) 100 % like let us say Cloudberry Kingdom would feel better than pretty much any platinum. But as TheYuriG say, you should play for your own sake of fun and not to impress other people. Pretty much anybody (at least adults or older kids/teens) DGAF if a randoom person got 250 platinums really. But if you really enjoy "collecting" those trophies just like collecting stamps, pokémon cards, movies or anything else. And if you can still make out a living by collecting trophies all day long. Nobody can stop you. 

I just plat games that i enjoy... easy, hard, storytelling or whiteknuckle combat.

And if i double stack, its cause i loved them twice as much.

In the end, nobody cares about your profile as much as you do yourself, so it really doesn't matter.

Mix it up any way you like, end of the day we all enjoy the same hobby

• Like 1

I think having a good mix is the best way to go. It's lovely to see that high number of sweet platinums on your trophy card but also a rarer platinum can feel more fulfilling as you can often feel almost like you're in a more exclusive club of people who have beat that game. Ultimately it depends on your preference but I prefer a good mix

Great question, that should be addressed regarding someone's abilities and bragging rights (and let's be clear - it's all about bragging rights). I've scrolled through dozens of profiles that have many platinum's only to discover a lot of them are easy games beaten in under 2 hours and getting different regional versions to increase that number. Those people only care about the number next to the platinum trophy icon.

I'm different in that I only play games I want, regardless if the platinum is hard or not. I can look at my Twisted Metal platinum with gratification because I worked hard to get it. It had only 0.29% when I earned it. And still has less than 1% earning. Since online servers have since closed, I know I am one of the few who will ever have that platinum. 

To answer the question: quality over quantity. 

If there was a new leaderboard list, determined by who had the most "VERY RARE" platinum's, it would distinguish the hardcore players from the ones who only care about the numbers. It might even encourage a new level of competition, since the leaderboards aren't very impressive anymore.

Edited by PlanetCheat
Updated

Personally I play games that interest me, it's not like a rare game = difficult. Last Guardian is like a 3% plat or something like that and it's very easy - but it's super annoying. Many games with online trophies are like this too, it doesnt take any skill to do a boost group and trade kills... 

But yeah if all the games you have on your list are 5 minute games then I don't see how that is fun but YMMV 

3 hours ago, Feral said:

Quality looks better when viewing profiles. But when it comes to my own plats, fun is all that matters.

Holy shit is this...’Feral_Aussie’ (?)...from PS3T? I used to use that site in like 2010 and remember you. I literally just signed up here, randomly clicked on some forum post on the sidebar, and bam I see your name. 

Also sorry for posting here, my browser won’t load properly so I can’t DM you. 

To answer the thread, # of plats doesn’t really impress me - tho I will briefly marvel at hauls that are in the hundreds. I respect the dedication but skill is what I truly value. When it comes to my own profile, I enjoy both. 

I just play the games I want to play. I dont really take any notice of the rarity until I check my progress on my profile ? just game how you want to game... you enjoy collecting as many Platinums as possible thats fine, if you enjoy harder Platinums thats fine, if you dont care about trophies at all thats also fine ? there is no right or wrong way to play games

• Like 1

8 hours ago, djb5f said:

Who said it was for someone else?  I read the OP as being which you prefer for yourself.

No one said, that's why there were question marks in my posts. Opinion is subjective regardless, there are no betters or worses.

• Like 1