Upcoming Trophy levelling changes detailed

Aranea Highwind

1 hour ago, Wavergray said:

So the picture on the blog post shows someone with 24 plats and 2100-ish trophies at level 24. So there is some new point scaling calculation.

I wonder if the scale plateaus like it does now or does it keep scaling all the way to 999?

PS4FunctionScreen_EN.jpg?resize=1088,612

For reference, this profile would be level 16 in the old system (check my profile for eerie similarity).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, charxsetsuna said:

So will this break the ps3 and vita trophy system? They only mentioned ps4 and ps5. I hope it's just a case of the ps3 not being able to display the new levels.

Those still work with offlilne systems, I don't see how this could break those. The level number just won't align in a worst case scenario.

1 minute ago, Klart said:

Well, yeah, but there are also ten new levels now that are clear immediately: the new icons. So a new icon is kinda cool to strive for.

those are pretty cool but they could have done that anyway  and instead of using the hundred levels like now they just did a new icon every 10 levels.

They could also have done both options like increase the max to 999 like now  but just require half of the points to level up which would effectivly double your current level.

on avarage levels should increase now by a factor 10  which is just insane  its just like in games like disgae leveling up  from 1500 to 2300 or so just doesnt feel rewarding at all.

guess we will see what happens but to be fair I think this might be the end for me with the hunting. I am gonna give it a shot but i think this will take my interest away from it.

2 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I guess it depends on how much of a crap they give about their older generation tech really. I mean, you can sorta see why they wouldn't considering the age of the PS3 and VITA, their official retirement and that they are fully focusing on supporting PS4 and PS5 now in tandem.

I would assume they would run on the old trophy system, and when you move to PS4/PS5 it just converts them into new values based on the new system. That or they will make changes to PS3 and VITA Operating Systems much later. I'd wager it's all about the new hotness of the PS5 for them for the forseeable future. But hey, who knows? We'll have to wait and see.

"The new Trophy levels will be reflected in all locations that Trophy levels are shown, including past systems"

7 minutes ago, Agent_Renegade22 said:

As someone stated early, Sony should just implement an option similar to Xbox' for tracking the progression of trophies.

That would be really useful.

These changes don't really bother me but I have to say that current level progression becomes really slow after lvl 18-20? So a change can be positive in that way.

They are going to have tracking but only for PS5. There was a leaked article about it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Klart said:

Well, yeah, but there are also ten new levels now that are clear immediately: the new icons. So a new icon is kinda cool to strive for.

The icon thing I find interesting, but it could have the same thing without multiplying the current one by x100 or more just to have "999" levels.

Many levels without a purpose, just multiplying the values to me just makes it seem less interesting.

I’d be pretty surprised if this is anything more than slight massaging of interpretation using the exact same back-end values. After all, trophies mean nothing to the majority, and too much to our minority, so massive changes would be a silly move on their part.

In the end, the way I see it, if the changes come and it changes people’s positions on the leaderboards - relative to one another - that’s not good.
If they come in and make the existing data nicer to look at, or more granular, but everyone’s relative position stays the same, that’s fine.

The only thing in the blog post that suggests it might affect people’s positions relative to eachother is the ‘platinums count more’ bit - I can’t really figure what that means, short of adding more points values to a plat (it’s 180 now I think, or equivalent of 12 bronze?) which could potentially make ‘soft’ plats even more desirable as compared to ‘hard’ plats (i.e. 100% including dlc)

Edited by DrBloodmoney

1 hour ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Your UR overestimation aside, that has little to do with the mixed messaging in the blog post. Rarity does not appear to factor in the trophy leveling changes which makes it strange to bring up at all in this context. 

I get what you're saying, the thing is is that maybe I should have said 90%.

31 minutes ago, anilcanballi said:

Only interesting thing is tracking trophies and that is the only unconfirmed thing. Let’s  wait and see..

I can tell you it’s pretty much confirmed, they only deleted it due to not being the proper post to announce it.

Probably saved for another post with UI, System, Accounts and other stuff.

3 minutes ago, talespagni said:

By the look of it, thousands of people in the world will be 999 from now on.

Seems like the 999 cap will be outdated pretty quickly.

I think that’s the general assumption but no one will know for sure until it’s rolled out. Many who are “stuck” at 100 may be pleasantly surprised to have new goals to strive for. However, someone like Hakoom is more likely to be 999 but we won’t know for sure. 

Just now, KondeBra said:

I couldn't care less for the current level system, I barely notice my level these days, any change could be an improvement.

Same, I've gone months playing games, getting multiple platinums and see my level has only gone up once or twice. Current systems seems very unfulfilling and feels similar to the injustice lvl 100 grind.

Getting to lvl 70 is easy, but those last 30 levels are 50x the current amount of xp you have earned.

As a new trophy hunter, its quite a nice change having badges to aim for. 

Perhaps we will get a notification when we level up?

I’d be interested to know if Sly knew about this in advance - it would seem a bit unfair on him otherwise as this will presumably require a lot of work to manage?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:
2 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

Great! I've been stuck at level 100 for over a year now, and top trophy hunters like Hakoom have been stuck there for 4 or 5 years. This change is long overdue.

Wont it mean that you will now be stuck on level 999 instread. Wont a maxed out level 100 in old money now work out to a maxed level 999 or wont it work that way

28 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

"The new Trophy levels will be reflected in all locations that Trophy levels are shown, including past systems"

I'm in the camp of "somehow missed that". That is interesting though, I wonder if it's just a server side thing or if the Vita and PS3 will be receiving updates in order to update the new trophy levelling system (for offline purposes, presumably. Or maybe it will just revert to the old levelling system when not connected to PSN).

26 minutes ago, bikeman223 said:

I'm interested to see how these changes impact the 'Level History' section on this site.

I'm hoping they keep your old level history alongside the new one, but I realise that may just be a pipe dream. Got a feeling it's gonna take some time before the changes are correctly reflected here nonetheless.