Forums

1. PSNProfiles

1. Announcements

Site announcements will be posted here.

If you've found a bug or have any feedback or suggestions, post here.

3. Community Events, Contests & "We Plays"

Official events/contests or just generally gaming related

1. 26.7k

To access a game's sub-forum, navigate via the games page

1. 12.4k

1. Off Topic

For the threads that don't fit anywhere else. Almost anything goes.

Discuss movies, TV and music you've been watching and listening to.

Discuss the world of sports with other sports fans.

Show off your skills or check out user-made wallpapers, signatures and other graphics.

Introduce yourself to the PSNProfiles community and get to know your fellow forumites.

The premium member only forum. Support PSNProfiles by upgrading to premium to gain access.

• New Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• DesmaBR

I'm impressed by Wreckfest

Booted the game up and immediately I chose a race in Career Mode and I'm racing.
      Didn't even give me a tutorial. That's refreshing.
      · 0 replies
    • x49ersblitzkreig

Update on MW remastered: I finally beat one shot one kill. I am now on the level ultimatum. Imma finish the game tomorrow bc I'm burnt out. 
      · 3 replies
    • modest_undue1

hey everyone
      just letting you know if you ever need any help with mental health or just someone to chat with you're always welcome in my PMs
      · 1 reply
    • Honor_Hand

Platinum #209 - Honkai: Star Rail (PS5)

Hopping aboard a spectacular starward journey like no other

Second PS5 platinum in my collection, and would you look at that, it just so happens to be yet another game from HoYoverse. Given how much I enjoyed playing Genshin Impact, this platinum should come as no surprise. I had a deep interest in this title ever since it was first shown, and I was kind of expecting to play it on the PS4 when it came out. As luck would have it, though, that PS4 version would eventually end up silently canned, which I guess you could say was one of the reasons that made me prioritize getting a PS5.

Back when it premiered in 2020, Genshin Impact sent a massive shockwave throughout the gaming industry. "A Free-to-Play gacha game that is crazy expansive, has one of heck an involving story, compelling characters, and just looks and sounds gorgeous? That doesn't exist." Or at least that's what we thought back then. 3 years later, and now HoYoverse presents us with one of their latest projects — a sci-fi, turn-based take on their already established killer formula. I may not have played Honkai Impact 3rd before (Star Rail here is, technically, the fourth game in the series), but this space-trotting experience has so far felt refreshingly new yet familiar at the same time. Considering the success of its big sister game, Genshin, there's no doubt this one is already on its way to becoming another gaming behemoth.

Ready to hop abord this interstellar travel?

Without a shadow of a doubt, one of the game's strongest aspects is its captivating story, charming characters, and carefully crafted worlds. I say worlds, in plural, because each planet feels like its own microcosm, complete with its own unique inhabitants, culture, and problems. I'm hardly a connoisseur of RPGs, but the game does give me a feeling of Star Ocean, albeit delivered through an entirely different philosophy. To understand it better, it's paramount to know a few things beforehand. The sci-fi universe of Honkai Star Rail is one in which humanity and other sentient beings follow the Paths of deity-like existences known as Aeons. Those who follow these Paths are often known as Pathsriders. More important than that is that each of these Paths is based on an ideal. So, in that sense, you have characters who follow the Path of Erudition, who admire thinking and logic above all else. Then, there are those from the Harmony Path, who are all about understanding, support, and cooperative behavior.

Each one of these has a different relationship with one another. They may inhabit and co-exist in certain places throughout the cosmos, but some may have a clear antagonistic role, such as the Path of Destruction led by the Aeon Nanook, which seeks total annihilation. Others may have rivalries, like the Abundance and The Hunt. And then, there are other Paths that although may no longer have an Aeon, those who walk them still carry their ideals with conviction. You, as the Trailblazer, play as a character from this last group. Led at one point by the Aeon Akivili, the Trailblaze Path is all about exploring, establishing, and connecting different worlds.

