Are you happy for PS+ Games to be referred to as 'free'?

DrBloodmoney

Are you happy for PS+ Games to be referred to as 'free' in topic discussions?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy for PS+ Games to be referred to as 'free' in topic discussions?

• Yes
    • No

The Instant Games Collection (do people still call it that?) titles are not free by any means. In my eyes you spend money on a PlayStation Plus subscription, part of that revenue goes to the developers/publishers of the game(s) that are offered to make up for what could be proper sales. When exclusives are being offered along with Sony running the service, I imagine only third party publishers are the ones in need of compensation.

Again, nothing is truely free when running a PlayStation console, however I don't see a good enough reason not to keep referring to these games as "free". Imagine how annoying it would be to go from calling these "free games" after years of habit to then elaborate on how the IGC isn't free at all whenever I discuss the perks of being a PS Plus Member.

That's all I'm going to say about this.

Edited by Slim Vanilla

Jeez this is dumb, why are we making such a big deal about nothing?

The games are free if you own ps+. That doesnt mean they are free, because ps+ is a paid for service. When people talk about it, they say they are free, and of course means they are, provided you're already subscribed. Why have a long pointless discussion about definition?

The other thread still has people discussing about PS+... mission failed. You'll get them next time.

(Will you get them next time or is that a fallacious argument because there's no way to know if you'll get them or not? If you do get them, will it be free? Who knows?)

being realistic in terms of value it's worth it, and if you pay for a year you get your money back within one good month, basically this month right now. so calling the rest free isnt exactly a stretch.

I dislike things like sony neglecting to give ps5 users the ability to back up to a usb drive ultimately forcing a trophy hunters' hand into buying it just for that. but I've always been happy to cough up for the year, early ps4 days other then resogun and dead nation i remember everything being just crap. but they did get better as time went on.

sony give me games and a reliable service, just wish it was a bit more consumer friendly.

I'd buy ps+ without the games, so they are free to me.
I pay to have online sever maintenance and cloud saving. Everything else is just an added bonus.

11 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

being realistic in terms of value it's worth it, and if you pay for a year you get your money back within one good month, basically this month right now. so calling the rest free isnt exactly a stretch.

I dislike things like sony neglecting to give ps5 users the ability to back up to a usb drive ultimately forcing a trophy hunters' hand into buying it just for that. but I've always been happy to cough up for the year, early ps4 days other then resogun and dead nation i remember everything being just crap. but they did get better as time went on.

sony give me games and a reliable service, just wish it was a bit more consumer friendly.

Not if you already own control, don't care either way about the other two. 
A "meh" month for me. Concrete Genie was a fun few hours, but I wouldn't have paid for it even if it was $1.

The past few months have been pretty shit, other than maneater which is the only game I would have paid money for. Bugsnax was barely okay I think, I'm glad it was only 8 hours because it got pretty boring by the end.

I think if you game on a budget ps+ is worth it for the games, but if you buy games you want day1 most people already own them by the time they come to ps+ anyway, which is why people consider them a free bonus.

As someone pointed out to me a while back (let me be clear I don't care what u call them I'm just passing on what was explained to me) 

Some years mathematically the games plus the services provided kinda do make the game free but only sometimes for example a year where there's more big titles that regularly cost 40+ and the less costly titles around 20 dollars if we are only paying 60 dollars (some of us use sites like cdkeys for a great discount) the sum total we would pay per game is less than a penny of the subscription cost that's just the games we get then add in the multiplayability and the cloud storage and we are effectively making out like bandits because while yes we pay for a service but we are given content that far exceeds the small some we are out

But again someone pointed out netflix hulu ect are the same granted hulu mostly has tv shows u could have watched free while in broadcast. 