In this universe, not everything is particularly clear from the beginning. The game's prologue sets out with an attack on the Herta Space Station. During it, you see a group known as the Stellaron Hunters infiltrate the space station while it is under siege from monsters of the Antimatter Legion. They steal a Stellaron that was being held there and place it inside a vessel, whose name and gender you get to decide. After you awaken, they wipe out your memory, let you know what's ahead for you, and then leave while you fall unconscious. From there, you begin your adventure as a classic anime-like amnesiac protagonist. Not long into the game, you discover your first couple of friends: the always-bubbly and endearing March 7th and the stern, somewhat grumpy Dan Heng. They are both part of the Astral Express, a group of trailblazers that travel the universe on a large cosmic train along the eponymous "Star Rail." Your new friends inform you that the Stellaron you've been implanted with, often scarily referred to as the "Cancer of all Worlds", is a destructive MacGuffin known to bring entire planets and civilizations to ruin. With the aid of your new Astral Express buddies, you then set out on a universe-trotting expedition to discover more about these Stellarons and hopefully put an end to their threat.

More or less a summary of what happens later in the story

Right now, there are four major areas or "planets" to visit in the game: Herta Space Station, Jarilo-VI, the Xianzhou Luofu, and the recently added Penacony. The main story arc will take you on a trip through these four as you seek not only to explore the cosmos with your companions but also to find answers and contain the Stellarons. Genshin Impact already has a very strong narrative. There's no denying that that game's focus is squarely placed on its characters and story. So seeing that replicated, and maybe even enhanced, in Honkai Star Rail is a joy to behold. Well, maybe not exactly "enhanced" per se, as that will depend on the sort of themes and fantasy settings you favor in your games. Nevertheless, HSR is unapologetic in its story delivery and how well-written the characters you get to meet are. Each character's charisma shines through whether it is through their articulate writing or their top-notch voice acting. Sure, maybe the writing can be a bit too much at times, and a couple of them may come off as a little cliché, but the developers' strong sense of world-building is always there.

The main story, much like its big sister game, is not finished yet and it is something the developers will continue expanding as the years go by. But from what I've seen so far, it is a superb narrative that really brings out the best of each character's personality while also playing with the intrigue of the current turmoil of whatever planet you've happened to land at the moment. Plot twists abound, and they are of the exceptionally good kind. So, it starts somewhat light with a solid, if only slightly predictable, predicament in Jarilo-VI. There, you'll see the political conflict and divide that exists between two worlds that were once one due to the deception of a single individual. Plenty of internal questioning as to the actions of this particular person is what carries the plot here, and this first arc culminates in a rather understandable and maybe even relatable realization. That said, how cohesive everything is and the intrigue of it all is what drives the player forward in their trailblazing.

A look at Belobog, one of the first cities you'll get to visit during your adventure

I don't want to spill the beans on the major plot points that come later, but it is the kind of story that gets its hooks deep on you. Whether it is through neck-shattering plot twists or the deep Doylean intrigue of discovering a murder inside dreams, the game always does its best to provide story bits that are impactful, thought-provoking, and above all, engaging. And regarding the "neck thing," those of you who've played it know what I'm talking about. I really hope she's alright... And that's one thing that brings me to my next point about the story. It has some dark undertones. They are not front-and-center and more like implicit at times, but much like Genshin's Fontaine chapter, there's an effort being made here to present more adult themes. Of course, they're all evenly balanced out with lighthearted jokes and the positiveness of some of our companions, but this elasticity is what sets the game's storytelling apart and keeps you engaged without going too far.

This excellence is not only reserved for the main story arc, as several of the NPC's side quests and event quests have been just as enjoyable. Granted, not all of them. I really don't want to push any more mine carts in Belobog ever again, but many others were memorable and managed to carve their way into my heart. Although you may find quest-heavy characters like Oleg and unforgettably-named NPCs like A Man Who Wishes Not To Be Named, interesting backstories touching on a variety of complex subjects abound in Honkai Star Rail. If I had to pick a couple of favorites from the ones I've experienced so far, I'd go with:

From Xianxhou With Love, which deals with the complexities of being a social outcast and the loneliness that comes with it in an advanced society. Blizzard Immunity, which delivers a bittersweet finale to Natasha's long-exiled brother. That quest that involved Clara and the possibility of sentient robots, which has an excellent dynamic with Svarog, Pascal, and her; Rarely Affectionate was its name. Unlike the quest where you move mine carts, Vessel of Mediocrity, the one where you move boxes is kind of morbid and involves a child having a tragic end if you dig deep enough. More recently in Penacony, Cocona's broken dreams and crippling depression quest put a heavy knot in my heart, especially by how it played until the very end.  

This quest was super sweet, too!

The game's compromise to storytelling is undeniable. From the million interactions you'll have with NPCs to the wealth of details hidden in every nook and cranny, there's a lot you can get here. Hell, even the trashcans that adorn Belobog can elicit all manner of neatly written (maybe even overwritten!!) reactions. I swear, in addition to the truckloads of lore you get in the form of letters, books, and documents, there's also a whole hidden lore that has yet to fully surface from the trailblazer's love for trashcans, which is something that has become kind of a meme even. Word of advice, this is the kind of stuff you don't want to look for while you visit Gelbooru or other similar sites. Trust me.

All jokes aside, I wish could talk more about how you also got a phone that's both a treasure trove of sidequests and a major source of amusement from all the inconsequential occasional conversations that occur there, but also about the significant addition that represents making major events a permanent addition to the game that you can tackle whenever you want. But really, let's move over to gameplay now because I already have like 9 paragraphs of story and that's just insane.

Some of your answers to these conversations are just pure genius

As mentioned over nine thousand words or so ago, HSR is HoYoverse's first turn-based RPG. Although simple, there's a reasonable amount of things to consider in terms of strategy if you wish to succeed in combat. Each character is a combination of two types: a class (the Paths I mentioned earlier) and an elemental alignment. So, in that sense, characters from the Preservation Path have great defensive abilities to protect their allies; folks from the Abundance are healers for the most part; The Hunt are your single-target damage dealers; while Nihility focus on debuffs and reducing the capacities of the enemy. Couple these with Destruction, Erudition, and Harmony and you have an interesting array of possibilities you can bring to the battlefield.

Furthermore, you have also to consider their elemental affinity. Enemies often have 2 to 3 weaknesses. Dealing elemental damage that they are weak to causes their toughness bar to reduce, leading them to suffer extra damage whenever a weakness break occurs. Just as the days of the week count to seven (and the elements in Genshin, too!), gamers here will get to explore seven types of damage: Fire, Ice, Lightning, Wind, Physical, Quantum, and Imaginary. You, the Trailblazer, are the only character that can adapt their Path and damage type, but everyone else is, for the most part, stuck in theirs.

Get mahjong'ed, you fiend!

Now, each character has a basic attack, a skill attack, an ultimate, and a couple of passive talents. Compared to other more complex RPGs which provide multiple variables to consider and play with, one can say HSR falls somewhat short here. However, once you start reaching the endgame, you'll realize the game is more about character and team-building than anything else. More of that in a bit. For the main content of the game, the story and the vast majority of its sidequests, you can easily complete those with the free 4* characters you get throughout the story. Boss battles and some elite enemies may put you on your toes, but it is here where a rather careful approach to leveling and food buffs will help you overcome those. To see the whole story, so long as you level up carefully, you should be able to see it all.

Yet, at the same time, for the later stages of the game, you will have to build a roster with great team synergy if you want to have the possibility of beating everything. Stuff like manipulating turn order with the correct speed stats, balancing skill point generation and consumption, knowing the ideal time to interrupt turn order and when to use your ultimates prove critical in clearing the harder content found within the game. That's without mentioning the necessity of assembling two teams of at least 8 properly leveled-up characters. For players who value optimization, strategy, and figuring out how to beat that dreaded boss that's been stomping you for days, there's plenty of meat here.