And for those saying we basically are just renting those games from ps plus...... We are basically just renting any and all digital content period it can be taken away at any time no matter how much you paid for it it's not our property (good reason to buy and take care of physical media right? ) 

I pay Amazon Prime to get the free expedition, doing so I also gain access to other services such as Prime Video. On Prime Video I can see most movies/series for free with no additional cost but for some I still have to pay. I know that I pay Amazon, but I will call all movies that I can access with no addition cost 'free' because it's clearer and faster to say. If I pay 3$ a month for Amazon Prime and the only thing I do with it is watching 3 movies, we can say that I pay each movie 1$. They are not free movies, but still I will call them free anyway because having to specify all this everytime it's boring.

In my language -and also in English- we don't have a single word for 'no additional cost' but we do have it for 'free' so it's faster to say, even if it's less accurate.

PS+ it's the same, I pay for the online and I also get games with no additional cost.

Fun fact: in my country we had a similiar debact about the gender of the Nintendo Wii console. Is the word Wii a male-name or a female-name? Knowing this will change the article accordingly and no one seem to care about the fact that foreign word in my language should be considered female and used in their singular form, everyone just kept on bragging about what it sound better to their hear.

• Like 2

Beyond being presumptuous of some hidden meaning every single person means when they use the term "free" (as if some people don't truly believe the games are free), the people defending the people labelling the games as "free" are also by default defending degeneracy, laziness, and/or the intentional misuse of grammar. There so many alternately easy, correct ways people can say they received a game from PS+ with the same amount of words or less than their incorrect way that falsely uses the "free" adjective: i.e., "I got it free from PS+"/"Was given out free from PS+"/"Received it free from PS+"/"The free games for this month are" to "I got it from PS+"/"Was given out from PS+"/"Received it from PS+"/"The games for this month are". Plenty more variations. The utterly misleading use of "free" is easily avoidable and entirely unnecessary.

Edited by EcoShifter

People type they are “free” as it is shorter than to type it is “free with PS Plus”.

Yet, people always jump them for not spelling it out every time.  You know what they mean.  Good grief.

EDIT- And good point on Amazon “free shipping”.  Do these same people who get so triggered by calling PS Plus games “free” also go off when a friend says they are getting something because they have free shipping from Amazon (and don’t spell out they pay for Prime each and every time).

Edited by djb5f

1 minute ago, djb5f said:

People type they are “free” as it is shorter than to type it is “free with PS Plus”.

Yet, people always jump them for not spelling it out every time.  You know what they mean.  Good grief.

Agree for the most part. My only gripe with calling games “free” is when Sony gives their ridiculous “You saved X dollars!” nonsense (and when other posters praise Sony for it as if they’re giving everyone such a great deal).

3 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Agree for the most part. My only gripe with calling games “free” is when Sony gives their ridiculous “You saved X dollars!” nonsense (and when other posters praise Sony for it as if they’re giving everyone such a great deal).

Absolutely agree.  I would get very few of the “free” games given us, much less pay current prices.  So no, it is definitely not that value they claim.  I definitely ignore that lol.

On 04/02/2021 at 1:25 PM, EcoShifter said:

The people defending the people labelling the games as "free" are also by default defending degeneracy, laziness and/or the intentional misuse of grammar.

Wait, so you're a degenerate for including an extra word in your sentence? lolwut

Edited by Eagle

You can make a thread of the smallest things. ?

55 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

Beyond being presumptuous of some hidden meaning every single person means when they use the term "free" (as if some people don't truly believe the games are free), the people defending the people labelling the games as "free" are also by default defending degeneracy, laziness, and/or the intentional misuse of grammar. There so many alternately easy, correct ways people can say they received a game from PS+ with the same amount of words or less than their poor and incorrect way that falsely uses the "free" adjective: i.e., "I got it free from PS+"/"Was given out free from PS+"/"Received it free from PS+"/"The free games for this month are" to "I got it from PS+"/"Was given out from PS+"/"Received it from PS+"/"The games for this month are". Plenty more variations. The utterly misleading use of "free" is easily avoidable and entirely unnecessary.

And overanalyze this by a lot.