My next play is going to ensure all my future moves hurt the enemy a lot~

So, in short, the combat may be simple and with a tendency to become repetitive, but for the later portions of the game, deep thinking and strategizing with your characters is still required to make it through. It's a careful balance of making things approachable for everyone and at the same time making things deep enough for those who wish to dip their toes further. And hey, the developers were still nice enough to allow for increased speed and automatization should you wish to go through the combat at a quicker pace. Personally, I used this feature a great deal for the small fights I was sure to win and only assumed control against bosses and certain pesky enemies. The AI works decently enough on its own, knowing when to heal and attack, but if you need to play defensively or deploy a specific strategy, then it's better to assume control yourself.

Randomness also plays an interesting part in the game since, depending on what characters you get, some portions could become easier or harder for you. Regardless of this aspect, charting your own path and using the ample resources the game provides you with becomes integral to beating any challenging scenario. And for those who enjoy rogue-lite features, there's also the Simulated Universe, the true endgame content of the game where you can pit your carefully built characters and teams, bestow all manner of crazy buffs upon them, and then go against all manner of super-powered bosses for extra rewards and personal satisfaction.

On the opposite side of good randomness, the game also decided to keep the same infuriating artifact system found in Genshin but with relics this time around. Anyone familiar with it on that other game will know what I'm talking about. Relics in Honkai Star Rail function as the gear you equip to your character to boost them up. Thing is, getting the desired stats and then having the desirable substats boosted the way you want them is all down to luck. Sure, the game has a feature that lets you craft your own relics by using some other resources, but you still get to waste time stressing over getting things the way you need them.

This Propagation boss is a pain in the ass if you are not careful how you approach this fight

When it comes down to presentation, the game does remarkably well. Obviously, the PS5 port is a treat to watch running at 60 FPS and 4K, and while some might argue that a turn-based game doesn't benefit that much from those features, there's no question as to how smooth the attack animations and everything look. Colorful, crisp, vivid, and attractive are adjectives that come to my mind when looking at the game. I can confidently say that HSR's visual theme and identity are always doing their best to pop out at you. From Jarilo-VI's frigid snowy wastelands and imposing Preservation fortress smack-dab in the middle of an early 1900s European-inspired doomsday city, to the Luofu's "future China" "silkmight" aesthetics or Penacony's Art Deco and bright neon reminiscing of a place that never sleeps (despite everyone being in a dream), HoYo's penchant for showing us truly marvelous locations remains unchanged here.

On the audio front, I did something interesting this time around. While I might have grown accustomed to hearing Japanese voices in my anime-style games, I'm always open to trying out new stuff. So, for my HSR experience, I decided to go with the English voice cast. And talk about a surprise, but I've been feeling really comfortable with the talent behind the game. Whether through dialogue, narration, or inner thoughts, each character's voice is masterfully realized in the English language. It didn't take long at all for me to acclimate myself thanks to the talent, excellent pronunciation, and charisma of the cast. It's important to mention that lively voice performances make up for a ton of my enjoyment of certain quests. However, in many cases, be mindful that you'll have to come ready for plenty of text-only interactions as well. Fret not, though, as sharp, expressive writing will do its best to hold your attention as well.

On the music side, I reckon this game's compositions haven't been as impactful or emotional as some of the stuff I've heard in Genshin, but they are nothing short of astounding either. The music on offer by the folks at HOYO MIX continues to be very potent whether it's headbanging boss battle themes, soothing, more serene space voyage motifs, or glitzy, yet somewhat unsettling dreamy tunes. They all punctuate the actions happening on the screen in a great manner, and best of all, there's an absolute smorgasbord of them to listen to. Standouts include:

Star Rail Space Walk Flashpoint Dawn of Disaster Alternative Rock Braving the Cold Faded Sun (Great Mine) Frozen March Wildfire Divine Camaraderie Warden of Jade Blade Abracadabra Deerstalker Phantylia the Undying The Big Sleep Realitätsprinzip This Side of Paradise Chaîne Signifiante The Player on The Other Side Nevermore If I Can Stop One Heart From Breaking  

The color composition of the Divination Commission in the Xianzhou Luofu is stunning

Trophy-wise, the game sits on the easy side. However, acquiring its coveted platinum is an effort in time and dedication. A large chunk of the trophies are simply awarded by taking part in what the game best has to offer, its story. Through completing side quests, clearing companion missions, participating in major events (now made permanent), and furthering your space exploration and Stellaron-thwarting efforts, you'll acquire most of the game's achievements. Even most of the DLC trophies that have been added since launch have been related to story content. Many of them are very creatively named, so I always looked forward to popping them out. That said, there is such an astounding amount of quests in the game and they have such high amounts of information that tackling them all simultaneously could feel like a chore. Therefore, I recommend trying to clear a set number of them per day to avoid feeling "quest exhaustion." Although, I reckon this could be hard because when you reach a certain level, you'll feel like you're being bombarded with quests left and right, especially if you do as I did and focus mainly on the main arc and leave the side quests for luego.

Clearing both Jarilo-VI and the Xianzhou Luofu is a must should you wish to obtain the platinum. However, besides the myriad of quests (of which I still have a handful pending to complete), your most time-consuming trophy will be Don't Make This Too Easy (III), which requires you to max out your Equilibrium level to make enemies yield better rewards. Due to the live service nature of the game, you can expect to hop on the treadmill of having to spend time and resources to level up your characters enough until they can handle the difficulty. You need to wait for your "fuel" to recharge each day and, even though you can tackle the story to your heart's content, raising up your characters is limited to having to wait for stuff to recharge. Reaching this point took me about 200 hours, twice the amount mentioned in the guide here. However, take into consideration that I like taking my time with the games to enjoy them. That and I also tackled plenty of the story, DLC included, way before I started to make a clear effort on the platinum.

You'll really be going places during your HSR adventure!

Also, depending on which characters or light cones you get, things change. It's all set up in a way that remains fair, but if you get blessed with 5* characters early on, things progress rapidly. Unlike in Genshin, where I got a nice number of powerful waifus to accompany me from early on, my HSR playthrough instead blessed me with various 5* husbandos... And since I'm stubborn as fuck and my team MUST be of waifus only, I purposely limited myself during my playthrough. That said, my team of March 7th, Sushang, Qingque, Himeko, Herta, Pela, Tingyun, and Yukong were more than capable of carrying me throughout my adventure. They aided me to enjoy the story and to clear a good chunk of the game. I only have 1 DLC left to obtain, Silent Running, which is for clearing a certain advanced part of the Simulated Universe, the endgame content. It'll be obtained eventually after I run some more optimizations on my team and whatnot. It's mainly a matter of time.

Should you wish to tackle HSR, remember that this is a live service gacha game, with a constant stream of new content and events coming out on a schedule. The idea here is that the goal is at some point where you want it to be and you need to strive to make progress toward that goal regularly. Fortunately enough, the more bite-sized approach and automation ease that HSR presents you is enough to make it very easy to keep up with.

My gals are still waiting for me to finish this quest o3o

TL;DR: HoYoverse already had a winner with Genshin, but now with Honkai Star Rail out, there should be no doubts as to the level of quality these developers can produce. HSR is an exceptional free-to-play game that offers a bevy of value, stellar storytelling, engrossing characters, out-of-this-world immaculate worldbuilding, and production values of the highest caliber. The turn-based combat system on display may be a tad simple at times, but it still manages to be accessible for newcomers and deep enough for those willing to go the extra mile with optimizations and team compositions.

The grind is there, as it exists with every gacha game, but the developers have made sure to address almost every concern to provide a fair and straightforward approach for everything to progress in the smoothest of ways. It truly is a live service game done right in almost every regard. For those looking to venture into a universe brimming with possibilities and excitement, Honkai Star Rail provides the best seat for an anime-style journey into the stars like no one else does.

· 1 reply
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      2.9m
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ATH0498